Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Melmac posted:

I just saw the most ridiculous Sears commercial ever while watching Hulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40BhLUcqpo

Are they trying to rebrand themselves as "the Sears you used to remember" and hope you don't notice it's just a single stoned teenager "helping" you?

My grandma worked for Sears back in the 60s and 70s. She still buys Kenmore poo poo and service plans to this day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

thathonkey posted:

This is a pretty weird position to hold. Goons really can hate anything

You just know that there's a goon out there who is angry at the moon or something equally dumb

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Cyril Sneer posted:

What? How much music do you listen to? There's lots of small-time artists whose material is only available through Spotify, with no YouTube presence at all. At best, maybe a fan uploads a track or two.

None of the smaller artists I listen to currently have Spotify exclusive deals so I've never really noticed this. I guess Spotify has something, then!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

You just know that there's a goon out there who is angry at the moon or something equally dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adz4rbKSsDI

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Professor Shark posted:

I for one think tides are HORSE poo poo

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Professor Shark posted:

loving tides.

fake edit: ^^^^^^^^ loving A MAN

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sydin posted:

It's not a public company but Spotify is probably going to eat poo poo in the next year or two. It was one thing when they were losing money hand over fist as the only game in town, but now they're losing money hand over fist and Apple Music is stealing all their paying subscribers.
Where do you see this? I loving love Spotify (and gently caress Pandora, I'm glad that poo poo is dying) so I hope they stick around without slowly bleeding out their entire music library (which is insanely comprehensive and good). I don't know anyone using Apple Music either.

though 'm a bit tired of hearing "Well.. the thing is.. I was just wondering if you wanted to...." "Lost for words? Share a song!" ad every 5 minutes.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Xaris posted:

Where do you see this? I loving love Spotify (and gently caress Pandora, I'm glad that poo poo is dying) so I hope they stick around without slowly bleeding out their entire music library (which is insanely comprehensive and good). I don't know anyone using Apple Music either.

though 'm a bit tired of hearing "Well.. the thing is.. I was just wondering if you wanted to...." "Lost for words? Share a song!" ad every 5 minutes.

i wonder if companies are ever going to stop the "hey, X is successful! let's make our own version of X!" idea. it happened with netflix and with steam and the only thing those things achieved was fragment the user base.

like who even bothers with Origin/whatever that thing ubisoft made on their computer?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Xaris posted:

Because Spotify is losing a lot of money, and have been losing money for as long as they've been around. They've been propped up by investor cash for most of their existence, but if Apple Music eclipses them a lot of the investors will get spooked and run.

As other goons have pointed out, it's not really Spotify's fault. Rates & royalties for streaming services are completely and utterly hosed, and Apple is taking advantage of their first party nature and sticking Apple Music front and center of every device they sell. Also they've got billions upon billions of dollars in assets and can afford to run their music streaming service at a loss in perpetuity until the RIAA gets dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah I don't get that I guess. Who actively hates radio?

I do as well, I used to work for a factory and we weren't allowed to use earbuds to listen to our own music, so we had to listen to radio. Radio sucks because it's poo poo music, fucktarded hosts and enormous amounts of lovely commercials, furthermore the public service channels without commercials have even more retarded hosts and even shittier music. So thank god for Spotify and other streaming services, I can't wait for the radio to die.

Sydin posted:

Because Spotify is losing a lot of money, and have been losing money for as long as they've been around. They've been propped up by investor cash for most of their existence, but if Apple Music eclipses them a lot of the investors will get spooked and run.

As other goons have pointed out, it's not really Spotify's fault. Rates & royalties for streaming services are completely and utterly hosed, and Apple is taking advantage of their first party nature and sticking Apple Music front and center of every device they sell. Also they've got billions upon billions of dollars in assets and can afford to run their music streaming service at a loss in perpetuity until the RIAA gets dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

That's just because they are still growing massively, once they settle down they will make a sizeable profit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Ah drat. That's too bad. I really do like Spotify and I think it's impressing that they've managed to get as much music as they have, like virtually everything is on there. Not looking forward to ever using itunes on PC.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I guess I always listen to NPR or the BBC on radio? No smugness intended, I guess I could see not liking radio, but eh

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Business Gorillas posted:

i wonder if companies are ever going to stop the "hey, X is successful! let's make our own version of X!" idea. it happened with netflix and with steam and the only thing those things achieved was fragment the user base.

like who even bothers with Origin/whatever that thing ubisoft made on their computer?

In Canada, Rogers (cable) and Bell (satellite) created their own streaming services to combat people using Netflix. Their thinking was that if you used Crave or ShoMi it wouldn't count against your data cap. They were also making the services exclusive to their users. Well the CRTC (our version of FCC) said "No" to both and now they are available to anyone for $8 a month but I give it a year or two before they are shut down.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I guess I always listen to NPR or the BBC on radio? No smugness intended, I guess I could see not liking radio, but eh

I do wish it was a less advertising driven medium so you could get more BBC or NPR type content and less 90 MINUTES OF GENERIC ROCK HITS IN A ROW EXCEPT THE FIFTEEN MINUTE BREAK FOR COMMERCIALS

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

My grandma worked for Sears back in the 60s and 70s. She still buys Kenmore poo poo and service plans to this day...

