Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

razorrozar posted:

In 3 it was, especially with Anchorage, but in New Vegas you can only get it in 2 places: from Arcade or one of his buddies at the end of his personal quest - which requires you to travel all around the map to even activate it and then again to gather everyone (and some of the people you're gathering won't come with you until you do THEIR quest) - or from the BoS at the end of their questline.

Both of those are pretty time-consuming and don't qualify as "candy" IMO.

New Vegas also had some armor that was pretty much as good if not better than most of the power armor, esp. Since there was only so much damage would be reduced without modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly if you have the DLC for New Vegas you don't really need to bother with power armor at all. You can do Honest Hearts and grab the Desert Ranger combat armor pretty much right from the beginning of the game. Take Jury Rigging at level 14 and you're p much set.

theshim posted:

New Vegas is a pretty drat good game.

:agreed:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

If you aren't stacking crits by having a high Luck stat, taking all the crit chance perks, and wearing light armor that boosts crit rate then you're playing New Vegas wrong. Power armor is so pointless in that game, by the time you get the perk to able to wear it you're pretty much done with the main quest.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

EDIT: drat, double post.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

If you aren't stacking crits by having a high Luck stat, taking all the crit chance perks, and wearing light armor that boosts crit rate then you're playing New Vegas wrong. Power armor is so pointless in that game, by the time you get the perk to able to wear it you're pretty much done with the main quest.

Don't forget laser weapons + meltdown, so you just laugh eternally as you turn everything in the wasteland into a pile of goo. I had more issues keeping dogmeat alive in hardcore mode because of the massive meltdown chains that would occur.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Iron Rose posted:

:shrug: I had the option to say that "I" was a soldier when I was out adventuring with paladin danse.

A lot of RPGs that have you playing as a character with a set background will give you multiple conflicting dialogue choices to let you decide on your own character. New Vegas did it a lot, like having one option for the Courier to say that they have been to a place before as part of their job and another saying they've never heard of a place. Same with the Exile in KOTOR 2.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

A lot of RPGs that have you playing as a character with a set background will give you multiple conflicting dialogue choices to let you decide on your own character. New Vegas did it a lot, like having one option for the Courier to say that they have been to a place before as part of their job and another saying they've never heard of a place. Same with the Exile in KOTOR 2.

Either New Vegas or Skyrim let you decide whether your parents were alive and what kind of relationship you had with them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's basically the entire gameplay of Kentucky Route Zero, which owns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's basically the entire gameplay of Kentucky Route Zero, which owns.

Also Firewatch.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

razorrozar posted:

Either New Vegas or Skyrim let you decide whether your parents were alive and what kind of relationship you had with them.

It's the Dawnguard expansion for Skyrim. You can discuss your parents with Serana, who has a rather stormy relationship with her family.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
New Vegas also lets you choose whether or not you know what a fish is which is pretty funny.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

New Vegas also lets you choose whether or not you know what a fish is which is pretty funny.

Oh god I forgot about that. You have to pass an INT check and if you do Cass gets sidetracked on trying to describe a fish. :allears:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

razorrozar posted:

That was Skyrim in the Dawnguard DLC in a conversation with that vampire companion iirc

E:f,b

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In the first Mass Effect if you didn't pick the backgrounds where Shepard's parents die then you can do a side quest involving one of your mom's friends that ends with you call her and having a conversation. And in ME2 at the Citadel one of the snippets of news you overhear is about your mom defending you despite your apparent defection to Cerberus.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

CJacobs posted:

In any setting but New Vegas I'd be pretty weirded out by not knowing what a fish is (because I'm PRETTY sure some fish would survive the apocalypse) but then I remembered that the Courier is presumably from the middle of the desert and probably hasn't had the opportunity to visit a major body of water before.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Although you do encounter some fish in Honest Hearts.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm really hoping they put "should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?" as an easter egg in Dishonored 2. Then I can post about it in this thread.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thin Privilege posted:

should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?

Never doubt it.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Lord Lambeth posted:

Although you do encounter some fish in Honest Hearts.

There's some in the various Mojave lakes, too. Exact same model and everything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm really hoping they put "should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?" as an easter egg in Dishonored 2. Then I can post about it in this thread.

IIRC the DLC has guards completing the other half of those conversations. :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's more of a core mechanic, but gently caress if I think it's awesome enough to point out:

In the long-running web game Kingdom of Loathing, the thief analog classes have high Moxie, which determines their ability to dodge attacks entirely. Playing them well involves maximizing your Moxie to maintain a to-not-be-hit level as you progress through the game.

