Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also did a gimmick episode making fun of graphic crime shows by defusing everything with goofy replacement dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
"Hugged her with her own unicorn" needs to enter the vernacular, stat

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

It did? poo poo, I dropped that show like 4 episodes in.

It really is a much much better show than it has a right to be.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Of course he can sing. Of course he can.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It kind of seems like, for all his talk of being charming, Mazikeen and Amenadiel are much more skilled manipulators.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That dude can be really scary when he wants to be.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yup.

Also, odds that those dolls contain sinners' souls? (Judas Iscariot and etc.?)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh man. Lucifer and Angel-dude having to work together to get his wings back is going to be hilarious.

Astrofig posted:

Yup.

Seems like a distinct possibility. That or he just really likes old russian dolls for some reason. Both seem equally likely with ol' Luci.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think they're just meant to look valuable, since the real prize was hidden.

That scene with the wall punch was intense. God drat, Tom Eliis.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Echophonic posted:

I think they're just meant to look valuable, since the real prize was hidden.

Both he and the therapist sold that amazingly, I must say. Dude is an amazing pick for the role for both the light hearted and the serious parts. And she seemed to, if only for a moment, have to seriously consider that he is, in fact, who he says he is. Makes me wonder if she's going to start suspecting the angel given how violently Lucifer reacted to her taking his claims at face value.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was the first episode I can actually say I "liked," and that's probably because it was entirely about Lucifer. If they keep that up and move more away from the procedural part, that would be great.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, it was great to see the actor show off some range for more than a 2 second burst. Terrific scene.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 1, 2016

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

That was really great. This show should just be the Maze and Lucifer hour with their buddy the black angel guy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"Call him Samial until he freaks the gently caress out, it'll be hilarious" - Amenadiel

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a good episode. I hope this is an indication that they're getting away from the standard procedural format. I haven't read the comics and I'm not super familiar with old testament lore, did this version of Lucifer did the whole war on heaven thing? It seems like a kinda important point to leave out or never mention.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
That final scene was really good.

I hope they go into why Lucifer cut his wings off. Didn't Amenadiel show his wings in the first episode? If he can hide them just fine surely Lucifer can. Lucifer probably just did it as a 'gently caress YOU DAD" expression though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think he did, except they kinda glossed over it.

Basically, the way I took it was he was a rebel son, and took the banishment to hell as a punishment, but God meant it as a teachable job. Luci's ego won't let him move past his besmirchment.

Or, at least that's how Amenadiel looked at it.

Luci thinks it's all about him, Amenadiel thinks Father is infallible.

I kinda hope they didn't have him be the mastermind about the wing theft. It'd make sense though. He gets the wings, he sets up the theft, gets the doctor to throw him for a loop about redemption (which is going to be impossible without the wings), and sets him up for thinking of his inevitable return to Hell because there's no other hope for him.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
It's probably going to be a combo of Mazikeen and Amenadiel. Amenadiel put the biker up to stealing the wings. She knew where they were and wants to go back to Hell with him. So they launch a 2 prong attack on Lucifer. Amenadiel screwing with his mind and Mazi trying to get Decker out of the picture. She tried this episode, she just doesn't understand humans well enough yet. Whether they're actually coordinating together or Mazi told Amenadiel about the wings and he did the theft on his own remains to be seen.

The preview hinted that his wings can grant power, which might explain why Luci doesn't seem quite as powerful as you would expect a Fallen Angel and the literal Devil to be. Without his wings he isn't fully powered up. I hope they go this route that without his wings he just can't do as much he would normally be able to do, instead of having Lucifer just be blinded by his own ego. I guess I'm just hoping the wings aren't some one off thing they have to get back for reasons and actually play a very important role.

