Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I feel like you might be forgetting the second clause of Resolute Technique...

Yep...

Not hearing anyone say they've figured out a killer Path of X application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ekster posted:

I've just been reviewing the ascendancy classes again and I still can't believe that the Inquisitor's Ignore Elemental Resistances on Crit notable is going to make it in apparently. We'll know for sure when the patch notes are in, I suppose, but if it stays the way it is I'm seriously considering going Lightning Strike one-hand crit mace with full elemental conversion. Or maybe a fire-based skill with Three Dragons if that's going to work as well.

I think it's going to be even more insanely broken than the Assassin class, but we'll have to see the final passive tree for that I suppose.

I'm thinking of doing an Arc Templar because of that Inquisitor Ignore... I was also debating if I wanted to do Tanky Templar Lightning Strike build.

It's pretty drat huge that you can Ignore enemy resistances and then do -40% lightning resistance on top of that with a lightning penetration gem.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Bouquet posted:

Yep...

Not hearing anyone say they've figured out a killer Path of X application.

So are you guys debating that Resolute Technique and Blood Magic are reasons you would want to use that Scions new start point idea? because that's what itook out of that list of "why would you really want to jump all over the wheel"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Would you guys go armor life or hybrid with Es on those Templar builds.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Ekster posted:

I've just been reviewing the ascendancy classes again and I still can't believe that the Inquisitor's Ignore Elemental Resistances on Crit notable is going to make it in apparently. We'll know for sure when the patch notes are in, I suppose, but if it stays the way it is I'm seriously considering going Lightning Strike one-hand crit mace with full elemental conversion. Or maybe a fire-based skill with Three Dragons if that's going to work as well.

I think it's going to be even more insanely broken than the Assassin class, but we'll have to see the final passive tree for that I suppose.

Path of Exile isn't Diablo 2: LOD. Most monsters don't have high resists, roughly ~30s. If you deal monoelemental damage, a Penetration support will easily exceed that (atop also working with your non-crit rolls, instead of just getting 10%).

So it's better for multi-elemental builds.

It's also stronger for builds that struggle with single-target, since it is the rares and map bosses that will have higher resists (and Righteous Providence will helpfully give you +45% crit multi against them). Obviously it's also favourable with crit. Inevitable Judgment is ideally the Cast on Crit notable, I think.

edit:

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It's pretty drat huge that you can Ignore enemy resistances and then do -40% lightning resistance on top of that with a lightning penetration gem.

won't work that way, Word of God is that Ignore will ignore your penetrations. Zero is zero.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 27, 2016

J
Jun 10, 2001

ronya posted:

Path of Exile isn't Diablo 2: LOD. Most monsters don't have high resists, roughly ~30s. If you deal monoelemental damage, a Penetration support will easily exceed that (atop also working with your non-crit rolls, instead of just getting 10%).

It's also stronger for builds that struggle with single-target, since it is the rares and map bosses that will have higher resists (and Righteous Providence will helpfully give you +45% crit multi against them). Obviously it's also favourable with crit. Inevitable Judgment is ideally the Cast on Crit notable, I think.

All true, but I'd also like to add that +elemental resistance and elemental equilibrium are common map mods that would push resistances up for a single element build significantly. Plus rare mobs having resistance auras too.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Has there been any word of Voltaxic or general chaos damage nerfs?

I'm heavily considering going ele bow, with the option of getting a Voltaxic. Both pathfinder and deadeye should be really strong with that, and the free poison on hit seems to be made for it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ronya posted:

Yeah I agree, it won't make a huge difference with trash mobs but I think it'll really shine against tough rares and bosses.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bah I want to try a Scold's Bridle build but know I won't be able to afford it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Usable crit vagan daggers aren't that expensive anyway, only an ex or two.

An ex is a lot for me considering that I don't play this game a whole lot, so I'm probably going to go with Oro's.

Ekster posted:

Yeah I agree, it won't make a huge difference with trash mobs but I think it'll really shine against tough rares and bosses.

Do note that ignoring resistances means that you'll ignore negative resistances as well.

vOv fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 27, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

double post

Hauki
May 11, 2010

That loving consecrated ground on hit might just break that ascendancy node

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Hauki posted:

That loving consecrated ground on hit might just break that ascendancy node

The downside is that it isn't powerful enough to save you from high spike damage, lets say you came across from bears and a diamond shrine, it wouldn't save you from a good mauling RIP.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm mostly debating between aoe cold traps sabo, capped crit cold snap assass, two handed crit sword lightning strike assass, righteous fire juggernaut, and explosive arrow blood magic deadeye.

all for standard, unless perandus league looks lots better than the last few leagues have been

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
You can get traps that blow up the instant they land with sunblast plus two of the new reduced trap duration jewels. Kinda tempted to go traps now and throw bombs all over the place.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

there is also the comedy lightning warp + physical to lightning damage cyclone trickster

no better (lmbo) idea.