Maybe I'm just playing the wrong games, but I wish this sort of thing was replicated. I generally avoid thief classes in RPGs since 90% of mobs are generally all about getting up close to hit, and I think I'd play more of them if they were less "You're a dainty archer that hides in the shadow with a bow and arrow because one hit will kill you" and more "You're an dodgesassin, and you're just naturally going to have, like, half of the sword hits and arrows not hit you because you're trained to dodge poo poo".

Whenever I'm into WoW and hear they are considering adding nontraditional roles for certain classes, I think of Disco Bandits and Accordion Thiefs, folks who tank monsters not by wearing heavy armor, not by self-healing, but by not being hit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thin Privilege posted:

Reminds me how that one toast you can do in Mass Effect 3 was taken from the beginning of Return to Zork.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MisterBibs posted:

It's more of a core mechanic, but gently caress if I think it's awesome enough to point out:

In the long-running web game Kingdom of Loathing, the thief analog classes have high Moxie, which determines their ability to dodge attacks entirely. Playing them well involves maximizing your Moxie to maintain a to-not-be-hit level as you progress through the game.

Maybe I'm just playing the wrong games, but I wish this sort of thing was replicated. I generally avoid thief classes in RPGs since 90% of mobs are generally all about getting up close to hit, and I think I'd play more of them if they were less "You're a dainty archer that hides in the shadow with a bow and arrow because one hit will kill you" and more "You're an dodgesassin, and you're just naturally going to have, like, half of the sword hits and arrows not hit you because you're trained to dodge poo poo".

Whenever I'm into WoW and hear they are considering adding nontraditional roles for certain classes, I think of Disco Bandits and Accordion Thiefs, folks who tank monsters not by wearing heavy armor, not by self-healing, but by not being hit.

They did this with the Demon Hunter in Diablo 3 initially, but it turns out that taking full damage even a small amount of the time results in you getting splattered quickly way more often than the classes that use more traditional mitigation like increased health and armor.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Kingdom of Loathing is full of little things and absurdist jokes. Such as the alliterative main stats (Muscle, Moxie and Mysticality) and the million item descriptions.

Accordion Thief's starting weapon description posted:

This is an accordion, which you stole from someone, you big jerk. Then again, you're keeping someone from playing the accordion, which somewhat balances the negative moral aspects of the theft.

The game has a quest where you have to cross a wide pit. You do that by dismantling an abridged dictionary into a dictionary and a bridge, which you walk across.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kingdom of Loathing is like Teeny Tiny Single-Line Jokes, the browser game. There's an item that's just a brick, which you can toss at other players with messages attached. As far as I can remember (it's been a few years) it does nothing but it's a silly thing you can do anyway. There are some players you can't throw a brick at because their account hasn't been logged into for a long time, or they're in an isolated part of the game where they're locked out of multiplayer features, etc, in which case it will say "(player name) is no longer brickable". If you try to throw a brick at Jick, the game's creator, it says "Brick is no longer Jickable" instead.

edit: Here's another one I just remembered. There's an item called a WANG (it's not what you think) obtained from combining fridge magnet type letters in your inventory. You're supposed to make the word WAND to advance the story, I think, but you can make the word WANG instead and create a joke item you can use to cast a joke debuff on other players. If you decide instead to combine the WANG item with practically any box-related item, the results screen just says "Shame on you." or something to that effect.

...Y'know, because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3d-BkxL-9I

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Feb 27, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aithon posted:

Kingdom of Loathing is full of little things and absurdist jokes. Such as the alliterative main stats (Muscle, Moxie and Mysticality) and the million item descriptions.

The game has a quest where you have to cross a wide pit. You do that by dismantling an abridged dictionary into a dictionary and a bridge, which you walk across.

It isn't just a pit. It's the Orc Chasm filled with Hooded Warriors and other penis jokes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

That was actually the optimal way to get survivability in City of Heroes. There were two defensive stats: Damage Resistance dictated how much damage you actually took from an attack, while Defense was how likely you were to just straight-up not get hit. Because of the way the stats were calculated and caps worked, going all-in on defense was much better; you could at maximum dodge 95% of attacks, but resist only got up to 90%. Ideally you have a bit of both, but hitting that Defense softcap was one of the core aims of almost every build.

It was ambiguously skinned as a mechanic too, which I liked. Someone with high Defense wasn't necessarily dodging bullets, and in fact some of the Defense-heavy powersets definitely weren't. It could also be bullets just bouncing off of your awesome shield or whatever.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Len posted:

It isn't just a pit. It's the Orc Chasm filled with Hooded Warriors and other penis jokes.

