Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

I don't know either, that's why it's so frustrating. But janky it is, I assure you.

You are aware the game only moves when you move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why's Stardew Valley at the top of the charts? Are people that desperate for Harvest Moon on pc?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Played a bit more of Bear Simulator and it has quite a few areas, including what is apparently a military facility (??????) but I suspect it wouldn't amount to much. With minimal music/sound effect I think it'll probably work best as a chillout podcast game.

Verdict: Don't buy this unless it's part of a good humble bundle

E: I went through reviews and apparently it has a very anti-GMO plot????

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 29, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SynthOrange posted:

Why's Stardew Valley at the top of the charts? Are people that desperate for Harvest Moon on pc?

Sandbox crafting & building games in general have been very popular for a while now.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Because it's cheap, accessible, and fun you loving idiot.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

SynthOrange posted:

yes, actually

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jBrereton posted:

Because it's cheap, accessible, and fun you loving idiot.

Bullshit, why does Dota have 4x the amount of players then anything on that chart?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just bought Factorio.
I have come to the conclusion that it's the thinking man's Cookie Clicker. It pushes all the same pleasure buttons.
Watching a conveyor belt roll by laden with new products should not be this fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Turtlicious posted:

Bullshit, why does Dota have 4x the amount of players then anything on that chart?

To be popular a video game you can either be fun or be somehow designed to attract turbo-autists. That second part is behind the popularity of competitive online games like dota or csgo.

e: and I say this as a dota player

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Superhot is a way better sequel to Hotline Miami than the real one.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

To be popular a video game you can either be fun or be somehow designed to attract turbo-autists. That second part is behind the popularity of competitive online games like dota or csgo.

e: and I say this as a dota player

Or, to be popular, make a survival-type game. The gaming equivalent of building a sandcastle at a beach and then after a while someone comes over and shoves their foot in it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I definitely suggest dota as an excellent video game to play, as evidenced by the fact that dota goons have managed to get their thread gassed twice in a day.

you, too, can experience crippling mental illness first hand. just become a Dota Player (tm), and spend literally thousands of hours playing a game while you post about hating it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Dota is just a video game and people who both play it and don't play it get weirdly dramatic about it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Or, to be popular, make a survival-type game. The gaming equivalent of building a sandcastle at a beach and then after a while someone comes over and shoves their foot in it.

To be specific, a survival-type game where resource scarcity goes out the window after the first ten minutes!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's an incredibly blatant rip off of an obscure pre-Wolfenstien id Software game on Greenlight.

drat it, Greenlight. :smith:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

:sbahj: That earned a look at his game

(It looks like garbage)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

hovertank 3D, for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7juV9zo5Tk

that's pretty loving blatant

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

a medical mystery posted:

hovertank 3D, for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7juV9zo5Tk

that's pretty loving blatant

The guy posted this in some other forum:

quote:

Well, isnt that obvious? I originally wanted to acquire Hovertank's rights, but someone beat me to it. Next best thing was to make a clone of it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

I was torn between making an "eat a food" joke (too obscure) or a corn_in_the_tummy.jpg joke (a little too close to weird) so I ended up going with nothing, a classic reference to one of this threads greats.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's a demo for ESA you can try, and the layout is different from the full game so you won't really be spoiled, IIRC

The one thing Axiom Verge has over ESA is its diverse weaponry, but Axiom Verge is also tailored more towards action than exploration as a result.

Why would you use any other weapon than the green ball that can penetrate walls, though?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lmao

i looked it up and hovertank got its source released 2014, so given the timing of his initial posting of this chances are high he just changed some levels, compiled that, and is trying to flip it complete with original assets

which could potentially bite him in the rear end as it's under GNU license and subject to copyleft iirc

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Applewhite posted:

Just bought Factorio.
I have come to the conclusion that it's the thinking man's Cookie Clicker. It pushes all the same pleasure buttons.
Watching a conveyor belt roll by laden with new products should not be this fun.
The next step is buying Infinifactory. That poo poo is dope:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 29, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

a medical mystery posted:

which could potentially bite him in the rear end as it's under GNU license and subject to copyleft iirc

https://github.com/FlatRockSoft/Hovertank3D <-- this one?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Infinifactory gifs give me the weirdest boner... sorry, what were we talking about?

