Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

Which elements are those? All of them?

YO ES EYE. YO ES EYE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

I tried explaining the show to my dad yesterday using nothing but the IPs the Venture Bros were parodying. It sounded as incomprehensible as the following: :words:

Here's my stab at explaining the Venture Brothers.

The Venture Brothers is crammed full of jokes and pop culture references. It starts off as a Johnny Quest parody but it quickly grows past that into it's own, hard to describe setting.

The show itself revolves around Doc (The Johnny Quest stand-in), Doc's kids (Hank and Dean), and an oddball cast of Doc's friends and enemies. The oddballs get a fair amount of laughs and screen time but to keep thing simple I'm leaving most of them out.

The series starts off showing the Doc, Doc's Kids, and their bodyguard Brock while they go on adventures. The adventures include destroying a cursed invention that doc made, recovering a craft from the bottom of the ocean while dealing with pirates, repairing a space station. These sorts of activities are how Doc keeps the family business afloat, tries to fill his fathers shoes, and raises his kids. But he's horrible at business, at science, and at being a father.

Hank and Dean embrace the adventuring life style for a while. But they keep getting kidnapped, exploited, etc. For example, one episode revolves around Hank being kidnapped for ransom by a villain called Monarch. Then Hank is rescued by a hero, Captain Sunshine. Captain Sunshine decides to adopt Hank as his ward. So Monarch and Doc wind up in a race to recover Hank. Monarch wants his ransom money, Doc wants his son back. Another episode has Dean and Doc moving to New York for the summer. Dean is there interning for Professor Impossible, a scientist with a secret agenda. Doc's there to write a musical. Things end poorly for everyone.

A lot of big things happen between season 1 and season 6. We find out Doc has a brother, that super-villains have grouped together in secret as a guild, that a secret government agency is trying to stop the guild, that magic is real, etc. By season 6 Doc's got two bodyguards and he's inherited his brothers fortune. Doc realizes he has the money to invest heavily in speculative, dangerous science. Dean goes to a college where the faculty are secretly superheroes. Hank falls in love with the daughter of a super-villain. And Monarch is back with a new, fiendish plan of murder and mayhem.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think another good way to explain it is to let Twenty-One do it. It's a good explanation and available in two parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHVLSY_Hrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2iltiQLSMo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wow I never saw that 1-4 one. Lots of stuff in there. "Their mother is supposedly his old bodyguard Myra, but I don't think that's true" and "He totally hates Doc, no one knows why, I think it's in his blood or something."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh neat, there's an Adult Swim Canada app that has up to date Venture Bros. It doesn't connect directly to my chromecast, but I can just steam my phone to it.

Wish I had know about that before i subscribed on Itunes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

He probably rented out arching time to the highest bidder. Now that Venture is living large he's a prime arching target after all.

A smart villain could make mad bank having other villains pay you to do your work for you.

Machai posted:

The fake avengers work for him, why not other villains?

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

This makes sense to me. And besides, if Venture is in the "big time" now, it would make sense for him to have some secondary arches in addition to his primary arch. Think about how many arches Spider-Man or Batman have.

These make sense, but they don't quite feel right for some reason. Like Wide Wale has something big planned with arching Venture beyond just making money.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Ok, I caught a small and very subtle joke.

Way back at Clue Clown's funeral, we got our one and only glimpse of Red Mantle having an actual power, when he magically buried the casket and the OSI commented that he was an elemental.

When he's making out with Redusa in the bathtub, one of the things you can barely overhear her muttering is "make the Earth move, Red."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Avasculous posted:

Way back at Clue Clown's funeral, we got our one and only glimpse of Red Mantle having an actual power, when he magically buried the casket and the OSI commented that he was an elemental.

When he's making out with Redusa in the bathtub, one of the things you can barely overhear her muttering is "make the Earth move, Red."

Holy poo poo. This show.

Nice find.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Avasculous posted:

Didn't Hunter mention indirectly that he was an elementalist?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Only because he saw him move earth at the funeral. It might have been shore leave or Snoopy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What was the exact point when Brock got the dark circles around his eyes?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

What was the exact point when Brock got the dark circles around his eyes?

After he quit OSI. I believe.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

These make sense, but they don't quite feel right for some reason. Like Wide Wale has something big planned with arching Venture beyond just making money.

This motherfucker is the show's New York mob don analog, all he gives a poo poo about is money, family, and an odd obsession. Running the show, virgin daughter, corduroy. If he has some sort of grander scheme at play involving Doc, it merely affects Doc and is not because of Doc.

Not unless Doc gives Wide Wale a reason. And it's Doc, so we'll see.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sash! posted:

Which elements are those? All of them?

Honestly, it's more like GI Joe with SHIELD elements :cheeky:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

This motherfucker is the show's New York mob don analog, all he gives a poo poo about is money, family, and an odd obsession. Running the show, virgin daughter, corduroy. If he has some sort of grander scheme at play involving Doc, it merely affects Doc and is not because of Doc.

Not unless Doc gives Wide Wale a reason. And it's Doc, so we'll see.

It feels like Wide Wale was probably pissed about Dr Dugong, but not acting on it, then Venture blew out Wale's windows with the jet. I'm gonna guess he just wants to gently caress with both the Monarch and Venture at this point out of spite.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

So who wants to guess what's in the third pod in the Morphocave?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

door Door door posted:

So who wants to guess what's in the third pod in the Morphocave?

Vendata and Jonas Sr. It's kinda cramped.

More seriously, either nothing because it's a meaningless background detail or a costume for Dr. Mrs. The Monarch to join the undercover fake good guy fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

RandallODim posted:

More seriously, either nothing because it's a meaningless background detail or a costume for Dr. Mrs. The Monarch to join the undercover fake good guy fun.

Well I'm fully erect.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Malcolm the Morphoboy's costume.

Which is monarch colored for some reason.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

RandallODim posted:

Madame Morpho.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love the serialized story

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
William? There's a Nazi here to see you.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
"Why didn't anybody tell me I could just hologram in?"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Brick frog in the bar :woop:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Think Tank is classy.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
how is the episode already halfway over how is the season already OVER halfway... over.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

That Truth commercial has entered the realm of "I get annoyed just listening to it, knowing what the sounds represent, even though there are no spoken words"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

That Truth commercial has entered the realm of "I get annoyed just listening to it, knowing what the sounds represent, even though there are no spoken words"

Reminder: those commercials are funded by the tobacco industry.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Watch and Ward are fantastic

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
"I could dodge it"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

"I could dodge it"
*BLAM*

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

"I LIKED IT"

edit: gently caress, is everyone gonna die in that pit

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh poo poo

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I hope every single villain dies in that loving pit, like JT Jag mentioned.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Good rear end episode

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I went by the NYPD impound lot last night and hoped tonight's episode would happen there. :3:

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

well, I'm not wearing this weeks shirt.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Soooooooo gooood.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

hughesta posted:

well, I'm not wearing this weeks shirt.

Yeah, that's kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I kinda want to buy it and I'd probably wear it occasionally, but feel weird every time