Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Xoidanor posted:

Here's the thing, those were all serious dramas. This a POLICE PRODUCERAL where the eccentric genius is THE DEVIL. It's jump the shark, the show.

He shares buffoonery and group sex with Elementary's version of Sherlock but he's no eccentric genius. I keep waiting for him to drop some wisdom or just common sense derived from observing humanity from the beginning of time...but nope. He's continuously all "why are you doing this thing that isn't unusual at all?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pinky Artichoke posted:

He shares buffoonery and group sex with Elementary's version of Sherlock but he's no eccentric genius. I keep waiting for him to drop some wisdom or just common sense derived from observing humanity from the beginning of time...but nope. He's continuously all "why are you doing this thing that isn't unusual at all?"

My bad, when I say eccentric genius I mean that specific character archetype which has been re-used a billion times since what, numbers, house and the mentalist set the ball rolling? Police procedural oriented around a white guy with a talent/superpower, who is also a weirdo.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I love the comic, but I admit that the idea of the devil solving crime alone could make for a fun show and I was totally on board for the series when it was announced. Sadly, I have to say it's incredible boring. I am fine with the characters being cut outs, it's a procedural after all, but they play it way to save with the main character. Dude is way to nice for the Prince of Darkness and cares way to much for humanity. It would work so much better if he would actually be callous and cruel on occasion,an actual but he is really only a little eccentric. Making him actually evil would vastly improve the show

e X fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 24, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xoidanor posted:

My bad, when I say eccentric genius I mean that specific character archetype which has been re-used a billion times since what, numbers, house and the mentalist set the ball rolling? Police procedural oriented around a white guy with a talent/superpower, who is also a weirdo.

Don't forget Psych!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Don't forget Psych!

Psych was at least intentionally funny.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

e X posted:

I love the comic, but I admit that the idea of the devil solving crime alone could make for a fun show and I was totally on board for the series when it was announced. Sadly, I have to say it's incredible boring. I am fine with the characters being cut outs, it's a procedural after all, but they play it way to save with the main character. Dude is way to nice for the Prince of Darkness and cares way to much for humanity. It would work so much better if he would actually be callous and cruel on occasion,an actual but he is really only a little eccentric. Making him actually evil would vastly improve the show

Isn't that kinda the whole plot though? That he is humanizing, he is losing that aspect of himself and there are certain people who are Not Happy about it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Isn't that kinda the whole plot though? That he is humanizing, he is losing that aspect of himself and there are certain people who are Not Happy about it?

Yeah, but I think they would've preferred it if we started with Lucifer just exiting Hell and having to establish himself instead of already having the nightclub and such.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda surprised we aren't getting people going crazy since they showed Maz's demon face in the last episode.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

As a character arc, maybe, but he was plenty human in the pilot. Hell as run by Lucifer doesn't really appear to be all that terrible to me.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

e X posted:

Didn't Luci say in one episode he hated being evil and punishing people in hell since his father was forcing him to do it? Now he enjoys seeking justice for victims, but on his own terms so I can buy that he's not the evil son of a bitch people think he is.

I would love to see him go full Archangel on someone and show his true power. I also want people to refer to him as Luci. I can picture that bothering him and it'd be amusing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda surprised we aren't getting people going crazy since they showed Maz's demon face in the last episode.

I was more annoyed that apparently her job of protected Lou involved watching his cop friend sleep in a chair and doing nothing else.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I don't think he's supposed to be evil, being lord of hell is just his job. He was there because of god/angels/whatever until he went 'nope, screw this, I'm going to LA'

And yeah, even being a procedural they could be doing more stuff with the premise, it's still pretty bland (some funny moments though)

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Eh. Yeah. I mean, it wouldn't have taken much effort to actually make her look like her, but on the other hand Lucifer doesn't look like David Bowie so it's already lost.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Lucifer ran Hell in the first place because it was the furthest place from Primum Mobile and Yahweh - I trust Samael didn't immediately come up with the idea of his own Creation all those eons ago, or if he even could do that without permission like the letter Amenadiel delivered.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

GuyUpNorth posted:

Lucifer ran Hell in the first place because it was the furthest place from Primum Mobile and Yahweh - I trust Samael didn't immediately come up with the idea of his own Creation all those eons ago, or if he even could do that without permission like the letter Amenadiel delivered.

I haven't read the comics, I know shame on me. In them didn't it turn out Hell was a gift from God? Being the farthest place from him. Hell just kind of grew around him because of his hatred?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope that eventually when he asks some random person what they really desire that they give him a weird, heinous answer and completely catch him off guard, instead of just constantly like 'I wanna be da best!' or 'cheeseburger' all the time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Titan posted:

I haven't read the comics, I know shame on me. In them didn't it turn out Hell was a gift from God? Being the farthest place from him. Hell just kind of grew around him because of his hatred?

Pretty much Dude got exactly what he wanted, and all the consequences that came from it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope that eventually when he asks some random person what they really desire that they give him a weird, heinous answer and completely catch him off guard, instead of just constantly like 'I wanna be da best!' or 'cheeseburger' all the time.

Eh, most people's deepest darkest desires are pretty much normal stuff. Either power, sex, money, or food.

I cracked the gently caress up at the model's being a cheeseburger though. That's a girl who has her head on straight :colbert:

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Poetic Justice posted:

This show is probably one of of the best shows on Fox in a while.

RIP Lucifer.

computer parts posted:

Yeah, but I think they would've preferred it if we started with Lucifer just exiting Hell and having to establish himself instead of already having the nightclub and such.

Inferno Lost, if you will and it sounds like a nice concept.

