Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Plan Konnie, it'll also give us an advantage in that the kobolds will be lit up and we'll be in the shadows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Plan Konnie. Let's split, Tommy, Abigail and daggerteer take one side, we take the other.

Kvelar (our cousin?) can try to take some shots over the lake when they are distracted by Tommy or try to pin down the archers. I don't know if the range works for this.

I'm a bit worried about the lake. It probably allows the kobolds to walk through it, making the "go through the sides strategy" a good way for US to get cornered. Eh, let's risk it. But reassess the second one of those little shits starts doing something funny related to the lake. Turn off torches as we walk past them. Do leave one "on" behind us, don't want to give the kobolds the option to fight in the dark. And unusually bright torches may come in handy later.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hey Thaum, are giant slimes a thing that exist? Would, specifically, a giant slime colony resembling a lake be a thing that might exist, and might it be dense enough for a rock to just sit on top of?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Okay, so:

Ask Kvelar if kobolds are less inconvenienced by the brightness (he has fought monsters most).

Also, as per some IRC prodding, we know that the kobolds in squares A11 and B3 are archers, and the kobolds ins squares A6 and F7 are the unarmed ones. This means that if we sweep the North, we'll get both archers, as well as only having to face one armed kobold. Also, the closest kobold to us on the South who is actually armed is in square F4, that is, quite a far away, meaning we are not risking an immediate flank from there.

So I say: Have our fast attackers (Konnie and Khami -> Khami can hang back and create openings with his chains so that Konnie can go for the throat) gank the closest archer. Kvelar will try to shoot the far archer, but if he fails, he should follow the Northern group. The intent here is to sweep the North quickly so that we can kill the archers (by far the most deadly kobolds) quickly.

We go with Tommy across the southern flank, letting Tommy take the point. The purpose of this manouver is to prevent the far archer kobold from circling around to avoid the Northern flank.

Abigail should hang back and keep busy by extinguishing torches. (we should keep one or so in reserve tho, I want to test throwing one into the weird hissing shuffling goo lake after we're done here.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Question Time

IRC posted:

20:01 Theantero Also, Kvelar's crossbow only shoots accurately to ranges of about 4 tiles right?

Since most of the battles you have fought have taken place outside, large distances have been condensed so as to make the battle-map fit into tables.
However, the inside of a mine is much more cramped, and distances are much more easily represented. For the purposes of indoor fights; Kvelars range is doubled.
Outdoors: 4 tiles. Indoors: 8 tiles.

IRC posted:

(paraphrased) What sound is the lake actually making? 'pff' doesn't say much.

It is reminiscent of the sound of oil being heated in a frying pan, a sharp hiss that is also akin to a fuse lit on fire. It is a sound that means business.

Theantero posted:

Ask Kvelar if kobolds are less inconvenienced by the brightness (he has fought monsters most).
"Eh? I dunno, altho they cleared out all da lights we've seen in da mine thus far, cannae rightly tell why 'tis so bright in here. Suppose they might ha' different eyes, on accoun'ta being lizard?

There Bias Two posted:

Hey Thaum, are giant slimes a thing that exist? Would, specifically, a giant slime colony resembling a lake be a thing that might exist, and might it be dense enough for a rock to just sit on top of?

You are not a slimegeneer, but you know green slimes at least can grow at an *alarming* rate, enough that with a good mould and an expert calcifier, an entire business could be run off of their backs.
The Empire has many such factories, producing most consumer-goods that would otherwise be made out of increasingly rare wood.
What would happen to a slime that wasn't calcified, killed or otherwise prevented from growing? What would happen if one was fed, deliberately, often, and well?
You shudder to think of the consequences. Yes. It would be all too possible. Is that what has happened here? The lake, if it is one, is brightly shimmering in the torchlight.
It offers no response to your query.

Its too far away to be certain, but you think the stone might have sunk just a little. One part of you hopes it hasn't simply dissolved.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Let the party know that probably is actually a giant slime and they should treat it with caution

QUESTION: If this is a slime, which prefers the dark, what effect would the bright light have on it to the best of our knowledge?

