Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao it's 2016 which one of you losers still willingly listen to the radio I mean really

I mean I did in the 90s because there wasn't any other alternative and even then it sucked. Even in a population dense area your options are always oldies, a rock station, and that rock station with the zany host(s). Even then I knew it sucked and the commercials were obnoxious and way too frequent

Or I guess you guys love the sick pranks they pull on people's spouses in the AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
This is Austin, every radio station has zany morning hosts. I know because when I leave in the morning from my night shift, I gotta hear them chatter about poo poo while I drive home being half asleep at the wheel.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

I would imagine it's similar to the CBC where they have very good stuff and then stuff way off in white upper middle class liberal fantasy land.

I've got about four reliable stations, two are CBC, some listener supported station and then campus radio which is crazy hit or miss.

Rex Murphy had his own radio show for like 25 years here in Canada, and he leaned more fairly Right/ Conservative

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Rex Murphy had his own radio show for like 25 years here in Canada, and he leaned more fairly Right/ Conservative

I actually like their informative and news programming. My issue more specifically is with programs like the debaters, the vinyl cafe, DNTO, and whatever that God awful Randy Bachmann program is called where he rattles of about lovely music industry stories while strumming a guitar. I haven't listened to Q since giomeshi got canned but it was atrocious under him as well.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Amazon.ca took ages to catch up to the US version. Prices were wildly different, more editions and more books, and more categories of other stuff when Amazon started branching out. When the Loonie was strong it was usually cheaper to pay for shipping from the states rather than wait.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So...Tidal. It's about 18 months old and it's already been hit with its first Class Action lawsuit. Apparently they were fudging data to screw artists out of 30% to 40% of the royalties they were owed.

Good job :bravo:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like NPr on the radio. But their circling too with quarterly beg weeks.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its important to listen to radio in order to keep up w what's hot

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Some of the top 40 poo poo is actually nice to hear :mad:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Yeah, and you can hear it at an all-too-high volume in every store you go into now.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Wicker Man posted:

It does get pretty old listening to another Flo commercial when jumping between stations that are all doing ads at the same time.

I was holding out hope for Stephanie Courtney to do a Playboy pictorial so that suffering through 7 years of the same loving commercial repeated ad nauseam wouldn't seem so bad in retrospect; breasts are anodyne for the soul.

Now it will never happen. What the heck?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Crazy Ted posted:

So...Tidal. It's about 18 months old and it's already been hit with its first Class Action lawsuit. Apparently they were fudging data to screw artists out of 30% to 40% of the royalties they were owed.

Good job :bravo:

:lol: Isn't Tidal the one that specifically made the point that they pay the highest royalties to artists?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

XYZ posted:

There's this thing called Favor that pissed off a couple of local Toronto restaurants by offering their menus without permission. They deliver poo poo like McDonald's too :lol: And there's also Hurrier, which recently rebranded as foodora for some reason.:laffo: Considering Just Eat just absorbed OrderIt I imagine most of these delivery services are not long for this world.

I've been calling restaurants to place orders and having taxi drivers pick up the food for me. If you are a cool dude you could get beer and cigarettes. Heck a local pizza shop used to deliver me beer at 3AM here in good ole Ontario as long as everybody was cool about it.

The internet ruins everything.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

reallivedinosaur posted:

I've been calling restaurants to place orders and having taxi drivers pick up the food for me. If you are a cool dude you could get beer and cigarettes. Heck a local pizza shop used to deliver me beer at 3AM here in good ole Ontario as long as everybody was cool about it.

The internet ruins everything.

Do you have to show your moms Id?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Darth123123 posted:

Do you have to show your moms Id?

We show your moms IUD.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

reallivedinosaur posted:

We show your moms IUD.

I'll set em up

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Not quite to the end of this thread yet but this jumped out at me.

etalian posted:

HTC is pretty hosed at this point too

Since HTC just sold 15 thousand sets of their new VR headset in 10 minutes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Abongination posted:

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeco/201602030026.aspx

quote:

Taiwan-based smartphone brand HTC Corp. (宏達電) on Wednesday reported its worst annual results since 2002 when it was listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.

At an investor conference, HTC said its annual consolidated sales fell 35.24 percent in 2015 to NT$121.68 billion, while it registered a loss per share of NT$18.78 due to escalating global competition.

