Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I've been an avid hiker for years and, having been a college instructor for a number of years, people always tell me I should teach hiking classes in my spare time. My usual response is to look at them and blink, confused about what that would entail. I think about it at times while hiking, but short of a few basic tips that one can easily find online, I'm typically left laughing to the notion of a class where people learn "It puts the right foot in front of the left foot, transfers weight, then...". :razz: Which leads to two questions:

1. What are people hoping to learn when they go to a course?

2. What do people find they actually learn when taking these courses?

I would take a climbing course to ensure basic belay safety, or a skiing course to get a streamlined intro, or a scuba diving course to be told appropriate levels at which to swim without blowing up my blood vessels. But three hours on 'how to hike' or 'how to snowshoe'... I don't understand.

Goon friend did some stuff with the mountaineers in Seattle and I've not heard him complaining(*). I went to one of their public events, and their online events calendar reveals when you can show up and get info. There's a Meet the Mteers on Monday, Feb 22, at 18:30.

(*) Either a lack of complaints or sufficient Koolaid.

I was mostly referring to more of a wilderness survival or first aid course. I'm an avid hiker and outdoorsman so I know backpacking and hiking, but learning how to build fire (mostly practicing it) and what do to in a medical scenario would be worth taking a course in ... not say hiking for funnies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Cycling is insanely gear- and performance-oriented, it's really not that much fun if all your buddies care about is shaving off grams from their bikes. By comparison I find backpacking to be way better even though gear is still very important. This is a silly generalization but I feel like many hikers/backpackers are into their hobby for better reasons than cyclists.

Like other I do both, but I am avowed gear whore so there is that. But hiking in running shorts or tights is the loving bomb.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Go for it. My school has an entire bachelor's degree based on "how to be good at being outside".

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Levitate posted:

That's a great area, loved it in the Evolution Basin. Are you going in over Bishop Pass?

Strong possibility - those permits are going fast though, trying to get a general plan in order.

I am also looking into Taboose Pass Trail, however the elevation gain is intimidating especially since I'm not very experienced carrying back-packing gear. Sabrina Lake is a maybe. The person I'll be with is great at cross-country navigation (I suffer NSOD - no sense of direction) and she mentioned somehow going over the Glacier Divide (Snow-tongue Pass is what I recall) and being in the Mt. Goethe area for awhile.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Go for it. My school has an entire bachelor's degree based on "how to be good at being outside".

This is how my school's outdoor programs coordinator got into it. He started as a psych major, realized after taking all of these wilderness [thing] classes that he'd completed most of the requirements for the degree, and went off to become a mountain guide. It's my fallback plan if "Ph.D. in Economics" doesn't work out.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Strong possibility - those permits are going fast though, trying to get a general plan in order.

I am also looking into Taboose Pass Trail, however the elevation gain is intimidating especially since I'm not very experienced carrying back-packing gear. Sabrina Lake is a maybe. The person I'll be with is great at cross-country navigation (I suffer NSOD - no sense of direction) and she mentioned somehow going over the Glacier Divide (Snow-tongue Pass is what I recall) and being in the Mt. Goethe area for awhile.

From what I know snow-tongue pass is a pretty tough cross country pass especially if there is still snow but if you're going with someone experienced who can lead the way then hopefully it won't be bad.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
When you forget that Yosemite reservations are last week and not next week, and then literally everything is gone for the first few months of the season.

:negative:

Ok I think I got confused because the season for most of the sites is now July 14th? When do reservations for August open up?

cheese fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 21, 2016

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

cheese posted:

When you forget that Yosemite reservations are last week and not next week, and then literally everything is gone for the first few months of the season.

:negative:

Ok I think I got confused because the season for most of the sites is now July 14th? When do reservations for August open up?

Depends if you mean backcountry permits, or Valley Floor campgrounds, as the dates for each differ. See below:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Depends if you mean backcountry permits, or Valley Floor campgrounds, as the dates for each differ. See below:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Ya thanks, I just got confused.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
So I'm going to have a chance to visit Peru in October and see Maccu Picchu. I know we're taking the train there, not the 4 four day trail, but I think we're planning to do some hiking as well - maybe day hikes or an overnight hike. I go to the gym twice a week but I don't hike, so I need to start preparing for Peru soon - at least break in some hiking shoes and pick a good backpack and so forth. I live in the Ozarks, so there's plenty of hilly trails around me but how should I begin? Just go to an outdoor store and get some shoes and then go out? What advice do you guys have for a total newbie?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Here's one bit (there's plenty more): Please please make sure your shoes / boots fit properly. If you have the best constructed boots there are, but the fit is bad, they can wind up cutting your feet to ribbons. Don't try to do this on your own, or by mail order; find a store (e.g., an REI store) where there are some people who know how to fit hiking shoes / boots.