Lightning warp + cyclone unarmed doryani's fist trickster

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 28, 2016

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Does anyone have any idea if the Berserker Leech abilities (as well as the Scion's version) will work with DoT damage? AFAIK there's no way to currently leech from DoT damage, but these abilities just say X% of damage leeched as life and don't refer to hits or anything.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what's the new summoner meta in ascendancy? i haven't really paid any attention to the updates at all.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

spam srs as fast as you can

but honestly skeleton mages might be functional with the threshold jewel changes

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

After looking over the Ascendancy classes, all the Duelist ones seem kind of dull (is it just me?), so I think I'll roll with Marauder for my 2H Molten Strike build. Chieftain especially seems like it could be crazy with the Avatar of Fire version, with Hinekora, Death's Fury giving 1% life leech, 10% penetration, and 20% increased base damage. Here's the build. And all that fire damage and ignite chance... almost makes me want to try Emberwake. That's probably a terrible idea, isn't it. Like poison, but shittier.

Of course, this is all assuming there are no massive changes to (the outer edges of) the passive tree. Anybody know if any alpha streamers have revealed anything besides the goofy changes to the Scion life wheel/brick/pizza? I heard the single-element weapon damage nodes are getting penetration now, and if they are, I'm definitely swapping something for Lava Lash (Catalyze, probably?).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The downside is that it isn't powerful enough to save you from high spike damage, lets say you came across from bears and a diamond shrine, it wouldn't save you from a good mauling RIP.

I was more talking about 50% increased damage, half cost spells and immunity to status effects.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
One thing I noticed is that the Scion/Occultist Ascendancy lets you do a MoM+EB build without touching the left side of the tree at all. You use Cloak of Defiance to get MoM, and then use the Scion/Occultist Ascendancy in place of Zealot's Oath to regenerate your ES enough to cast spells with it. That lets you reserve all your mana for auras and still have the massive EH bonus that MoM gives you. So, I'm probably going to be doing something like this with the Occultist and Gladiator ascendancies, using Sunder supported by Poison. The Gladiator ascendancy provides spell block and lets you apply bleed, which overlaps with poison for tons of DoT damage. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to implement a melee-flagged ranged attack, letting people play ranged characters that still get the benefit of Melee Physical Damage modifiers and the Fortify gem, but there it is.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
What are folks thoughts on Prayer of Glory for the Templar Guardian:

* You and nearby allies have 15% increased Attack, Cast and Movement Speed if you've used a Warcry in the last 4 seconds
* Using Warcries is Instant

Thinking it might be interesting to try a Warcry build alternating between Abyssal Cry and Rallying Cry and maybe something like SRS or Ice Nova during the cooldown period to do damage, maybe along with a pack of zombies?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

baram. posted:

what's the new summoner meta in ascendancy? i haven't really paid any attention to the updates at all.

necromancers get 100% better specters, specters were already able to do uber in standard, soooooo do that I guess?

the limitations come from the gear, i.e. you might kill yourself from boredom if you play it as a first character in a brand new league

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

I was initially given a speculative patch note about a cast on crit change (100% chance to trigger, higher cooldown) and I hinted at this on reddit when asked. After internal testing, it appears that the team have reverted this change.

This may still change in the coming days (and probably will in coming patches/expansions), but I just wanted to correct the recent misinformation.

Whoa whoa whoa. At least we now have a sense of how the Great Minds are thinking.

edit: the new opieOPness. 100% flask uptime builds are gonna be crazy.

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 28, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xequecal posted:

One thing I noticed is that the Scion/Occultist Ascendancy lets you do a MoM+EB build without touching the left side of the tree at all. You use Cloak of Defiance to get MoM, and then use the Scion/Occultist Ascendancy in place of Zealot's Oath to regenerate your ES enough to cast spells with it. That lets you reserve all your mana for auras and still have the massive EH bonus that MoM gives you. So, I'm probably going to be doing something like this with the Occultist and Gladiator ascendancies, using Sunder supported by Poison. The Gladiator ascendancy provides spell block and lets you apply bleed, which overlaps with poison for tons of DoT damage. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to implement a melee-flagged ranged attack, letting people play ranged characters that still get the benefit of Melee Physical Damage modifiers and the Fortify gem, but there it is.

