Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Aviary Attorney is a kickstarted indie homage to the Ace Attorney game series, based on the works of 19th century artist J. J. Grandville. The player takes on the role of interpid defense attorney Jayjay Falcon, seeking to bring justice to the simple people of Paris alongside his plucky assistant Sparrowson.

While it's nothing on the same scale as the original AA games, Aviaty Attorney is still very charmingly written and has a lot of interesting twists on the formula that I won't talk about here. I'm gonna LP it!

Thread rules:
  • Screenshot LP with music links.
  • I will try to keep to a schedule of at least two updates per week, with more updates as I have the backlog for them.
  • No thread interactivity is planned. I'm gonna show off all of the endings.
  • As usual, don't post spoilers! If I miss something, though, feel free to talk about it - at least up to the big route divergence point, I have no plans to go back and cover extra stuff.
  • Speculation is A-OK and encouraged.

Act I: A Cat with Claws
January 3rd - Dame Caterline Accused
January 4th - Inspection of the Château Crinière
January 5th - Studio de Robinio
The Trial of Dame Caterline, Part 1
The Trial of Dame Caterline, Part 2
The Trial of Dame Caterline, Part 3
Always Trust Your Client

Act II: A Fox Among Wolves
January 10th - Jayjay Falcon in a Slump
January 10th - The Prince of Spain Himself
January 11th - An Arch-Rival Enters the Story

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
FACE BOOK

Jayjay Falcon

Sparrowson

Purrtoir Demiaou

Kwark

Caterline Demiaou

Grenwee

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 24, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Let's begin!

Our story opens, predictably enough, with murder most foul!

it's midday already. Where on Earth is that feather-head...

Ugh. Too early for worms. Pass the Cabernet Sauvignon.
There'll be time for that later. We've got business to handle first.
Business?

It's probably just more junk mail. Go ahead, Sparrowson, you may have the honors.
Alright. ~Ahem~ "Dear Monsieur Falcon, I am writing to you today because my daughter, Dame Caterline, has been arrested for a crime she did not commit. She is being heled at la Conciergerie prison on the charge of murder, no less. Her trial is in three days' time. I would be greatly in your debt if you would offer her your legal aid. Yours sincerely, Seigneur Purrtoir Demiaou of the Demiaou estate."
Well this is quite something...
I know! Your first serious client in months!
Not just that. The Demiaou estate is well known for its exuberant wealth. Even if we cannot do much for Dame Caterline, his Lordship would still reward us handsomely for our efforts.

I'll play this like a proper heroic attorney type. For now.

Of course! It would be foolish to let such a good opportunity slip through our feathers. Grab your coat, Sparrowson. We're going to go find our kitty client at la Conciergerie.
Excellent. My derrière was getting tired from all this sitting around. Oh, but I better file away Seigneur Demiaou's letter first. One moment, Falcon.

What kind of attorney would we be without an evidence folder?

...Again. I recall you losing it at the New Years' party. And at Christmas...
Yes, alright. No need to make a list.

Let's make a move!

The map screen! The buttons on the edge indicate places I can go. This game has a time system - locations with a clock next to them will take one day to visit, locations without are free.

So, I immediately go back to the office.

I was just procrastinating.
Well, stop it! We need to get back to helping Dame Caterline.
Alright, I'm ready. Let's go!

Productive!

Now, let's do things properly and visit the accused.

Sullen-faced guards and visitors linger beneath the medieval archways.

Ah, the Conciergerie. They say this is the finest prison in the whole of France. The outer walls are impenetrable. The cells are spotless. The guards are well-mannered...

Good day, Monsieur. I am here to see Dame Caterline Demiaou. I am due to represent her in court.
Oh, you're her lawyer, huh? Fine, fine. Follow me.
Well, what are ya waiting for? Keep up.

Dame Caterline Demiaou, I presume.

M'lady is knowledgeable.
Don't... Don't talk like that, Sparrowson.
Sorry.
My papa told me that he would only hire the best lawyers in town.
I'm flattered.
...But they weren't available at such short notice, so he hired the first people in the address directory.
Oh.
You see, Falcon? I told you listing under Aviary Attorney would pay off.
Let's get down to business. Dame Caterline, could you fill us in on some details? Your father's letter was a little brief.
I can do my best. What is it you wanted to know?

What exactly happened on the night of the murder?
Ooh, let me think. It was Friday evening. Me and my papa had arrived at Château Crinière, the home of the great Baron Rorgueil. My papa spent all evening talking with Monsieur Grenwee and the baron about... business stuff.
Business stuff?
Well, the three of them own a railway company together. So all through dinner, they were talking about company shares and investments, but I didn't really understand most of it. But after dinner, this man with a camera took our photograph. That was a lot more fun.
Sorry, man with a what took your what?

A tiny bug sits in a box with a tiny paintbrush, and paints your picture very fast. In ten minutes, poof! You have a perfect picture!
Wow! Technology is amazing!
I don't think the Lady's explanation is right, Sparrowson.
Pshaw. Let me believe.
Still, the camera sounds like a very special device. I'll make a note of it.

Please continue, Dame Caterline.
So after we had the photograph, I went into the gardens to get some air, and that's when I found the body of Monsieur Grenwee. He was all ripped open! A housemaid saw me standing over the froggy Monsieur and called for help, and then the police arrived. Before I could say anything, I ended up here. It was such a blur.

It must have been terrifying.
It wasn't so bad. My papa taught me how to be a brave cat. Was there something else you wanted to ask, Monsieur Falcon?

Dame Caterline, who attended the banquet that evening?
Well, there was me and my papa. My dearest maman couldn't make it. And there was Baron Rorgueil, who hosted the dinner. And his housemaid... Couline, I think she was called. Of course there was Monsieur Grenwee... well, until, you know, he died. And there was Monsieur Robittio de Robinio, the man with the camera, but he was only there for a little while. I think that was all. Was there anything else you wanted to ask?

Dame Caterline, did you see anything suspicious that evening?
Suspicious?
Like, um, maybe a guy lurking in the shadows, or, uh, a bloodied murder weapon...
Monsieur Falcon, I do believe you are looking for an easy answer.
You got me.
I did not see anything, I am afraid. The evening was very normal. The food was delicious. The conversation was boring. It was all very ordinary until the incident.

I did?
Dame Caterline, you said, "the food was delicious"...

You and your drat stomach.
Let me see...

Go on.

Glorious. Falcon, write this down.
What? This can't possibly be relevant to the case.
Write it all down. Please. For me.
Fine, fine.