AbbadonOfHell fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 25, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I cracked the gently caress up at the model's being a cheeseburger though. That's a girl who has her head on straight :colbert:

I really liked that line and I feel like the show has been oddly somber about these moments so far. Another good one was the paparazi in the crowd, his deepest desire was being respected for photographing. Poor guy hated himself just as much as his victims did him. :smith:

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Echophonic posted:

That's a pretty cool video, I like that they know they aren't going to be able to do a close following of the comics and are trying to do something relateable and not insanely ambitious.

The main character is great, they just need to commit to making this an Angel/Buffy type cheese show, build out the world and cast a little more and maybe give us a second character with a personality.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Titan posted:

Didn't Luci say in one episode he hated being evil and punishing people in hell since his father was forcing him to do it? Now he enjoys seeking justice for victims, but on his own terms so I can buy that he's not the evil son of a bitch people think he is.

Well yeah, that is my critic of the show, i think an evil, or at the very least amoral, Lucifer would make for a much better show.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I wish that instead of a hot young white woman who may have magic humanizing powers they'd paired him with an older lady who's seen enough of a world to just not take his crap. Although someone who actually has the ability to put her foot down would end the premise right quick.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Titan posted:

I would love to see him go full Archangel on someone and show his true power. I also want people to refer to him as Luci. I can picture that bothering him and it'd be amusing.

It's not that he's evil or hates punishing people he's just bored.

Lucifer is the comics is one of the standards for the bored of immortality in modern era.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I wish that instead of a hot young white woman who may have magic humanizing powers they'd paired him with an older lady who's seen enough of a world to just not take his crap. Although someone who actually has the ability to put her foot down would end the premise right quick.

Aside from slightly less sexual tension I don't really see the main difference. She already shuts him down as much as she's able to, and it's not her fault he's able to (eg) escape from a locked car.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

computer parts posted:

Aside from slightly less sexual tension I don't really see the main difference. She already shuts him down as much as she's able to, and it's not her fault he's able to (eg) escape from a locked car.

It would be interesting for a couple of reasons. For one, Decker doesn't have to make a choice to resist him, she's just not affected. Someone who is making a choice out of their life experience and/or personal ethical framework is inherently more interesting because there is actually an internal conflict there. For another, between her length of tenure and the Palmetto thing, she's just too insecure in her position and doesn't have a whole lot of leverage. He has zero respect for her and anything she asks or tells him to do, but she has no backup of any kind (even ignoring any devil powers of persuasion he might exert on her boss) so he's basically right. Someone who could pull the "whatever, my pension's already vested" card could force him to work for it a bit more. And also I just think that older jaded cop archetype would be an interesting contrast to Lucifer's enthusiasm.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That kind of change would require a deviation from the paint by numbers approach to crime drama the show employs. Spunky, ambitious lady-cop plus troubled, affable genius equals drama and sexual tension is the basic formula for this lovely sub-genre.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

e X posted:

Well yeah, that is my critic of the show, i think an evil, or at the very least amoral, Lucifer would make for a much better show.

I don't think that would work in the simple buddy cop format, they would have to do something like the Blacklist where there was a game beneath the game and Lucifer had an agenda.

Model Cop wouldn't tolerate him if he was being an evil jackass around her . I guess they could show him being a little darker while he wasn't being a consulting detective, maybe doing some kind of Dexter vigilante thing.

The humor and odd likability of Lucifer is what carries the show right now, I think it would need to be a different and more complex show to take advantage of a darker eviler Lucifer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, he WAS going to go all devily on that chick, but then the detective shot him in the knee.

He is evil, but he's not psychopathic evil. He's pretty pro torture, he's just now looking for it to be justified, plus he's gotta do it before they die, otherwise they are out of his reach.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This show would be vastly improved if Mazikeen (or whatever her name is) wasn't in it. It's bad enough that we have to put up with the phase where cop woman is complaining about having to put up with him constantly, having this other character being a wet blanket the whole time is just dragging it down. "Why aren't you taking things seriously, stop having fun, follow the rules." It might help if what she wanted wasn't so fundamentally opposed to the whole premise of the show, so we, the audience, could feel some sympathy for her motives. Or if there was some clear danger she was trying to protect him from. But she just comes across as anti-fun.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I really like this show and Lucifer sounds like Austin Powers sometimes. I'm really hoping he'll look into the camera at one point and say, "Oh, behave".

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
To be fair, that's pretty true to Mazikeen's character. Lucifer himself is just so different that they really don't match, but I suppose that's another standard dynamic of police procedurals with angry chief yelling at protagonist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't read the whole thread yet because I just started watching this. Like it so far.

I'm just started the third episode and I hope to god this ends up with Lucifer having to school a guy in a rap battle.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm enjoying the show. Its basically Castle but with magic, but I like Castle so thats pretty much fine with me. Its not a great use of the source material, but its still a fun show.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This has promise but I hope to hell that it moves away from being just another boring procedural cop show soon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

This has promise but I hope to hell that it moves away from being just another boring procedural cop show soon.

Oh to be so young and naive. :allears:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So,based on the preview from last week, what do you think is in the container? My best guess? His wings :angel:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

Oh to be so young and naive. :allears:

Limitless did it. But the king of csi doesn't have his name attached to that show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Limitless did it. But the king of csi doesn't have his name attached to that show.

It did? poo poo, I dropped that show like 4 episodes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xoidanor posted:

It did? poo poo, I dropped that show like 4 episodes in.

Limitless is amazing, you should start watching it again.

Lately they've been trying different schticks with each episode. There was one that was Ferris Beuller themed and it was :magical:

• Locked thread