Titan fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 1, 2016

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Titan posted:

The preview hinted that his wings can grant power, which might explain why Luci doesn't seem quite as powerful as you would expect a Fallen Angel and the literal Devil to be. Without his wings he isn't fully powered up. I hope they go this route that without his wings he just can't do as much he would normally be able to do, instead of having Lucifer just be blinded by his own ego

I'm only down for this if it leads to a really stupid scene at the end of the season where he's gotta strap on the wings in order to rescue Decker/Maze/Trixie

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

I'm only down for this if it leads to a really stupid scene at the end of the season where he's gotta strap on the wings in order to rescue Decker/Maze/Trixie

Either way the next episode better have Luci making some joke about how Amenadiel is just jealous because Luci had prettier wings. In the pilot Amenadiel had wings more like a crow or a raven, then it shows Luci had the more traditional gorgeous white feather wings.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Titan posted:

Either way the next episode better have Luci making some joke about how Amenadiel is just jealous because Luci had prettier wings. In the pilot Amenadiel had wings more like a crow or a raven, then it shows Luci had the more traditional gorgeous white feather wings.

That....would skirt kind of close to a racial thing.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

That....would skirt kind of close to a racial thing.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even make that connection. Wonder if they realized it when they gave the black Angel crow wings, and the white Fallen Angel the more traditional white feather wings.

:aaaaa:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, to be fair, it's hard for black to glow and the dude's name DOES mean lightbringer.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Also we saw his wings in a dark nightclub, not in a room with metal walls and sterile lighting. Or am I forgetting an occasion when we saw his wings?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Yup.

I thought they were just a joke and a way for Lucifer to be smug about it. They're a decoy but also a clue that there's another section within the container.

Promo talk

I think the wings have power but they're more his way of getting back to heaven and reconciliation with God.

Part of him still wants to be Samial but without the wings, that choice isn't available for him even if he wanted to act on it.

It's totally Maze and Amenadiel who planned it though to remind him that he still cared about being the devil.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite things about this is that they didn't make Dan a 2-dimensional bad guy. In the pilot it seemed like "Detective Douche" was going to be pretty spot on, but actually he's a regular guy who seems like he's more or less doing his best.

edit:

Martout posted:

Also we saw his wings in a dark nightclub, not in a room with metal walls and sterile lighting. Or am I forgetting an occasion when we saw his wings?
We also saw them outside, when he appeared in the middle of the street. Even though it was kind of dark out then, I think it's pretty safe to say that Amenadiel's wings are black.

Lucifer's wings looked loving awesome at the end of this episode.

I'm not sure that I've ever paid attention to a mythology where Lucifer and Samael were the same being. I mean, I've seen Samael as Satan and Lucifer as Satan, but I don't think I've seen Samael as Lucifer. Probably because "Samael" is Hebrew, while "Lucifer" is obviously Latin. As far as I know, Amenadiel is made up for the show(and by this I mean comic)? I've never heard that name before, and google turns up nothing outside of the show/comic. I certainly don't have a problem with this, since I think that modern stories co-opting Judeo-Christian mythology are best when they put their own twist on things. See also He Never Died, one of my favorite films from last year.

Snak fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 1, 2016

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Episode was really good. Having the episode focus more on Lucifer was what the show should be. This is the most 'procedural' it should get while pushing some main story along.

The Russian dolls were just perfect. And his wings look pretty badass.

The final scene with doctor was amazing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

That was a good episode. I hope this is an indication that they're getting away from the standard procedural format. I haven't read the comics and I'm not super familiar with old testament lore, did this version of Lucifer did the whole war on heaven thing? It seems like a kinda important point to leave out or never mention.

The comic version had Lucifer's rebellion. These aren't really spoilers for the show probably, and are only the premise for the comic, so I won't black anything out, but don't read if you want to go into the comic completely blind.

- God is basically omnipotent, and creates Lucifer and Michael to be together as powerful as him (or close), but not apart. Lucifer can basically shape energy/matter to anything, but can't create it on his own, and Michael can make energy/matter.

- Lucifer hates the idea of fate and predestination and decides to rebel against heaven. Michael/angels win, and God tosses Lucifer to the farthest possible place from him, in order to give Lucifer what he wanted in the first place. Hell grows around Lucifer there. Lucifer took it as a punishment, while it was actually a gift (and part of God's plan). The show kind of mirrored/mentioned some of that in this episode.

- At one time, Lucifer led hell against heaven and lost.

- Lucifer gets bored in hell (prompted by Dream/Sandman, after being tricked by him), gives it to other entities who are more generically Satan-like to rule over, and opens a piano bar in L.A.

