Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Windy posted:

I am looking at buying a new video card this week. I'm not huge on video games and my 560ti has kept up nicely.

I want to get a video card that is Vulkan capable for SPIR-V. I'm looking at around the $325 mark (AUD) which is either a 960 or a 380 from what I can see. I don't understand the market very much, what would be the better of the two for GPGPU (not using CUDA).

I think this is the best use case example to go to AMD. They'll likely have stronger Vulkan support and they've long been a better option for GPGPU if you're not using CUDA and not playing games.

Looking into the 280(x) might be a good idea though because the 380 is a gently caress you of rebrands based on the 285 which was slower than the 280.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Not sure about AU prices but if you're absolutely positive about no CUDA ever, the 380X is a solid card.

This seems to be the best deal according to pcpp, and dropping down to a 4GB 380 non-X doesn't save that much
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixr9380xoc4gga

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I just ordered a Sapphire R9 390, for a lower price than any of the GTX 970 I could find. Currently using a GTX 660ti but after upgrading to a 1440p monitor it's really starting to feel old.

Mostly excited to play total warhammer when it comes out, but also a lot games that are more like a slideshow right now and with next gen seemingly so far away, please tell me I made the right/wrong decision.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

snuff posted:

I just ordered a Sapphire R9 390, for a lower price than any of the GTX 970 I could find. Currently using a GTX 660ti but after upgrading to a 1440p monitor it's really starting to feel old.

Mostly excited to play total warhammer when it comes out, but also a lot games that are more like a slideshow right now and with next gen seemingly so far away, please tell me I made the right/wrong decision.

Yeah man, the R9 390 is pretty decent at 1440p especially when you consider the 3.5GB issue on 970s. Enjoy the poo poo outta that card, bud.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

snuff posted:

They're good cards and looking better by the day, especially at 1440.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yup, nothing wrong with 390s, especially if you can get them at least 10-15% cheaper than a 970. If you've already got a well cooled case and beefy enough PSU and can find the deal, its a no brainer.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

Not sure about AU prices but if you're absolutely positive about no CUDA ever, the 380X is a solid card.

This seems to be the best deal according to pcpp, and dropping down to a 4GB 380 non-X doesn't save that much
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixr9380xoc4gga

craig588 posted:

I think this is the best use case example to go to AMD. They'll likely have stronger Vulkan support and they've long been a better option for GPGPU if you're not using CUDA and not playing games.

Looking into the 280(x) might be a good idea though because the 380 is a gently caress you of rebrands based on the 285 which was slower than the 280.

Which brand should I look at?

4G R9-380X
Asus STRIX
Sapphire NITRO Dual X OC
Gigabyte G1 Gaming

I don't really want the Sapphire as it's $20 more but the other two have a difference of a few dollars.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Be sure to look into prices for used/refurb 290/290x/390 too. You do have to watch eBay/Kijiji for a bit but you can get one for about the same price as a 380X and they're quite a bit faster.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 29, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
^ Also check around sites like EVGA, they have their B-stock items that can end up saving a ton. Recently 980 cards have been showing up at least $100 less than retail, some 970 cards are at least $50-70 under retail too. I picked up a 970 a few months back when they were still near $400 and saved myself around $80, haven't had any problems and it looks/works like brand new :) They also routinely have midrange and high end 770/780 cards too, a few people here have nabbed 780Ti cards from the site for under $160 and 760/770 cards in both 2/4Gb flavors have been in the $90-130ish range too.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 29, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ozz81 posted:

^ Also check around sites like EVGA, they have their B-stock items that can end up saving a ton. Recently 980 cards have been showing up at least $100 less than retail, some 970 cards are at least $50-70 under retail too. I picked up a 970 a few months back when they were still near $400 and saved myself around $80, haven't had any problems and it looks/works like brand new :) They also routinely have midrange and high end 770/780 cards too, a few people here have nabbed 780Ti cards from the site for under $160 and 760/770 cards in both 2/4Gb flavors have been in the $90-130ish range too.

I love B-stock and I've bragged about it a few times (snagged a few 780 Tis for $180) but their prices are getting stale as the retail prices drop. A refurb 970 for $250 or a refurb 980 Ti for $600 is not really that great when you can get retail cards for that price nowadays, with a full warranty. 750 Tis have gone from $70-80 up to $100 (which again, is retail pricing nowadays). 770 for $180 or 780 for $210 (yes, higher than 780 Ti) were and still are bullshit prices nowadays. Also their shipping has gone from $5 up to $15-20.

Apart from the magical $180 780 Ti which is becoming less and less of a deal as shipping rises, 970s get cheaper, and Pascal/Polaris approaches - there's not really that much that's so hot on EVGA b-stock nowadays. Maybe the $40 680 or $80 690 if you can score them and are ok with low VRAM. Everything else needs a 30-50% price cut.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 29, 2016

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Ok, I got the 380x Asus Strix today. Very happy with it, X-Com 2 looks much nicer.

Is the Vulkan software beta safe to use on my main windows partition? Or should I only use it in Linux until it's released?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lord Windy posted:

Ok, I got the 380x Asus Strix today. Very happy with it, X-Com 2 looks much nicer.

Is the Vulkan software beta safe to use on my main windows partition? Or should I only use it in Linux until it's released?

From what I remember AMD's beta Vulkan software doesn't actually include any DirectX or OpenGL drivers - in which case you should definitely wait until an official release with those drivers integrated.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

From what I remember AMD's beta Vulkan software doesn't actually include any DirectX or OpenGL drivers - in which case you should definitely wait until an official release with those drivers integrated.

Awesome, thank you. I might pop in a crappy drive and install whatever the latest Ubuntu is to avoid any issues.

EDIT:

I'm glad they pulled out all the stops to tell me this in a flashy fashion.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 29, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, when I moved from Crossfire 6870s to a single GTX 760, I noticed a few things:

Greater Stability
Less heat
Better air flow
Better driver features:
-Shadowplay
-DSR

Obviously some of this is down to case/cooler characteristics, but things like the drivers are really nice. What does nVidia have over AMD in regards to things like DSR and shadowplay, the sort of extras tied more to drivers and software than explicitly to the physical hardware and its muscle? I've got a freesync monitor, but not sure if I want to even really look at AMD after my experience with the 6870s, and the stark difference in stability with the 760.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
To be fair, you're comparing Crossfire to a single card; of COURSE you're going to get better stability, a ton less heat, and better airflow. The same would be true had you gone from SLI to a single card. There's a reason multi-GPU setups are only recommended for people with a ton more money than sense (and even then...).

And I think you answered your own question? NVidia obviously has Shadowplay whereas AMD does not. AMD's Freesync isn't as polished as NVidia's GSync, but it shows up on a lot more monitors at a lot better price points.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Regardless of what you do, we are on the cusp of a new generation of graphics cards from both side which are going to feature die shrinks. At minimum, there will be all the things that come with die shrinks: Lower heat, better efficienct, etc, etc.

Wait before you make your decision.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Still life in the old girl.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PerrineClostermann posted:

So, when I moved from Crossfire 6870s to a single GTX 760, I noticed a few things:

Greater Stability
Less heat
Better air flow
Better driver features:
-Shadowplay
-DSR

Obviously some of this is down to case/cooler characteristics, but things like the drivers are really nice. What does nVidia have over AMD in regards to things like DSR and shadowplay, the sort of extras tied more to drivers and software than explicitly to the physical hardware and its muscle? I've got a freesync monitor, but not sure if I want to even really look at AMD after my experience with the 6870s, and the stark difference in stability with the 760.

DSR has an AMD equivalent now as well. I wouldn't know how well it does what it does first hand because my card's pushing too much already (turning off my wing monitors literally brings me back from capable to ready on the steam test), but if I remember right it's a bit less flexible but provides better image quality. I'm pretty sure shadowplay is the best at what it does, but checking out what AMD and windows 10 have may provide a good alternative.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MiniSune posted:

Still life in the old girl.

I'll bet you'd bench higher if you ran that Windows 10 updater in the corner of your screen. DO IT YOU WIMP

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zero VGS posted:

I'll bet you'd bench higher if you ran that Windows 10 updater in the corner of your screen. DO IT YOU WIMP

Best be jokin' (also, who hasn't disabled the crap out of that notification?)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, I'm mincing between a 970 or a 390x. I game on a 1680 x 1050 monitor(s) so I don't need an overly powerful gpu but I want to get out from underneath my 760 which just doesn't cut it anymore. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I hated my last AMD cards driver support. Because statistically it appears that the 390x completely destroys the 970.

Help.

Edit: I want to add that it's been years since my last AMD card so if the driver support has gotten better, I'd believe it.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 29, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PerrineClostermann posted:

Greater Stability
Less heat
Better air flow
Better driver features:
-Shadowplay
-DSR

Pre r9 crossfire was notably bad even when it was working, and some of those negatives are characteristics of any dual GPU setup. I wouldn't poo poo on AMD for this particular experience. Just everything else in the last 1.5 years :v:

Shadowplay really does kick so much rear end but I would be shocked if AMD didn't follow suit given the popularity of streaming, and recording in general. I think "all" they need to do is include a h264 encoder chip (?).

Blacktoll posted:

So, I'm mincing between a 970 or a 390x. I game on a 1680 x 1050 monitor(s) so I don't need an overly powerful gpu but I want to get out from underneath my 760 which just doesn't cut it anymore. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I hated my last AMD cards driver support. Because statistically it appears that the 390x completely destroys the 970.

Help.

It does ? :confused:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

According to gpu bosses comparison it appeared to, unless I'm off completely.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blacktoll posted:

According to gpu bosses comparison it appeared to, unless I'm off completely.

Yes that just compares numbers and goes "this number is greater than that number" which is very invalid between different architectures.

An aftermarket 970 performs very similar to an aftermarket 390x (or, 290x). Apples to apples I think most people prefer a 970. Once you throw in good deals and the price of a 290x - same card - the 290x can be a better value.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Solid advice, thank you. I'll look into pricing for a 970 and see where that is at. I enjoy Nvidias extras like shadowplay and driver support.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Blacktoll posted:

Help.