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 23, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Theantero posted:

Abigail should hang back and keep busy by extinguishing torches. (we should keep one or so in reserve tho, I want to test throwing one into the weird hissing shuffling goo lake after we're done here.

IRC (including me) is fairly convinced that we are dealing with a giant slime that has been deliberately grown into a huge size. Since slimes prefer the dark, the torches are most likely here as a measure to keep it docile.

So because of that, I CHANGE the quoted order: Abigail is NOT to extinguish torches, and is instead to keep an eye out for the entrance tunnel to keep watch for flankers.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Lake-Question

There Bias Two posted:

QUESTION: If this is a slime, which prefers the dark, what effect would the bright light have on it to the best of our knowledge?

You know from fighting at least one green slime in the beginning of your career (so not very long ago at all) that green slimes at least fear fire.
But perhaps fear isn't the right word. Slimes aren't very sentient. You know they grow in cold, dark and damp environments. They 'hunt' at night.
Perhaps they sleep during the day? Conserve energy?

The torches make the cavern brighter-than-daytime, perhaps they are keeping this supposed giant-slime pacified, until such a time the Kobolds might need it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Theantero posted:

[/b] Abigail is NOT to extinguish torches, and is instead to keep an eye out for the entrance tunnel to keep watch for flankers.

Backing this

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

CHANGING TO PLAN THE ANTERO

But also throw one torch into the lake because hey, why not?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Plan Theantero with the leave the torches alone addendum!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Nemo posted:

hey, why not?

Because we might enrage a giant slime and die.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

CHANGING TO PLAN THE ANTERO

But also throw one torch into the lake because hey, why not?

See the thing is: We should not aggravate this thing.

In fact, I suggest we try to keep it as is. After the fight we should make a stockpile of torches with our Kobold loot, and have Abigail stay behind and keep them lit. Mainly because I don't want for the torches to run out and then be blocked in a mine by a now-active slime. But also, imagine the money this thing could get us if we manage to keep it docile. Leave a small camp behind after we purge this warren to renew the torches and feed the slime kobold corpses, and the part of the group that returns to town can fetch a slimegineer.

A reward for: 1:) Completing a Quest; 2:) Cleansing a kobold warren and 3:) Selling off an ultra-rare slime for the slimegineer's guild

This mission has the potential to be a goldmine.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Theantero posted:

This mission has the potential to be a gold silver mine.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

Because we might enrage a giant slime and die.

Yes, of course, but on the other hand we might enrage a giant slime. It's risky as hell for little to no rewards, but it's gonna make for a hell of a story to tell in the inn.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Do we get a reward if we kill all the kobolds in the mine, or do we have to clear the mine of all hostiles? Coz if it's the first all the needs to be done is extinguish the lights and leg it.

We need to remember to nail down specifics of contracts in the future.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
B: Plan Abigail
Rush the enemy as quickly as possible; push kobolds into the lake with your superior strength and arms.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Contract Queries

Outrail posted:

Do we get a reward if we kill all the kobolds in the mine, or do we have to clear the mine of all hostiles? Coz if it's the first all the needs to be done is extinguish the lights and leg it.

Through a series of circumstances, you are aware of several rewards this mission might yield, yet you are only Contractually Obligated for one of them.
The mission you have accepted is to A; Find and kill whatever has stopped the mine from operating and B; If possible, figure out WHY it happened. C; Do this in a way which doesn't completely destroy the mine.

With this in mind; yes, you will have to clear the mine of all hostiles or otherwise neutralize all threats if you want to get paid.

As for the signing of of contracts, you are a very skilled accountant and contract writing is incredibly important stuff,
but the tedium is handled off-screen. You are assumed to put all effort into maximising gain and minimizing loss;
but so is whoever is on the other side of the table, and they usually have pretty specific things they need done.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

What happens if we sprinkle salt on a slime?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Cool! I choose B: 'If possible, figure out WHY it happened. '

"The mine was inundated with kobolds who raised an impossibly large green mould. The kobolds and all organic material has been scoured from the mines. The mine is currently inundated with an impossibly large green mould. I'll just take that auxiliary reward there and.... Great, there we go. Good luck guys! Monster hunters, away!"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

If this lake is in fact a giant wad of slime/money, do we actually have any legal right to harvest/profit from it?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
More Answers

hollylolly posted:

What happens if we sprinkle salt on a slime?

