Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the only thing i do is ride my bike at 30+ kph for hours at a time in the middle of nowhere and listen to techno and piss of motorists and pedestrians and also other cyclists :madmax:

also getting tanned and being super skinny and having a rad haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That reminds me, I really need to get around to popping a new spoke in my rear wheel. I miss annoying people.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

88h88 posted:

I'm curling in the power cage. :v:

how am I supposed to do my quarter squats now?>!?!?!?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You're not, fucko.

You can use this time to follow quartersquatgang on instagram though. Much butthurt.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hashtag selfie @ the gym

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

How the gently caress am I supposed to squat in one of those Smith machines with the slight backwards incline? Anything I do feels wrong.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

P-Mack posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to squat in one of those Smith machines with the slight backwards incline? Anything I do feels wrong.

You're not and you're going to hurt your back if you try. :(

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

P-Mack posted:

You can do something that's more like a leg press by putting your feet pretty far out in front of you but you'd be better off using an actual leg press machine.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I started rowing last summer and can say I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. A lot more technical than track and I get to be in a boat!

I'd say erging is some of the best machine excersise out there though some one should show you how before you hurt yourself.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Finaly started deadlifts after a pause due to back troubles... So far so good.
Started doings lots of negative reps lately at end of sets, love it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Rowing is fun but the problem is you need 7 other people and a boat to do it. Still it was a blast in high school.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

notZaar posted:

Rowing is fun but the problem is you need 7 other people and a boat to do it. Still it was a blast in high school.

Same. Erging is the goddamned worst though. You could tell it was 2k test day when people were huddled around trash cans vomiting.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

notZaar posted:

Mer I prefer smaller boats. 8's are great and all but I want to be moving towards a race goal. I figure I have at least one year to be competitive before I'm too old so I'm going all out.

Taking a single out is always a good day. Sculling is a great core work out.

Erg is Latin for torture, but I remember doing 1k intervals in cross country having the same effect.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Are the New year resolution crowds thinning out ?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Decebal posted:

Are the New year resolution crowds thinning out ?

They have been since about January 20th where I am. Back to blissful 7am sessions where I seem to be thinly person in the free weights area.

Also, if I'm committing a cardio, should I factor that into daily calories if I'm doing a lean bulk (-10% calories on rest/cardio days, +20% on lifting days), or just consider it a little fat burning during rest days?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Fcuking struggled today with 105kg Deadlifts what the hell??!?!?!? i think it's because I didn't eat and had a few days off.

Having to up the cardio to as I'm struggling to get through wrestling classes.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Gaz2k21 posted:

Fcuking struggled today with 105kg Deadlifts what the hell??!?!?!? i think it's because I didn't eat and had a few days off.

Having to up the cardio to as I'm struggling to get through wrestling classes.

I stuggled getting my deadlifts past 100kg, alot due to back issue but: Also poor cardio really hosed me hard. Slowly but steadyli climbing up the kilos now though.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I turned my garage into a gym. It makes it a lot easier to go to the gym, you just go home.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Acelerion posted:

I turned my garage into a gym. It makes it a lot easier to go to the gym, you just go home.

Yup, buying a cage is the best thing I've ever done.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Having a home gym is basically the only reason I ever feel like not renting an apartment.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

88h88 posted:

Yup, buying a cage is the best thing I've ever done.

Agreed.

Acelerion fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 1, 2016

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

88h88 posted:

I'm curling in the power cage. :v:

I have a photo of a well known elitefts contributor curling in the squat rack

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

B-Rock452 posted:

I have a photo of a well known elitefts contributor curling in the squat rack

So?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I curl the squat rack

Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."
I crossfart in the curl rack

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i am a squat rack

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

FogHelmut posted:

I curl the squat rack

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
hi i haven't lifted a weight in about 6 months but i'm about to start again! only i used to do starting strength and i had big stupid quads and was strong but i looked like an idiot. where should i look to find a workout plan that will make me look cool? the more i can do with free weights the better

edit: i just found this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756974 which looks up my alley because I just ran my first 8K event yesterday and generally enjoy running a lot. unless someone skims that and reports back that he has severe brain problems im gonna follow his advice

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 1, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I would also like to know how to build arms better because my quads and shoulders are basically the only muscles groups I have that developed nicely, my forearms still look like tapered tubes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

notZaar posted:

I would also like to know how to build arms better because my quads and shoulders are basically the only muscles groups I have that developed nicely, my forearms still look like tapered tubes.