- Outside stuff keeps messing with Lucifer, bringing him back into universal stuff; he basically ends up starting an extremely long-con in order to not be bound by fate/God anymore, once and for all.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zebulon posted:

Both he and the therapist sold that amazingly, I must say. Dude is an amazing pick for the role for both the light hearted and the serious parts. And she seemed to, if only for a moment, have to seriously consider that he is, in fact, who he says he is. Makes me wonder if she's going to start suspecting the angel given how violently Lucifer reacted to her taking his claims at face value.

A question though, since I forgot to check as I was watching the episode: Did he bleed when punching the wall? Or hurt in any way? Because if he didn't, it'd prove he can only be hurt by the detective?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, I'm too lazy to go back and check, but despite all evidence to contrary, doesn't Dan have a line indicating that he's not Trixie's bio-dad?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Darko posted:

The comic version had Lucifer's rebellion. These aren't really spoilers for the show probably, and are only the premise for the comic, so I won't black anything out, but don't read if you want to go into the comic completely blind.
How does it deal with non-Abrahamic religions? By carefully evading the topic?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It really doesn't dwell on them, unless they're relevant to plot like House of Windowless Rooms. It collected trinkets to keep going after Shinto started falling out with stuff like the famous crucifixion cross sans Jesus, communist sickle and hammer, wedding gown of Lord Rama... and they picked up his wings too, which is the reason for Lucifer's visit there.

If those black bars are state of things, I doubt the above arc shows up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Titan posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even make that connection. Wonder if they realized it when they gave the black Angel crow wings, and the white Fallen Angel the more traditional white feather wings.

:aaaaa:

Amenadiel seems like a different kind of angel. More of a messenger and enforcer, so it makes sense he'd have a different kind of wings. I doubt Lucifer's big flashy wings are sharp enough to justify putting to someone's throat.

Oh maybe black is just more his style. He wears a decent amount of it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

evilmiera posted:

A question though, since I forgot to check as I was watching the episode: Did he bleed when punching the wall? Or hurt in any way? Because if he didn't, it'd prove he can only be hurt by the detective?

He did not bleed when punching the stone wall.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

meristem posted:

How does it deal with non-Abrahamic religions? By carefully evading the topic?

Considering the comic writer basically created a whole mixed mythology, the idea of a single true religion is both confirmed, denied, partially elaborated on and ignored all at once. Think Planescape, where every single contradictory religion is true and real, though levels of power vary with belief. For a while, giant cats rule the Earth and always have, until humans dream/believe this is not true hard enough.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Titan posted:

I hope they go into why Lucifer cut his wings off.

I kind of got the impression that he didn't do it himself----that it was more like they were forcibly removed as part of his punishment (hence, presumably, those nasty scars.) I do hope we get to see him with them on at least once though, if only for Chloe's 'oh loving poo poo he may be an actual angel what the christing shitfuck!111' expression.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
He specifically said he had his sex demon cut them off when he left hell, which seems odd since losing wings is typically associated with the fall of an angel, and that means he was in hell for eons with this shiny, sexy things on his back. I'd like to see him with his feathery glowing white wings and scary demon face together. Maybe they look like leather scary wings when the rest of him looks like a demon though.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
In the comics, (well, in Sandman - Lucifer itself starts after Dream cuts his wings off) he did have bat wings in Hell. At some point his actual feathery angelic wings had ended up elsewhere and I don't exactly remember how that all worked. Been a while since I've read 'em.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Echophonic posted:

Amenadiel seems like a different kind of angel. More of a messenger and enforcer, so it makes sense he'd have a different kind of wings. I doubt Lucifer's big flashy wings are sharp enough to justify putting to someone's throat.

Oh maybe black is just more his style. He wears a decent amount of it.

I could buy this if they ever said that Luci was an Archangel or really any one of the other familiar higher Angels (Seraph or Seraphim) and Amenadiel is just a common Angel.

Since Luci used to be Gods favorite son, it would make sense that he has the prettiest wings ever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
That was a legit good episode and not just trashy good. Pretty excited if it can maintain this level. And I don't mind the procedural elements too much as long as there is some good overarching storyline happening in the background (and taking center stage every few episodes). iZombie is a great example of how you can have both.

• Locked thread