It becomes salty.

Outrail posted:

Cool! I choose B: 'If possible, figure out WHY it happened. '

"The mine was inundated with kobolds who raised an impossibly large green mould. The kobolds and all organic material has been scoured from the mines. The mine is currently inundated with an impossibly large green mould. I'll just take that auxiliary reward there and.... Great, there we go. Good luck guys! Monster hunters, away!"

You are free to leave whenever you want. No one is forcing you to complete the mission, however you will not be paid unless you do.

Roland T. Dapperman posted:

If this lake is in fact a giant wad of slime/money, do we actually have any legal right to harvest/profit from it?

That depends entirely on why its there.
If it is a wandering monster, trapped and fed by the kobolds? Then as monster-hunters you have every right to do whatever you want with it, unless your contract stipulates otherwise.
Eg; someone might task you to kill a direwolf rampaging in the countryside, but require you to bring the corpse in to them as part of the contract. Any other un-owned creatures you encounter are yours to do with as you please.
However, if someone can provide proof of ownership, then you would be out of luck. Slimes are a good example as they are often used in heavy industry for all manner of purpose.
A green slime might be used for production, for instance, and even if you were contracted to rid a warehouse of rats you would be held liable should you destroy a work-slime that was accidentally gnawed out of its holding area.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

However, if someone can provide proof of ownership, then you would be out of luck. Slimes are a good example as they are often used in heavy industry for all manner of purpose.

Can we think of a reason that a slime would be needed in a salt mine? As a dwarf we should know this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

[You are free to leave whenever you want. No one is forcing you to complete the mission, however you will not be paid unless you do.

Will we get some measure of compensation for accomplishing B and getting out of here and telling the authorities what's going on in the mine? If so how much?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
E: Before our not-girlfriend leaves, give her a hug and say "I know. It's shown since we entered the caves. I'm proud of you and appreciate you making the efforts. I'm also proud of how you've handled yourself, Abigale."

We'll have to give that sort of 'm proud speech to the others some point, but this works for me for now.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Final Jeopardy

Mr. Nemo posted:

Can we think of a reason that a slime would be needed in a salt mine? As a dwarf we should know this.

You are an accountant, not a miner, but you could hazard a guess.
They might have on-site production of things such as calsified tool-handles, to make maintenance easier, or perhaps particularly resilient builds might be used to construct supportbeams?
Either way, you are in a silver mine, not a salt mine. But the same should hold true across any industry?
You know there are other types of slime than green, all with different properties. back in Grüw you learned about ice-slimes for instance, who make for tasty desserts when properly prepared.
You have also heard that red-slimes are fire resistant.

Outrail posted:

Will we get some measure of compensation for accomplishing B and getting out of here and telling the authorities what's going on in the mine? If so how much?

The Chamberlain of Grüw offered you a bonus if you could figure out the why; but without the how sorted cannot spare any more resources.
Grüw is a comparatively small city, even if it is one of the larger towns you have come across in your travels.
Its main industry has been completely shut down and trade is slowly drying up as the military removes its support to quell the increasing riots.

As an accountant, you can tell the city is in dire straits if something is not soon done to alleviate at least some of its problems.
That said, you might be able to finagle some compensation out of the Chamberlain, but he would likely not be pleased you 'abandoned' the mission.
It would be as if a fire fighters brigade went into a burning orphanage, figured out the fire was caused by a faulty outlet and then left, letting the building burn down around them.

TL;DR: Maybe? Not much.

Various voters posted:

Votes to give compliments to the crew; notably Skvababt and Abigail.