Dumbbells, or become a baker and knead dough all day. Bakers are to be feared for their grip strength.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i climbed 4000 stairs today. was boring.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

notZaar posted:

my forearms still look like tapered tubes.

Dumbbell hammer curls, reverse-grip curls, forearm curls/extensions. You can also do some weird stuff like hang a plate from a dowel with a rope and roll it up like a pulley, or keep a bucket of sand around and plunge your hands into it after other grip exercises and try to squeeze the sand.

I have comically tiny hands and when I first got into lifting in college, my grip would burn out really quickly on deadlifts. I got a couple of 'Captains of Crush' grip-squeezy-thingies from a goon's recommendation and now I can crush coconuts single-handed. Well not really but between using those all the time and adding hammer and reverse curls to my back/bicep day, my forearms have gotten pretty big and my grip strength is immense.

Question: I mentioned before that I can't do deadlifts at home. Instead I've been doing good mornings before 5×5-8 barbell rows. Does this even make sense, or is there something else that I should do instead - some kind of clean, maybe? Should I be 5x5ing the good mornings as well or is this decidedly unsafe?

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

notZaar posted:

Can't go wrong with hammer curls bro. Also buy some CoC style grippers to monitor your progress, having a strong grip is sweet.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The knurled bars on the Captain of Crush looks like it's going to destroy my hands. It's a similar knurl to what's on the bars at my gym and those fucker HURT. I seriously can't do pullups sometimes after deadlifting with them.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Your hands should adapt pretty quickly if you're using them often, CoC grippers were some of the first exercise equipment I bought 8-9 years ago (my forearms were crazy thin so I targeted them from the get go, now they're what people notice most) and I had clammy baby hands. They soon calloused up. If you really do have lovely skin on your hands then you could try something like the ivanko super gripper or its knockoffs, which have different grips and is cheap for what it offers (or just modify the grips yourself).

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I highly recommend Gi jiu-jitsu for improving grip/arm strength.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahydk_zwpe8

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mister Speaker posted:

Postin' inna GBS thread about lifting when W&W is right there

I just got back into fitness (fit'niss dick in yo mouth) after a long hiatus. I'm 5'10", 28 years old and a paunchy 185. Five years ago my lifts were nothing special but I was a lean, muscular 180 and I want to be that again. I'm doing 5x5 big lifts (everything except deadlifts which I really miss but can't do them in my apartment; I do barbell rows instead) followed by isolation work generally in the 8-16 rep range. Working nights in a bar kitchen my diet is probably not as good as it could be. I am definitely getting stronger - turns out up until now I wasn't really warming up properly; now that I'm using a warmup calculator my big lifts have broken records in no time - but I feel like I could be cutting my gut out quicker. Should I stay the course with 5x5 supplemented by isolation lifts in the hypertrophy range, or is there something I should supplement my workouts with, like dumbbell complexes? I really want to go back to taking krav maga, that's the ticket but I've got to change my work schedule to accomodate night classes.

W&W is for encouragement, GBS is for laughing at the assholes taking up the squat racks for over an hour, one pair doing squats with ten minutes of "prep" in between, and the other "deadlifting" 480 lbs with wrist straps and his legs so wide apart that his legs had about three inches of motion and 90% of his set was him leaning way back and thrusting his dick over the bar.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ima putting this in my list of things to reeturn to

as this is where i belong with my swolebros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I'm not a swole-bro anymore. Between February and August last year I went from 225 to 190, my DL got up over 300, my squat to 250 and my bench to 225. Then I got hurt and got lazy and put on 12 pounds because I couldn't walk and I only just started up again two weeks ago. Now my DL is back up to 255, my squat to 205 and my bench is stalled at 165 :cry: For gently caress's sake, my row is 160. :wtf:

• Locked thread