Sparrowson, remind me not to let you talk to clients on an empty stomach.
Come to think of it, I did find it a little strange that we weren't given any cutlery.
No cutlery? Even for the steak?
Nope! You would think that the great baron of Château Crinière would have gorgeous silverware, but there was none to be seen.
That is a little peculiar.
Was there anything else you wanted to know, Monsieur Falcon?
No, I think that will be all.
So what's the plan now, Falcon?
The way I see it, we have two tasks. We should head to Château Crinière, and try to see the scene of the murder for ourselves. We should try to track down this supposed "photographer", Monsieur Robittio de Robinio.
Two days for two tasks? Seems doable.
But we should head back and get some rest first. We have a lot of work ahead of us.
Wait, Monsieur Falcon. Before you go... You... do believe my story, don't you?

Of course, Dame Caterline. It's our duty as lawyers -
- And as gentlemen -
- To have faith in your testimony. You can trust us.
...Thank you. Thank you both.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 24, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I am absolutely thrilled that someone else is doing this LP so I don't have to. I've got my plate full :v:

e: Small typo.

ProfessorProf posted:

- To have faith in your destimony. You can trust us.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 23, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that... looks like a thing. Falcon Wright? Hatoful Attorney?
It looks like the characterisations of our dynamic duo are a bit all over the place, though. Our assistent in particular seems to freely switch between "dumb sidekick" and "slave driver" personalities.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

This promises to be a Good LP of a drat Good Game.

anilEhilated posted:

Well, that... looks like a thing. Falcon Wright? Hatoful Attorney?
It looks like the characterisations of our dynamic duo are a bit all over the place, though. Our assistent in particular seems to freely switch between "dumb sidekick" and "slave driver" personalities.

I get the sense Sparrowson's a dumb sidekick who also makes sure Falcon is actually doing work, while Falcon reigns in Sparrowson's wackiness. Its actually pretty on-point Ace Attorney

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I am sorry. I cannot read this thread as it would absolutely ruin this game for me. Thank you though, I feel you have done me a great service by alerting me to the existence of this game. If I finish it soon I'll drop by. But now it is time for Bird Puns.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I wanted to like this game a lot more than I really did. What's there is good, solid stuff, there's just no meat on the bones and it ends at what feels like it should be the setup for the big, all-out finale.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, why would their host want every guest to be mistaken at first glance for some mad cannibal, all eating up random courtiers with a rowley, powley, gammon, and spinach?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Not particularly.
Well, it is for me. I'mgoing to start compiling a Face Book so that I can keep track of who everyone is.
A what?
A Face Book! It's a collection of people's names, pictures, and descriptions in one easy-to-carry catalog.
I think I understand. The name could use a little work, though.

Rounding out our HUD is the character bios! We have six so far:

I'll add these to the top of the thread as we unlock them.

Day turns to night, and night turns to day. It is now Tuesday - 2 days until the trial.

Just out of curiosity, I pop right back to the Conciergerie.

I am Jayjay Falcon, defense attorney for -
I know who ya are. I saw ya come by earlier. But visitin' hours are over. Come back next week.
Do you think you could make an exception for us?
Visitin' hours are over.
We'll be quick.
I said. Visitin'. Hours. Are over. D'ya bird-brains understand? Parlez-vous Français?
I don't think he's going to make an exception, Falcon.
You're right. Let's continue our investigation.

Yes, let's. To the Château!

People with dirty clothes and gaunt faces linger around the building's shadows.

I don't mean to be a pain, but my little girl and I are sick and starvin', see?

I don't suppose you'd happen to have some spare change?

Ten is a bit steep, with the condition our wallet is in.

Here you go. Stay safe, madame.
Many thanks to ya, messieurs!
That was pretty generous of you, Falcon.
Times are tough. Making sure a mother and child have something to eat is the least I can do. But what am I doing, standing here moralizing? Come on Sparrowson, we've got business to attend to.

Woah, look at this place! Baron Rorgueil must be loaded!
More than loaded. When it comes to lucrative investments, the Baron is a legend. Factories, chocolate shops, hotels, railroads... the Baron owns a little bit of everything this side of the Seine.
Is he here right now?
Yes. He's the smug-looking chap with the impressive mane.
But we must approach a man of his stature with tact and finesse...

How's that?
Sparrowson, you have the finesse of an inebriated warthog.
You can thank me later. I think I got his attention.

And who might you fellows be? More investigators?

Not quite. I am private attorney Jayjay Falcon, and this is my associate, Sparrowson.
Lawyers, eh? You know, you aren't the first to have passed through here today.
Oh?
Yes, yes. This jumpy, twitchy fellow came by this morning. Asked a bunch of questions, then hopped away before he heard the answers. Most curious.
Hmm.
Do you know who he was, Sparrowson?
Perhaps. I have a hutch - sorry, hunch - we'll be seeing him at the trial.
A friend of yours?
Something like that.
So what may I do for you messieurs?
We're doing some research on Monseiur Grenwee, the frog who was killed here on Friday evening.
Of course, of course. Such a tragedy. He was a good friend and a loyal business partner. I suppose you messieurs will be wanting to see the crime scene for yourself?
Actually, yes, that would be fantastic.
Well, be my guest. You will find the garden where the murder occurred through the back doors. You may also be interested in the lounge on the second floor, third door to the right. That would be where we gathered for a group photograph, prior to the...

...Unfortunate incident.
Oh, can we see the finished photograph?
I am afraid not. It is to my understanding that a photograph must be developed before it can be viewed. It's a slow process. My own copy of the photograph is to be delivered in three day's time.
That's no good to us. The trial may be over by then.
Nonetheless, we appreciate your hospitality. Thank you, Baron.
It's no trouble at all. I'll be here to see you out when you are done with your investigations.
So, where shall we go first?

Let's save the crime scene for last.

Psst. Hey, Falcon. Did you see that?
See what?
That housemaid totally just did something shifty.
Shifty?
I think she just pocketed something from that drawer. You should totally call her out on it!
Excuse me, mademoiselle!

Y-yes? Are you two policemen?
No, no. We're private attorneys. My name's Jayjay Falcon.
And I'm Sparrowson.
Oh, how rude of me. My name is Couline Duhaut. So, uh, what can I help you messieurs with today?
We're investigating the murder that took place last week. Do you mind if we ask you a couple questions?
That's fine. Let me just grab a chair.

We're looking for the room where the photograph was taken prior to the incident. Would you happen to know whether this is the right room?
Oh, yes, you're in the right place. I saw the photography session for myself. Let's see... the camera man was standing... Just about where you're standing, actually, Monseiur Falcon.
And where was the camera pointed?
Right at the clock above the mantelpiece. The Baron insisted on using that very location.
Now that I'm looking at it, something isn't right about that clock...
I know! The painting on it totally clashes with the decor!
I was thinking along more obvious lines.

Oh, that clock has never had hands in all the years I've worked here. I think Baron Rorgueil just keeps it around as a conversation piece.
Well, we're conversing about it, so I guess it's working.
It's a peculiar detail, though. I'll make a note of it.
Is there something else you wanted to ask?