In the fourth quarter of 2015, HTC posted a worse-than-expected loss per share of NT$4.1 and a gross margin of 13.9 percent, the lowest quarterly data in its history and its third consecutive quarterly loss.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lmao it's 2016 which one of you losers still willingly listen to the radio I mean really

I mean I did in the 90s because there wasn't any other alternative and even then it sucked. Even in a population dense area your options are always oldies, a rock station, and that rock station with the zany host(s). Even then I knew it sucked and the commercials were obnoxious and way too frequent

Or I guess you guys love the sick pranks they pull on people's spouses in the AM

Your "dense population area" has significantly worse selection than south central Pennsylvania. Congratulations on living in Duluth, I guess.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I sometimes get rides from people when I can't get somewhere by bus, they usually have sirius radio or whatever other streaming services are available in their car and they're constantly switching between stations because 'I don't like this song'

Maybe idgi but why not just have your own custom playlist of poo poo you actually like on a USB stick or on your phone with an aux/USB cord or something??? Why are they paying for a service if they don't even like it??

Also a tire on my dad's car blew out and he went to sears to get new ones and a realignment or whatever. I think nostalgic baby boomers are the only thing keeping it around; my parents get most car work done there. The one they went to is in an otherwise healthy and busy shopping center/mall, but the sears is kinda empty and sad.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abongination posted:

They're betting the whole company on that thing, it better have sold well. GL

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Iron Prince posted:

Edit: or am I just simply autistic and underestimate the impact that Yelp reviews have on local dives? The top review of this bar is a two star review that states "this is a place only for local regulars and bar flies" the place is basically just a beer tap with a dart board I don't know what these people are expecting.

This has nothing to do with Yelp's actual power and everything to do with local bar owners not knowing what they're doing. A local bar owner is usually an average Joe who came into a little money at some point and say "Hey, I'll open a bar." Then through sheer luck that person hit the magical combination of location, staff, and pricing and the bar somehow managed to not fail right away. It leads that person to think they're a genius and they "know the business" and all aspects surrounding it, especially marketing. These people are very behind in technology and since they've never used traditional advertising before they think they don't need it.

The first thing they do is instruct the entire staff that they absolutely need to check-in on Facebook with stuff like "Come see me! Installing hangovers till 12am! :) " and thinking it's going to totally work out. When it doesn't they'll say staff doesn't have enough Facebook friends or isn't checking-in enough and impose mandatory check-ins. Anyone who doesn't do this enough will magically be let go for something unrelated. Never tell your boss how we all see poo poo like this on Facebook all the time and everyone ignores it.

The next step is Yelp. The owners spend weeks trying to think up how to increase business and eventually a light comes on over their heads and they think of a plan to get customers to write a positive Yelp review for a free drink. They think they're the first to come up with this idea. Transient customers don't want to be bothered and eventually the staff runs out of regulars to beg into writing reviews. Staff will even go so far as to get on a customers phone and create a Yelp account for them. Eventually staff gets tired of being desperate and just starts creating multiple Yelp accounts and creates glowing reviews about themselves, meanwhile some customer writes one star reviews because a server is "rude" for having the audacity to charge them for guacamole or something.

After that the Hot Girl plan goes into effect. They hire some hot girls, put them in a corset and some fishnets and throw them out there. Male staff is moved to graveyard shift because all owners think the girls will get robbed or assaulted after 2am. If the owner is unlucky, the girls won't know what they're doing, text all day at work, and ignore customers because they'll just get tips for being hot. If they're lucky the girls will be decent bartenders or servers. If they're really lucky they'll get a smart girl who can convincingly flirt with everyone, and some will go so far as to hold text conversations or go on a date or two (no sex) with the customers and basically establish a constant stable of people they friendzoned who totally think they're going to bang the bartender. But they don't last long because they're smart opportunists and will eventually go work a a nightclub or pool and make $500-1000 a day while trying to avoid sexual harassment from GMs, or they will date a rich guy that takes care of them, or get certified in nursing or radiology and go do that.