Edit: I want to add that it's been years since my last AMD card so if the driver support has gotten better, I'd believe it.

You should really compare the 970 to the 390, at a low resolution like that I would go for the 970 (and this is coming from someone who just ordered a 390)

And yes, the 390x destroys the 970.

Also worth considering is if you want a free the division game or a free hitman game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I would like the division for free. This is true. It's looking like the 970 is the smart buy for me. Appreciate it

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blacktoll posted:

Solid advice, thank you. I'll look into pricing for a 970 and see where that is at. I enjoy Nvidias extras like shadowplay and driver support.

If you look at aftermarket 970 reviews they pretty much trade blows or beat a 290x/390x in most situations. If you look at aftermarket 390x reviews they seem to be better than the 970 in a lot of benches. This is almost always because they are using reference nvidia numbers for comparison, and vice versa for AMD when reviewing nvidia cards. I have a long standing gripe with nvidia for this - for many generations now their reference values have been seemingly unnecessarily low. This last generation being the worst offender with 970's, 980's, and 980ti's having a reference clock speed something like 25% lower than what you get from an aftermarket card (ie, the one you'd actually buy) and then they can overclock another ~20% on top of that. Whereas AMD cards typically get a small overclock - which is better in my opinion. They should ship that way. Nvidias reference clocks are the nicest thing nvidia has done for AMD for a few generations now.

Point is though this is a long winded " a 970 is on par with a 390x" lol

snuff posted:

You should really compare the 970 to the 390, at a low resolution like that I would go for the 970 (and this is coming from someone who just ordered a 390)

And yes, the 390x destroys the 970.

Also worth considering is if you want a free the division game or a free hitman game.

:confused: what is going on

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don't forget the serious wattage savings that conveniently evaporate as soon as Maxwell is overclocked at all

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Don't forget the serious wattage savings that conveniently evaporate as soon as Maxwell is overclocked at all

Is this true? I never looked into it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh yeah, Maxwell is efficient because it's clocked low and is tuned to draw very little. As soon as you try to extract seriously competitive power your 150 W card is pulling 225 W and it hungers for more.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yeah the only real efficiency winner is the 980ti, which you don't have to overvolt so much to get performance gains out of

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That, and part of how Nvidia was able to achieve such power savings was by removing the hardware scheduler and going with a software one instead. Which now has them panicking and going, "No really, guys! We are absolutely ready for DX12! We can totally do async shading! It's just that the drivers for it aren't ready yet! Would we ever lie to you?"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah the only real efficiency winner is the 980ti, which you don't have to overvolt so much to get performance gains out of

After briefly looking it looked to be the other way around to me

25 and 35 watts respectively and thats a 1510 mhz.

But then we have

But im just clicking around. I'm sure a specific test is out there to show what you guys mean.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Is this true? I never looked into it.

Yes

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/12/22/asus_r9_390_strix_directcu_iii_video_card_review/10

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ah there we are.

Can you provide source to earlier "390x destroys 970" though cause that would be news to me

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ah there we are.

Can you provide source to earlier "390x destroys 970" though cause that would be news to me

Sorry but I'm not going to use google for you, I have no stake in AMD or NVIDIA just posting facts. If you want to compare cards performance wise you should compare the GTX 980 to the 390X.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

snuff posted:

Sorry but I'm not going to use google for you, I have no stake in AMD or NVIDIA just posting facts. If you want to compare cards performance wise you should compare the GTX 980 to the 390X.

There we have it, the 390x destroys the 970

The only times a 390x "destroys" a 970 is when they benchmark it against reference cards, or in 4k.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 29, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ah there we are.

The 290X has always sat closer to a GTX 980 performance-wise, but drivers can often find the 970 beating it out. Averaging out every game I think it still manages to do like 5-10% better than a 970 through sheer brute force, and the 390X (at least the MSI version) has a way way bigger heatsink than the 290X to help overcome its predecessor's throttling issues.

So, 5-10% isn't exactly "destroys", but it is usually better. Here, proof is in the pudding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSDQzlKDYq4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

The 290X has always sat closer to a GTX 980 performance-wise, but drivers can often find the 970 beating it out. Averaging out every game I think it still manages to do like 5-10% better than a 970 through sheer brute force, and the 390X (at least the MSI version) has a way way bigger heatsink than the 290X to help overcome its predecessor's throttling issues.

So, 5-10% isn't exactly "destroys", but it is usually better. Here, proof is in the pudding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSDQzlKDYq4

This is about what I had in mind. This is their quote from this test

quote:

And that's really where the inevitable GTX 970 comparisons should begin. The Nvidia card basically comes in virtually every shape and size available - the model we use is a tiny Zotac version. That product has a miniscule factory overclock (+25MHz to the core), but is more notable for its diminutive dimensions, allowing it to fit inside most of the mini-ITX gaming cases available. We've also had hands-on experience of the MSI Gaming 4G model - very much a standard size GPU, but with the overclocking headroom available to let the product trade blows with a GTX 980, something that the R9 390 is unlikely to be capable of in the majority of games.