Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

So basically what CCP has been wanting to do for the last 10 years but not actually managed because it turns out that dynamically splitting and merging grids, and moving the simulations of them around in the server cluster without creating very noticeable and potentially game-breaking hard stops in the gameplay during the switch-over, is really loving hard.

And say what you want about CCP's ability to create sensible server code, but they've still been at it since the turn of the century and they've actually created some pretty ingenious solutions, both in hardware and in software to deal with their problems.

Yea, but Chris starts coding at MIDNIGHT, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't know about the rest of you fine folk, but I'm getting the impression this game might not live up to its expectations.

Well it won't as long as you have that kind of attitude, commando :colbert:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

maybe I'm being dumb but why are all the animations so important for an FPS? Unless he means you get to watch other people being Mark Hamill as they duck into cover?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TBH you guys I had doubts that they could get crosshairs working in game and it looks like they might have jumped that hurdle so to maybe cut back on the snark a bit landing gears are looking pretty possible.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Catching-up post… and to celebrate, let's make it all effort-posting.

I think that the trick is that, for almost any type of what we consider an “energy weapon” (particle beam, plasma, even most types of directed radiation beams) it makes some intuitive sense that they have recoil since they are, in fact, throwing matter in one direction through some means, which means you get a regular recoil. It's lasers that trip people up due to photons having no (rest) mass. The trick is, of course, that even without rest mass, they still impart momentum of p = E/c = h/λ and that as always, this momentum has to be preserved by recoiling in the other direction.

But that's where the scales of comparison get really wonky. If you're looking to get the same kind of momentum that you'd get from a 5.56mm bullet, you need something on the order of E=1.5GJ (or λ=1.3×10⁻³⁴, i.e. a wave length of less than 10 Planck lengths). Of course, such a weapon wouldn't really do damage through the pitiful impact, but through pumping all that energy into a the target's tissue in order to ruin their day. At 1.5GJ, you're likely to just send the poor soul back in time instead… :eng101:

…then again, you'll probably not use a single photon, which will scale things back a bit.

There's also the other (almost exact opposite) way you could go: make history repeat itself much like it does in other sci-fi, and borrow from some interesting era. Lynch's Dune took a varied approach depending on culture — it was more regency or Edwardian era, depending on the house, with some proper space rubber for the Harkonnen and the guild. DX:HR suggested we'd have neo-renaissance clothing in 2030. There's plenty of fun past styles to crib from that would make things different, yet interesting and believable without going much over-board. SC is set in space-Rome, so why not take the clothing cues from Rome as well? From there, it's just a matter how you want to represent each social stratum in the grimdark futuristic setting.

E.g. the higher orders wear hugely impractical (but impressive) space togas that require an increasingly large entourage to keep running and not snag on anything — the size of the entourage and the complexity of the toga is a direct signal of your status and wealth. At the other end of the spectrum, the gutter trash will be lucky if they even have what's considered actual clothes — it's more a matter of being wrapped in supermarket-branded food packaging than anything, and hoping it won't biodegrade at a most embarrassing and inopportune moment. Between the two, the jumps in wealth and strata are so massive that what we'd see very little of what we'd consider “good clothing” — that segment is almost entirely skipped. The regular joe would be delivered his daily work suit in the 3d-printing slot that delivers anything else, and he certainly does not have the credits to upgrade to, you know, a shirt and pants. So it's an ugly, one-size-fits-all, branded coverall for him, and it has to be returned to the recycling system at the end of the day or he'll have a demerit in the system that means he'll have to downgrade his lunch from gruel to slop as punishment. Too many demerits and the printing slot will be suspended.

The only people who'd actually have something that resembles what we have today is the aforementioned entourage: they have to look like they're a step up (or five) from regular plebs, but you obviously can't dress them in space togas (they lack the social standing, and it would defeat the purpose anyway).

So basically what CCP has been wanting to do for the last 10 years but not actually managed because it turns out that dynamically splitting and merging grids, and moving the simulations of them around in the server cluster without creating very noticeable and potentially game-breaking hard stops in the gameplay during the switch-over, is really loving hard.

And say what you want about CCP's ability to create sensible server code, but they've still been at it since the turn of the century and they've actually created some pretty ingenious solutions, both in hardware and in software to deal with their problems.

