Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

tooterfish posted:

Star Citizen: A solid roadmap would place unfair expectations onto the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Also there should be red alert sirens blaring so loud other galaxies pick them up at a project that is "too dynamic" for roadmaps years into development and after a "significant portion of gameplay was released" in the form of their PTU Parkinson's Physics™ tech demo.

You know those secret phrases in letters from your old workplace. "He had no troubles socializing with his comrades" = "He was a lazy gently caress who never did anything any only chatted with his friends".

Really this is the same in a way.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
I'm glad that it's safe to poo poo on star citizen on something awful again. I remember the minority of goons that said its loving stupid to preorder a hundred bux + JPEG getting probated and banned and run off to gbs. If anyone has any goon true believers or that spread sheet that showed the hundreds of thousands goons dropped on pretend video game space ships they would be great to see again for a giggle.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ether posted:

Why is there something casting a shadow next to the spacemans head?
I haven't seen a video with GoPro Hero SPACEPARP EDITION mounted on helmets yet there is something casting a shadow there.

I'm glad of it though, otherwise I would have been a true victim to immerse the 'verse.

Star Spacemans have giant loving flashlights strapped to the sides of their heads because CROBBERTS PRIME saw a cool movie about a bunch of SpaceToughs who had stuff like that on their helmets and decided it was a cool idea.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

dogsupremacy posted:

I'm glad that it's safe to poo poo on star citizen on something awful again. I remember the minority of goons that said its loving stupid to preorder a hundred bux + JPEG getting probated and banned and run off to gbs. If anyone has any goon true believers or that spread sheet that showed the hundreds of thousands goons dropped on pretend video game space ships they would be great to see again for a giggle.

Don't hold a grudge against those goons my friend. They either converted and are now cool posters or they will loose all their money when this thing crashes.

:justpost:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're right, it's not the best idea. The best idea is to do all of that as soon as you get funding.

Ask me how I knew that link was battletech even before I finished reading the post.

HBS is pretty great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Illegal Move posted:

Ignoring everything else that's wrong about what he said, how exactly is it unfair for the community to expect features form the developers two years after they were supposed to be released? Like in what world is it unfair for me to expect a product that I've paid for?

In the world of Cloud Imperium Games, of course. A world run by Chris Roberts, a man with a history of overpromising and then utterly failing to deliver on those promises. It's only natural that within Roberts Reality Distortion Field the idea that the developers are beholden to the people who have funded them should be inconceivable. The best part is that Kraiklyn isn't even a developer. He's a CS rep.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In the world of Cloud Imperium Games, of course. A world run by Chris Roberts, a man with a history of overpromising and then utterly failing to deliver on those promises. It's only natural that within Roberts Reality Distortion Field the idea that the developers are beholden to the people who have funded them should be inconceivable. The best part is that Kraiklyn isn't even a developer. He's a CS rep.

It's the mentality of a lot of modders for games like Minecraft and Skyrim.
So really, Croberts is nothing but a dirty amateur who got too much money.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Okay serious?
This is an actual dev response?

HOW? I... gently caress.

This is CIG in a nutshell and I love the vocal backers actually buy this excuse. I think all of us here knows that for any project big or small, videogame making or not, a roadmap is one of the first things you should make, but not in CIGs case and apparently not a lot of their backers.

I feel fairly sure saying that a lot of CIG's developers would probably love a roadmap and some clear goals. Which makes me wonder what they fear most. Crobberts coming over to micromanage them or Crobberts doing yet another 104C, promising new insane features, that the have to drop whatever they were working on, to start on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Atreiden posted:

I feel fairly sure saying that a lot of CIG's developers would probably love a roadmap and some clear goals. Which makes me wonder what they fear most. Crobberts coming over to micromanage them or Crobberts doing yet another 104C, promising new insane features, that the have to drop whatever they were working on, to start on.

Aww… look at you thinking he doesn't consistently do both at once. :shobon:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
One must be reminded no-one is actually recording all the insane bullshit they have promised and all the Open Development is roleplaying designing a game. The LARP'ing of game development.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL

I posted it in the brown sea
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/48gfrk/second_most_funded_kickstarter_runs_out_of_cash/

e:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 1, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

dogsupremacy posted:

There is a proverb in my country that the basic moral is "poor people should be extremely weary of too much generosity" and it has never failed me.