:mario: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2016 :mario:

1. Cargo Commander
2. Freedom Planet
3. Capsized
4. Knytt Underground
5. Rochard
6. NightSky
7. Canyon Capers
8. Intrusion 2
9. Mutant Mudds Deluxe
10. Teslagrad
11. Tiny Barbarian DX
12. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
13. Snapshot
14. Lunnye Devitsy
15. Wake
16. Cast of the Seven Godsends
17. Nihilumbra
18. Akane the Kunoichi
19. Chaos Domain
20. Gateways
21. 6180 the moon
22. Gunman Clive
23. BasketBelle
24. Just Get Through
25. Gravilon
26. Taimumari
27. Probability 0
28. Pid

29. Elliot Quest

I can still remember the birthday I got Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Being a huge fan of the original, I was so excited to dig into the sequel despite knowing nothing about it. For years it was one of my biggest NES disappointments, being too hard and too confusing for my elementary-aged self. I've learned to appreciate it in the intervening years, as well as similar games from the era like Simon's Quest and Journey to Olympus. I only bring this up because Elliot Quest has done an amazing job of refreshing all those memories, good and bad alike.

You play Elliot, a terminally ill youth on a quest to maybe save himself through divine intervention. There's a pretty rich and developed world to explore that contains four guardians that might have the key to saving Elliot's life, and it's your job to guide him through those forgotten places, and the cliffs and caves that lead to them, mostly unscathed. The world map is huge, with tons of locations of interest, side areas, secret areas, and even enemy encounters.

Elliot's default weapon is a bow that fires in an arc, but you gain experience from enemies that can be used to upgrade your attack (and movement and health and magic) that can make it fire faster or straighter. You'll also pick up magic spells, items like bombs and potions, and abilities like double jumps from the many locales you visit. Almost every single area has alternate paths and secrets accessible only with the right powers, so you'll have plenty of reasons to revisit parts of the world.

There are SO many paths and secrets, in fact, that it can often be hard to tell where you're supposed to go next. My main complaint about Elliot and his Quest is the difficulty, and it's a two-fold issue. The game dumps you in a wide-open world with a fairly clear path to the first temple, but after that there are tons of caves and forts and forests and cliffs that may or may not be the path ahead. You'll need to be very familiar with your abilities to know how to proceed, and many of them are creative enough to make that difficult. Your reward from the first major area, for example, is unlike most powers found in platformers and takes a good bit of experimentation to understand.

Even if you know where you're going, though, there's no guarantee you can get there alive. Elliot Quest can be very difficult at times, with a major spike around the second temple that came as a shock to me. Some enemies are posed in ways that make them almost impossible to avoid, and invincible enemies start appearing with more and more frequency the further in you get. Checkpoints are plentiful but you lose XP every time you die, a particularly brutal punishment considering how challenging some sequences can be. After a few hours my problem wasn't so much where to go, as my options being almost too difficult to face.

It's pretty remarkable how faithfully Elliot Quest follows in The Adventure of Link's footsteps, down to the confounding levels and difficulty spikes. They're both games that demand a lot of time and attention to appreciate, but are undeniably worth it in the end. Elliot Quest has an absurd amount of secrets and side content to uncover, all presented in charming pixel graphics and pleasing ambiance. If you like your retro platformers challenging and engrossing, you'll get all that and then some here.

I'll be back in a bit to close out the month with a few thoughts.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Probably, looks legit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ori and the Blind Forest snubbed by Zombie Samurai, unsubscribing

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
This Reagan/Gorbachev game looks.. Interesting. Has anyone here played it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/364720/

Also they updated XCOM 2 for linux and it fixed just about every problem I was having. Good game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man I really shouldn't have spent 14 hours playing Omikron.

