Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
i don't think libssh is used by anything important.

okay, i decided to actually look at a reverse depends in ubuntu. only non-esoteric thing on there is kde, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

crazypenguin posted:

i don't think libssh is used by anything important.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

code:
/* not harder than this */

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So I got a bunch of python and ruby poo poo that all ties together into one cohesive thing. Am I insane for thinking I can package this into a .deb or ppa? I just want it to dump all the ruby and python files in the proper locations and my .deb will tell apt that I need it to install a bunch of dependencies and than installs all the necessary gems and pip files.

http://chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/663/conversation/the-basics-of-packaging-on-ubuntu-packaging-part-1
http://chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/663/conversation/ubuntu-packaging-for-launchpad-ppas-packaging-part-2

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that sounds extraordinarily awful and may God have mercy on your soul

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

So I got a bunch of python and ruby poo poo that all ties together into one cohesive thing. Am I insane for thinking I can package this into a .deb or ppa? I just want it to dump all the ruby and python files in the proper locations and my .deb will tell apt that I need it to install a bunch of dependencies and than installs all the necessary gems and pip files.

http://chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/663/conversation/the-basics-of-packaging-on-ubuntu-packaging-part-1
http://chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/663/conversation/ubuntu-packaging-for-launchpad-ppas-packaging-part-2

this is a terrible idea, just completely loving wrong

you can't make an OS package that relies on poo poo like rubygems and pypi, it just doesn't work. (not that it hasn't been tried: rpm experimented with integrating CPAN and it was a disaster.)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah if you really want to install with a deb or rpm you want to vendor your dependencies and include them in the archive

(i have no idea how deb works but whatever it's doing, bsd is right, you dont want to be pulling in dependencies)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

im super wet behind the ears with building something like this so it crossed my mind but it didn't seem right. thanks

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a terrible idea, just completely loving wrong

you can't make an OS package that relies on poo poo like rubygems and pypi, it just doesn't work. (not that it hasn't been tried: rpm experimented with integrating CPAN and it was a disaster.)

yeah. if the whole thing was written in C this might make some sense

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you want to distribute binary packages, you need to worry about the details

in python, the canonical method is to use 'virtualenv' to package a complete pre-built set of libraries.

in ruby, you can do the same thing with 'bundler'. ruby also has 'omnibus', which will package a complete ruby runtime with all C deps in addition to the ruby dependencies.

bear in mind when i say "package" i just mean "poo poo out into a directory." you still have to write scripts and poo poo to make an OS package out of it

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you want to distribute binary packages, you need to worry about the details

in python, the canonical method is to use 'virtualenv' to package a complete pre-built set of libraries.

in ruby, you can do the same thing with 'bundler'. ruby also has 'omnibus', which will package a complete ruby runtime with all C deps in addition to the ruby dependencies.

bear in mind when i say "package" i just mean "poo poo out into a directory." you still have to write scripts and poo poo to make an OS package out of it

Cheers. I should probably start hanging out in the terrible programmers thread more.

I've been getting pretty interested in trying to hide data in regular network packets like icmp and I thought this guys linux raw socket examples were pretty neat.
http://www.pdbuchan.com/rawsock/rawsock.html

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

current linux status: had a spare ssd so I decided to throw fedora on it. piece of poo poo can't get past the login without hard freezing and needing a reboot. i had an easier time installing osx.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

current linux status: had a spare ssd so I decided to throw fedora on it. piece of poo poo can't get past the login without hard freezing and needing a reboot. i had an easier time installing osx.

Nvidia 750?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Nvidia 750?

uh... yeah actually. 750ti

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

uh... yeah actually. 750ti

That card is a really odd duck and I had the same issue with mine. I ended up having to drop into the console and install the nvidia driver that way. Works fine after that, and it's a lovely solution I know.

Every other nvidia card I have thrown at Fedora works fine, all the way up to the 980, but the 750 just doesn't like the open source driver. :shrug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

That card is a really odd duck and I had the same issue with mine. I ended up having to drop into the console and install the nvidia driver that way. Works fine after that, and it's a lovely solution I know.

Every other nvidia card I have thrown at Fedora works fine, all the way up to the 980, but the 750 just doesn't like the open source driver. :shrug:

I was about to just give up, but I guess I'll try installing a real nvidia driver.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

I was about to just give up, but I guess I'll try installing a real nvidia driver.

Yeah, not defending Fedora on this at all, it's stupid and bad. Luckily the 750 wasn't a great seller. :shrug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a better card because I'm beginning to realize this one sucks.

I was able to get the NVidia driver installed in single user mode after following a guide, but it crashes on power down or reboot now and also crashed when I tried to install Chrome.

I'm giving up for the night, might try my luck with something else tomorrow.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a better card because I'm beginning to realize this one sucks.

I was able to get the NVidia driver installed in single user mode after following a guide, but it crashes on power down or reboot now and also crashed when I tried to install Chrome.

Odd, I haven't had those issues with my 750. Have you ran dnf update?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Odd, I haven't had those issues with my 750. Have you ran dnf update?

yep. I don't think the other issues are related to the card. I couldn't reboot with "reboot" in single user mode either.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

yep. I don't think the other issues are related to the card. I couldn't reboot with "reboot" in single user mode either.