The last step is hiring staff that convinces them they have a built-in "following" that will follow them around to this bar if they are hired. Everyone says they can do this and no one can. Their regulars from one side of town aren't going to drive 45 minutes out of their way to be regulars at a new bar because Joe the Cool Guy Bartender works there now. So you just get hired and hope you become well enough friends with the owner or GM to not get fired. So then owners tell staff they need to "promote more" so you see all these service industry people go to all the local bars in the area, buy a drink, tip like fifteen bucks and then be like "Hey bartender, come visit at me at the bar I work at." It doesn't really work unless you're good at making friends with other bartenders or you tip them like $100 for one drink a few times so they really feel obligated. If you're good at this you can get a decent group of service industry people to come see you after there shifts are over. Then they all get fired after some bi-yearly bar staff cleansing and you have to find new regulars all over again.

Basically if you work in a local bar, you can expect the owner to demand that staff become 100% responsible for getting people in the door.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

The Snoo posted:

Maybe idgi but why not just have your own custom playlist of poo poo you actually like on a USB stick or on your phone with an aux/USB cord or something???

I've been saying the same thing for years - when I was a trainee heavy-truck driver, the dude who was teaching me had Sirius and although there were a lot of channels, the mix of songs was pretty terrible, with no deep cuts off of popular albums and few obscure bands/songs. After a month, I'd heard everything on the channel about ten times and wanted to kill myself.

I took about 5 hours, filled a 64gig thumbdrive with 320/256kb mp3's and stuck it in my radio on random. Been listening to it for about 18months now and still haven't heard anything enough to tire of it. Even if someone doesn't have a USB-capable car stereo, you can buy one for like $60 nowadays, or use your phone + a cassette/FM transceiver.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

JnnyThndrs posted:

I've been saying the same thing for years - when I was a trainee heavy-truck driver, the dude who was teaching me had Sirius and although there were a lot of channels, the mix of songs was pretty terrible, with no deep cuts off of popular albums and few obscure bands/songs. After a month, I'd heard everything on the channel about ten times and wanted to kill myself.

I took about 5 hours, filled a 64gig thumbdrive with 320/256kb mp3's and stuck it in my radio on random. Been listening to it for about 18months now and still haven't heard anything enough to tire of it. Even if someone doesn't have a USB-capable car stereo, you can buy one for like $60 nowadays, or use your phone + a cassette/FM transceiver.

To be fair legally purchasing all of those mp3s would be out of most people's price range. It would be immoral to listen to music without giving the artist royalties every single time.

FM transcievers aren't worth using.

Also sirius has talk channels and comedy and stuff like howard stern that people like to listen to.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Back when digital radio stations were trying their best to be relevant, the local ~popular rock music~ station had a digital substation that was really good and had no commercials, somehow. They played stuff like the smiths and radiohead, a lot of 'indie' rock poo poo and just things I didn't hear much on the other stations. Of course it's gone now but it did help me get into some different music.

The local university radio station is really pretentious about how they don't play any of the 'mainstream' stuff (they totally do but since it's not pop/rap it doesn't count) but I can't avoid it because my parents have had several radios with it on 24/7 for over a decade. They play the same poo poo over and over just like any other station. :negative: College radio stations/public radio + television seem to be circling the drain because their business model kinda sucks now, as much as I appreciate that it exists.

I won't pretend that my entire music discography was legally obtained tho lol

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Top 40 isn't as bad now as it was 10-15 years ago, I generally don't mind hearing it when out and around. It has its place at least, I don't really need to hear like Tom Waits when I am trying to pick out pants at Kohl's?

Recently I leased a new car and it came with satellite radio free trial. The sound quality is piss and the library is the same pod-person selection as any ClearChannel station, except I wanna say they play a little more stuff by black artists.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

reallivedinosaur posted:

To be fair legally purchasing all of those mp3s would be out of most people's price range. It would be immoral to listen to music without giving the artist royalties every single time.

FM transcievers aren't worth using.

Also sirius has talk channels and comedy and stuff like howard stern that people like to listen to.

Howard stern, I'll give you, but their "comedy" channels are absolutely abysmal in terms of variety and depth of catalog. As far as the royalties thing, from what artists have been saying, the streaming services are paying approximately Jack/poo poo, so I don't know if using streaming services are really helping them.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The Time Dissolver posted:

Top 40 isn't as bad now as it was 10-15 years ago, I generally don't mind hearing it when out and around. It has its place at least, I don't really need to hear like Tom Waits when I am trying to pick out pants at Kohl's?

