Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

LASTCAR posted:

Not one thing about this surprises me. Trump's in the news more than just about anything and Brian just wants more exposure for himself and the brand. If any other candidate from either party had nearly as much TV time, I'm sure he'd be with that person instead.

I mean, come on, the old man brought Bill Clinton to the Southern 500 during the 1992 campaign trail - two months after Bush Sr. went to Daytona.

I dunno man, I think this is more Brian's doing. I doubt NASCAR corporate is enjoying this at all right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

LASTCAR posted:

Not one thing about this surprises me. Trump's in the news more than just about anything and Brian just wants more exposure for himself and the brand. If any other candidate from either party had nearly as much TV time, I'm sure he'd be with that person instead.

I mean, come on, the old man brought Bill Clinton to the Southern 500 during the 1992 campaign trail - two months after Bush Sr. went to Daytona.

On the one side, I get that. Like, if he'd done this with ANY other candidate I'd just be like yeah cool fine, but Trump. I mean, the dude just also got an endorsement from the Grand Dragon of the goddamn KKK. That is going to disprove the adage that any publicity is good publicity.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Uncle Jam posted:

I dunno man, I think this is more Brian's doing. I doubt NASCAR corporate is enjoying this at all right now.

quote:

In response to an inquiry from Yahoo Sports regarding France's endorsement in light of the July withdrawal, NASCAR VP David Higdon responded, "Private personal decision by Brian."

To me, that translates to NASCAR corporate going ":stonk:".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You know, if he had just gone on his own time, I wouldn't be OK with it, but gently caress it, he's a private citizen and he can go to the klavern if he wants. But bringing in the NASCAR drivers with him to do photo ops absolutely makes it seem like the sanctioning body's involved (even if this isn't the case), and that is real, real not good.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

CBJSprague24 posted:

To me, that translates to NASCAR corporate going ":stonk:".

Hahaha bless that idiot

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I agree with you LASTCAR. This seems more like trying to get in the limelight with Trump by saying "Hey we're relevant see, we got an evangelical driver (Ragan), an old favorite southern driver (Bill) and his rising star son (Chase), and dumbass conspiracy theorist (Newman), so hey we're just like you so watch us." I wonder if they planned this a few weeks ago before David Duke and the KKK got involved so yet again NASCAR got hosed hard.

Looking at the replies on Jeff Gluck's twitter is full on saying gently caress this sport, but who knows since I'm guessing 90% of who follows NASCAR doesn't have a twitter. Man never thought the two threads I read most would combine in the dumbest way.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BMB5150 posted:

I agree with you LASTCAR. This seems more like trying to get in the limelight with Trump by saying "Hey we're relevant see, we got an evangelical driver (Ragan), an old favorite southern driver (Bill) and his rising star son (Chase), and dumbass conspiracy theorist (Newman), so hey we're just like you so watch us." I wonder if they planned this a few weeks ago before David Duke and the KKK got involved so yet again NASCAR got hosed hard.

Looking at the replies on Jeff Gluck's twitter is full on saying gently caress this sport, but who knows since I'm guessing 90% of who follows NASCAR doesn't have a twitter. Man never thought the two threads I read most would combine in the dumbest way.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump's referred to NASCAR as some combination of "dumbass hick sport", "anybody could do it", or "cars going around in circles" in his lifetime, and yet France wants to rub elbows with him. It definitely feels like an attention grab and, much like most everything else, feels like one which could backfire in a major way.

Monte Dutton, about the only current or former NASCAR media member I know of who has the stones to complain, is flabbergasted.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 1, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Alain Post posted:

You know, if he had just gone on his own time, I wouldn't be OK with it, but gently caress it, he's a private citizen and he can go to the klavern if he wants. But bringing in the NASCAR drivers with him to do photo ops absolutely makes it seem like the sanctioning body's involved (even if this isn't the case), and that is real, real not good.

Photo op is an understatement, he gave a loving speech at a rally

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/704448593227325440

God drat there are people saluting after that what is this mess

Here's Chase Elliot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtUoQiKIJ7E&t=212s

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 1, 2016

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Here's Chase Elliot

Bill was one of my childhood race heros. Hell, I even have the NES game with his name on it. This disappoints me and makes me no longer want to cheer on Chase.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm happy that thumbneck Newman is there

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Donald Drumpf posted:

If the people that like and watch NASCAR vote for Donald Trump, they can cancel the election right now -- nobody can win

Someone should show him the TV ratings before making claims like that.

Edit: And Mike Joy weighed in on Twitter.

Mike Joy posted:

No we won’t be discussing this gaffe on @FOXSports on Sunday. Off limits topics include Race/ Religion/ Sex/ Politics.

Good to see this move is receiving negative feedback almost everywhere online. My dream of NASCAR crumbling to the ground is still in effect. :getin:

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 1, 2016

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Why is Ragan the evangelical?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Here's Chase Elliot

seeing bill there just hurts

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I'm going to write or tweet to the title sponsors and NAPA. And Newman's sponsor, whoever that is. I'm also not planning on buying or wearing any NASCAR gear until this is hashed out. I don't really have much desire to be associated with that bigoted, racist, fascist piece of poo poo at all.

No one should have to apologize for their political affiliation, and believe me being a liberal in Idaho I get that, but France, in combination with the Elliotts and tinfoil hat man, has made us as NASCAR fans look like even worse rednecks, and I am having a hard time justifying to myself why I should support NASCAR any longer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

This pretty much proves any talk of diversity is bullshit, right? "We want mexican drivers but let me tell you about those job-stealing rapists coming across our border"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peanut President posted:

This pretty much proves any talk of diversity is bullshit, right? "We want mexican drivers but let me tell you about those job-stealing rapists coming across our border"

They'll probably just push guys like Wallace and Suarez even harder in the most transparent "look, we're not racist" ploy of all time.

Remember a year ago when they half-assedely tried to ask people to stop flying confederate flags? They don't know what they loving want

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

It is total PR bullshit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I mean it always was mostly bullshit but now it's exceedingly obvious.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Dehumanize and face the Trump for Mr. Hendrick.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Trump and Kim Jong Brian actually match up well together. They inherited all their money and their own endeavors have been failures.

This is timed perfectly with their still-active search for a new title sponsor, which I'm sure won't be affected by this at all. Look forward to Super-Chase 5.0 to determine the winner of the 2017 Trump Cup.

I can imagine Sprint is glad that their contract is over this year.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 1, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

They'll probably just push guys like Wallace and Suarez even harder in the most transparent "look, we're not racist" ploy of all time.

Remember a year ago when they half-assedely tried to ask people to stop flying confederate flags? They don't know what they loving want

They'll probably also push Danica hard (not that she needs it, but she'll take it) because "Look, we have female drivers, too! The whole sport isn't white men!".

Backing so many candidates is sort of a metaphor for NASCAR's thinking these days: they want it as many ways as they can have it. As I said before, the moment that awakened NASCAR to the masses resulted in fines and probation to both Allison and Yarborough.

They want Joey Logano dumping Matt Kenseth out of the lead, but they're also going to fine people for doing it according to their new punishment system. They'd LOVE to have some big-time drama like Kenseth piledriving Logano right back at Martinsville, but that's a multi-race suspension and/or ban because they can't make this look like a bloodsport.

Encouraging new teams yet creating a massive barrier to entry (almost like...a wall?) because of the Charter system and the disparity in prize money between the two types of teams.

I don't care if Kim Jong France endorses Trump. What bothers me is that he IS NASCAR and, regardless of intent, this affects NASCAR. When Mike Joy and a god drat NASCAR VP both effectively say "No, that's HIM, not US.", you know you done messed up.

e- In case anybody wondered if I was exaggerating in my rundown of the SXM NASCAR shows, Jim Noble dares to differ and Dave Moody is towing the line like a loving mark:

https://twitter.com/DGodfatherMoody/status/704677862935138310

"NUH-UH HE DIDN'T".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 1, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
All cars sponsored by the military. Trump Cup sounds nice. Confederate flags traded for Trump flags or toupees. This is the smartest thing France has ever done, not that the bar is all that high.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fans* will cheer as President Trump calls the congresswoman who fought to end military involvement "a fat, stupid, wrinkled, bloated old hag" in an event at Daytona International Stadium and allows military sponsorships to resume.