You were a little nervous when we came in. You thought we were police officers.
Is there something we ought to know? Anything you need to confess?
No, no. I suppose I'm just a little nervous after all the drama of last week.

Are you sure there isn't anything that you're hiding?
It's okay to tell us. We're defense attorneys. That means we help people get away with criminal acts.
Right, and -
Wait. What? No! That's not an accurate job description, Sparrowson!
It isn't? Oh. What do we do, then?
...I'll tell you later.
Honestly, messieurs, I have nothing to hide. Was there something else you wanted to ask?

No further questions. Thank you, mademoiselle, you've been a huge help.
It's no problem, messieurs.

I know you two saw me... stealing... as you came in. I appreciate that you didn't give me the third degree about it. You see, I'm trying to save up to follow my dreams, and... well, never mind, I'm rambling.
It's no problem, mademoiselle. To be honest, we have a much larger crime to worry about. Although, I should probably ask: I don't suppose you've been stealing anything else? Silverware, perhaps?
Ah! You know about that? Yeah, I suppose that was me. It started wouth a couple of teaspoons - I didn't think the baron would miss those. But, uh, well, yeah, I suppose the habit got a little away from me...
That's one mystery solved, at least.

And since I missed it before:

I would appreciate it if you didn't tell the baron. He's been really kind, and I would hate to break his trust.
I see.
So, where to next, big bird?

To the scene of the murder!

Hey, Falcon. Do the crime scene investigation thing.
The crime scene investigation thing?
Yeah! You know, that thing where you get all eagle-eyed, and analyze every object in excruciating detail.
You mean search for evidence?
Yeah! Do that!
That's not a bad suggestion. It wouldn't be the first time the Parisian police have missed something right under their noses.

The main difference between these bits in Aviary Attorney and Ace Attorney is that I can leave whenever I want - in other words, it's perfectly possible to end up missing out on clues.

I'll go into the reason that this isn't horrendous later.

I've darkened the screen to make what I'm selecting a bit more obvious - let me know if that works well. It's hard to see the indicator otherwise.

A finely-crafted horse statue. Thte mane almost looks life-liked.
Would you say it be-hooves you to stroke it?
No. No, I would not.

Baron Rorgueil certainly likes his horse statues.
I don't mind the horse statues, but the little cherub people creep me out. Babies should be waddling, not attempting saddleless horseback riding.

Another beautifully made horse statue.
You know, my uncle once had a horse that refused to eat hay.
Oh. That's unfortunate.
Yep. Eventually we realized that it was just filling up on horse d'oeuvres.
Ugh. Terrible.

A horse statue. This one has a goofy face.
That reminds me of a joke. A horse walks into a bar, and the barkeep says -
"Why the long face?" Yes, yes, we've all heard that one.
What? No. The barkeep says, "you've got to stop coming here. You're drinking us under the stable."
I think it's time to rein in the horse jokes.

This fountain is finely crafted. It's solid, carved marble. That can't have been cheap. I see nothing but water in the bottom of the lower basin.
It's a shame we can't see inside the upper basin from here. That would be a perfect place to quickly stash a murder weapon.
That's... actually not a terrible line of reasoning. We ought to wade in to take a closer look, just to be sure.
Yeah, I suppose we should.
Oh, I apologize. I wasn't being direct enough. What I meant to say was, "Sparrowson, go wade into the fountain and take a closer look inside the upper basin."
Me?! No way! If you want to go wading, do it yourself.
I'm a respectable lawyer! You can't expect me to roll up my trousers and paddle around a fountain like a duck in a lake.
Yeah, well, you don't pay me enough to justify getting my sweet threads wet. Look. There's only one reasonable way to settle this. We'll flip for it.
Flip for it?
Yup. I'll flip this one franc coin. You call the outcome.. Get it wrong, and you go for a swim. So, what'll it be? Heads or tails? Napoléon face or... plant squiggles?

"Plant squiggles"? It's called a wreath, Sparrowson. Sure, I'll bet on the "plant squiggles".
Here I go.
It's heads. Shold have gone with the ol' Emperor, Falcon.
Gah! Fine. Hold my shoes.

I almost feel bad for cheating.
Almost.
Ah, you're back. Had a good swim?

But I did find a mystery item in the upper basin. It's no murder weapon, though.
What is this? It's brown and sticky. And it smells weird. Don't tell me that you picked up a -
Very wet cigar butt? Possibly belonging to Baron Rorgueil? Correct. But that shouldn't be too surprising - it is his house, after all. I'll stash it in the evidence folder, just in case.

Good call. But are you sure you don't want to take another dip? We still have time.
Don't push your luck.

That about wraps this place up.

We've got three new names in our Face Book:

Just one more person to talk to here.

We had a good look. Thank you, baron. But we actually have some questions for you.
Please, ask away. I have nothing to hide.

Baron Rorgueil, I would like to ask about your activities on the night of the murder.
Oh ho, am I in trouble?

No, no. Nothing like that. We're just gathering the full picture.
I see. Well, let me think. The guests arrived at five o'clock, and we all sat down for dinner in this very hall at six. That part went magnificently. The photographer arrived at seven o'clock, but it wasn't until seven thirty that we had our picture taken. My housemaid discovered the crime scene soon after that.
I see.
Is there something else I can help you messieurs with?

We met your housemaid, Couline Duhaut.
She's a courteous young lady, isn't she?

Yes, she was more than willing to help us with our investigation.
I'm glad to hear it. Did you two want to ask something else?

I think that will be all, Baron. Thank you very much for your time.
It was a pleasure. Have a delightful day, messieurs.

I hope so.
Don't worry. If everything goes wrong in the trial we could always just...

Terrible. Just terrible. Let's head back to the office and get some rest.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

This is all...I only heard of this game yesterday and I already love it so much. The name puns are incredible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I suppose it would be too obvious to say that Sparrowson is a bit birdbrained.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Would I be wrong in saying that the evidence collection screen is a set of...pigeon-holes?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A dinner that leaves everyone bloody and a photograph that cannot establish the time.

I suppose the lion is just being considerate to the poor, overworked police force.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And the photograph won't be developed in time for the trial.

So far the puns are the only thing rather predictable.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

One place left to go. One day until the trial!

Wait, there's a note on the door. Ahem. "The magnificent and marvelous artist, Monsieur Robittio de Robinio, is currently out on an artistic expedition. He shall return when his muse sees fit."
"When his muse sees fit?" What does that even mean?
I think it means that he is a pretentious bird-brain. But in any case, the artist seems to be out. What shall we do now?
Hmm.

We should knock anyway.
Alright. I don't see the harm.
Nope. It doesn't look like he's in, Falcon.

We should... we should break in.
WHAT?! Are you serious?!
...Maybe?
Monseiur Jayjay Falcon, I would have thought that a man of justice like yourself would be against such reckless displays of unlawful barbarism!
You're right. I'm sorry. I don't know what came over -
It's a brilliant suggestion. Stand back, I'm barging the door down.
Wait, just like that?! Shouldn't we discuss this first?!

