Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piso Mojado

Doc Friday posted:

I suppose I ought to be posting more often.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What about :thumbsup: or :yeah:?

Yeah is a pretty good one, but thumbsup is a sarcastic emote!

Cool dog approves:

Matoi Ryuko

Doc Friday posted:

I will post with you, buddy!

guns for tits

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I will post with you, buddy!

That's all fine by me.

FluffieDuckie

hello there :wave:

so nice of you all to drop by

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Bad Seafood

If you must blink, do it now.
What are the haps.

Matoi Ryuko

Bad Seafood posted:

What are the haps.

We like to post here! About whatever! You know how it goes. Life's a bit slower in the 'yob.

alnilam

Doc Friday posted:

Bad Seafood posted:

What are the haps.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does the thread rule apply to mod lurkers? Murkers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkFM7CRMHXY

hi new freinds!

alhazred, i should point out that not liking physics is a permabannable offense, but i'll assume that some meanie bought that av for you

ty manifisto

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

hello people and lurkers!

hi how are you ♥

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

alnilam posted:

hi new freinds!

alhazred, i should point out that not liking physics is a permabannable offense, but i'll assume that some meanie bought that av for you

I have a PhD in Physics, so I think I'm qualified to feel about it however I want. But yeah, that was bought by someone else.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FluffieDuckie

oh you and alnilam can talk doctor stuff. he just got his in something science-y

Brexit the Frog

FluffieDuckie posted:

oh you and alnilam can talk doctor stuff. he just got his in something science-y

talkin' doc in the 'yob

sick!

FluffieDuckie

bwee's a brain scientist doctor and husky dilf is a medical doctor. we've got quite the little collection of doctors started

Furia

I'm not doc yet but I'm thinking about it! Can I participate anyways?

Also, any maths people itt?

you just have to believe in yourself, there's a little skeleton inside of us all

FluffieDuckie

oh and captain nomates (rip) is a doctor. again, something science-y

you can tell my eyes glaze over when people start using science words

FluffieDuckie

Furia posted:

this is byob. everyone can always participate

MrWillsauce

FluffieDuckie posted:

you can tell my eyes glaze over when people start using science words

same here lol

Montalvo

hi I'm a space doctor

Furia

Montalvo posted:

hi I'm a space doctor

cool! what was your space thesis about?

you just have to believe in yourself, there's a little skeleton inside of us all

MrWillsauce

hey can one of you physics guys explain to me why I can't own a laser pistol yet? Like, we have the technology, right? I want a freakin energy blaster, I mean if I can go out and buy an assault rifle or a concealed handgun, why not? It'd be wicked.

Furia

MrWillsauce posted:

hey can one of you physics guys explain to me why I can't own a laser pistol yet? Like, we have the technology, right? I want a freakin energy blaster, I mean if I can go out and buy an assault rifle or a concealed handgun, why not? It'd be wicked.

Well, as I understand (warning: not a good science person) to fire a laser you need to use a crystal that concentrates light. If you tried to increase the output of the laser such that it can actually hurt people, the crystal would crack and the pistol would break.

Also, you'd need a gigantic battery pack, I think. Again, not a science person.

FluffieDuckie

i was going to say battery but i have an mba in finance/entreprenureal studies and must have been absent the day we learned about lasers

MrWillsauce

hmm, okay, but what about like a sick-rear end plasma gun?

FluffieDuckie

missed that day too

i partied a lot in college

MrWillsauce

hmm... how about like... a gun that shoots rainbows... poo poo I dunno

guns for tits

I know my username says otherwise, but I am not a doctor.

FluffieDuckie

Doc Friday posted:

I know my username says otherwise, but I am not a doctor.

contrary to what you might have heard, you do not need a phd to post here

Bad Seafood

If you must blink, do it now.
Usernames can be deceptive.

MrWillsauce

yeah I'm not actually married

Brexit the Frog

i'm not actually a major league baseball man

bog pixie

Furia posted:

I have a degree in math but I don't use it except for occasional tutoring

bog pixie

I love a good proof though

City of Glompton

my council members are going to be really bummed out when they learn the news

I love cats

FluffieDuckie posted:

good morning i love cats!

your user name is absolutely begging for a cat av. have you considered one?

I used to have one. Then, I posted dick pics in FYAD, aaaand it was gone.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 1, 2016

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

MrWillsauce posted:

In terms of whether you could create one and afford to get it, it's mostly a matter of batteries, as people have hinted, as well as size of instrument and keeping focus. You can already get a pen-sized laser pointer which can permanently blind someone if you point it at their eye long enough, but that is because you are pointing at something light-sensitive anyway (your retina). The Russians had a prototype for that for use in space against satellite sensors. Thing is, you need to keep it focused, and it also has to create and maintain a strong enough beam. Laser rifles are probably not as far away.

That being said, for most of your applications, pound for pound you can't really beat the old fashioned encapsulated projectile weapon, namely guns since after the American Civil War or whenever they stopped carrying the powder separate. You are not likely to be able to aim very well in the distances where the differences between them matter, and it doesn't spread over long distances in the atmosphere. Current applications seem to be specific to situations where the difference in speed between a bullet and light matter, like in missile defense.

----------------

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

alnilam posted:

hi new freinds!

Frankly I'm sick of physics keeping me down. I don't care who knows it.

MrWillsauce

alright but how about instead of a lead bullet, it's like a bolt of pure energy that explodes when it hits someone and turns them to goop?

Brexit the Frog

MrWillsauce posted:

pure energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjWgEXktsUw

MrWillsauce

wtf haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

MrWillsauce posted:

alright but how about instead of a lead bullet, it's like a bolt of pure energy that explodes when it hits someone and turns them to goop?

Lead is as much pure energy as anything else is. E=mc2. :shrug:

To be less flippant, there really isn't such a thing as pure energy: energy is just an expression of something that is conserved when an isolated system changes form or behavior.

If you want a projectile that explodes on impact, there are already HE rounds available.

----------------