Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I'll throw in a vote for York and Zach.

Changing my vote to Leave and mywife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Not counting my own vote, but I'm pretty sure that we'll be playing as York and Zach for this playthrough. I'll wait for Eevee's final tally before I go ahead, but I'm pretty sure those're the results.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Changing my vote to Shaggy and Zach

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Fake edit: I'm not changing that image just because of Xander. :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Maybe if we leave the vote open for another 24 hours? :D

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Fat Samurai posted:

Maybe if we leave the vote open for another 24 hours? :D

Let's Play the Secret of Evermore Voting

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Explosionface posted:

This goon knows what's up.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Explosionface posted:

I vote YES.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Explosionface posted:

I vote Bowser

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Matrix (Boy) and Frisket (Dog).

Also, one thing I enjoy about this game is how ridiculously long the name entry for the characters are. It's seriously like 25 characters long or something like that.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Shaggy and Scooby hands down.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Leavemywife posted:

Alright, despite the title, let's get one thing out of the way; this game is not related to Secret of Mana. Some of the game mechanics are similar, such the the ring system and real-time combat, but that's about where it ends.

When this came out when I was a kid I was not very happy that it wasn't a Secret of Mana sequel like I was expecting. :mad: All these years later I can now finally vent to the internet. Of course the funny part is secret of Mana 2 was mediocre and we were lucky to get this game instead of an average sequel.

York and Zach for the dog works.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

DropsySufferer posted:

When this came out when I was a kid I was not very happy that it wasn't a Secret of Mana sequel like I was expecting. :mad: All these years later I can now finally vent to the internet. Of course the funny part is secret of Mana 2 was mediocre and we were lucky to get this game instead of an average sequel.

It is not "Secret of Mana 2", it's Seiken Densetsu 3.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't expect this game to be Secret Of Mana 2, or related to it... :shrug:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Is there any particular reason why that game has so far been the only title in the Mana series not to see any kind of release outside Japan?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Larryb posted:

Is there any particular reason why that game has so far been the only title in the Mana series not to see any kind of release outside Japan?

:shrug:

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I think the game had some weird things in the coding that messed with localization attempts. Although if some hobbyists were able to patch a translation in 15 years ago, I'm sure SE could do the same. The game's not even on Virtual Console in Japan.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I probably should mention that voting ended when Eevs posted his final tally. We're going with York and Zach for our Boy and his Dog.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

You mean Doki Doki Panic??

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Larryb posted:

My understanding is that the problem with SoM2/SD3 is that it's basically held together by spit and twine. It's actually an accomplishment that they crammed as much as they did into the cartridge, but it means that the programming is fairly unstable. Enough so that apparently it's not seen as a financially viable thing to fix.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I probably should mention that voting ended when Eevs posted his final tally. We're going with York and Zach for our Boy and his Dog.

Says you. :colbert: I vote to keep voting. Also waiting for a chance to make more sprite edits...

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
I wonder why the chaps in Nippon didn't get this game, did it sell poorly or did they think the subject material was of little interest to them?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm surprised you're not planning on doing the 2 player patch. You could do it with Retroarch.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Two: Assume I Said Something About A Clever Girl

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on the Secret of Evermore, we started the game and shot some robots with a bazooka. Today, we're going to actually start some exploration, so let's boogie.

York and Zach are ready to start their whirlwind adventure. Zach hasn't been officially named yet, though, but gently caress it, we're close enough.

Being an RPG, there are a few stats that do different things, so let's compare our two characters. They're also the only two we're getting.

Neither of our characters have particularly impressive stats at the moment, but that'll change. Zach is a bit better than York, being meatier and more evasive, but he's also some sort of wolf-dog.

Zach can also search around for stuff (what stuff, we'll get to in a little bit), and we can set his AI to either be more aggressive and murdery, or we can make sure he hunts around a little more. I prefer him to be attacking, since he's really goddamned good at it.

And, finally, the bone that Zach brought us is our first sword type weapon; we'll have access to axes and spears later on.

Alright, let's get into the game itself. A lot of the music is ambient stuff, and this track is no different. As some people in the thread have mentioned, Jeremy Soule is responsible for this soundtrack; he's done the music for Icewind Dale, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, and the list goes on and on. This was his first soundtrack, too.

Inside of the gourd is a pretty basic healing item, and it restores 40 HP when used on either York or Zach.

And that plant is our first enemy of the game. It's in the middle of its attacking animation, where it whips the poo poo out of you with its tentacle thingies.

it's the Wimpy Flower and has 18 HP to its name. We get a whole two experience points for taking it out.

Zach here did most of its health in this one hit.

When they're killed, they explode into a pile of petals.