You said you wanted to break in!
I thought we could find an open window. I didn't think you would turn into a bird-sized cannonball! Well, now that we're here we ought to make the most of it. This place is quite something. It's very...
Swanky?
I was going to say "ostentatious."
That's just swanky talk for swanky.
We don't have time for this. The sound of a door being smashed in could be drawing unwanted attention. We should find anything that may help our case, and get out.

Lotta stuff to poke at in here.

A picture of a sailing ship on a windy day.

A lighthouse? No, wait, it's a man in a top hat. Actually, if I squint and turn my head sideways...
It's a black smudge, Falcon.

This is a tiny photograph of what appears to be a jail cell.
That reminds me... how illegal is this? You know, breaking and entering. Rifling through a person's belongings...
Uh...

It's okay. A recently passed amendment allows for proportionate amounts of property damage in the pursuit of criminal evidence.
I don't think that's correct, but your use of legal jargon makes me have faith in your credentials.
It sounds like you're starting to learn the finer points of the French justice system, Sparrowson.

This is a picture of a fence.
It's a fencey photograph. It leaves the viewer defenseless. Out of all the pictures here, I would picket as my favorite. Okay, I'm done. No more fence puns.

A butterfly. Or maybe a moth. It's difficult to tell in black and white.

This is a photograph of a castle somewhere in the countryside.
You know, I once had an uncle who once fell off a castle rampart while on guard duty.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Did he die?
No. He got de-moat-ed.
Ugh. Terrible.

This appears to be a photograph of a ladder. Symbolic of climbing towards success, perhaps?
It looks more like a step-ladder to me.
Oh, no. We're not getting into that old argument.

A beautiful picture of the Paris skyline. Given the angle, this must have been taken from Notre-Dame cathedral itself.

I see a finely-dressed dandy fellow upon a horse.

I see paints, inks, dyes... I'm not quite sure what the clear liquid in this bottle is.
I could taste-test it.
You could. But we don't have time for a hospital visit right now. So let's not.

I see a bourgeois tigress in profile.

Hey, Falcon! Look!
What? It's just an easel.
No, no, look at what's on the easel!

There's no question about it. I see a housemaid... Dame Caterline... and I think that's Seigneur Purrtoir, Caterline's father.
So what shall we do? Do we just... take this?

No, no. That would be a big mistake. Every half-competent lawyer knows that stolen property can't be used as evidence. Still, we've learned some valuable information by seeing this photograph in person.
I suppose so. Is there anything else we need to do here?
I think we're done snooping. Let's get out of here before we draw further attention to ourselves.
Sounds good to me.

Oh mon Dieu! What happened to my door?!
Uh...

Well, Monsieur Robinio, it's like this. You see, we are attorneys who have been hired for the purpose of -
RAVEN! A raven did it! We saw the whole thing!
(What are you doing, Sparrowson? I've got this.)
(I'm not going to jail because your conscience is acting up!)
(Nobody's going to jail. Just... take it easy.)
Ugh. drat ravens. They're always after our shiny objects, am I right?
Y-yeah. That's right.
Let's make a move. Trial day is approaching fast.
Right. Let's go.

That was productive!

At last, it's trial day.

Are you nervous, Falcon?

Nope. We've got this case in the bag. Look at my feathers. See? Totally unruffled.
Wow! Well, at least one of us is feeling confident.

Is there anything you need me to do?
No, no. We've got a handle on things.
Falcon was just telling me how confident he was feeling about the case.
That's wonderful! I just know you two will pull through.
Let's move it along, fellas.
Ah, I'll be watching from inside! Do your best for me, Monsieur Falcon!
We will!

Yeah. We're ready.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Oh, uh, darn, that's not it. Oh gosh, where are my notes?

Knew what?
Rupert and I went to Paris Law School together. He was in all of my classes.
Oh. Was he smart?
Pfft. No. He always scored the second worst marks in the class. I can only assume that he bumbled through the final exams on the luck of his two rabbit's feet. Unless he's improved considerably, you might already have this trial in the bag.
That's good to know. But say, Sparrowson, if Rupert scored the second lowest marks, then who scored the lowest?
I choose to exercise my right to not self-incriminate.
Ah, here it is. ~Ahem~ The Prosecution is ready, your honor.
Are the jury all present?

Hey, Falcon. I thought there were only six members of the jury for cases like this. Why do I count eight?
Oh, those two birds with the funny hats are assesseurs - the associate judges.
Everything seems to be in order, so let us begin! The court is now in session for the trial of Dame Caterline Demiaou. Prosecution, please call your first witness to the stand.
Oh gosh, are we there already? Okay, uh... I choose to call the officer in charge of the murder investigation, Inspector Volerti, to the witness stand.
Inspector Volerti, please approach the stand and recite the oath.

Monsieur, no, um, inspector, please state your, uh, name and occupation for the record.
My name is inspector Juste Volerti. I am a servant to the law. A scourge of the gutter rats that plague this city. I have enforced the law for over twenty years, and I shall continue until I bring the infamous Viridian Killer to justice. My path begins eighteen years ago...
Let's stick to the questions, Inspector.
Of course, your honor.
Oh, great. I was hoping we could have one of those bumbling, cuddly officers, but instead we're stuck with lawful-goody two-shoes. I bet this guy would turn in his own mother if he saw her littering.
So, uh, Inspector, is it true that you are the lead investigator on this case?
That is correct. I was also among the first to arrive at the scene of the crime.
Then perhaps you can walk us through what you witnessed upon your arrival?
Absolutely.
Just after seven thirty, we were alerted and brought to the scene by the housemaid of Baron Rorgueil. At the scene of the crime, we found Dame Caterline Demiaou. She was standing over the corpse of Monsieur Grenwee with blood on her paws.
Well, that sounds like an open-and-shut case in my humble opinion. No, uh, no more questions, your honor.

Keep it together, Falcon. You're about to be given the opportunity to cross-examine the witness. That's your opportunity to find flaws in the Inspector's testimony.
Of course. I know this.
You may begin your cross-examination, Monseiur Falcon.

Cross-examination is similar, but not exactly the same as, what we've come to expect from a certain other attorney game series. Each testimony has a handful of statements I can press further into, and each has two questions I can ask about it, which might lead to attempts to make a counter-argument.

I'll take this one in order - first, press on the housemaid.

That is correct.

What was her name?
The housemaid's name was Couline Duhaut. We found her running from Château Crinière with tears in her eyes.
Couline... that was the thieving giraffe lady, wasn't it?
We questioned her extensively, but we didn't find anything implicative. As far as the police are concerned, Coiline Duhaut is not a suspect.
Hmm.

