Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

eggsovereasy posted:

How many sheets of 4x5 can I expect to be able to process from one box of powdered C-41 chemistry?

From memory you can treat an 8x10 as roughly a roll of 35mm or 120, so 4x5's would be 4 times the number of expected rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
apparently there are no #00 lensboards with the Wista coat of arms on them :argh:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Continuing with my Pictoralist-inspired shooting.

The Picture Wall by Jason, on Flickr

EDIT:
Make that two shots.
The Scarf by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 28, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Teck Whye by alkanphel, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Coshey-Nicholson by Alex, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Usually not a big fan of double exposure gimmickry, but this is really neat!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Putrid Grin posted:

Usually not a big fan of double exposure gimmickry, but this is really neat!

you'd hate henry peach robinson

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

you'd hate henry peach robinson

I thought Robinson stitched his negatives in the printing phase?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

McMadCow posted:

I thought Robinson stitched his negatives in the printing phase?

Similar concept, if you regard it as "gimmickry"

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
I'm working towards a gimmickry-based portfolio because it's actually kind of fun -- aside from the large amounts of trial-and-error type frustration.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I got my first rolls of 120 developed and scanned! I'm reasonably pleased with how they came out, I got some decent shots and a bunch of utter failures.

Good:

Mural and Graffitti by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Andriivskii Spusk by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Andriivskii Mural by Iain Compton, on Flickr

The ones I took at night with a huge range of light levels in the frame were mostly disasters but I'm reasonably sure that my failure to meter the light properly is mostly to blame for that. I did get some weird artifacts though which I'd like some advice on as I'm a complete novice with film cameras.

I'll link rather than embed them. http://imgur.com/a/taUdN

So the first is obviously overexposed. The streaky effect in the sky, is that the banding effect I've been warned about with high shutter speeds (shooting with a Kiev 88)? What is causing the fogging effect down the left hand side?Is that poor film handling or an artifact of the exposure?

The second has a big light streak coming in from off camera, which I assume is stray light from a nearby lamp-post just out of frame. I've never had that with my DSLR, is it just that I should have used a hood or is it indicative of something else that I should have avoided? Again, the fogging along the bottom edge and left corner, is that because I have a light leak in my camera or because the film wasn't handled properly outside the magazine?

Finally the last one. Again overexposed but I'm at a bit of a loss to explain the geometric overexposure fogging in the centre of the frame. What is that all about? Also the vertical line near the right hand edge, is that a development artifact or an issue with the film itself? It's present on the negative, not just the print or scan.

Thanks for any guidance.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 3, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Those look more like intermittent camera failures but I could be wrong.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Looks like light leaks. This looks like the same problem: http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/kiev-88-light-leaks-stains-or-problems-with-the-shutter.93558/
You probably need to replace the seals around the darkslide slot.

ape fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 3, 2016

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Spirit of India by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Developed a stack of 4x5s yesterday and almost all of them have streaks where the Mod54 ridges held them in place. This is after only using the outermost slots and agitating as gently as possible to avoid this. Pretty sure I'll shelve my Mod54 and wait till I get the new 4x5 tanks that were on Kickstarter a little while back before I do any more non-stand developing.

(Though, looking at it again, I'm less sure that's the problem -- they're in the right spot for the ridges, but the streaks look much longer than I'd expect. Thoughts? Am I blaming the wrong tool? Am I the monster?)

rohan fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 5, 2016

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Hey alkanphel, really enjoying your flickr 4x5 stuff. We should shoot together sometime! Considering we are from the same country.

slide1 by Andrew Yuen, on Flickr

thedoorstopper fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 5, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

evilspoon21 posted:

Hey alkanphel, really enjoying your flickr 4x5 stuff. We should shoot together sometime! Considering we are from the same country.

Sure, one of these days maybe!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
So bag bellows. I'm shooting on a wista 45n and I'm having a hell of a time finding any specific bag bellows for it (aside from $600 ones brand new on bh) or information on whether it's even a proprietary thing.

Are bag bellows something that is roughly interchangeable or no? Is there a brand I should be looking at that would work with my wista?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shellman posted:

So bag bellows. I'm shooting on a wista 45n and I'm having a hell of a time finding any specific bag bellows for it (aside from $600 ones brand new on bh) or information on whether it's even a proprietary thing.

Are bag bellows something that is roughly interchangeable or no? Is there a brand I should be looking at that would work with my wista?

Bellows are made for specific cameras/systems, though there are people that make custom bellows for whatever system. What's your shortest lens? Are you having trouble using movements with it? If not, don't bother with a bag bellows. If you are, consider a recessed lensboard instead, which is much easier to get.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

Bellows are made for specific cameras/systems, though there are people that make custom bellows for whatever system. What's your shortest lens? Are you having trouble using movements with it? If not, don't bother with a bag bellows. If you are, consider a recessed lensboard instead, which is much easier to get.