Oh, yeah. Is /sbin in your path? I think reboot is shoved in there

I always dropped to init 3 for poo poo like this, but it sounds like something is messed up from your install.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 27, 2016

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I always dropped to init 3 for poo poo like this, but it sounds like something is messed up from your install.

probably. i'll look into it some more later. thanks for the help!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

probably. i'll look into it some more later. thanks for the help!

yospos wins again!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

yospos wins again!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
2016 year of Linux on the desktop: except for 750 owners.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I use OpenBSD on my servers and Fedora on my desktop, and I still cannot believe that the OpenBSD upgrade process is the smoother of the two, even though I am reminded every six months.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

despite it's Linux fuckery the 750ti is a v good card
only upgrade if you need to and are buying a 970 p much

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

I use OpenBSD on my servers and Fedora on my desktop, and I still cannot believe that the OpenBSD upgrade process is the smoother of the two, even though I am reminded every six months.

lol openbsd

1980s security plus a single-core firewall implementation, what's not to love?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a centos box in its default configuration with all services enabled is more secure than the most carefully locked down openbsd

because centos has mandatory access control, and openbsd never will

see also: freebsd, solaris, aix, every other linux distribution. pretty much every unix in existence except netbsd, osx, and openbsd.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a centos box in its default configuration with all services enabled is more secure than the most carefully locked down openbsd

because centos has mandatory access control, and openbsd never will

see also: freebsd, solaris, aix, every other linux distribution. pretty much every unix in existence except netbsd, osx, and openbsd.

Now how many of those CentOS boxes haven't had SELinux disabled as the first action after installation because RH is still incapable of getting this poo poo to work right after more than ten years

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

Now how many of those CentOS boxes haven't had SELinux disabled as the first action after installation because RH is still incapable of getting this poo poo to work right after more than ten years

it works fine and it has always worked fine

if you disable selinux first thing after installation that's on you

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
openbsd is so secure it actually doesnt need access control, fedora isnt more secure just because it has a broken bandaid fix in place. its like saying windows 7 is the most secure os because it takes 24 hours to patch it after installation.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

openbsd is so secure it actually doesnt need access control, fedora isnt more secure just because it has a broken bandaid fix in place. its like saying windows 7 is the most secure os because it takes 24 hours to patch it after installation.

openbsd is the most secure because it doesn't need security

by this logic, truly, ms-dos is the most secure, because it doesn't have user accounts :q:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
securest user account is the one that doesnt exist, nobody would rely on account security in dos because it doesnt exist. false sense of security is what gets people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

securest user account is the one that doesnt exist, nobody would rely on account security in dos because it doesnt exist. false sense of security is what gets people

you shouldn't rely on account security in unix, generally. it's a faulty mechanism.

openbsd doesn't give you any realistic security mechanisms, so you are forced to pretend the classic unix primitives are good enough.

they're not.

hence the ms-dos analogy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Ubuntu seems to work. I'll stick with this until I get bored of it and go back to OSX.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it works fine and it has always worked fine

lollin at this

but it's a bitter sort of lol because oh if only what you say were true

gently caress selinux, it is insane over-the-top literal nsa/cia paranoia that someone, somewhere might be using the computer to do something. permission denied! it never truly works "fine" and when it breaks poo poo it is often nigh impossible to tell that the reason why it broke was selinux. eventually you learn through repetition that most of the time the weird bizarre poo poo that breaks on a red hate system is often selinux's fault so you just start disabling the fucker

like that time ssh key files stopped working on one machine and i spent literal months trying to figure out why and ultimately it turned out that some selinux "profile" attribute mysteriously got set wrong on a home dir (by who? gently caress if i know, nobody working there -- myself included -- would have even known to gently caress with it) and selinux stopped allowing ssh to access a file and nothing on any level spit out any kind of diagnostic information that selinux was disallowing something so it was impossible to debug

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I want to get out of this loving OpenEmbedded rabbit hole

It's a thousand something-marginally-better-than-makefiles, with all the usual poo poo that entails: a few thousand variables controlling "make world" and layers of overrides overriding overrides overriding overrides in a loose coupling hell

Build engineering is hard and idk maybe somebody's come up with a build scripting languge that lets you sanely take a holistic view of the process instead of wondering what bullshit incantations you need to copy-paste from elsewhere then twist into shape. Mostly I need some loving sleep ugh fml.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I remember running some openembedded build on my zaurus

it wasn't as useful as pdaXrom

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr Dog posted:

Build engineering is hard and idk maybe somebody's come up with a build scripting languge that lets you sanely take a holistic view of the process instead of wondering what bullshit incantations you need to copy-paste from elsewhere then twist into shape. Mostly I need some loving sleep ugh fml.

ahahahahahahaahah

hahahaha
ahahahaha
a

ahahahahahahahaha

ahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

lollin at this

but it's a bitter sort of lol because oh if only what you say were true

gently caress selinux, it is insane over-the-top literal nsa/cia paranoia that someone, somewhere might be using the computer to do something. permission denied! it never truly works "fine" and when it breaks poo poo it is often nigh impossible to tell that the reason why it broke was selinux. eventually you learn through repetition that most of the time the weird bizarre poo poo that breaks on a red hate system is often selinux's fault so you just start disabling the fucker

like that time ssh key files stopped working on one machine and i spent literal months trying to figure out why and ultimately it turned out that some selinux "profile" attribute mysteriously got set wrong on a home dir (by who? gently caress if i know, nobody working there -- myself included -- would have even known to gently caress with it) and selinux stopped allowing ssh to access a file and nothing on any level spit out any kind of diagnostic information that selinux was disallowing something so it was impossible to debug

selinux is actually pretty easy once you spend the time it takes to sort out how it works