Some of you claim that in the beginning no one could have seen this coming but come on! Even before they reached 10 million you could tell that some of that poo poo couldn't be made with that budget. In retrospect it's funny that the only moment that I believed Chris Roberts was actually trying to deliver what he promised was, believe it or not, when I watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE

I saw it all from beginning to end and I felt such intense fremdschamen that I just couldn't conceive that someone would knowingly subject themselves to such public humiliation. poo poo, I've worked in software for 2 decades and on two occasions I had presentations explode spectacularly and no mater what I tried it just kept crashing. In both occasions I got to the office, and everything was working fine. In one I called the customer, returned to his office and we had a good laugh about it and in the other the guys behaved like complete assholes and I had to take their abuse with a smile and an apology for comercial reasons. I fondly remember the day their company blew up in a scandal of misappropriation of funds and tax evasion.
The thing is that sort of thing can happen and I just couldn't bring myself to accept that someone would knowingly present a piece of poo poo that they knew beforehand would crash spectacularly, would they?

Then a couple of weeks later came another failed delivery date for Star Marine and yet another "guys we're just doing the final polish but we can't show you anything right now but it's coming soon I promise" load of poo poo and I knew Chris Roberts wasn't just deluded, he was actually lying out of his rear end.

At least that's the way I see IT...

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Michaellaneous posted:

It's the mentality of a lot of modders for games like Minecraft and Skyrim.
So really, Croberts is nothing but a dirty amateur who got too much money.

Well if you're a modder who isn't being paid anything then it's a reasonable mentality. You're not a professional, you're not doing this full time, and unless you're the type of person who works best under pressure then telling people what to expect won't provide any real benefit. This is also why Mike Tipul (Enemy Starfighter) can do whatever the hell he wants. CIG, however, is backer funded and is also on record saying that they would treat the backers with the same respect they would apply towards a publisher. If a low-level CS rep went on record saying that the publisher was being unfair by demanding a roadmap and holding the developers to expectations, that CS rep would get shitcanned. I hope that doesn't happen here but it is a pretty unpleasant insight into just how poorly CIG views their own customers.

poo poo, in my field we don't even get a dollar until we've roadmapped the entire project from start to finish.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This isn't something this guy made up either it is something that Croberts himself promised. Every ship, every weapon, every piece of armor in the game is going to be tracked so that realistic wear can be seen on it.

lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

Star Citizen: A solid roadmap would place unfair expectations onto the developers.

Mods?!

Hey Derek Smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART you can edit the threat title can't you? Make this happen.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 1, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well if you're a modder who isn't being paid anything then it's a reasonable mentality. You're not a professional, you're not doing this full time, and unless you're the type of person who works best under pressure then telling people what to expect won't provide any real benefit. This is also why Mike Tipul (Enemy Starfighter) can do whatever the hell he wants. CIG, however, is backer funded and is also on record saying that they would treat the backers with the same respect they would apply towards a publisher. If a low-level CS rep went on record saying that the publisher was being unfair by demanding a roadmap and holding the developers to expectations, that CS rep would get shitcanned. I hope that doesn't happen here but it is a pretty unpleasant insight into just how poorly CIG views their own customers.

poo poo, in my field we don't even get a dollar until we've roadmapped the entire project from start to finish.

Sorry I actually meant that the ideas and what the modder does is above anything ever said by those people who cannot mod a lovely block-based game.

We should be happy the graced us with their perfection.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Michaellaneous posted:

Sorry I actually meant that the ideas and what the modder does is above anything ever said by those people who cannot mod a lovely block-based game.

We should be happy the graced us with their perfection.

Oh. Yeah gently caress those people.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

These people have a lot more influence over a video game media outlet than a politician does over a newspaper reporting about them (in countries where there's a free media, obviously) and they have no moral compunctions whatsoever.

Here's a bit of effortpost contrasting journalisms:

In political reporting, the symbiotic relationship with their subjects is closer the higher up the chain you go, as in journalist > editor > proprietor. These days you normally include the political media in the political class because their audience is often also the political class. Hence their stunned fury when their reportage is directly questioned on twitter by a member of the public, one was so furious here in Australia he posted a major editorial in a newspaper about the 'cultural Marxists' he suspects his twitter opponents of being (he is the head of political reporting for the major non-commercial TV channel here that usually gets accused of being full of lefties by the right-wing government. That's how weird it's getting). This is beyond any consequences from being shut out by politicians which these days has devolved to threats from minders, which are just as real. Moral compunctions are imaginary on all levels, even if it weren't obvious that political journalists still think they're objective when they're anything but.

TL;DR journalists do not like being contradicted or even questioned, so ingrained is their fantasy of being the Objective Middle. The other well-known "imaginary observer" gambit is horse-race journalism (you might know it by the American term He said-She said) which will be by far the most comment style when this story does break, because they're going to deny they knew the facts ahead of time, also very very common in political reporting.

Now the gaming press is light years away from even that kind of imaginary freedom but they persist in the very same justifications because they want to be seen as Real Journalists too, and they probably need them to maintain some sanity. So my problem with Klyth's points are related:

Klyith posted:

5) What good does it do?

6) No one wants to be the bearer of bad news.