You are always free to question NPCs, however statements operate under different rules and need significant support as it may affect how NPCs see you.
We will have a formal team-performance review when the mission is over, or when the hostilities cease if there is enough interest.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Underground 'Lake'
Month 2, week three, day six
Post-Bedtime!

“Watch out for the lake!” You command your team “It may be a giant, acidic slime!”

This garners you some weird looks, but the fizzing non-sinking stone and weirdly bright torches seem to speak in your favour. Everybody tenses up a little bit, dodging away from the shore.

Konnie! Khami! Kvelar! Go north, get the archers! Tommy, on me! Abigail, make sure no one sneaks up behind us!”

---

Combat begins in earnest when Kvelar does the opposite of everyone else, rushing up to the edge of the 'shore' and leveraging his crossbow at a Kobold at the very edge of his hand-crossbows accuracy.
The bolt, perhaps predictably hits nothing but lake, embedding itself in its surface, further dispelling any belief that it might actually be water.

---

Konnie and Khami rush forward, attempting to thwart the nearest archer before it has a chance to react. Whilst they do manage to catch it by surprise, the torch behind it makes it difficult to fight properly, and Konnies first swipe misses by inches.
Khami has more luck, as his chains are more of an 'area' weapon. Any sort of wrap around the startled enemy is enough for him to press his advantage.
Enveloped in iron, the Kobold archer tries desperately to get a shot off but the only thing emanating from its writhing form is sweat and blood as the chains constrict more and more of it's movement.

---

You follow Tommy towards an unarmed Kobold on your left; Tommy takes no chances and performs a mighty swing with his club, threatening to pulverize anything in its path,
however the nimble Kobold jumps over the blow, scuttles up Tommys back, steals the torch (f8) and does a somersault to land behind you, running way as fast as its little legs can carry it.
You are forced to put your trust in Abigail as a spear-wielding Kobold charges towards your position, threatening you with its pointy stick!

---

The archer Kobold at the other side of the lake (b3) returns fire at Kvelar, but its bolts bounce off the dwarven fighters thick shield.

---

The last unarmed Kobold, thus far unaccousted, extinguishes the torch nearby, creating a small zone of cave-darkness where the lights from the other torches do not reach. (d1)

---

The Spear-Shield team, noticing the plight of the archer to their immediate right promptly ignore it, extinguishing the torch that was stationed next to them instead. (a5) The ambient light-level takes another dip.

---

The acrobatic torch-thief continues its mad dash for the exit, right into the waiting quarterstaff of Abigail. It is immediately knocked out, the torch falling from its claws and landing into the dirt to its side.
She smirks and gives it another bash for good measure.

One down, six to go.

---

1:
The battle has only just started, but the Kobolds seem to be more interested in extinguishing the torches than fighting you. Do you wish to make any last minute changes to your plan, or are you fine with proceeding as-is?
Combat will continue shortly in either case.

A: Keep at it!
Even if they are putting the torches out, you are either confident enough in your abilities to dispatch them swiftly or you do not think it matters if they do manage it.

B: Prioritize keeping the torches safe!
You fear the torches might be holding a giant slime monster at bay, tell ITEC to protect the remaining torches at all costs!

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good and rising, the mood is excited.
You are Lightly Hurt and somewhat rested. You are not hungry. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your side hurts, but not detrimentally] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, not hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [03 kills] [01 assist] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Tommy: Is Healthy, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [03 kills] [01 assist] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, slightly hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Konnie: Is Healthy, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with daggers. [03 kills] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is hungry and she is experiencing the beginning of fatigue. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [01 kills] [02 assists] [Has one of her arms in a splint.] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]

[Bonus Tactical Information]
You have a strong suspicion that the lake is infact a giant slime.
You know slimes tend to avoid bright areas, as they 'hunt' during the night and 'sleep' during the day (for lack of better terms). With the torches lit, the cavern qualifies as a bright area indeed, but what would happen if they came undone?
If your suspicions are true, the Giant Slime would probably awaken to feed.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

B

I was gonna say to send someone to block the exit, but I remembered that Skavbat is guarding the tunnel. I trust her to put an arrow in any kobold that runs her way.

