Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Sure it can. That's why when you clip into the inside of a spaceship dues to physics bugs, it's see-through on the inside. All 3d engines do this as a way to save work, they only draw the outside of the polys. So if you just made the rib with one-sided polys and just didn't have a back side it would do just that.

The problem is it looks like poo poo in practice because there would be little artifacts on poly edges and stuff.

Those artifacts could be covered up by very slender support struts. Right ?

Breetai posted:

I had to open the stream and check because I thought that this exchange was so far out of what would be considered reasonable in the context of a company's communications with their customers that it was a poorly-written parody. :psypop:

SC: The Parody is reality and triples every stream.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The best Battlefield is always relevant because CIG's a bad company, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ewe2 posted:

Hello commandos! In keeping with our policy of release early, release often and hide the chairs its fatso, we bring you:

:pgabz: Yes! :pgabz: A Remix, freshly new and totally not at all a lame attempt to entice the dancey cat to use a better mix for his videos. Reminding potential dancey cat musicians that a flac backing track is here and words/chords here, all contributions welcome.

Any chance you could upload vocals and instrument tracks separately? In an audacity file r whatevs

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

nice to see the faithful have reality thrust upon them cause you know they will never see it.

This is good, very good. Keep it up CIG. Say how bout that BMM?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

im_sorry posted:

Wait... did that guy just use "fag" as an insult in TYOOL 2016?

Seriously?!?!?!?!

People still do that?!?!?!

Also, here's a picture of catte#2 when she was little. And bonus bird.

nice bird and nice bird food

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I still think they were massively dumb as gently caress to try to stuff the starship interiors actually INTO the starship models. That's why this project is so off the rails, not all of the other problems, I honestly believe.

If they had faked it and had the starship interiors on their own server somewhere just being an FPS level with trigger events linked to the ship status and some window portals we had back in the freaking Prey days, this whole project would have been a cakewalk. But no, people have THE DREAM of sticking full interiors instead of ship models that are then whizzing around in 3D space, and trying to sector the stuff off to save the server, without considering that is a net code (and everything code) loving nightmare.

Seriously, it's Crysis. Make some ship interiors, linked them to a decent space game, and tada you have what anyone wants. People who aren't happy unless the models are REALLY INSIDE and their glass windows are fools, which apparently includes the project director now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Any chance you could upload vocals and instrument tracks separately? In an audacity file r whatevs

Done, I've edited the post with a dropbox link. Next people will be wanting a mogg!

Stanko-Prussian posted:

swear to god i must have listened to dancey cat hoedown like a hundred times i can't stop it's so loving catchy

This is extremely gratifying :D

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 27, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still think they were massively dumb as gently caress to try to stuff the starship interiors actually INTO the starship models. That's why this project is so off the rails, not all of the other problems, I honestly believe.

If they had faked it and had the starship interiors on their own server somewhere just being an FPS level with trigger events linked to the ship status and some window portals we had back in the freaking Prey days, this whole project would have been a cakewalk. But no, people have THE DREAM of sticking full interiors instead of ship models that are then whizzing around in 3D space, and trying to sector the stuff off to save the server, without considering that is a net code (and everything code) loving nightmare.

Seriously, it's Crysis. Make some ship interiors, linked them to a decent space game, and tada you have what anyone wants. People who aren't happy unless the models are REALLY INSIDE and their glass windows are fools, which apparently includes the project director now.

Is their any functional difference ( meaning solely from the pov of the user) between what you're describing and what they're trying to do? I understand they are different implementations. But do they actually get different use states?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

now I know the meaning of the 11 Million dollar stretch goal

move wingman = make him an offer that he will refuse so that he will resign
move CIG Austin = obliterate CIG Austin and make up some excuses that CIG Austin is still there

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ZenMaster posted:

: Yeah, we hadn't come up with a function for it.

Yeah, and now you will never need to, think it through properly or use dev time for it.