*Some fans. Not all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wait what if dale jr publicly denounces trump. what will the fans do?????

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elitist Bitch posted:

On the one side, I get that. Like, if he'd done this with ANY other candidate I'd just be like yeah cool fine, but Trump. I mean, the dude just also got an endorsement from the Grand Dragon of the goddamn KKK. That is going to disprove the adage that any publicity is good publicity.

in all fairness every election cycle has the "the KKK endorsed WHO?!?!" story and at this point it's fairly tiring

CBJSprague24 posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump's referred to NASCAR as some combination of "dumbass hick sport", "anybody could do it", or "cars going around in circles" in his lifetime, and yet France wants to rub elbows with him. It definitely feels like an attention grab and, much like most everything else, feels like one which could backfire in a major way.

Monte Dutton, about the only current or former NASCAR media member I know of who has the stones to complain, is flabbergasted.

Trump was part of the group trying to build a superspeedway somewhere in NY back in the 90's

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/video/trump-speedway-almost-happened-010516

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 1, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Trump was part of the group trying to build a superspeedway somewhere in NY back in the 90's

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/video/trump-speedway-almost-happened-010516

Never knew that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I only do because loving city transplants here voted it down because of "noise concerns" despite it being potentially located in the buffer zone that loving C-5's used daily

one meeting away from having a high banked 2.5 mile superspeedway/road course/drag strip/dirt oval complex 5 miles from my house and they voted it down :negative:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm glad that NY track didn't happen because it probably would've meant the end of Watkins Glen on the Cup calendar.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's a NY Times article when the project first started.

I dunno if it would've killed off the Glen, that's 5 hours from here. Would've hurt Pocono possibly, but if it was built prior to 2000 like they wanted you'd likely see it as the last race of the year and as big as the Daytona 500.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Dave Moody is a loud mouth idiot who can never be wrong

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

I dunno if it would've killed off the Glen, that's 5 hours from here. Would've hurt Pocono possibly, but if it was built prior to 2000 like they wanted you'd likely see it as the last race of the year and as big as the Daytona 500.

:laffo: to everything you just said.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Claire B Lang is somewhat heating as well. She rambles through the NASCAR talking points for 30 seconds, then asked a closed-ended and let the caller speak for 5.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

:laffo: to everything you just said.

45 minutes from NYC with direct rail access bro, it was gonna be a crazy facility

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

45 minutes from NYC with direct rail access bro, it was gonna be a crazy facility

Reminds me of Texas world and Ontario tbh

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

VikingSkull posted:

Makes sense. Imagine if they put a track next to LA, it would sell out at least 2 races. It might even warrant booting a solid racetrack and a crown jewel from the schedule.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Seriously though, I'm sorry for you that it didn't get made. You would have at least enjoyed it after if the rest of the city lost interest.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Maybe they would've sped up the conversion of 17 to 86.

Man, I need to drive that someday.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Harveygod posted:

Makes sense. Imagine if they put a track next to LA, it would sell out at least 2 races. It might even warrant booting a solid racetrack and a crown jewel from the schedule.

I love AMS as a track, but I would give up the race there for them switching to Road Atlanta. I would probably still be sad about not racing at the oval though.

What I am saying is, it would probably be AMS that was kicked out.

HFX fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 2, 2016

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

[looks at all the failed LA tracks, nods]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

[looks at all the failed LA tracks, nods]

good reasoning, we better sell the football teams before anyone finds out

e- reminder that within this "non racing fan area" we have dozens of tracks (which LA doesn't). we get 7-10k people for Eastern States, Syracuse would draw 70k. you would've got 70k at that track consistently just from the race fans outside NYC

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 2, 2016

• Locked thread