Recently I leased a new car and it came with satellite radio free trial. The sound quality is piss and the library is the same pod-person selection as any ClearChannel station, except I wanna say they play a little more stuff by black artists.

90% of sattelite radio users are either Howard Stern listeners or people who need even more of the 24 hour news cycle.

Or truckers that want to listen to baseball and football games

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cliff Racer posted:

Your "dense population area" has significantly worse selection than south central Pennsylvania. Congratulations on living in Duluth, I guess.

Duluth actually has The Current, a listener supported station with zero ads, a ridiculously wide selection of music, and excellent informative DJs, so I'm going to say that's false too. Most areas have at least one or two decent-to-excellent radio stations until you get to the 400 mile highways where you see maybe one or two other cars out west.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CubanMissile posted:

This has nothing to do with Yelp's actual power and everything to do with local bar owners not knowing what they're doing. A local bar owner is usually an average Joe who came into a little money at some point and say "Hey, I'll open a bar." Then through sheer luck that person hit the magical combination of location, staff, and pricing and the bar somehow managed to not fail right away. It leads that person to think they're a genius and they "know the business" and all aspects surrounding it, especially marketing. These people are very behind in technology and since they've never used traditional advertising before they think they don't need it.

Basically if you work in a local bar, you can expect the owner to demand that staff become 100% responsible for getting people in the door.

are you talking from experience?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Xaris posted:

knowing tons of people that worked in the service industry and working some in it myself when i was younger that account actually sounds bout right for most establishments

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Xaris posted:

About seven years of it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

Duluth actually has The Current, a listener supported station with zero ads, a ridiculously wide selection of music, and excellent informative DJs, so I'm going to say that's false too. Most areas have at least one or two decent-to-excellent radio stations until you get to the 400 mile highways where you see maybe one or two other cars out west.

We have one as well, piped in from Philly, and a pretty good NPR affiliate due to the state government connection, a classical/jazz publicly funded station of questionable quality and lots of low service area college stations. I actually feared that threre'd be something in Duluth when making the joke due to the whole Minnesota thing but whatever.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Snoo posted:

Back when digital radio stations were trying their best to be relevant, the local ~popular rock music~ station had a digital substation that was really good and had no commercials, somehow. They played stuff like the smiths and radiohead, a lot of 'indie' rock poo poo and just things I didn't hear much on the other stations. Of course it's gone now but it did help me get into some different music.

We had one of those here in STL until December, when it stunted over into all-Christmas music.

After Christmas, it dropped the "quality rock" format and became a competitor to 99.1 Joy! FM, a "faith and inspiration" station who hands out a poo poo-load of stickers with their name on them that their listeners put on their cars. Those stickers are also great for the rest of us, as they identify the worst drivers in the metropolitan area.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Best Buy plays "the blend" which was basically the same 80 songs every day with the top 40s looping every four hours. Every week we'd ask them to change to something that doesn't suck but was told head office decided the channel. Was better than the Walmart cd though.

Radio in general seems very good of creativity. It suffers from being long in the tooth forcing tradition mistaking a loyal older follower as maintaining relevancy. The amont of top 40 stations carving out their little niche appealing to different demographics with the same song selection is pretty silly. That being said its not about entertainment it's about what sells. And if the only people who buy music are the ones who like the most generic and safe or most generic and "risqué" that's all that plays.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

99.1 Joy! FM, a "faith and inspiration" station who hands out a poo poo-load of stickers with their name on them that their listeners put on their cars. Those stickers are also great for the rest of us, as they identify the worst drivers in the metropolitan area.

exactly this, but Z88.3 in Orlando

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Adix posted:

exactly this, but Z88.3 in Orlando

"safe for little ears"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I grew up listening to CBC Radio One so I find commercial radio completely baffling and obnoxious.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Entropic posted:

I grew up listening to CBC Radio One so I find commercial radio completely baffling and obnoxious.

I grew up listening to Q107 and feel the exact same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tricky D posted:

"safe for little ears"

Positive, Caring KLOVE!

Alt: Froggy 99