About your rome clothing idea how about approach it with more subtlety and just have neo-fascist clothing, not like Nazi Uniforms, but everyone wears very formal and very uniform clothing almost as if the civilian and military have been merged. Kind of like that Ralph Fiennes Coriolanus movie.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

TBH you guys I had doubts that they could get crosshairs working in game and it looks like they might have jumped that hurdle so to maybe cut back on the snark a bit landing gears are looking pretty possible.
Yeah, if anything they've over delivered on the crosshairs!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wait, so they have a system that automatically deploys landing gear, that is hooked up to play the animation to change ships into their alternate flight mode, but they won't let you press a button to change into that alternate flight mode while flying? What the gently caress?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Phi230 posted:

About your rome clothing idea how about approach it with more subtlety and just have neo-fascist clothing, not like Nazi Uniforms, but everyone wears very formal and very uniform clothing almost as if the civilian and military have been merged. Kind of like that Ralph Fiennes Coriolanus movie.

Mainly because it's been done and because why be subtle? :haw:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Mainly because it's been done and because why be subtle? :haw:

Your idea is real cool though. Its like a fascist hunger games upper class.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wait, so they have a system that automatically deploys landing gear, that is hooked up to play the animation to change ships into their alternate flight mode, but they won't let you press a button to change into that alternate flight mode while flying? What the gently caress?

Pretty much. And the animation and mode change every time your altitude changes even slightly, so the stupid cockpit voice just screams "gear up, gear down, gear up" at you over and over again.

You can't disable it and you can't change the keybinds, so it will always gently caress up your flying every time, without fail.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D1E posted:

Maybe he's legitimately mentally challenged?

I'll feel kind of bad if we find out he has Down's Syndrome or something and we have been making fun of him all this time...

Let me preface by saying I don't defend him.

I just think he is so drat disconnected with poo poo/the game (the part people care about) and he is flying around to studios to complete his vision. He is ultimately blind on how operations are run.

Perhaps the last directive was "raise some money" or some other nonsense. When that is shouted from the heavens you leap.

Guess what I'm saying is, you'd be surprised the level of crap that takes place in that level just below him. He probably just jets off insulated from all the insults. Gets his info filtered. Meanwhile, the others in C level positions want to protect the honeypot.

This is where the malfeasance comes from. Because those folks don't want the funding train to end.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

smellmycheese posted:

maybe I'm being dumb but why are all the animations so important for an FPS? Unless he means you get to watch other people being Mark Hamill as they duck into cover?

I think the animations are for the 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes absolutely nobody wants, with the possible exception of Captain B'tak as the cutscenes will provide a welcome respite from the many sources of grief in the 'verse, both real and imagined.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

is the bird in your av procedural? it's pretty fidelitous

Yes, procedurally generated avs promote emergent high fidelity browsing and are a must imo.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

star citizen : emergent grief

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Your idea is real cool though. Its like a fascist hunger games upper class.

Pretty much, although I stole the idea from a fantasy P&P RPG, where instead of making it highly technological, the clothing of royalty would be of such fine and rare silk that it was next to impossible to move in it without ripping holes in it. Any tear would cost a fortune to fix or replace, creating a neat second stratification in the court: the refined and sensible ones, who'd have servants cater to everything; and the decadent and pointlessly rich, who'd take gleeful pleasure in not being careful because they could afford it.

Anyway, the point is that it's not all that hard to find an idea for clothing that almost in and of itself creates a story of the society around it. You can then flip that around and suggest that it's a reflection of society, and thus cover the tracks of your creative process. :haw:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 1, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

VaultMarine and his Insanely Cool Parkour Adventure, coming to 2.3 in 2 weeks :frogc00l:
So they're building locations in the game with that style of gameplay in mind and already know how to inform the player what objects can be interacted with in that manner?

lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Now that redditors can't read us I'm going to come out and say it, Star Citizen is starting to look pretty awesome and if nothing happens we are going to end up with egg on our faces.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

i look forward to parkouring up the procedural mountain a la skyrim

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i still have "burning" questions about this

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Sisyphus posted:

i look forward to parkouring up the procedural mountain a la skyrim

Grabby hands are back baby!

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

i still have "burning" questions about this

:drat:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Loiosh I'm glad your back but I'm going to take issue with you B'Taking the gently caress out about that laser rifle. No man portable laser weapon is going to have the same recoil as a loving assault rifle. It doesn't matter how many :bravo2: you post and quantum mechanics videos you embed. It's dumb and makes you look like the guys on RSI that don't understand how rocket propulsion works.

Here is a laser cutting steel plate. Observe how it isn't MOUNTED ON A BATTLESHIP.

http://youtu.be/wGcJE8YJl-M

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Pretty much. And the animation and mode change every time your altitude changes even slightly, so the stupid cockpit voice just screams "gear up, gear down, gear up" at you over and over again.

You can't disable it and you can't change the keybinds, so it will always gently caress up your flying every time, without fail.

:psyboom:

So is this caused by them going to consoles? There aren't enough buttons on a controller for what you'd normally just bind to G or whatever? Because it really just looks like a huge unforced error with a really simple solution.