Kenmore stuff isn't bad. It's largely rebadged Whirlpool brand appliances. They've taken on other makers too, but usually the only difference between a Kenmore washer and a Maytag/Whirlpool/Amana washer of similar specs is the sticker that says Kenmore. As for the plans, well that's a judgement call on her behalf.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

I want free poo poo in return for my unbiased and honest review of 1 star.

Also I loving hate it that every time I buy something from Amazon, I get an email asking me to give some free advertising in the form of a 5* review. gently caress you!

quote:

Hello [Internet Denizen],

Thank you again for your order of our Professional Scissors!

My name is Frank Garcia, I am one of the owners of Evergreen Art Supply.

We noticed that your order was delivered recently. I just wanted to check and make sure that you're happy with your new scissors. If there are any issues at all, please reply to this message so I can make things right.

We Need Your HELP!
We're a small family business and we rely on your feedback and reviews, without them we wouldn't exist.

What do YOU think of our Scissors? Your review is CRUCIAL to us!
Reviews are a way of letting us and future customers know what you think about our product - Our business relies on your review, so it would be an ENORMOUS help if you could leave one, it only takes a minute and is deeply appreciated. Thank you!

IT'S JUST A PAIR OF SCISSORS.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Online reviews are a disease and if possible I'd like them to be cured asap, tia.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Yeah I don't get that I guess. Who actively hates radio?
gently caress radio. I'd like radio if it actually played music, but it's 50%+ ads on every station. I'd rather listen to nothing at all or music I brought on a usb device/whatever.

It's the same thing with who watches actual tv with ads? Who doesn't browse streaming media sites without an adblocker? It confuses me more that people actually do these things than it does that someone hates radio.

I don't even know anyone under 40 who listens to the radio so I don't see how hating it is that strange.

Khorne has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csj7vMKy4EI

Terrestrial radio is dumb though and I wish I could blow it up.

NPR and local public radio (KBOO in Portland, OR) is p cool and I listen to AM talk radio to laugh at idiots but other than that it's all terrible.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bonzo posted:

In Canada, Rogers (cable) and Bell (satellite) created their own streaming services to combat people using Netflix. Their thinking was that if you used Crave or ShoMi it wouldn't count against your data cap. They were also making the services exclusive to their users. Well the CRTC (our version of FCC) said "No" to both and now they are available to anyone for $8 a month but I give it a year or two before they are shut down.

Shomi is so awful too.

You'd think they'd at least release the service in a state that its at least as useable as Netflix but NOPE, the app is barely functional on iOS (occasional crash, cant remember last viewing spot, no next episode autoplay). From what I'm also reading, android also sounds like a disaster. It wasn't even available on the PS4 (largest install base of the current gen consoles!) until a week ago and STILL isn't available on the Xbox One!

They're basically counting on users flocking to the service JUST for the content that they've snatched exclusivity rights to and completely ignored the quality of the experience.

I agree, I give the service a year or two before its done.

Business Gorillas posted:

Origin is, sadly, the only way to play EA games. So if you're like me, and love Battlefield or the latest Bioware Waifu simulator, its the only way to go. Origin has gotten way better, though.

Uplay, ehhh...I think you have to have it installed to play Ubisoft games even through Steam? I played around with the client to play The Division beta and its gotten a lot better too.

Yeah, I don't like every publisher having their own DRM-Digital-Storefront, but that's where we are now. :sigh:

I guess it keeps Valve on their toes? :shrug:

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Feb 29, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I distinctly remember that despite buying Farcry 3 via Steam I had to then link it to a uplay account which I promptly forgot, and so when I wanted to replay it a year later it wouldn't let me launch the game I clearly owned and installed via Steam because it was linked to different uplay account.

Oh well, Ubisoft is currently on the receiving end of a hostile takeover from Vivendi, so whoever the goon was who called their demise earlier in the thread gets a cookie.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

I distinctly remember that despite buying Farcry 3 via Steam I had to then link it to a uplay account which I promptly forgot, and so when I wanted to replay it a year later it wouldn't let me launch the game I clearly owned and installed via Steam because it was linked to different uplay account.

Oh well, Ubisoft is currently on the receiving end of a hostile takeover from Vivendi, so whoever the goon was who called their demise earlier in the thread gets a cookie.