5 is possibly the only decent excuse you could give, but it doesn't work because journalists don't care about the consequences for anyone in any story unless its for them. The consequence being no more product to review, big fat subpoenas etc. To be fair, I'd say it's management and editors rejecting dangerous stories than journalists proposing them by now. I'm imagining "But couldn't we just say THIS...No!, a hundred times.

6 fails because Bad News Sells. Bad News Is Sexy. That's journalism 101. The Bad News will sell, they want to sell it, but until it's safe to do so, they can't sell it. Once it's no longer Bad News for them, of course the floodgates will open. So what if it's bad news for nerds? Let's report the spiking suicide rate then. See how it works?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

This isn't something this guy made up either it is something that Croberts himself promised. Every ship, every weapon, every piece of armor in the game is going to be tracked so that realistic wear can be seen on it.

lol

They promised t-shirts would age, it's in an old jump point magazine I think.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It'll be fun when everyone says that those nerds killed themselves because of us.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

It'll be fun when everyone says that those nerds killed themselves because of us.
Wouldn't be the first time SA's been credited with murder-suicides.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The Kins posted:

Wouldn't be the first time SA's been credited with murder-suicides.

Oh I am not saying that but I am sure religious mass suicide is not on our rap-sheet yet.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

ewe2 posted:

Here's a bit of effortpost contrasting journalisms:

In political reporting, the symbiotic relationship with their subjects is closer the higher up the chain you go, as in journalist > editor > proprietor. These days you normally include the political media in the political class because their audience is often also the political class. Hence their stunned fury when their reportage is directly questioned on twitter by a member of the public, one was so furious here in Australia he posted a major editorial in a newspaper about the 'cultural Marxists' he suspects his twitter opponents of being (he is the head of political reporting for the major non-commercial TV channel here that usually gets accused of being full of lefties by the right-wing government. That's how weird it's getting). This is beyond any consequences from being shut out by politicians which these days has devolved to threats from minders, which are just as real. Moral compunctions are imaginary on all levels, even if it weren't obvious that political journalists still think they're objective when they're anything but.

TL;DR journalists do not like being contradicted or even questioned, so ingrained is their fantasy of being the Objective Middle. The other well-known "imaginary observer" gambit is horse-race journalism (you might know it by the American term He said-She said) which will be by far the most comment style when this story does break, because they're going to deny they knew the facts ahead of time, also very very common in political reporting.

Now the gaming press is light years away from even that kind of imaginary freedom but they persist in the very same justifications because they want to be seen as Real Journalists too, and they probably need them to maintain some sanity. So my problem with Klyth's points are related:

5 is possibly the only decent excuse you could give, but it doesn't work because journalists don't care about the consequences for anyone in any story unless its for them. The consequence being no more product to review, big fat subpoenas etc. To be fair, I'd say it's management and editors rejecting dangerous stories than journalists proposing them by now. I'm imagining "But couldn't we just say THIS...No!, a hundred times.

6 fails because Bad News Sells. Bad News Is Sexy. That's journalism 101. The Bad News will sell, they want to sell it, but until it's safe to do so, they can't sell it. Once it's no longer Bad News for them, of course the floodgates will open. So what if it's bad news for nerds? Let's report the spiking suicide rate then. See how it works?

Chris Uhlmann's nationally circulated "The JEWS are destroying America through my twitter feed! :freep: rant was indeed pretty loving weird and hilarious.:allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In 2.2g news (which you can't play because you're not a PTU player), the Constellation turrets are more functional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7i0qfMHzs

i still love the super tiny viewport

and terrible sound effects. pew pew

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh I am not saying that but I am sure religious mass suicide is not on our rap-sheet yet.

If we had been mocking Heaven's Gate months before they went to the mothership would that have made it our fault?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i still love the super tiny viewport

and terrible sound effects. pew pew

I just realized why the viewports are so small. Star Citizen really has embraced the "turrets in space" flight model that they've had for years. They won't do anything about it. What you see is truly what you get. That flight model is entirely about maximizing the amount of time your reticule is on target and your shots hit. Nothing else matters. Maneuvering, chasing, etc, none of it does much compared to simply facing your target and shooting. Obstructing your field of view is the only way to really provide any kind of variety between starships in that form of combat. Particularly for turrets.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

If we had been mocking Heaven's Gate months before they went to the mothership would that have made it our fault?

Yeah.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/48fil5/there_is_a_lesson_to_be_learned_from_shady_launch/

Choices mater. No refunds. :a2m:

e: I mean c'mon, "you're worried what you can get into if you don't read the TOS" is some serious "famous last words" poo poo.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 1, 2016

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

You know those secret phrases in letters from your old workplace. "He had no troubles socializing with his comrades" = "He was a lazy gently caress who never did anything any only chatted with his friends".

Really this is the same in a way.