Could the housemaid have been the murderer?
Um, uh, I object! Falcon, you can't go around accusing people of murder willy-nilly!
I must agree. I saw and heard nothing that made me suspect the housemaid. No motive. No means.
Falcon, do you have any reason to suspect that the housemaid was a murderer?

Well... no, I don't. I was just exploring the possibility.
Hmph.
In any case, I saw and heard nothing that made me suspect the housemaid of murder.

Inspector, you say you found Dame Caterline at the scene of the crime.
Correct. The suspect was standing right beside the victim's body.

Did you find anything out of the ordinary in the garden?
Out of the ordinary?
Missing garden tools. Broken fences. That sort of thing.
Definitely not. We combed the garden, and it came up empty. Nothing but marble horse statues and properly-trimmed grass.
Hmm. (That seems pretty definitive...)

When you say "standing right beside"...
Would you say the two were less than one meter away?
I would say around three feet.
Feet? I'm not familiar with British measurements. How many feet are in a meter?
Well, there are twelve inches in a foot, and two-and-a-half centimeters to an inch, so... Wait, I need a pen and paper.
Twelve inches to a foot? That's just plain silly.
MONSIEUR FALCON! Is this going anywhere?

No, your honor. I was just trying to form a clear picture.
Let's not dwell on the petty details. Move it along, Monsieur Falcon.

I would like to ask about the corpse of Monsieur Grenwee.
Go on.

What was Monsieur Grenwee's cause of death.
That was immediately obvious when I arrived on the scene. Monsieur Grenwee had a gaping slash from shoulder to thigh. Blood was everywhere. I spoke with the coroner, and he was in agreenace: The frog died from blood loss directly caused by the open wound.
I see.
I suppose there's no chance of arguing that this was an unrelated injury, huh.

Inspector, could you describe the cut on Monsieur Grenwee's corpse?
Certainly. It was a single vertical slash. It was a fine and deep cut. The sort that you would expect to see from a sharpened saber or a suregon's knife...
Or a cat's claw?
Certainly.
Wait, wait, wait. You say a saber or knife could have inflicted the wound. Isn't this a line of investigation that's worth pursuing?
Don't be daft, Falcon. Did you see or hear anything about a knife or sword at the crime scene?

Well, no, I didn't. But it's a possibility, is it not?
Without, um, evidence, it's a pretty unlikely possibility. Let's stick to the facts.

Inspector, you say Dame Caterline had blood on her paws.
Correct. Blood clung to her fur like guilt to a convict.

How much blood was there on the Lady's paws, Inspector?
Enough for it to be clear that she had dirtied her hands on the victim's body. We noticed blood under the suspect's nails, around her finger tips, and even a little around her mouth.
Her mouth!? How vile.
Hmm. (The Inspector's answer seems pretty definitive...)

Whose blood was it?
HA! What a question. It was Monsieur Grenwee's, of course.
How can you be so sure?
Um, uh, I object! This line of questioning is absurd! There was only one murder victim that night, Falcon. The blood on Dame Caterline's paws could have only belonged to one person - Monsieur Grenwee! Judge, judge! Falcon's trying to delay the trial by asking pointless questions!
I'm afraid the prosecution may have a point, Monsieur Falcon. Do you have any reason to suspect that the blood belonged to someone other than Monsieur Grenwee?

I do, your honor. Actually, I have more than suspicion - I have evidence that the blood on Dame Caterline's paws had nothing to do with the murder!
This is foolish time-wasting, uh, Falcon. If the blood on Dame Caterline's paws didn't come from the victim, then where did the blood come from?

I expect most of you have already figured out the answer to this one.

BGM: Silence

Is this true, Monsieur Rabbington?
Uh, well, I, um, in a manner of, uh, speaking, I suppose steak may have been on the, uh, menu...
Then, inspector, would you acknowledge the possibility that the blood on the Lady's paws did not belong to the victim, but to the steak?
Well...
W-Wait, don't, ah, answer that, Inspector!
...It is a possibility.
Noooo...

So, inspector Volerti, is it possible that you arrested an innocent bystander simply for being a messy eater?
Now hold on just one minute, Falcon. You are overlooking something quite crucial. Dame Caterline is an elegant bourgeois kitten. She was no doubt brought up with, uh, flawless etiquette and, um, perfect table manners. At the banquet, she would have eaten the steak with a fork in her left hand and a knife in her right, like any proper, civilized animal. How could she have possibly gotten blood on her paws with such good manners?
Oh. That is a good question. Or at least, it would be at an ordinary dinner banquet. But as it happens, something was missing from that particular banquet. Something that forced Dame Caterline to eat with her paws...

Dame Caterline was forced to eat steak with her paws because...

S-Stolen? I don't recall any mention of that in the police report...
We weren't aware of anything missing from the Rorgueil resience when we performed the initial investigation. But as it happened, Baron Rorgueil approached us about this very subject last night.
Ah!

What is the meaning of all this? Bloody steak? Misplaced silverware? Inspector, was your investigation so lax that you overlooked these basic facts in your initial report?
Lax?! MY investigation? Judge, I assure you I am the most thorough investigative officer on the force.
Then it is amazing that the Parisian police manage to solve any crimes at all.
Heh.
Oh dear.
Be on your way, Inspector. Perhaps do a little inspecting for your next case.
Fine. So be it. Messieurs, untill next time...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 27, 2016

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

ProfessorProf posted:

Absolutely.
Just after seven thirty, we were alerted and brought to the scene by the housemaid of Baron Rorgueil. At the scene of the crime, we found Dame Caterline Demiaou. She was standing over the corpse of Monsieur Grenwee with blood on her paws.

In any case, I saw and heard nothing that made me suspect the housemaid of murder.

I believe these all should be the inspector talking.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
All fixed.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
This is goddamned amazing. Why had I not heard of this game before?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It was kind of one of those kickstarters that went well over its goal with after a great trailer, but then everyone forget about it while waiting for a release.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Yes, yes, of course, your honor. I call upon, um, let's see... Monsieur Robittio Robinio, the, uh, photographer who attended the banquet on the night of the murder.
Monsieur Robittio Robinio, please appproach the stand and recite the oath.

It's a little cliché, to be perfectly honest.
Could the, uh, witness pleace introduce himself for the, uh, court record.
Hmph. As if anybody in this courtroom does not immediately recognize me. I am the great Monsieur Robittio Robinio. Cutting edge photographer and visionary.
I don't just take people's pictures. I capture their very essence. Je suis l'artiste. Te es une pipe.
You may have seen my works in hip magazines "Le Branché" or "C'est Chouette". I can send you tweets, if you'd like.
What on Earth is a tweet?
Bird-to-bird communication. Come on, Falcon, it's the 19th Century. Get with the times already.
Yes, yes, your works are very, um, impressive, Monsieur Robinio, but let's get down to business. Could you tell us your, uh, activities on the night of the murder?