Moving through the jungle, we encounter our second enemy, the mighty Mosquito. They have an entire hit point to their name, as well as dropping a single experience point.

Also, when you take out one of these guys, the game makes sure you goddamn well know it.

Zach here is sniffing at this spot incessantly; this means there's something to pick up here.

In this case, we find some Roots. The use for ingredients will become known next update, but just know that they're important.

This game is pretty. Sure, it's just a jungle right now, but I think it looks pretty nice. The ambient music here adds a ton to that feeling; if you haven't clicked that Tindeck link above, do so, then flip through these screenshots. It makes the jungle feel alive.

Yeah, there's not much to look at here, but c'mon, it's the first area of the game. We're killing plants. Just be patient.

Hey, look, a gourd!

Oil! A dinosaur must have been stored in this gourd.

The scenery is hiding us, but there's some Ash over here.

And here's some Water. Don't ask me for specifics, but it is different than water.

Doot doot doo, just toolin' 'round the jungle, doot doot doo

So we don't take a ton of damage from their attacks, but this is early in the game, and that's 20% of our health. That's kind of scary.

Zach, by virtue of having more health and defense, takes a hit better than York does.

Not that it seems to bother him very much; if there's one word I'd use to describe Zach, it's chill. He's just a dog, doin' his dog thing, hanging with his buddy, York.

The Flowers can drop Petals, too, which is nice.

Going to grab that other gourd leads to our first level up. Zach takes a little longer than York, for some reason.

It's not a huge boost, but hey, :sugartits: all the same.

Talons serve as our currency.

Alright, let's get off this first screen.

:ducksiren:This next part is in video form, if you'd like to watch that. Includes some combat, too, if you want to see that in motion.:ducksiren:

There's no wind, but lookit that leaf...Well, not soar, but fall kind of majestically.

Oh, God, York is the type to quote movies in this kind of situation. Or any situation.

Hmm, what's that over there?

Fella's kinda cute, isn't he?

Hey, buddy, how's it going?

Where you goin'? We're not here to hurt yo---

:gonk:

OH poo poo HE'S HERE TO HURT US OH poo poo

Fucker!

He scampers off after that hit, which he would have done anyways. The Raptor has 50 HP and is worth 24 experience.

Rinse and repeat that pattern; you get the idea here.

The Raptor hits like a son of a bitch, too.

Enemies have evade rates as well, and sometimes, you'll miss. It really sucks.

...Oh, poo poo. That's not good.

When his HP hits zero, Zach decides to chill out and lay down. It's a lot better than having to see a dead dog sprite, I suppose.

He'll also get up and follow York around, just so you're not leaving your dog behind.

Alright, we killed the Raptor! And yes, he exploded upon death. Okay, let's move on, and--

Get our poo poo wrecked.

Yeah, another Raptor shows up. A fair few will come along, and you can win this battle, but it's kind of hard. It takes a bit of luck and some skill, but it's okay to lose. It's not uncommon, either.

No matter what, though, Zach has our back.

Like any good dog, he's loyal and loves his buddy.

I have no doubts that he's taking us to safety.

Or in for a ritual sacrifice. Whichever works, really.

Ah, just took a Raptor claw to the guts. Could have walked it off, honestly.

Well, it was a clever girl.

I would like to know their bush teleporting technique. That was some Scooby Doo poo poo there.

I'd reckon if Zach here really took after his appearance, he would have just munched on York's face.

Hopefully, you know something about bazooka repair. Or have a catapult. Or something, really, to get us outta here.

Or we can save our game. Sure, yeah, that's good, too.

Fire Eyes, eh? Sounds like a hell of a Chief.

Robbing people blind in an RPG just isn't as fun when it's okay to do.

Yeah, let's do that next time. For now, we'll take a break.

However, next time on Secret of Evermore, we'll explore Fire Eyes' village, so stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 29, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A guy and his dog versus the world...I can get behind this.

And Fire Eyes? Sounds like a bad guy from Charmed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Something I really appreciated about this game is that these caveman looking people seem to talk like normal human beings and not like they've had brain damage while being raised by wolves.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Of note: while it actually looks "hopeless" the raptors can be beaten. There are a total of four and if you beat them you can just walk into the village as it is on the next screen (you also get a reward from an NPC in the village if you locate and talk to him). That said, it takes some tenacity and patience as you need to understand how their hitboxes work and sometimes it helps to go on the defensive and wait for them to strike you from an angle unfavorable to them. It's boring as hell to watch though, so I appreciate taking the cinematic and Jurassic Park-referential route.