"dynamic" means "there's a chance that whatever we are working on will be scrapped at a moment's notice or we will be reassigned to work on procedurally generated birds or whatever other mad poo poo Chris Roberts has said yes to lately"

Michaellaneous posted:

Don't hold a grudge against those goons my friend. They either converted and are now cool posters or they will loose all their money when this thing crashes.

:justpost:

Some (one) of them got a refund then bought back in to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It's definitely the customer that has be informed 100% of the time. Not the other way around.

e:

alphabettitouretti posted:

Some (one) of them got a refund then bought back in to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Life is not black and white and I expect people to understand this. There are always those black sheeps.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 1, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

And yet they somehow managed to get there. Let's not mock scientology, god knows those guys are nuts.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Okay serious?
This is an actual dev response?

HOW? I... gently caress.

I was laughing it off until I realised this was an actual dev. Holy loving poo poo. No roadmap while you're in alpha already????

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

At least, unlike doobie, no goon has sacrificed their children's christmas to donate money to Crobber & Co. However, with doobie the business was real, even though there was a chance your money went toward an oven hood (aka new rims for the doob's truck).

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Iglocska posted:

I was laughing it off until I realised this was an actual dev. Holy loving poo poo. No roadmap while you're in alpha already????

It's no really an alpha.
Then again you shouldn't have anything without a roadmap.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/48de3k/am_i_on_acid_or_did_cr_just_say_theres_gonna_be/

:itwaspoo:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

CIG has partnered with Garmin to make a special edition GPS.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Sure, and they also have a very well-grounded fear of fast-moving objects, against which something as precise and easily directed as a laser would work wonders. That said, I don't remember off the top of my head if they were going for proper laser-based destruction or if it was more a case of blinding the sensors of incoming missiles, or if it was a case of what they were aiming for in some earlier SDI designs.

Early SDI explored the use of lasers, but found that beam divergence and scattering due to the atmosphere rendered it difficult to maintain on the target over serious distances. The pinnacle was the MIRACL laser that they tested out at white sands. ICBMs tend to use inertial navigation, so no sensors.

Towards the end of SDI, they were concentrating more on the light fast interceptor model that eventually became patriot and 'iron dome'.

Tippis posted:

the hit would cause fragments to explode off the point of impact, and these fragments were the real source of damage that would destroy or deflect the ordnance.

Again, the thermal effects have to be concentrated on a particular area to have the effect you need, and they found it wavered too much to be used in any serious manner, and the UN specifically banned the use of lasers against enemy troops quite a while back. The American Army came up with a laser rifle intended to blind enemy troops and the UN said 'hell no'. Mind you, they said the same about cluster munitions.

Edit: Now, kinetics....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ZqfEJTGzw

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 1, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Meanwhile, somewhere over at the international community...

Translated excerpts of international cultists echo chambers ensuing the latest 104TC

(note: THC means Top Head Cultist, bolded comments between [ ] are my own commentary)

"We shall see massive battles - Any shortcomings are only ours or our PC´s fault - Or about the wonderful instancing system I have in my head"

quote:

Loyal Cultist 1 asks: I have a doubt now when reading [THC1´s translation of 104TC] question 6. As far as I understand (or rather what I understood from THC3 in [THC2]´s podcast), worlds will be generated procedurally with "seeds". If a player does something that changes the environment (i.e. fire a missile to a hill and carve a piece out), this will generate a Delta that then needs to be communicated to the rest of players. The thing is, if there are two players in different instances in the same location, will the second instance player be affected by the crater created by the first player? I mean, will the crater load in the second players screen automatically just like that?

THC2 answers: Yes [of course], although the second player will also probably even see the explosion.

On the instancing subject: Chris says it very clearly [so pay heed you lowly minion], we will have massive battles but "segmented" in various transparent instances that communicate among themselves, but when it comes to a given player, he/she will only see the part of the battle that is relevant for him/her, i.e. the ship or ships that he/she is attacking or that are attacking him/her. This is not due to the server being unable to manage that amount of data [god forbid, no], but due to your PC being unable to render 300 or 400 ships [SC is here to save the PC master race but your PC is not worthy, you minion] irrespective of any LOD that is used.

THC1 also chips in on the massive battles thingy: The problem is in our client [in case your lowly-ness wasnt clear, you sucker], not the connection but because of rendering. Your computer cant render thousands of players in a city or hundreds of ships in combat without a huge drop in FPS. The game can be optimized, but at this humongous level of graphic quality miracles can´t happen [chuckles, come on, dont be silly now]. That is why they say that the bottleneck won´t be them, but us XD [bow now, you are still not worthy]. As technology improves we will probably see larger battles, otherwise this is going to be an FPS drop fest."

Miracles can´t happen. So true.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Iglocska posted:

no that guy is not a dev, he was at first in the Customer Support department then now I think he is the community whatever cig wants to call it

• Locked thread