I arrived at seven in the evening. I pointed my camera, and captured the beauty of the banquet in one fantastic photograph. Then I billed Baron Rorgueil and left.
Like a true artist.
And, uh, with regards to the photograph itself. Who did you photograph?
I thought you might ask. I brought a copy so that you could all see for yourselves.
Oh, very good. Let's take a cloesr look.

In the middle, we see, uh, Baron Rorgueil, the lion who hosted the event. On the left, we see, um, Seigneur Purrtoir Demiaou, the father of the defendant, Dame Caterline. And finally, we see the, uh, the housemaid, Couline Duhaut, who I suspect may have snuck into the picture uninvited.

The second is the defendant, Dame Caterline Demiaou. Quite suspicious, wouldn't you agree?
Just a moment, Monsieur Rabbinton. This proves nothing. So the defendant and the victim were not photographed with the others. That doesn't mean that they were in the garden together at that point.
Hold your horses, Falcon. I'm not done yet.
The prosecution may continue.

Now, why is that time significant? Well, as Inspector Volerti told us earlier, that was the exact time the murder took place! Do you see, Falcon? Every suspect has an alibi at the time of the murder, save for Dame Caterline herself!
Falcon, something is fishy. In the jail cell, Dame Caterline told us that she was present when the photograph took place... but I don't see her in Robinio's photograph.
That's true. But I can't use Dame Caterline's testimony as evidence. It has too little weight. If I want to prove that Monsieur Robinio's photograph is not a valid piece of evidence, I will have to dish out evidence of my own.
Your honor, I would like to cross-examine the witness.
Very well. The defense may proceed.
Hmph. It's a waste of time, if you ask me. Photographs are rock-solid evidence!

Monsieur Robinio, you say that you arrived at seven o'clock.
Give or take a couple of minutes, yes.

How do you know that you arrived at seven?
Well, the clock in my house read 6:45 when I left. And the walk to Château Crinière was around fifteen minutes. I don't claim to be a flawless timekeeper, but I am a professional. I always stick to an appointment.

How long did it take to set up your camera?
It took perhaps twenty-five minutes to find a shooting location, put together the camera, and ready the film.
So you arrived at seven... and the photograph took place at seven thirty... and you spent twenty-five minutes setting up... That leaves five minutes unaccounted for.
Falcon, surely you aren't suggesting that Monsieur Robinio did something, um, nefarious in this small window of time?

Not at all. I'm just trying to piece together the evening's events.
Hmph.
I spent a little time talking with Baron Rorgueil when I arrived. That's probably where the rest of the time went.

Monsieur Robinio, I would like to ask about your billing process.
Okay.

Did you bill Baron Rorgueil, and then immediately leave the scene?
That's right. I'm a busy artist, you understand? I had no time for dilly-dallying.
So you didn't witness the murder or the aftermath first-hand?
No. From what I understand, I left right before the housemaid went to investigate the garden.
That's a little suspicious, is it not?
Falcon, it is coincidental timing, maybe, but let's not throw out blind accusations.

How much did you charge the baron for your services?
That is quite a personal question. My rate varies according to the subject, the client, and the circumstances.
You are under oath, Monsieur Robinio.
Hold on, Falcon. Just because Monsieur Robinio is under oath doesn't mean that he has to answer every trivial question that you fling his way. Does his photography rate have anything to do with the, uh, case at hand?

No, I suppose it doesn't. I was just curious.
Hmph. Then maybe you ought to keep your curiosity to yourself while in the, um, courtroom.

Let's take a closer look at this photograph.

I was under the impression that photographs were flawless reproductions of reality. And yet, I see something that is totally at odds with reality. It is a glaring error. It's something that is so blatant, I am amazed it has been overlooked...
A... a glaring error?!
Impossible!
For you see, where as reality is in color...

Monsieur Falcon. You are quite the foolish luddite, aren't you? There is no mistake. All photographs are in black and white.
All of them?
Yes. It's a limitation of photographic technology.
Oh. Now I feel silly.

I would like to ask about the camera itself.
Go on.

How exactly does the camera work?
I am afraid that that is a patented trade secret.
Oh. But it is a mechanical device, yes? You point it at something, and then it clicks and whirrs, and out shoots a photograph?
Hmph. That's quite a crass explanation. It is true that I point and click the camera. But that only creates a negative. A prototype, of sorts. I then have to develop the photograph... and that takes time.
Ho much time, exactly?
Around four days. This photograph is hot off the press, if you will.
I suppose that does explain why the Baron hasn't received his photograph yet.

Can a camera ever make mistakes?
Hmph. Now there's a question only an imbecilic, technophobic philistine could ask. No, Monsieur. The camera is a flawless device. My photographs offer a perfect reflection of reality. Nothing more, nothing less.
So if there were an inconsistency between a photograph and reality, what would that imply?
An odd question. I don't think such a thing could ever be possible.
But if one were to see such a thing...
Falcon! Stop dancing around the point, and tell us what you are trying to get at.

I see a mistake in the photograph.
A mistake? Impossible! I just told you, Monsieur: The camera is a perfect, unbiased device. The photographs it produces are flawless!
Falcon, I'm not seeing any, uh, mistakes. Perhaps you could be more specific.
Certainly.

For those of you playing along at home, take a moment to point out the part of this photograph that's wrong.

The clock in this photograph... there is something not right about it.
Hmm, well isn't that convenient? The defense sees something wrong with the, uh, key piece of evidence that implicates his client.
Don't give me that cocky tone, Monsieur Rabbington! I have evidence that there's something wrong with the clock in that picture!

The photograph clearly shows the clock's hands pointing at seven and six.
That much is self-evident.

It... It has no hands?!
The clock is merely a decorative piece. A talking item. Feel free to ask Baron Rorgueil or his housemaid, if you have doubts. Monsieur Robinio, how do you explain this discrepancy?
I... I don't know! There must be some sosrt of mistake! My camera is flawless!
There is no mistake, monsieur. Your photograph depicts something that does not exist in the real world.
M-Maybe there was an error in the printing process...
An error precisely where the clock's hands should be? Please, monsieur, don't patronize us. Allow me to offer a more plausible explanation.

E-Edited?!
I'm no expert, but I suspect you used paint or ink to carefully put hands upon the clock! It would have been a simple task, considering that the clock face was bare. One could even speculate that you specifically chose to include a handless clock in the photograph just to simplify the editing process!
I... I...
Falcon, your reasoning is absurd! Why would the witness do such a thing?
Is it not obvious? By showing the photograph to have taken place at precisely seven thirty, it clears all the photograph's subjects of suspicion. In other words, Monsieur Robinio created a perfect alibi!
Of course, this raises further questions. Who is the witness protecting? And why? Was Monsieur Robinio coerced? Bribed? Threatened? Enough silence! Let's hear some answers, Monsieur Robinio!

You did it?! You're confessing to the murder of Monsieur Grenwee?
What? No, no, no. I have no idea who killed the frog. I'm just admitting that I'm guilty of producing fraudulent photographs. I was ordered to... make changes... to the printed photographs. And yes, that included adding hands to the clock.
You were ordered? By whom?
I... dare not say.
Monsieur Robinio, I strongly advise you to answer the defense's question. You have pledged to speak without fear, after all.
With respect, Judge, I fear... his claws... more than I fear the punishment of the justice system. I shall name no names.
"His claws"! Did you hear that, Falcon?
That is most unfortunate. Monsieur Robinio, we cannot and shall not torture names out of you. We don't live under the Ancien Régime, after all. But since you have admitted to falsifying evidence, then we cannot keep you on the stand as a witness. Take your leave. You shall be charged with perjury in due course.
I can't protest. That's the least I deserve for my failure as an artist. Good day, messieurs.

So the, uh, clock's hands were painted on. So what? It doesn't matter! The photograph still depicts Dame Caterline as absent close to the time of the murder. That's significant!
Don't be dense, Monsieur Rabbington. If the photoraph is not completely genuine, then it cannot be considered reliable evidence.
Why not? It's still a portrayal of the, uh, night's events.
Because, if we accept that one part of the picture was edited, then we must accpe the possibility that other parts were too. It is possible that Dame Caterline was painted out. Even worse, it is possible that another person was painted in. We know that the witness was trying to cover for someone, so all possibilities must be accounted for.
So what are you saying, Falcon? That the housemaid paid off the photographer? Or was it Seigneur Purtoir Demiaou, perhaps?
I don't think so. The housemaid lacks a means or motive. And it wouldn't make sense for Seigneur Purrtoir to implicate his own daughter.
Well, surely you're not suggesting that the honest and beloved baron Rorgueil deliberately tried to frame Dame Caterline? Because that would be the most outlandish theory yet. The baron is a pillar of our community! He would never do such a thing.
Monsieur Rabbington, I'm not here to throw accusations. That's the job of you, the prosecutor. However -

B-Baron! It's not, um, time for your witness testimony yet!

I-i-i-incompetence?
Indeed. Let us proceed with witness questioning. Is that fine with you, Judge?
Yes, I suppose that's fine.
Very good. And I trust that the defense has no objections.
No. No objections here.
Fantastic. Oh, but before I forget: I pledge to speak without fear and prejudice, et cetera, et cetera.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The soundtrack for this game is fantastic. Is there a list of the works featured?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

ultrafilter posted:

The soundtrack for this game is fantastic. Is there a list of the works featured?

Mostly Camille Saint-Saens' Le Carnaval des Animaux.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mostly, but not all. This piece is Gounod's "Funeral March of a Marionette", for instance.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

AJ_Impy posted:

When I heard that in the trailer, I realised what it was and laughed like heck. I'm not sure if it counts as a pun, but it felt pretty fitting, even if I think the piece of music itself was written after the timeline of the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ha! Of course he doesn't swear to tell the truth.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's kind of weird that the obvious mistake isn't that the clock was showing a single time. They even established in game that it takes ten minutes for an exposure. (Which makes the photobombing servant even more amusing).

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I was already curious about this game, but this has convinced me to buy it. It means I probably won't be reading the LP, at least not until I want to see all the endings, but thanks for doing it anyway.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

Well, surely you're not suggesting that the honest and beloved baron Rorgueil deliberately tried to frame Dame Caterline? Because that would be the most outlandish theory yet. The baron is a pillar of our community! He would never do such a thing.
Monsieur Rabbington, I'm not here to throw accusations. That's the job of you, the prosecutor.

Oh, burn.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

AJ_Impy posted:

And we have yet to hear the best song, also by Saint-Saens (but not from the Carnaval).

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Pennfalath posted:

And we have yet to hear the best song, also by Saint-Saens (but not from the Carnaval).

That one's in here too? Excellent.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

The initial dinner went magnificently. When the photographer arrived, Monsieur Grenwee left to visit the garden. Dame Caterline followed behind him moments later. Seigneur Purrtoir, Monsieur Robinio, and myself were engaged in conversation, so we paid her no mind. After the photographer had left, my housemaid left to go find Monsieur Grenwee and Dame Caterline. That would be when I heard her cry for help.
Thank you, Baron. I think we all know the story from there.
I would like to cross-examine the witness.
Do you doubt my integrity, garçon?
I'm just here to uncover the truth, baron.
Very well then. Hit me with your best shot. Let us establish with absolute certainty that I, Baron Rorgueil, am an honest man!
The defense may proceed with the cross-examination.

Baron Rorgueil, I would like to ask about the dinner you served that evening.
Very well. Ask away.

Now. About this red herring...
Yes. What about it?
I'm not sure. But I feel it is of vital importance to the case.
Falcon, I just want to, um, clarify this. Are you saying that you wish to pursue the red herring?

Yes. I wish to closely examine and question the piece of evidence that is overtly labeled as a red herring. This is the type of bird that I am. I see a trail that clearly veers away from my goal, but I follow it anyway. Perhaps the path leads to better things. Perhaps it leads to failure. What matters is that my curiosity is satisfied.
You're a strange bird, Falcon.

You don't gain or lose any favor with them.

Can we please return to the case at hand?

Earlier today we established that silverware was stolen from your residence prior to the banquet.
Indeed. I am aware of whom the culprit is, but I have decided not to press charges.
It is curious, then, that you decided to serve steak. It isn't what one would describe as "finger food", after all.
I don't know about that, Falcon. With the right attitude, all food can be finger food.
There is nothing curious about it. Seigneur Purtoir and Dame Caterline are vocal lovers of rare steak. I was merely suiting their needs.
Besides, what, um, other choice did the baron have, Falcon? Serve vegetable broth like a, um, common peasant?
Do be quiet, prosecutor. You sound ridiculous.
S-sorry, baron.

Baron Rorgueil, I have some questions about Monsieur Grenwee.
God rest his soul...

What was your relation to Monsieur Grenwee, prior to his demise?
We were business partners. Monsieur Grenwee, Seigneur Purrtoir Demiaou, and myself all owned a third share in an up-and-coming railway company.
Excuse the crassness of this question, but that means that you and Seigneur Purrtoir would now own half of the company each, correct?
Correct. I suppose that's a slight glimmer of benefit that arose from this foul situation. But, Monsieur, you must understand that Monsieur Grenwee and I were friends as much as we were business associates. I mourn the man's passing.
Of course.

Why did Monsieur Grenwee leave to visit the garden?
I believe he wanted some fresh air. The steak did not sit well with him, I fear.
Oh, I see. But that is quite coincidental timing, isn't it?
How so?
Well, Monsieur Grenwee felt sick and left the room just after the photographer arrived, and just before the murder occurred. One might draw a link between the food and the sickness.
Hold on, Falcon. Surely you aren't suggesting that, uh, Monsieur Grenwee's food was poisoned in some way?