Impressions: it's broken, confusing and ugly in almost every possible way. The plot doesn't make any sense - rapidly devolving from dystopian future mystery to classically David Cagian supernatural beings. You start playing as a cop solving his partner's murder, you end by playing a thousand year old reincarnation of a space viking battling immortal demons - and it's still dull.

I think David Cage might be the worst writer in the industry - just waffling on about the stupidest goddamn poo poo with made up words like Besh'lem and Kashle'n for hours. Not even Bowie can make this dialogue palatable.

The adventuring is clumsy, relying on RE tank controls and the pain of trying to get everything lined up to pick up something, coupled with extremely limited storage space. The fighting is literally bashing random buttons and the FPS sequences.

My god the FPS sequences. Hitscan, instant shoot enemies that target you through walls and from beyond the draw distance, controls that feel like you're drunkenly lurching about and, to my horror, eventually first person jumping puzzles.

Added woes are only being allowed to save when you have 'magic rings' (which you can't buy and are just scattered randomly about in tiny quantities).

I guess David Bowie's in it and occasionally there's this glimmer where the game's ambition comes within a couple of percent of what it actually achieves but christ....

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:mario: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2016 FINAL STAGE :mario:

THE GOOD
1. Cargo Commander
2. Freedom Planet
4. Knytt Underground
5. Rochard
6. NightSky
9. Mutant Mudds Deluxe
10. Teslagrad
11. Tiny Barbarian DX
12. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
14. Lunnye Devitsy
17. Nihilumbra
20. Gateways
21. 6180 the moon
22. Gunman Clive
23. BasketBelle
24. Just Get Through
27. Probability 0
28. Pid
29. Elliot Quest

THE BAD
3. Capsized
7. Canyon Capers
8. Intrusion 2
13. Snapshot
15. Wake
16. Cast of the Seven Godsends
18. Akane the Kunoichi
19. Chaos Domain
25. Gravilon
26. Taimumari

Thirteen thousand words about indie platformers. Jesus, I need a break.

I will say that I feel a lot better about throwing in on random bundles after this. Indie platformers are more often than not worth a look, especially if you have a weakness for pixel graphics or exploration games. There's also a lot of derivation from more popular titles to be found, which isn't really a bad thing if you want more of a particular kind of platforming. The real danger is that when a game goes bad, it goes really bad.

The biggest flaw I've seen in my roundup is difficulty. Indie developers, probably taking misguided inspiration from Super Meat Boy or Spelunky or even Dark Souls, tend to make their games a bit too hard for to a general audience. A lot of the games I played probably could have hit it big if not for their punishing difficulty, like Snapshot, Teslagrad, and Elliot Quest. Even some of the games I enjoyed went too far with the challenge, which made more moderate titles like NightSky and 6180 the moon stand out a lot more. Given that I was looking for the most obscure indie platformers in my library, it's not hard to conclude that the common thread of difficulty may have pushed them to the bottom.

I hope you've enjoyed my rundowns of the many ways to fall onto spikes over the last month. Maybe you even found a title or two to wishlist. I'm glad I rummaged around in the dusty corners of my library and found a few little gems, but I'm also very glad to not be playing any more platformers for awhile. A long while.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, OK. Do shooters next.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SynthOrange posted:

Pretty much. Outside of the 3DS the only options have been pure IAP garbage.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Zombie Samurai posted:

I hope you've enjoyed my rundowns of the many ways to fall onto spikes over the last month. Maybe you even found a title or two to wishlist. I'm glad I rummaged around in the dusty corners of my library and found a few little gems, but I'm also very glad to not be playing any more platformers for awhile. A long while.

I have definitely enjoyed these. There is so much garbage on Steam that it helps to able to get a small look into games I would otherwise gloss over. Really makes me miss Steam Shots :smith:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I got Stardew Valley this morning and put two hours in. It's pretty fun and relaxing if you like that sort of game.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mordja posted:

Yeah, OK. Do shooters next.