Tell Abiagail to grab the torch next to her and fall back

We have 3/6 torches under our control, if dagger guy moves quickly. With Kvelar also advancing through the northern shore and if we move carefully we should be able to handle this.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 24, 2016

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

B

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

##Vote
1. B

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

##vote
1. B

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Underground 'Lake'
Month 2, week three, day six
Post-Bedtime!

“The torches! Protect the torches!”
Your words echo across the chamber, and you hear several grunts of confirmation coming back to you.

---

Kvelar fires again at the faraway Kobold archer, but even though his target is brightly lit up from behind it manages to dodge out of the way, having seen the bolt incoming. It returns fire but misses completely.

---

Konnie slits the chained-up Kobolds throat and moves to protect the torch (a10) whilst Konnie tries to unravel his chains from the freshly made corpse. Two down, five to go.
Together they begin advancing on the Spear-Shield pair whom seem to be holding firm for now.

---

The unarmed Kobold at the far side reaches his next torchy-prey (a2) and is about to put it out when Tommy, disregarding his own safety for a moment decides to chuck a rock at it from across the lake.
It goes about as well as can be expected, the rock skipping of the wobbly surface of the very suspect liquid and coming to a stop somewhere, harming no-one.

---

The torch suffers the consequences. The lights dim.
With half the cavern now in darkness, you can't help but notice waves on the otherwise peaceful waters.

---

Taking advantage of Tommys temporary role as a ranged fighter, the Spear-bold strikes at him with deadly intent!
You try to intercept with your lightly trampled bog-standard iron buckler, hoping that Kvelars shield training and the recent month of combat experience you have amassed will be enough to deflect the blow threatening your very large friend.

And it is, but just barley. With the sound of a very discreet churchbell you parry the blow, but the Kobold itself is still out of your reach. It snarls at you, trying to find a way around your guard.

---

Abigail makes a grab for the torch next to the dead Kobold, and retreats back out of range of enemy archers, however in so doing the torch is moved further away from the lake, and yet more of its surface is exposed to darkness.
Realizing this, you yell for her to take it back closer to your position but to try to keep in cover. She quickly obliges, not wanting to become slime-food. The Bright light now covers roughly 20% of the lake. Will it be enough?

The still living Kobold archer, now shrouded in darkness, takes aim and fires and you are surprised when the arrow strikes you; not your cousin as it had previously been firing upon.
The arrow penetrates your leather armour, striking you somewhere in the area of your collarbone.

You take a deep gasp, and fall back.

1:
You have been shot.
Casualties are to be expected in any battle, but this is the first time you have taken a serious blow. Your team seems to be following your orders for now.
You know you could call a retreat, but realize doing so would probably end you up in an even worse situation. Still, you know you can't fight in your current condition. What do you do?

A: Plan Medic!!
Yell for Abigail to yell for Johakim so they can drag you out of harms way. Hope Tommy can handle the spearbold on his own.

B: Plan Lay Here And Hope for the Best
Don't interrupt anyone. Don't call attention to your condition. Your team has their orders, let them sort it out.

C: Plan something else?
Write-in.

---

2: How do you feel?

D: I am in rather a lot of pain thank you. I think I'll scream now.

E: Feeling kinda woozy... *faint*

F: I think I’ll just lie down and bite into my shield.

G: Oh (Insert deity here), head my call! Help me in my hour of need!
- What deity? Write-in a prayer.

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good, the mood is excited and concerned.
You are Seriously Hurt. Rest and food are secondary concerns. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [You are in significant pain.] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, not hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [03 kills] [01 assist] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Tommy: Is Healthy, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [03 kills] [01 assist] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, slightly hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally] [01 assists] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Konnie: Is Healthy, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with daggers. [04 kills] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is hungry and she is experiencing the beginning of fatigue. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [01 kills] [02 assists] [Has one of her arms in a splint.] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]

[Bonus Tactical Information]
You are in rather a lot of pain. You can't really remember? Something about slimes? Torches are very bright. They can handle it, right?
Something about gods? Right they.... they might listen? What where they called again?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

##Vote
1. Plan Motivational Screaming. Use the pain to encourage everyone. Direct the violence!