No, no. There is nothing to indicate poisoning. I just found the timing somewhat puzzling.
There is nothing puzzling about it. Monsieur Grenwee always had a soft stomach. It's really no surprise that he couldn't keep down a good rare steak.

Baron Rorgueil, I have a couple questions about your housemaid, Couline Duhaut.

Does your housemaid smoke cigars?
Hm? Well that question came out of the, uh, left-field.
Definitely not. Mademoisselle Duhaut detests the smell of tobacco.
I see.
Putting together a bigger picture, are we?
I think so. The pieces are slowly falling into place.

Baron, we saw the murder scene, your garden, for ourselves.

If I may ask, what's with all the horses?
I beg your pardon?
There are all these horse and cherub statues in your garden. To be frank, we found the whole thing a little... weird.
Could the defense please stop horsing around? This can't possibly have any relevance to the case.

Neigh, your honor. It doesn't. But hay, you can't bray a man for trying.
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Baron Rorgueil, when was the last time you ventured into your own garden?
As it happens, I have quite serious allergies. I haven't been in my own garden for years.
Years, you say?
Indeed.

Baron, I do not wish to call you a liar, but that claim does not hold up to scrutiny.
Oh? And why's that?
Because we have hard evidence that you have visited the garden recently.
Balderdash! My word is gold. Show the court this so-called "hard evidence" that I've been in my garden!

This was found in your garden. To be specific, it was found inside the fountain basin...

A... a cigar butt?! That, uh, that, um, that could belong to, uh, anybody, and -
Prosecutor, please shut your mouth. I can speak for myself.
O-okay. Sorry, baron.
That is indeed the remnants of one of my cigars. But I must apologize, Monsieur Falcon, for I misunderstood your initial question. You see, prior to the banquet, I hadn't visited my own garden in years. But naturally, after hearing the housemaid's cry for help on the evening of the murder, I rushed outside. I was shocked and disgusted by what I saw. That must have been when I dropped my half-smoked cigar in the fountain basin.
You see, Falcon? There's a perfectly reasonable explanation!
I would find that believable if the cigar were casually discarded. But as it happened, the cigar butt was found in the fountain's upper basin. A location that could only be accessed with great inconvenience.
And a little paddling.
The cigar butt was not dropped. It was deliberately hidden.
There are any number of possible explanations.
Are there? Because I can only think of one. That is, that you, Baron Rorgueil, deliberately hid your cigar butt to disguise your own illicit activities.
Did I, now? And what illicit activities would those be?

Directly accusing me of mruder? How shamelessly brazen!
That is a ludicrous accusation, Falcon! The Baron is an upstanding citizen of the highest order! Your allegation is baseless! You have no evidence! No uh, means, motive, or opportunity!
No evidence? Think harder, Monsieur Rabbington. Every piece of evidence points to Baron Rorgueil as the prime suspect. You want the means? The Baron certainly had means. His lion's claws are as sharp as a surgeon's blade. Gutting a frog belly would be trivial to him. Even Monsieur Robinio confessed, just moments ago, that he feared "his claws"!
Ridiculous! I would never threaten a man with violence.
You want a motive? The Baron had at least ten thousand francs' worth of motive! By removing a business partner, the Baron's share of his railway company increased from one third to one half!
This is preposterous!
And finally, the Baron had an opportunity. No. He CRAFTED the perfect opportunity. He arranged a small banquet with a very select number of guests. He was aware of the missing silverware, and yet he served steak, a food item that necessitates good cutlery. Why? To bloody the hands of his guests, of course.
Then, he hired an easily-influenced photographer and staged a very specific picture in order to build a perfect alibi for himself. Photographing the guests in front of a handless clock to make for easy editing is quite an ingenious plan, it must be said.
Prosecutor, are you going to let this slanderous yarn go uncontested? Say something! Object!
I, uh, um...
Oh, you're pitifully useless.
After executing the murder, the baron found himself still holding a single piece of incriminatory evidence: his finished cigar. He knew that leaving it at the crime scene would raise suspicion, but he didn't have time to properly dispose of it. So, out of desperation, he threw it into his fountain, out of the sight of his guests and any snooping police.
I imagine the baron was hoping to implicate Seigneur Purrtoir Demiaou, since that would ensure total control over his railway company. Alas, Dame Caterline was the first to happen upon the crime scene. So the baron improvised.
This is an outrage! Judge, I demand that you disbar this ranting lunatic!
No! There is only one outrage here!

You're a bourgeois of the worst kind!
How dare you, garçon! The utter nerve for a lying scumbag of a lawyer to accuse a philanthropist like myself for something so heinous! I'm nothing like the fat-cat bourgeois! I'm a respectable, hard-working capitalist!
No! You're a ruthless man who would slaughter a dear friend just to reap a few francs!
You incredulous whelp! I ought to gut you right here and now like... like...

Could... could someone please restrain the Baron?
I'm on it, ya' honor! Let's go, old man. To the Conciergerie with you.

This is quite a turn of events. Does the prosecution have anything to add?
I, uh, well, in a manner of, um, speaking, ah, uh, well, to be honest, um... No.
Then I shall now confer with the members of the jury to come to a decision. I ask that the animals of the court please be patient in this time.

Thank you. I just hope it was enough.
What do you mean? You just proved Caterline's innocence! We'll get a not guilty verdict for sure.
Hmm... Sparrowson, I think you've misunderstood something important about the justice system.
What's that?
I haven't "proved" anything. As lawyers, we cannot deal in proofs. It's just not possible. All we can do is organize the evidence, and convincingly explain what it suggests. I haven't proved Dame Caterline's innocence. All I have done is demonstrate that there is a significant possibility that she is not guilty.
I'm not sure that I understand the difference...

In light of the recent revelations, it is clear that an error of judgement was made with the initial arrest. On that note, we unanimously find the defendent, Dame Caterline Demiaou, to be...

Yeah, I suppose we did, didn't we?
We should head back to the office so we can celebrate properly.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

I like that the game admits that nothing has been proven-- just that reasonable doubt has been instilled. And I feel like that will come into play later, since it was specifically pointed out.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What I wonder is why the Baron couldn't just bring the cigar butt with him back to the house and dispose of it there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Saint-Saens' Bacchanal as the turnabout music. Very nice!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

What I wonder is why the Baron couldn't just bring the cigar butt with him back to the house and dispose of it there.

The sort of person who's just executed a murder with a frame already in place is not the sort to second-guess their own decisions, even in a moment of crisis.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Betting Seigneur Purtoir (had to c/p that good lord) put him up to it though.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

AJ_Impy posted:

That one's in here too? Excellent.

I was talking about the one we heard in this update, the Turnabout music / Bacchanal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjn4z03WetQ. The one you're referring to won't be heard for a great while yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Bumping the next post over to page 2.

• Locked thread