Please do, I need fresh fodder or my wishlist, and even Doom can get stale after awhile.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zombie Samurai posted:

I will say that I feel a lot better about throwing in on random bundles after this. Indie platformers are more often than not worth a look, especially if you have a weakness for pixel graphics or exploration games. There's also a lot of derivation from more popular titles to be found, which isn't really a bad thing if you want more of a particular kind of platforming. The real danger is that when a game goes bad, it goes really bad.

I have a strong hatred of most "8 bit pixel graphics" (unless it's like Shovel Knight which owns but hardly the same thing) so this pretty much makes like 99% of indie platformers unplayable for me :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'd be so much more into trying Stardew Valley if it wasn't so ugly. If it looked like... I dunno, Secrets of Grindea or like Wizorb I'd give it a shot, since I've never played Harvest Moon. Instead it has this really bland uninspired look to it that frankly looks like something out of RPG maker.

Zombie Samurai posted:

The biggest flaw I've seen in my roundup is difficulty. Indie developers, probably taking misguided inspiration from Super Meat Boy or Spelunky or even Dark Souls, tend to make their games a bit too hard for to a general audience. A lot of the games I played probably could have hit it big if not for their punishing difficulty, like Snapshot, Teslagrad, and Elliot Quest.

That's always a huge problem. The biggest thing I think is that they have this crazy difficulty right from the beginning. You aren't eased into it at all. Shovel Knight is a perfect example of doing a platformer where they ease you into the really difficult stuff over time. They teach you how enemies and certain obstacles work, and then they eventually mix those those things together down the line for a real challenge. Like you're introduced to things like, silhouetted levels, those propeller dudes who push you and platforms that have holes in them you can't see so you fall through them. In one of the final levels they combine all three of those and by that point you've experienced each one individually that now the challenge is how you deal with them together. I think I'd be more down for Super Meat Boy if it wasn't just this insane barrage of bullshit from the beginning and instead worked it's way up to how difficult the game can be. Don't exhaust the player so early! Imagine of Mario 3D World had every level from level 1 be as hard as Champion's Road. It would get tiresome really fast.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Just wanted to say that Pid is a great game to play on the couch with friends. It's got a co-op mode, the challenge is decent (I dunno if maybe Zombie Samurai was just burnt out but I didn't feel it was ball breakingly difficult at any point, especially not early on) although a little inconsistent (frequently gets a lot easier again after a certain section), and checkpoints are really frequent, very seldom throwing you back too far. The bosses are tough but they were the only real sections where we had to start over 10+ times and iirc one or two let you skip their intro stage after a certain amount of tries.

The atmosphere is really relaxing despite the challenge and appeals to non-gamers too, my old housemates bought it on my PS3 and cleared it in a week or so. It occurs to me there's probably no local co-op on steam but if you have a setup that allows you to stream from your couch or something I'd really recommend it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So Orcs must Die 1 and 2 were great. What the gently caress are they thinking on the new one?
8 Characters to choose from, lead an army of your own minions. Sounds great!

"More Ways to Slay – Every Orcs Must Die! game introduces new ways to bust skulls. Everyone’s favorite Endless mode has returned in Orcs Must Die! Unchained along with expanded 5-player co-op. For the first time in the series, War Mages can also now team up with four friends to compete in 5v5 multiplayer rift siege warfare"

How much does it cost? F2P

And everything is ether grind to earn crafting elements which then can be used to craft but crafting results are randomized! Think chests in tf2.
Or throw real money at it to get more random chances! Only thing you can outright buy intentionally is Vanity Skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Macaluso posted:

I'd be so much more into trying Stardew Valley if it wasn't so ugly. If it looked like... I dunno, Secrets of Grindea or like Wizorb I'd give it a shot, since I've never played Harvest Moon. Instead it has this really bland uninspired look to it that frankly looks like something out of RPG maker.

It's basically slightly improved programmer art so you're not wrong. I love the game, I hope he hires a few people and makes stardew valley 2: now we're a real studio edition.

• Locked thread