Like even if it had no mechanical effect, just having a toggle for the animation with promises of features would placate the whales.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you think about it Star Citizen is really too big to fail.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

How long until CIG says that the game is going to be coming out shortly after release.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ash1138 posted:

So they're building locations in the game with that style of gameplay in mind and already know how to inform the player what objects can be interacted with in that manner?

I expect Parkour Citizen will go the same way as Juke Marine did. Months ago Croberts was babbling endlessly about the juke system and how it had unique animations for every possible combination of directions and each of three different movement speeds, and how it would make every player action look incredibly fluid and all that, and then he just dropped the whole thing when he lost interest in it and never mentioned it again.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I'm gonna spend most of my time in the 'universe fishing in procedural streams and lakes, and whittling jpegs on my front porch

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's just a really fatuous cover for the fact that neither of those ships are flyable yet and wont have their alternate flight mode if they ever make it that far. This is just step one of Operation: Ratchet Back Expectations on Alternate Flight Modes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

A really engaging flight sim.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ash1138 posted:

This is probably news to a few CIG level designers.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

TTerrible posted:

Here is a laser cutting steel plate. Observe how it isn't MOUNTED ON A BATTLESHIP.

Not a great example. Here's a 5-axis water jet CNC, which is also not MOUNTED ON A BATTLESHIP despite using accelerated mass to cut stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCsoC3i7JYc

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

EightAce: please give us the inside scoop on PARKOUR MARINE.

Also, I'm sorry I made fun of your brother and sister-in-law earlier.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

We've already captured the parkour animations, all of them. Don't worry about it or think twice.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Loiosh I'm glad your back but I'm going to take issue with you B'Taking the gently caress out about that laser rifle. No man portable laser weapon is going to have the same recoil as a loving assault rifle. It doesn't matter how many :bravo2: you post and quantum mechanics videos you embed. It's dumb and makes you look like the guys on RSI that don't understand how rocket propulsion works.

…and in particular, how it's “only” in the hundred Watt range, not billions. Their website specs page list a λ=1.064µm — just into infrared. So the photon momentum is trivial to calculate: it's 6.22×10-28 Ns (0.000622 yoctonewton-seconds), compared to maybe 5Ns for 5.56mm.

If every last bit of wattage goes into creating cutting photons (it doesn't), we're looking at about 2mN of “thrust” being delivered in total over one second.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So is this caused by them going to consoles? There aren't enough buttons on a controller for what you'd normally just bind to G or whatever? Because it really just looks like a huge unforced error with a really simple solution.

Like even if it had no mechanical effect, just having a toggle for the animation with promises of features would placate the whales.

No, it's caused by their being incompetent. E:D solves the problem by having (gasp!) button combinations if you fly with a controller. Maybe Chris is stuck in the 90s, and thinks that console = SNES controller = 8 buttons = only 8 functions… (never mind that the controller wasn't limited like that).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 1, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nope, it's been this way since forever. It's just bad design, through and through. The problem is they felt the need to try and automate a bunch of stuff for you to make your ship feel smart (as opposed to Elite's "put your gear down and then strafe down onto the pad" solution which works perfectly) and the end result is that regular flying is loving ruined, any kind of close manuevering is loving ruined, you can never tell where you're going to actually land or if your ship is just going to drift away when you get out, AND there's like three different kinds of assisted landing mode to help you out - all of which are completely loving unusable unless you've played their tutorial and learned how to use them. That tutorial is broken, by the way. So have fun with your brand new super-futuristic pile of poo poo.

All that poo poo that was in that video I made where the computer went apeshit while I was landing? None of that was done on purpose by me. That was just the game having the same loving aneurysm it does any time you fly next to poo poo.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wise Learned Man posted:

I expect Parkour Citizen will go the same way as Juke Marine did. Months ago Croberts was babbling endlessly about the juke system and how it had unique animations for every possible combination of directions and each of three different movement speeds, and how it would make every player action look incredibly fluid and all that, and then he just dropped the whole thing when he lost interest in it and never mentioned it again.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is probably news to a few CIG level designers.
It's a bafflingly complex proposition that would be a tall order for an experienced studio making a standalone FPS. It sounds to me like he wants that stuff to be in the PU, which is lunacy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If I sound mad it's because that's the only way I know how to react when my mind is this thoroughly boggled.

I wish I understood games development, then life would be easier.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
LANDING SUCCFSFL

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

Just like that

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

INN - The musical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

redwalrus posted:

lol its real, someone submitted a question asking if the game would have birds, and he did that whole look where hes thinking about it for a second before stating that yes, yes the game now has birds :lol:

dumb piece of poo poo cant help himself.

he has to say yes to everything

i hope those birds will be fidelitous

• Locked thread