I'm not sure Ascendant-Occultist will have enough natural ES regeneration in order to spam spells, it might at most slow the rate of ES decrease as you cast. You're gonna need ZO in order to counteract that.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

ronya posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. At least we now have a sense of how the Great Minds are thinking.

edit: the new opieOPness. 100% flask uptime builds are gonna be crazy.

Isn't this pretty much strictly better than Granite Flasks?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

You might get better results from a granite with enough scaling, and definitely better against lighter hits, but granites use 30 of 60 charges, while basalt are 40 of 60.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

Isn't this pretty much strictly better than Granite Flasks?

Only against things that can kill you. Trash mobs its better to use Granite. (You can also use both)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just to clarify something, is it possible to get multiple ascendancy classes from the same base class? So as a Witch, can I say put 2 points into Necromancer, then 4 points into Occultist, or any combination thereof?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Just to clarify something, is it possible to get multiple ascendancy classes from the same base class? So as a Witch, can I say put 2 points into Necromancer, then 4 points into Occultist, or any combination thereof?

No

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Well that's a bad assumption on my part, ugh, I wanted to make a max block blade vortex with cybil's. I wanted a tanky character.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Terrible goon here looking for a cheap but fun cookie cutter build for the new season. FWIW 90% of the acronyms and posts in this thread are as intelligible to me as цыка блят руссиан.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Terrible goon here looking for a cheap but fun cookie cutter build for the new season. FWIW 90% of the acronyms and posts in this thread are as intelligible to me as цыка блят руссиан.

It's impossible to say without the full patch notes, they usually release that at least a day before it goes live. The entire community makes tons of builds in preparation of the new league when all information is available, including lots of experienced streamers who know what they are talking about, so just wait for that is my advice.

That being said, unless it's going to get nerfed and/or outclassed by new skills, stuff like Firestorm caster and Cyclone/Ice Crash is probably still going to be great for beginners.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

ronya posted:

won't work that way, Word of God is that Ignore will ignore your penetrations. Zero is zero.
This is correct, except "Ignores enemy elemental resistances" isn't the same as reducing them to 0.

You can use damage penetration on someone wearing Veil of the Night because you're still hitting their resistances. When resistances are ignored there's nothing to penetrate, so you get no benefit.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Handful of acronyms you might want to know:

CI - Chaos Innoculation (1 HP & Immune to Chaos dmg)
EB - Eldritch Battery (ES becomes mana)
MoM - Mind over Matter (30% of dmg goes to mana)
RT - Resolute Technique (Never miss, never crit)
BM - Blood Magic (Use hp for skills instead of mana)
IR - Iron Reflexes (Evasion converted to armour)

IC - Immortal Call
CWDT, CoC - Cast When Damage Taken, Cast on Crit
LMP/GMP - Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles
HoI/T/A - Herald of Ice/Thunder/Ash
WED - Weapon Elemental Damage
ST - Spectral Throw
EK - Ethereal Knives

DoT - Damage over time (like poison)
Aoe - Area of effect (anything that affects an area, like ice nova or whatever)
SC/HC - Softcore (standard) / Hardcore
IIR/IIQ - Increased Item Rarity/Quantity
MF - Magic Find (see IIR/IIQ)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You forgot one:

RNG - The biggest bastard in this game

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I'm looking at all these Ascendacy trees and i'm like "Oh tricksters has some good defense nodes"

Then I started trying to build a freeze pulse that would use that but be survivable in HC...Not exactly sure how it would work out actually. Anyone got any insight because this one is leaving me the most puzzled on how to build it.

Was thinking freezing pulse build...

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

whypick1 posted:

You forgot one:

RNG - The biggest bastard in this game

I thought that was desync :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Speaking of FP. Here's the CI Crit FP I was going to convert my hybrid character to once I got the right gear - I never quite got there because I started the league so late, but my build was pretty similar except for the CI and Ghost Reaver parts (I took MoM and some nodes near Templar).

It's been a couple of years since I played PoE so I'm curious what y'all think about the build - I assume I did at least some stupid stuff.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...CKBfOXxilgHcLs=

The Melding cluster is getting converted entirely to ES by Energy from Within, the leech to justify Ghost Reaver is coming from Warlord's Mark and/or Catarina leech mod. Running one curse in Blasphemy and the other in a CoH-HoI setup. Mana sustained by Assassin's Mark / Warlord's Mark / Clarity (?).

• Locked thread