The Orc Chasm is filled with various Smut Orcs, and you use them to collect Long Hard Screws, Thick Caulk, and Morningwood Planks to help build the bridge. Dismantling the Abridged Dictionary into a Dictionary and a Bridge still works, but only gets you halfway across now. The Hooded Warrior is in the constellation zone, where you can fight either penis jokes or vagina jokes, on alternating ascensions. It's all really fun, and it's gotten better as a game in recent years.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I liked getting shitface with Chakwas in mass effect. Why wasn't she a romance option?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I was playing MGS4 again after many years and while MGS itself is Little Things: The Game, there are few things that always caught my eye:

When switching shoulder views, Snake simply switches the stock to his left shoulder while using right arm as the trigger. It's cool detail and actually has some real life applications.

The chase scene in chapter 3 while playing with lethal weapons is practically just an interactive cutscene. However during Non-Lethal Big Boss runs this becomes the hardest part in the entire game and you have to use numerous weapons and techniques such as MK2 reloading trick, auto-aim, manual aim, non-lethal shotgun, non-lethal grenades and exploding barrels for best results. It's the most well done scripted chase sequence I've ever played.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Feb 27, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WaltherFeng posted:

So I was playing MGS4 again after many years and while MGS itself is Little Things: The Game, there are few things that always caught my eye:

When switching shoulder views, Snake simply switches the stock to his left shoulder while using right arm as the trigger. It's cool detail and actually has some real life applications.

Adam Jensen does this in Human Revolution as well, in addition to visibly turning safeties of a gun on/off when you take out or put away your weapon.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

I took a weekend trip the other day and in the neighborhood of my hotel there was a place called Whisky & Cigars. It took considerable restraint to not constantly annoy my companions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

poptart_fairy posted:

IIRC the DLC has guards completing the other half of those conversations. :v:

Yeah, one guy questions if the guard he's talking to ever thinks about anything except whiskey and cigars and you can also hear a guard getting congratulated for getting his own squad.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

The chase scene in chapter 3 while playing with lethal weapons is practically just an interactive cutscene. However during Non-Lethal Big Boss runs this becomes the hardest part in the entire game and you have to use numerous weapons and techniques such as MK2 reloading trick, auto-aim, manual aim, non-lethal shotgun, non-lethal grenades and exploding barrels for best results. It's the most well done scripted chase sequence I've ever played.

So by this logic is virtua cop an interactive cutscene? Since the whole section is just a lightgun game on a pad, and its awesome lethal or non-lethal.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

So by this logic is virtua cop an interactive cutscene? Since the whole section is just a lightgun game on a pad, and its awesome lethal or non-lethal.

Actually that's not what I was referring to. If you go lethal in the chase scene, all you need to do is turn on the auto aim and hold the fire button. Because of the cinematic camera angles you won't be even looking at the things you're firing at.

While auto aim is still effective on non-lethal, you have to use it sparingly.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Actually that's not what I was referring to. If you go lethal in the chase scene, all you need to do is turn on the auto aim and hold the fire button. Because of the cinematic camera angles you won't be even looking at the things you're firing at.

While auto aim is still effective on non-lethal, you have to use it sparingly.

How on earth do you use auto aim on MGS4? I thought it was the first one to have nothing but (manually) aimed shots.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think you just press square to toggle it on, it basically makes the shooting like MGS1-3. There's not really any reason to ever use it other than in the chase sequences so you can enjoy the fancy camera angles.

Peace Walker is the first mainline entry in the series that completely ditches the old auto-aim and goes over-the-shoulder only (or MGS5 if yoy don't count PW for some reason).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Veotax posted:

I think you just press square to toggle it on, it basically makes the shooting like MGS1-3. There's not really any reason to ever use it other than in the chase sequences so you can enjoy the fancy camera angles.

Peace Walker is the first mainline entry in the series that completely ditches the old auto-aim and goes over-the-shoulder only (or MGS5 if yoy don't count PW for some reason).

It does make aiming with the Stun Knife a lot easier. It's also really good against Laughing Octopus and Raging Raven.

Also, PW doesn't count because you can Auto Aim. You just need to enable it from the options

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Feb 27, 2016

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

It does make aiming with the Stun Knife a lot easier. It's also really good against Laughing Octopus and Raging Raven.

Also, PW doesn't count because you can Auto Aim. You just need to enable it from the options

Forgot about PW. I would have auto aim switch set to the select button for vehicle fights so I could quickly take out soldiers before manual aiming the tank/chopper etc.
I somehow had no idea MGS4 had it too.

I've been replaying MGS3 again since getting it on vita and I absolutely love how nervous The Boss makes Volgin and she's the only person he won't threaten directly, even backing down on most things when she confronts him about them.

Edit: though I do really miss the quality of life improvement of being able to move while crouched from the later titles. I heard something about them adding that to the 3DS version though.

Sad lions has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haven't played Peace Walker in years, forgot it had autoaim. Makes sense with it being a PSP game, I guess.