Right now it's a 90mm lens. I have some movements (more than I anticipated, I can manage tilt, shift, and rise), but the rear element is large enough (80mm) that it scrapes against the bellows when I put it on. I'm mostly worried that it'll eventually damage the bellows, but maybe I'm just being overly worried.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I've been offered a good deal on a 13x18 field camera. It's a wooden FKD and comes with accessories including spare film holders and a matching tripod. It's cheap enough that I could live with it just being an ornament but it would be rad if I could actually shoot with it. I have some large format experience from my days using rail cameras when I worked for a hobby magazine but that was a long time ago and someone else took care of the stuff like sourcing and developing film.

From a quick Google session it appears that 13x18 film isn't super common and it's not interchangeable with the more common 5x7 sheets.

I've given the camera a check over and it's in great condition, everything sits right and all the adjustments work at both ends. I'm going to check it out more thoroughly at the weekend with a torch to check the bellows. What else should I bear in mind with this thing? I live in Ukraine so sourcing supplies from abroad can be unreliable. None of the camera stores I know of stock 13x18 film but it's possible that they can order it for me I guess.

Edit: it looks like this.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 8, 2016

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Apparently 5x7" holders and 13x18cm holders have the same external dimensions. So long as it doesn't have some wacky back on it, you should be able to get 5x7" holders and film and just use those materials.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Macodirect have a few films that'll fit:
https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/black-und-white-films/?p=1&o=1&n=36&f=228

And Foma always have odd sizes in stock for reasonable prices:
http://www.fomafoto.com/index.php/vm/b-w-film/sheet-films/fomapan-100asa-sheetfilm-13x18cm-detail

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And if all else fails, Ilford also has their yearly ULF/unusual formats run. I think they usually open orders some time in April?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I found some film from last summer I hadn't processed :toot:

Also found out one of my film holders has a light leak :argh:

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I just got a scanner this week after shooting with a p67 for over a year. I have a healthy backlog to work though / learn on. Here's the first of many (lovely) photos.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is right up my alley. Love it.

Edit: although maybe dial back the blue a bit.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Finally got every element of my LF setup together and assembled. If I mount it reversed, the purple Wista folds up perfectly with the Super Angulon installed. :getin:

Shellman posted:

I have a wista 45D and would like a bag bellows to deal with my 90mm lens. It looks like a fight to the death is in order should one come up on ebay

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

things to ignore: how bad my white balance is

things to pay attention to: how fuckin' baller this camera is

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 11, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

I have a wista 45D and would like a bag bellows to deal with my 90mm lens. It looks like a fight to the death is in order should one come up on ebay

Obviously this will never be a problem since you'll be looking for a purple or gold bag bellows. That IS a dope looking camera.

And I'm probably overly worried about damaging the bellows.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

elgarbo posted:

This is right up my alley. Love it.

Edit: although maybe dial back the blue a bit.

Thanks.

The color correction on has a learning curve for me. I know the tools, but it is different from my usual workflow and well, change is hard.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:eyepop: those colors

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

ant mouth posted:

Thanks.

The color correction on has a learning curve for me. I know the tools, but it is different from my usual workflow and well, change is hard.

someone posted a great photoshop action in the Film thread a couple weeks ago. try it, it's been doing good for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have my grandfather's 1905 Korona Petit, I posted about it a year ago or so in the thread when I was identifying it. I'd like to replace the torn bellows on it and actually shoot with it/see how the optics are. I'm not expecting anything great but it would be cool to use the camera my grandfather shot with 50 years before I was born.

Where can I find replacement bellows? Is it better to find a similar dimension bellows in another camera and scavenge it? Thanks guys.

e:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 12, 2016

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
If it's not too badly torn you can try bostick and Sullivan's bellows patch kit.

Alternatively you can try eccameraonline2008(sp?) on eBay

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
If patching the bellows isn't viable, for $40 you can get a cheap but presumably functional custom bellows off eBay. For quite a bit more you could talk to Custom Bellows in the UK, or Turner Bellows, who have a pretty great reputation and will even handle the installation for you if you're not handy.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

things to ignore: how bad my white balance is

things to pay attention to: how fuckin' baller this camera is

That is a baller thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Trying to use my Kiev88 like a DSLR hasn't been a huge success but it is fun to break it out at a dance event to watch all the guys with 5D3s try to work out what the gently caress it is.

untitled-26.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-8.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

• Locked thread