Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Unless Eric Movie took over his twitter account, reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated. He probably just wasn't on the On Screen because he just... didn't see Deadpool yet.

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/702715444759810049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Still doesn't debunk the possibility that he's actually dead and Eric Movie is tweeting for him, though. :v:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Still doesn't debunk the possibility that he's actually dead and Eric Movie is tweeting for him, though. :v:

It's probably Secundus

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like that Secundus wasn't even a master of disguise in the movie, and that running gag is based on their ideas of what happened after the movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Only closers get ninja suits! :ninja:

I love WHM. :allears:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yay, Cabin from the bunker. "Dennis Quaid seems like the kind of guy you'd have to teach to NOT drink out of the toilet."

Also kinda bummed that none of them have seen Embrace of the Serpent because I thought it was fantastic and was curious about their opinions on it. At least Andrew had a nice shout-out to Boy & The World.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
What I didn't get is them saying Ajax should have been in the vague drug trade to make it more 80s. He was involved in the vague Super human trade which seems pretty similar.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm getting a little tired of them suggesting that a female character be killed to motivate the male character. They're generally pretty great about poking fun at sexism instead of supporting it, but the problem with "fridging" female characters seems to be a blind spot with them.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

nevermind

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm getting a little tired of them suggesting that a female character be killed to motivate the male character. They're generally pretty great about poking fun at sexism instead of supporting it, but the problem with "fridging" female characters seems to be a blind spot with them.

Which is odd, as Steve has even brought up fridging by name.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ninja Scroll as a stay tuned, yes please.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GrandpaPants posted:

I've never actually watched it but based on internet osmosis all the demon rape and poison vaginas sounds like it would make for an incredibly :stare: episode.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

GrandpaPants posted:

Would that be a regular episode or an Animation Damnation one?

Sleeveless posted:

I've never actually watched it but based on internet osmosis all the demon rape and poison vaginas sounds like it would make for an incredibly :stare: episode.

Yeah, it's pretty :stare: but it's also :getin:, animation wise.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There's an entire bad movie podcast to be made about lovely overly edgy 80s anime OVAs.

Sadly the only people who would make it are ultragoons

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

frgildan posted:

What I didn't get is them saying Ajax should have been in the vague drug trade to make it more 80s. He was involved in the vague Super human trade which seems pretty similar.

Agreed. He's just a degree or two from creating and selling ninjas. Which is 80s as gently caress.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

They are massively, MASSIVELY overstating how :stare: it is. It's kinda weird, but the vast majority of it is a guy with a sword fighting other guys with swords who have batshit crazy superpowers (there's a guy who's made of bees in it), and the demon rape is more like "guy made of rock licking a girl's titty for five seconds and then getting owned by sword-guy."

e: not that a Ninja Scroll WHM episode wouldn't be completely incredible. The ending is one of the most utterly :black101: ways to deal with an immortal villain I've ever seen.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's an entire bad movie podcast to be made about lovely overly edgy 80s anime OVAs.

Sadly the only people who would make it are ultragoons

Gimme a list.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The entire movie's on Youtube if you want to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnHXQ3OwwM

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gyges posted:

Agreed. He's just a degree or two from creating and selling ninjas. Which is 80s as gently caress.

Ninja trafficking is the best story idea I've read all day.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Talking of ninjas, I just listened to Gymkata (ep. 54). Among other things, I discovered Kevin Sorbo is an actor and not just the name of a terrible poster on SA. You learn something new everyday, I guess.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
He was Hercules in the 90s. I'm surprised you didn't at least vaguely know of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1hM-k3aUY

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Marin Karin posted:

He was Hercules in the 90s. I'm surprised you didn't at least vaguely know of him.

Nice clip! :)

I watched relatively little TV for a long time and what I saw was British TV (mixture of UK, US and European stuff), so a lot of stuff which is pop culture/memes on SA is unfamiliar to me....

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sure but Hercules and Xena were legitimate global phenomena. This is 100% you, not some meme on SA.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I remember Xena but not the Hercster.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

TetsuoTW posted:

Sure but Hercules and Xena were legitimate global phenomena. This is 100% you, not some meme on SA.

Sure but I was at university in the 90s and I and none of my friends had TVs. The university hall of residence shared TV was mainly tuned to the Simpsons, MTV and soap operas. I remember Xena was around - even if I never saw a whole episode. I never heard of Hercules before but I guess it must have been on British TV. :shrug:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Oh man Animation Damnation snuck up on me. Road Rovers?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I somehow never even put together that Samurai Pizza Cats was a TMNT ripoff until they mentioned it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Both shows are amazing in how little they actually resemble ancient times in any way or form. It's basically your typical pseudo medieval European fantasy world, but occasionally they namedrop a city or a famous person. I think Xena in the end covered the entirety of mythological times up to the early middle ages in the span of a couple of years. Who knew that the fall of Lucifer, Ceaser's reign, Jesus birth and entire lifetime and the rise of Christianity all happened in the same 5 years?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

I somehow never even put together that Samurai Pizza Cats was a TMNT ripoff until they mentioned it.
"They've got more fur than any turtle ever had"....

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Of movies or ultragoons?

Cause if you need pure "what the gently caress" 80's anime look no further then Angel Cop. The Japanese subs actually have the big plot of the movie be a straight up Jewish Conspiracy against Japan.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

BexGu posted:

Of movies or ultragoons?

Cause if you need pure "what the gently caress" 80's anime look no further then Angel Cop. The Japanese subs actually have the big plot of the movie be a straight up Jewish Conspiracy against Japan.

I meant movies, and... yeah, Angel Cop looks like it definitely qualifies. I think I might just search for those old late night TV commercials that still referred to anime as "Japanimation", everything there should qualify.

Also, instead of listening to last week's White House movie episode, I listened to MK: Annihilation again to hear their James Remar impression. "Y'know, Devin...."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

e X posted:

Both shows are amazing in how little they actually resemble ancient times in any way or form. It's basically your typical pseudo medieval European fantasy world, but occasionally they namedrop a city or a famous person. I think Xena in the end covered the entirety of mythological times up to the early middle ages in the span of a couple of years. Who knew that the fall of Lucifer, Ceaser's reign, Jesus birth and entire lifetime and the rise of Christianity all happened in the same 5 years?

Did they really go into the birth of Jesus on Xena: Warrior Princess?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I meant movies, and... yeah, Angel Cop looks like it definitely qualifies. I think I might just search for those old late night TV commercials that still referred to anime as "Japanimation", everything there should qualify.

its like best of the worst of my childhood. Throw in Lensmen (Stars Wars Ripoff) for good measure along with the Fatal Fury movie (which was better then it had any right to be).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Here's a whole thread for you.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

BexGu posted:

its like best of the worst of my childhood. Throw in Lensmen (Stars Wars Ripoff) for good measure along with the Fatal Fury movie (which was better then it had any right to be).

:eng101: Actually the Lensman books came long before Star Wars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Green Lantern and lightsabers are both borrowed from the Lensmen novels, which are from the early 50's at least.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Marin Karin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2kgjilRSOg

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A good animation damnation might be that animated Hercules-Xena movie that was a cheap cash-in on the Disney Hercules. Never saw it, but a poster said it had THE REAL HERCULES and THE ONLY XENA.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

e X posted:

You're talking about Road Rovers and Samurai Pizza Cats, right? :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

"I was that fat guy on 9/12"

:allears: