Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

HIJK posted:

I never watched GoT, is this guy any good?

Sure. He isn't given a ton to work with, and his defining character trait is being gay, so it's easy to ignore whether or not he has talent. But he's pretty charismatic, and has decent range when they bother to write demanding scenes for him. On Game of Thrones, his character is the pampered but competent heir to his family's seat of power, who's kind of politically naive but a skilled fighter who has principles. In addition to loving dudes. It's reductionist to say his character *only* consists of, "is gay."

I'm way more interested in the themes these shows are tackling than anything else...I don't know if Finn Jones is personally gay or interested politically in gay representation, but an Iron Fist show about a queer hero in a culture of hyper-violent masculine posturing would be awesome as gently caress. Not that he has to play gay characters, it'd just be awesome.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xealot posted:

Sure. He isn't given a ton to work with, and his defining character trait is being gay, so it's easy to ignore whether or not he has talent. But he's pretty charismatic, and has decent range when they bother to write demanding scenes for him. On Game of Thrones, his character is the pampered but competent heir to his family's seat of power, who's kind of politically naive but a skilled fighter who has principles. In addition to loving dudes. It's reductionist to say his character *only* consists of, "is gay."

I'm way more interested in the themes these shows are tackling than anything else...I don't know if Finn Jones is personally gay or interested politically in gay representation, but an Iron Fist show about a queer hero in a culture of hyper-violent masculine posturing would be awesome as gently caress. Not that he has to play gay characters, it'd just be awesome.

I refuse to watch the show, but have read the books, and it took me a couple of posts to figure out you were talking about Loras, as his "am gay" thing really is pretty low key in the books, IIRC. It was more his "badass who is pretty and that way too impulsively signs up for insane odds and doesn't nail anything skirtwearing and underaged."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

I refuse to watch the show, but have read the books, and it took me a couple of posts to figure out you were talking about Loras, as his "am gay" thing really is pretty low key in the books, IIRC. It was more his "badass who is pretty and that way too impulsively signs up for insane odds and doesn't nail anything skirtwearing and underaged."

Yeah in the books he's literally just like, 16yo Jaime Lannister but into dudes. He even joins the Kingsguard for similiar reasons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Yeah in the books he's literally just like, 16yo Jaime Lannister but into dudes. He even joins the Kingsguard for similiar reasons.

Okay but doesn't he make them into the rainbow guard? Or did I imagine that? I quit those books early...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Snak posted:

Okay but doesn't he make them into the rainbow guard? Or did I imagine that? I quit those books early...

Renly made his own Kingsguard called the Rainbow Guard. Loras was, I believe, the head of the Rainbow Guard. After Renly dies he joins the actual Kingsguard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BreakAtmo posted:

Renly made his own Kingsguard called the Rainbow Guard. Loras was, I believe, the head of the Rainbow Guard.

yeah that's what I was thinking of. Subtle.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

yeah that's what I was thinking of. Subtle.

I really think the Rainbow Guard was more Renly's snark about the Kingsguard doing the whole "all in white/gold" thing, IIRC. (Well, gold for Jaime.) We never said Renly was clever, you know.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The in-universe explanation for usage of the rainbow motif is that the Faith of the Seven happens to use the same. It's a way of being pious, not of being faggy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really arguing that the in-universe rationalization has nothing to do with gay characters wearing rainbow colors.

As long as the new Iron Fist is gay and has an Asian boyfriend played by Sasha Grey, I think everyone will be happy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

I think everyone will be happy.

I don't think you are familiar with how these things work.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It was only on my 10th viewing of the second trailer that I noticed Daredevil uses the line on his billy club to leap off a building and rescue someone falling.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yep, in the books there's a lot of subtext that Renly and Loras are gay. The few times it it becomes text, it's usually their opponents ragging on them, so it's easy to read that as just trash talking. "I will shove this sword so far up your rear end even your boyfriend won't find it," can be kind of dismissed as some battlefield trash talk. It wasn't until GoT became a TV show that they explicitly made Renly + Loras a thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

As long as the new Iron Fist is gay and has an Asian boyfriend played by Sasha Grey, I think everyone will be happy.

Fund it, imo.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

America isn't ready for an Asian Iron Fist.

You mean Shang-Chi?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thrakkorzog posted:

Yep, in the books there's a lot of subtext that Renly and Loras are gay. The few times it it becomes text, it's usually their opponents ragging on them, so it's easy to read that as just trash talking. "I will shove this sword so far up your rear end even your boyfriend won't find it," can be kind of dismissed as some battlefield trash talk. It wasn't until GoT became a TV show that they explicitly made Renly + Loras a thing.

The sound editor for their first scene together in season one should have won an Emmy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Samizdata posted:

I used to think "I've read the books, I know what'll happen, why bother with the show?", so I can sort of understand your snobbery here. But really, the books are hardly loving Shakespeare, and the show surpasses them in many ways (not least in not having to wait 28 years for each new instalment. Come on George, winter's sure as gently caress taking its time over there).

Yes, Loras is a bit one dimensional in the show, but I that's more a function of the density of the source material than any concious decision to undermine him as a character. His and Renly's relationship is made (much!) more explicit, whereas Martin would only ever dance around it (but has no problems with explicit child rape, know your audience I guess), so there's something to be said for that. And he's still a complete badass. He still does the trick with the mare... wearing the appropriate poo poo eating grin all the while.

What I'm saying is, give the show a chance, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also give the show a watch if you want to know how the story ends, cos GRRM is going to drop dead of some fat person ailment long before finishing, and we all know it.

But yes Loras is a pretty minor character and the actor does a good job. I know nothing about Iron Fist but I can see that guy playing a playboy martial artist.

Also he put on shitloads of muscle after season one, to the point that a lot of people thought the actor had changed. So he's committed to his roles.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only thing I'm slightly concerned about on Iron Fist right now is how Danny and Jeryn are going to interact on the show. With how Jeryn was on Jessica Jones, I don't know that I feel safe with her being Danny's right hand woman. Plus how's Luke gonna trust her when he asks Danny to skip a board meeting to go punch some dudes?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

According to some brief Googling, the only Greek actress in Hollywood (and we are stretching it here) under 35 is Sasha Grey.

Not how I would have used "Greek", " stretching it here", and "Sasha Grey" in a sentence, but OK.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I look forward to deep discussions into the difference between pins and brooches

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tooterfish posted:

I used to think "I've read the books, I know what'll happen, why bother with the show?", so I can sort of understand your snobbery here. But really, the books are hardly loving Shakespeare, and the show surpasses them in many ways (not least in not having to wait 28 years for each new instalment. Come on George, winter's sure as gently caress taking its time over there).

Yes, Loras is a bit one dimensional in the show, but I that's more a function of the density of the source material than any concious decision to undermine him as a character. His and Renly's relationship is made (much!) more explicit, whereas Martin would only ever dance around it (but has no problems with explicit child rape, know your audience I guess), so there's something to be said for that. And he's still a complete badass. He still does the trick with the mare... wearing the appropriate poo poo eating grin all the while.

What I'm saying is, give the show a chance, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

No, I count the show as one of thethe main reason we're not going to see any more books ever (as all the lemoncakes are catching up with GRRM and he can't say no to any projectmoney.). So, I'm not going to watch it and support it with my eyes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

No, I count the show as one of thethe main reason we're not going to see any more books ever (as all the lemoncakes are catching up with GRRM and he can't say no to any projectmoney.). So, I'm not going to watch it and support it with my eyes.

Also it's bad fanfiction now so imo you made a good choice.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

Your loss, not like that poo poo's hurting for ratings.

Samizdata posted:

I'd rank Loras in the top 5 fighters on the show, and one of the few genuinely good people around. So if your rabid hatred of the show stems from Loras, *shrug*

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 26, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
GRRM was such a quick and efficient writer before the show started, it was probably all HBOs fault he'll never publish anything again and not his own massive ego or the fact that his had to turn his trilogy into a seven book monstrosity that will be half the size of the library of congress if it was ever finished.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The show is not as good as the books, and the [later] books themselves are hardly anything to brag about, so. Y'know. Do whatever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

counterfeitsaint posted:

GRRM was such a quick and efficient writer before the show started, it was probably all HBOs fault he'll never publish anything again and not his own massive ego or the fact that his had to turn his trilogy into a seven book monstrosity that will be half the size of the library of congress if it was ever finished.

His efficiency slowed down 10 years before the show started after ASOS

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Meereenese Knot etc etc

e: so many e's in meereen

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Netflix's Marvel's Daredevil: You Win Or You Die

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How cool is this? I was just watching Mad Men and scrambled for imdb after watching season 3's ep the fog because how beautifully it was shot, and apparently the dude that directed it is doing the first two episodes of Daredevil's second season: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0008971/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

He's also done a few episodes of the Sopranos. Here's hoping it looks anywhere as good as those two stellar shows.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gyges posted:

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about on Iron Fist right now is how Danny and Jeryn are going to interact on the show. With how Jeryn was on Jessica Jones, I don't know that I feel safe with her being Danny's right hand woman. Plus how's Luke gonna trust her when he asks Danny to skip a board meeting to go punch some dudes?

Jeryn probably wants to redeem herself for how lovely she was. Could be that Danny shows up and just hires the first person he comes across to help him and it's Jeryn, or he meets her and offers her help, or Jeryn was friends with Danny's father.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

The show is not as good as the books, and the [later] books themselves are hardly anything to brag about, so. Y'know. Do whatever.

Pro tip: Don't watch or read Game of Thrones. Just watch the nude scenes on xvideos.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Get that talk about GoT's mass-consumed pulpy violence and objectified sex out of here, we're trying to discuss comic books.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like gently caress... race bending? GoT?... what else you guys got?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Game of Thrones is better than Daredevil or Jessica Jones so it's a silly hill to choose.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I am GoT's #1 biggest fanboy for its first four seasons, but there's no way it's better than Daredevil. EQUAL, yes, but not better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not saying GoT is great, I'm saying Daredevil is only okay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TV shows are all poo poo, especially the ones with Game of Thrones and Daredevil in the title.

hth

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love all of those shows, also it's funny the fantasy one has people saying gently caress and the New York ones have little to no gently caress usage.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

zoux posted:

Trailer 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cn3DVV0LHY

They're called...the Hand.

This show has to give me DD/Elekta/The Punisher vs 1000 mooks or else I don't get what the point is. I like what it looks like Matt's interactions will be with the two of them. Honestly I like his interactions with everyone kinda. I think this season will have Matt defending why this world needs Daredevil. Punisher (and likely Elektra) will be killing, Karen thinks he's inspired nutjobs, Foggy thinks he'll die, Claire thinks he's wasting his time. And it all comes to a head where Matt is finally able to prove why what he does matters and why Hell's Kitchen needs Daredevil. Not The Punisher, not Elektra, not The Avengers. Him.

I hope that's what it's like.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Foggy status: still a little bitch

This is gonna suck though. I want Foggy to sit down somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SonicRulez posted:

This show has to give me DD/Elekta/The Punisher vs 1000 mooks or else I don't get what the point is. I like what it looks like Matt's interactions will be with the two of them. Honestly I like his interactions with everyone kinda. I think this season will have Matt defending why this world needs Daredevil. Punisher (and likely Elektra) will be killing, Karen thinks he's inspired nutjobs, Foggy thinks he'll die, Claire thinks he's wasting his time. And it all comes to a head where Matt is finally able to prove why what he does matters and why Hell's Kitchen needs Daredevil. Not The Punisher, not Elektra, not The Avengers. Him.

I hope that's what it's like.

This is gonna suck though. I want Foggy to sit down somewhere.

:agreed:

I'm not sure how to feel about Foggy and Matt still arguing but it'll probably be worth it for how Frank will throw Matt's belief system into question.

At least this season will be interesting.