Almost same thing for me, but thankfully I had the log in crap stored somewhere. Still had a blast replaying that game. I'm just bitter about having all the good splintercell games except Pandora Tomorrow :goonsay:

Youtube is loving amazing if you can work a job that isn't totally nazi about what you are using your internet for. The problem with music on youtube is that you will find an entire album uploaded, free of intermittent ads, suddenly disappear a year later or so.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Shomi and whatever the other one is is almost certainly just a way for the big telecoms to prevent streaming rights for most content from lapsing into the hands of a viable streaming service in Canada.

That's a weird industry right now because they've got a near monopoly on their market but at the same time the big players seem to be losing their poo poo.

Shaw sold off a bunch of their rights to the wireless spectrum for cell service then bought Wind Mobile like two weeks later, makes zero sense.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Regional rights are garbage too. I liked Netflix so much more when I had a dns changer because Netflix Canada would get some shows up to season 2010 while I had to switch over to like Mexico or whatever to get the content. Mexico is getting season 2 of Better Call Saul the same week as it is aired on AMC yet Canada just recently got season one.

Arbitrary limitations on digital media is the worst and it just leads to piracy.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

gently caress the moon. Also radio is just plain awful and I wonder how anybody can even listen to that poo poo.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

1500quidporsche posted:

I do wish it was a less advertising driven medium so you could get more BBC or NPR type content and less 90 MINUTES OF GENERIC ROCK HITS IN A ROW EXCEPT THE FIFTEEN MINUTE BREAK FOR COMMERCIALS

....why not just listen to NPR then? I must be missing something lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Canadian Netflix is just poo poo. They have 12 seasons of Hercule Poirot, for example, but not the 13th season... which aired in 2014

They also mostly upload Asylum or cheap Asian movies, every-so-often some popular title from the mid 2000's

They deserve to lose subscribers because they suck and instead of making their service better they're cracking down on paying users who connect with Netflix US

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

gently caress the moon. Also radio is just plain awful and I wonder how anybody can even listen to that poo poo.

CBC and especially BBC Radio are both excellent.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

thathonkey posted:

This is a pretty weird position to hold. Goons really can hate anything
Radio the broadcast medium should be kept around for ages to come since everyone and everything has an AM/FM receiver in it and that is a very useful thing to keep around.

Radio the content can go die in a fire for all the points others have brought up IE being nothing but poo poo.

Snuffman posted:

Origin is, sadly, the only way to play EA games. So if you're like me, and love Battlefield or the latest Bioware Waifu simulator, its the only way to go. Origin has gotten way better, though.
Im sorry you enjoy poo poo from a poo poo company who hates you? :shrug:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

....why not just listen to NPR then? I must be missing something lol

They don't have NPR in :canada:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Khorne posted:

gently caress radio. I'd like radio if it actually played music, but it's 50%+ ads on every station. I'd rather listen to nothing at all or music I brought on a usb device/whatever.

It's the same thing with who watches actual tv with ads? Who doesn't browse streaming media sites without an adblocker? It confuses me more that people actually do these things than it does that someone hates radio.

I don't even know anyone under 40 who listens to the radio so I don't see how hating it is that strange.

I guess I do have this super hatred of ads in general and radio seems to have the way worst ads around than any other media.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sydin posted:

So what you're saying here is that Spotify is the Amazon of streaming music.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

CBC and especially BBC Radio are both excellent.

That's one thing I'll admit state run and public radio seems to be pretty great.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It does get pretty old listening to another Flo commercial when jumping between stations that are all doing ads at the same time.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
If you listen to anything on NPR other than the actual news and Car talk then you are what's wrong with white people.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Irradiation posted:

If you listen to anything on NPR other than the actual news and Car talk then you are what's wrong with white people.

RIP Click (or was it Clack, I dunno)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

1500quidporsche posted:

They don't have NPR in :canada:
My dude I KNOW they have CBC :agesilaus:

It's me... I'm the old person who listens to news on the radio :( I haven't listened to music on the radio in like.. 10 years

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Irradiation posted:

I would imagine it's similar to the CBC where they have very good stuff and then stuff way off in white upper middle class liberal fantasy land.

I've got about four reliable stations, two are CBC, some listener supported station and then campus radio which is crazy hit or miss.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Houle posted:

Regional rights are garbage too. I liked Netflix so much more when I had a dns changer because Netflix Canada would get some shows up to season 2010 while I had to switch over to like Mexico or whatever to get the content. Mexico is getting season 2 of Better Call Saul the same week as it is aired on AMC yet Canada just recently got season one.

Arbitrary limitations on digital media is the worst and it just leads to piracy.

I can cast Starz from my phone to my TV using an xfinity login. I can use the starz app on my Amazon fire using the same login. I can not use the Starz app on my smart TV using that login. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

1500quidporsche posted:

I would imagine it's similar to the CBC where they have very good stuff and then stuff way off in white upper middle class liberal fantasy land.

I've got about four reliable stations, two are CBC, some listener supported station and then campus radio which is crazy hit or miss.

Bingo