I just love how cultists handwave all too easily these changes by referring critics to the usual "all is subject to change" disclaimers without wanting to realize that all these changes are inedefectibly always cuts, and not additions.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 27, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what has the general reaction to the explanation been on the RSI forums? is it still - ask question get banned?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ewe2 posted:

Done, I've edited the post with a dropbox link. Next people will be wanting a mogg!

This is extremely gratifying :D

Woah thanks

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mendrian posted:

Is their any functional difference ( meaning solely from the pov of the user) between what you're describing and what they're trying to do? I understand they are different implementations. But do they actually get different use states?

Yeh, DS and other devs may know it by heart but my clueless guess is that to start with in a separate server, or rather a separate instance, architecture when you are inside a ship you can not interact at all or see what is happening outside. Whereas building the interiors seamlessly(tm) with the outside of the ship (all in the same instance) allows two way direct view of what is going on outside/inside, even firing a weapon from the interior (windows notwithstanding) to an outside object and in theory also seamless transition in and out of the ships without loading screens or server / instance changes time delays etc. The bottom line is that a separate server / instance set up can be easily spotted by a player and to some may be immershun breaking.

Looking at the competition it is going to be interesting to see if Frontier and Elite Dangerous are really going to launch their FPS in the next DLC update in December as it is strongly rumoured. If they do we'll see what Frontier has to offer in this regard: As some of you may know David Braben has mentioned many times that he will always try as much as he can to eliminate map loading screens. On that aspect he is as ambitious as CR. If it works well for Frontier it would be a very harsh kick in tha balls to CIG.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 27, 2016

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I was wondering about this because I assumed this is how most games worked, and would allow you to have all the space stuff scaled so you wouldn't need 64 bit floating point support for object transformations in "astronomical units"

I don't work in games, but I work in visual effects and we cheat the hell out of scale in most cases to make simulations run more stable and to avoid render issues.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I check up on this thread every 6 months or so to see how this trainwreck is going. Looks like tons of stuff has changed since last time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wooten posted:

I check up on this thread every 6 months or so to see how this trainwreck is going. Looks like tons of stuff has changed since last time.

The past month has seen most of the action. http://justagamemode.com/ is a good summary of the massive fuckup that appears to have seriously fractured the Star Citizen cult, but it's been up and down since then. Chairgate could use its own site, or someone should just make a summary post of everything that happened in February.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Wooten posted:

the news from an inside source posting itt is that theyre slowly rolling back content and abandoning stretch goals, as they are totally hosed.

if you want to get unhealthily angry about star citizen's awful community, find GORF's post about jeffrey mcarthur. then watch pgabz's videos to unwind and relax again

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm quite surprised that windows, seat position and view-blocking struts are even a thing, shouldn't the crew of a future starship be looking at the outside world on viewscreens linked to hardened redundant camera emplacements?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm quite surprised that windows, seat position and view-blocking struts are even a thing, shouldn't the crew of a future starship be looking at the outside world on viewscreens linked to hardened redundant camera emplacements?

Yeah but thats a smart thing to do

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Wait is Elite supposed to get a FPS mode too?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

Wait is Elite supposed to get a FPS mode too?

'Walking around' is supposed to be something for a future (paid) expansion, but an ETA hasn't been announced. At this point it's not certain whether it will be in the next (2017) expansion, or something after that

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Aaaaallllrighty then

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Woa. I couldn't get into E:D when I tried, but everything about it felt competent and well-designed. This could actually be cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mendrian posted:

What CIG is trying to do is having the inside of each spaceship individually simulated inside the ship itself, with all the little player spacemen actually inside the ship, with it's own little gravitational pull inside.

What Ownager is suggesting is having the inside of the ship be a separate world space, physically unconnected to the actual spaceship, with any windows being a "portal view" from a camera attached to the spaceship and any in-ship events (explosions, damage etc.) being triggered by appropriate scripting events (ship gets hit by a big missile on the right side of the bridge? Trigger some explosions and earthquakes in the ship map!)

This is, of course, technically cheating, but not only would it be easier to do, it'd be more stable (since you don't have to mess around with multiple gravitational pulls) and have better performance (since ships in the space map won't have to care about the insides of the ships around them). It's the sort of cheat pretty much any game of this scope would do to make the game work in a shippable form. But CIG... well, we all know how big Chris's eyes are in relation to his stomach by now...

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

whales voting against new ships...does not bode well.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

OK serious effortpost here:

How in the world is CIG going to explain themselves when they inevitably announce that SQ42 will be released for consoles? Will they go the "technically-speaking" route and say "we said STAR CITIZEN, not SQ42. They're completely separate games!" notwithstanding that at the time of his statement that was not the case. Will they go the "rogue engineer" route and claim some industrious but misguided software programmer took it upon himself to port the game to PS4 and Xbone all by himself, and did so on his free time, outside of work entirely - so that no one at the company knew about it? Will they say "well things have changed a LOT since 2013; consoles today are mini-supercomputers!" completely disregarding that we're in the exact same console generation today as we were in November 2013?

We know this is happening, as we have confirmation from our inside source. We also know they are making the fidelity lovely and decreasing the complexity on everything, including the flight models. So they WILL announce a console version eventually...

Directly quoting the mushmouth himself:

“Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.”

“I LOVE the PC as a platform because it is open, is always moving forward, with new powerful components (usually at cheaper prices) becoming available to gamers available every year. A $3,000 high end PC gaming rig of today wipes the floor of dedicated graphics supercomputers costing over $1M 10 years ago. People were amazed at being able to get Giga flops of performance. Now we can obtain over 5 TERA flops on a single PCI-E GPU!!! The PC platform is great because it isn’t static. It doesn’t have rules or some controlling entity that decides what will and won’t be in the eco system. If a cool new disruptive technology like the Oculus Rift comes along it can have a chance to gain traction and become the next big thing. Because of this Star Citizen will always be primarily a PC game and will embrace the best and newest tech.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/19/star-citizen-will-never-be-dumbed-down-for-consoles/

EDIT: maybe don't come up with really good ideas to give those loving morons. We know they read this thread and use it for planning their entire corporate strategy.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Posted for the first time on their forums, stating that the concerns are legit and everyone made fun of me because I had only 1 post and that the game is amazing and more advanced "than anyone realizes" and then the thread got deleted.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mirificus posted:

Welcome to the thread :). The translations seem like they could be interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing some different perspectives.

Here you have a translated quote from this Top Head Cultist, lets call him THC, with regards to the recent split of the game, trying to rationalize the price hike after some of our local gaming press dared to critizice CIG´s decision and the consequent debate in our forums.

"Other alphas cost more"

quote:

Most of them are very expensive. Elite´s for example, I think it was around €100-€150 if you wanted all future DLC in the game. Mechwarrior, same thing. I have not been in many alphas, but generally speaking some of them have costed much more than the game itself. I remember a few FPS that were priced as a Buy 2 Play in Alpha and then they ended up free for everyone.

Star Citizen has been on sale during 2 years for $30, this last year around $40-45 and now it is at $45, $60 if you take the single player in addition to it. You are still getting two games (even if they are future games, they are still two games) for the price of one, and it is still much lower than other alphas that we have seen in previous years.

My opinion is that the press does not know what they are talking about, they have to answer to advertisement buyers or have to follow the editorial line of their group, which is not anything unusual since the times when Hearst pushed Americans to declare the war to Spain [translator note: in reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_of_the_Spanish%E2%80%93American_War]. The press is the 4th power and it is used to manipulate those who do not have the strength of will to read the sources by themselves and come up with their own opinion.

As you can see the same dissonance types (THC is in by several thousands of €, but SC is still cheaper than anything else) can be observed in other communities. Although in this case it is elevated to an order of magnitude with the last sentence: For clarity, the vast majority of fellow compatriots following Star Citizen news do it mostly exclusively through THC´s daily translations and his personal commentary on the news (it is our equivalent to INN. Just... worst)

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 27, 2016

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Ash1138 posted:

Also eating on camera or on a podcast is the worst unless you're specifically doing a taste test or something like that.

i get horny from it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What exactly is chair gate

I don't know how you guys keep up with this thread. If you aren't putting in guild raid time into it daily then you are off the train completely and when you skip to the last page it's like rip can winkle except the flying cars are still blowing up in mid air because "two weeks"

Can someone like gorf summarize main happenings every week or so that way we have someone who :justpost:s we can follow

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't know how you guys keep up with this thread. If you aren't putting in guild raid time into it daily then you are off the train completely and when you skip to the last page it's like rip can winkle except the flying cars are still blowing up in mid air because "two weeks"

Can someone like gorf summarize main happenings every week or so that way we have someone who :justpost:s we can follow

A jpeg with two seats (so you could imagine flying with a friend rather than imagine flying it alone) now has one seat, even though it was being sold as a co-op jpeg until #~#2 week#~# ago

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 27, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Aaaaallllrighty then

Only nation to fight hitler, errrr u fukin wot m8? :colbert:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Alan Smithee posted:

hit the question mark on Derek Smart or B4BG's profile.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Only nation to fight hitler, errrr u fukin wot m8? :colbert:

I think he's talking about the fact that France and Britain didn't launch any offensives into Germany while Poland was being conquered.

Wonder what the Czechs would say about Poland's claims in the Munich Agreement...

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

The Xian scout was advertised as a two seat ship and sold for $150,-
it recently became hangar ready but only had one seat. A concern thread about this was made and Ben promised to investigate what had happened, since he as the master of ships apparently wasn't aware of the change. The thread was later deleted and the op banned, with no explanation. The ship page was changed to say it had one seat and the ship art was sort of covered, so it became harder to see the two seats.

Ben and Jared did an awkward segment on their latest live-stream, where Ben basically said that one unnamed technician had changed it without letting anybody know and no one noticed this while getting the ship hangar ready.

p-gabz did a fun little video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C63xAvSQLI

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Kavak posted:

I think he's talking about the fact that France and Britain didn't launch any offensives into Germany while Poland was being conquered.

Wonder what the Czechs would say about Poland's claims in the Munich Agreement...

But he also mentions the Warsaw uprising, and then says no one else had the balls to do that. Which is just :psyduck:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But he also mentions the Warsaw uprising, and then says no one else had the balls to do that. Which is just :psyduck:

Imagine that, a right-wing nationalist saying dumb poo poo.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Every part of it reads like a typical far-right national revisionist history.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

I know why so many of us can't turn away from it-- we just can't believe you've gotten away with so much wrongdoing, dishonesty and incompetence. We honestly can't believe it's not the biggest story in gaming right now. We are rubbernecking at the scene of the biggest, bloodiest pileup in gaming history and keep wondering when the cops and ambulances are going to arrive.

Word. It's not like the gaming press don't know. If you listen to gaming podcasts and so forth you'll often hear oblique references to SC being a disaster. But none of them want to touch the story. Even "opinion formers" on Youtube don't want to create a fuss. I don't know if they're scared of getting sued (seems unlikely after Escapist called their bluff), scared of the crazy fans, scared of losing access, scared of being labelled a muckraker. Something is going on though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We were joking about Star Citizen in the Paradox thread, I never expected someone from their forums to crosspost on RSI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Berious posted:

scared of the crazy fans

I'm going to assume it's that. No doubt cultists would bombard any website with lovely comments, DDoS attacks, and other garbage just because they dared to besmirch the holy word of the almighty Crobbers.

Couple this with the idea of 'gaming journalism' (lol) having no spine or balls to actually talk about hard topics like this, but instead just post fluff like 'Top 10 mods for XXXXX' and other bullshit, and that's probably the reason no one touches Star Citizen.

• Locked thread