Thanks for doing this LP. I was a huge fan of the game and will appreciate this chance to revisit it. Any chance we will be seeing some of the absurd glitches that this game has to offer as well?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ugh. Something fucky was happening, and I finally figured it out. I use the https:// address for the forums, and TinDeck doesn't have SSL configured right, so the image for the TinDeck link wasn't showing up in Firefox, and was showing as a broken image in Chrome.

Since LPs are one of the big draws of the forums for me, it's back to using the http:// address for me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's a known problem, ever since the forums turned on https, some people have had trouble with seeing http images.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

It's not a huge boost, but hey, :sugartits: all the same.

Also, a level up? In a Leavemywife LP?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Kheldarn posted:

Also, a level up? In a Leavemywife LP?

Hey, that's my schtick!

It's fine, really

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Explosionface posted:

Hey, that's my schtick!

It's fine, really

Then you better get back to it! :argh:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Leavemywife posted:

Then you better get back to it! :argh:

Oh, sure, act like you can boss me around and get some results.

Well, poo poo.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Kheldarn posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't expect this game to be Secret Of Mana 2, or related to it... :shrug:

Don't worry, I played this game first (then not too long later got Secret of Mana) so to my family it was like 'Oh, this game is cool!' then came SoM and it was all 'Heyyyyyyy.'
Both were well-loved and played a lot (until my brother cut up the chipboard in the cartridge for Mana in a fit of anger, the jerk). Same with Illusion of Time (Gaia).

Honestly, this game is really good. There's some issues here and there, yeah, but it's pretty drat solid overall. And there's so much hidden stuff - it gets to be a completionist's nightmare at times with how some things are set up to trick you into doing usual RPG stuff and then wham you down for doing so. Still a lot of fun and it's one of the few games where most 'treasure' doesn't matter too much if it's missed - it's there if you want to nab it but it's not going to set you back in the game if you don't. Which is nice!

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 29, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

silversatyr posted:

it's one of the few games where most 'treasure' doesn't matter too much if it's missed - it's there if you want to nab it but it's not going to set you back in the game if you don't. Which is nice!

I remember you mentioning you did game design; would you say that's good design? It gives the player incentive to not obsessively hunt for every piece of treasure, but allows for extra items and the like, but at the same time, it offers them no incentive to search for treasure, which means less exploration, which could lead to trouble down the line due to lower levels, and the possibility that you've created a large, fabulous looking map, in which most players won't explore it, because there's no real incentive to do so.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There is an incentive to explore the map the first time though though: if you forget to pick up a couple things, they're two pains and a quarter to go back and get.
The game is under the assumption that you'll thoroughly explore any area you find yourself in the first time you get there.

Occasionally it throws in a dick move with that too.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I was just replaying this game because you hit me in the nostalgia center when it came up, but I've noticed a lot of areas are circular, that is, you can loop back towards the beginning just by natural exploring. I had gone on, wanting to get to the next area really fast, but I also wanted to kill every creature in the area. Thus I ended up in a circle, coming back to the first area. Now that there were no enemies around, however, my dog immediately started sniffing out an item that I missed during my initial charge.

I dunno, I just think that maybe the areas have been created and designed with that idea in mind. Another area I found is a location where you have to halt your progress to "recharge", without spoiling anything. The areas where you stop to recharge were all covered in items for your dog to sniff out and for you to collect. I just found that the way they designed the areas really helped you out in finding most of the treasure. I might still have missed a few (I have sudden flashbacks to my childhood after replaying the beginning over forty times, so I can go "I remember this skull, it had some ash!", but obviously the further I go and the faster I do so, the less I'll get), but I found that the area design helps you discover them a lot better than if you had made a traditional "linear design + branches with treasure" that was popular in the SNES days.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
Oh man, i do love this game so much, i will have an absolute fun time watching you go through it, its my third favorit SNES Game.
That said, there are some Baffeling design choices later on, i will have just as much fun raging about, once they show up :D

anyway, i am looking forward to watch you play this game.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Well I'm glad at least the villagers are telling us we're free to take crap from their gourds instead of us just helping ourselves. It's like Fire Eyes is running some sort of anarchosyndicalist commune up in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Leavemywife posted:

I remember you mentioning you did game design; would you say that's good design? It gives the player incentive to not obsessively hunt for every piece of treasure, but allows for extra items and the like, but at the same time, it offers them no incentive to search for treasure, which means less exploration, which could lead to trouble down the line due to lower levels, and the possibility that you've created a large, fabulous looking map, in which most players won't explore it, because there's no real incentive to do so.

Well, you know how it is. One man's lack of sweet loot that levels you up naturally thus avoiding grinding is another man's extra surprise bonuses when you do have to go grinding.

• Locked thread