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 24, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

##vote
1. A
2. E

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

gently caress it, leave with the torches. Tactical retreat, have someone carry us while someone goes to alert the medic.

Leave the kobolds with the giant slime, and we keep the torches in the tunnel while we receive medical care. After a while (when the kobold screams stop) we advance with the extra shiny torches. Light a few extra of our own. No need to push the fight into the darkness.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how the kobolds plan to stay safe with an out of control slime in the room. IF that's what we are dealing with.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

BF - Keep our head down.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Pain
???
???

You lay as still as you can in the half-day-half-night of the underground cavern, attempting at once to both scream in pain and remain silent, to give the order to retreat and to give the order to advance.
Nothing make sense anymore, and so you lay still and hope things somehow turn out for the better.

From your vantage point of being face-down in the dirt, you can hear the battle continue around you.

---

Brief scuttles of movement on the opposite shore, a yelp of pain coming from one of the kobolds. The smash of Tommys greatclub nearby reverberates through you to some discomfort, but his grunt of exasperation tell you the club did not hit its intended target.

You hear Abigail yelling. Footsteps approaching.
Your world is filled by Johakims face as he kneels down beside you, his deft hands already poking and prodding you to figure out what's wrong, as if the arrow sticking out of your torso wasn't enough indication.

---

As the duck-and-man pair tend to you and begin pulling you away from the combat-zone, you catch a glimpse of revenge as the enemy archer is finally put down by crossbow-bolts fired by Kvelar.
The northern team is having a bit of a stand-off with the northern Kobolds, but this latest Kobold-setback will probably turn the tide, as Kvelar is now free to engage the shield-bold in a proper meleé,
letting Konnie and Khami work their respective specialities in a much less dangerous context.

The last thing you see before you are dragged out of the cave is the Kobold spearman overextending his reach, striking past Tommys defences but being home-runned as a result.
Its body goes flying into the darkness, it's internals shattered beyond hope. It dies before it hits the ground.

---

The sound of heavy combat continues in the caverns, and soon you are laid down to recuperate away from the worst of it. Johakim is muttering something about bloodloss, when Abigial speaks up.

“Oh! I know what to do! There used to be lots of brawls at the tavern I worked at, yeah? Well sometimes they went too far, too quickly.
One time someone brought out a knife over some petty tavern-quiz mishap, and before you know it Mr. Horton was on the ground bleeding.
Luckily some wandering mercenaries happened to be staying with us, and they used some sort of pouch of alchemical fire to seal the wound before he bled out.
Normally you'd take people to the temple right? But they said it was too far away, that he'd die before that happened.”

“'s some fancy doctorin' I do admit, but where'll ya get a fire that hot out here? And don't you go tellin me to grab the 'Foof'!
For one thing, it ain't here, and for the other it'd be just as likely to collapse the mountain on us before we even got a chance to die of a million kobolds rushin'in to see what the fuss was about."

“Don't need no gnome-crafted explosives, We've got what we need right here.”
Her grin could not be wider even if she grafted a second duck-bill to her face, as she flees and returns moments later with a veritable star in her hand.

There is a tug and a snap, and your life turns into misery and pain.
And light.

All encompassing, beyond-all-reason drowning everything else out living-inside-of-the-sun levels of brightness. You close your eyes, try to shield yourself but it burns, it burns.

---

1: ???
A: Maths.

Maths gives you focus. Count something, anything. How many Kobolds have you killed? How much money have you earned, will you earn, do you have to spend? How many times have you seen Skvababt blink?
Anything. Anything at all. What do you count?

B: Let it go.
The pain is too much. Go somewhere else. You've done it before, why couldn't you do it now?
It's so easy... just... follow the crumbs.

C: Pray.
To whom? What about? Can you even focus enough? Do you even care? Do they?

D: Give in to pain.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

eat a cupcake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

B - Go for a walk.