Relatedly, you'll want to know more about, and tell the poeple at the store, exactly how much (and what kind of) hiking you'll be doing, because it will impact the gear (including pack and shoes) you need.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's basically it. Consider trail running shoes over boots. A lot of hikers are ditching boots for trail running shoes as they're much lighter and it makes a big difference when you're taking 30k steps per day. I still like Merrell Moab mid boots.

Ideally an rei or ems store would be better than a sports authority or dicks but I guess it depends on what you have nearby. The sales staff are usually a little more knowledgeable and helpful at a dedicated outdoor store.

Just start looking into trails around you and try it out. Build up your distance over time.

One thing you can't really train for will be the altitude. Being in good physical shape will help but it affects everyone differently so just try to give yourself time to acclimate when you get there. Altitude sickness isn't fun so just read up on it and be mindful of the symptoms.

That's a bucket list trip for me. Well probably try to do it in the next year or two.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

What advice do you guys have for a total newbie?
Until then, just go on lots of hikes in some hills. Get used to being on your feet all day. This is the only way you can be sure that your shoes will be good ahead of time.

When you get your tickets to Machu Picchu I recommend also buying the pass to hike up either Huayna Picchu or the Montaña.

Montaña has views like this on the way up:

Conversely Huayna Picchu takes you along the sharp ridge and the mountain that you are looking at from this picture.

More info here:
http://theonlyperuguide.com/peru-guide/machu-picchu/additional-hikes/machu-picchu-mountain/
http://theonlyperuguide.com/peru-guide/machu-picchu/additional-hikes/guide-hiking-huayna-picchu/

Whimskey
Jul 4, 2007

There were some good recommendations for backpacking food a few pages ago, but does anyone have any experience with cooking for a group? I'm going on a two-night trip with 8 people, myself included. The guy who's organizing the trip said he has one night covered but asked the rest of the group to do a communal dinner the other night. We're all doing our own things for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Any advice?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
You could do freezer bag cooking to the max, just extrapolate all the quantities and get a couple of big freezer bags. Boil a couple of batches of water, toss it in, stir, let it sit for 15 minutes, stir. Everyone brings a plate and a spoon, done!

Other option, temperature permitting, is bringing a vacuum-sealed bag with a casserole-like dish you prepared at home. That's just meat, veg and potatoes floating in some kind of sauce. There's plenty of recipes. Downside is you'll need a vacuum machine at home and you'll have to bring some kind of pot to heat it in.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Whimskey posted:

There were some good recommendations for backpacking food a few pages ago, but does anyone have any experience with cooking for a group? I'm going on a two-night trip with 8 people, myself included. The guy who's organizing the trip said he has one night covered but asked the rest of the group to do a communal dinner the other night. We're all doing our own things for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Any advice?

Yes! Here's a few of my favorite cheap and easy recommendations. Basically just buy the ingredients and toss them all in a big enough pot and heat up over your stove. Stir frequently since the bottom heat is so direct. Everything you can buy at any big box grocery store. Scale up according to number of people/appetite

Thanksgiving Dinner:
-Pouch/can of Chicken (usually near tuna at grocery store)
-Bag of 1$ Instant mashed potatoes, any flavor
-Can of mixed veggies, corn
-Can of cranberry sauce for garnish
-Generic box of stuffing
-Season to taste (I love soul food seasoning on mine)
-Package of Hawaiian rolls on the side
-Add water amount allocated for potatoes and stuffing and heat that up to a boil first. Then add chicken, veggies, for a minute and then add potatoes and stuffing mix. Stir up and heat till everything is hot and steamy. Dish out and serve with some cranberry sauce on top for maximum delicious.

Easy Chili:
-Pouch of Tasty Bites Madras Lentils
-Can of corn
-Pouch/canned chicken
-Fried onions topping
-cheddar cheese to flavor (eg chop up block of it, never goes bad

Snacketize with crackers and cheese and summer sausage, easy to spread around

Breakfast with reeses in pancake batter, cook up some bacon, coffee with nestle tasters choice. Breakfast burritos are also awesome for feeding a lot of breakfast, just bring tortillas, southwest egg beaters in a carton, salsa, and some bacon and cheese, and you've got yourself a feast!

Frozen meals suck and are expensive. You can get shelf stable pre cooked bacon, or if it's cold, bring the real deal and egg beaters. The rest of this stuff is shelf stable, easy, cheap to scale, and freaking delicious and makes a ton of food

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 25, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

alt: tell them to bring their own drat food :argh:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I'm in the same spot and I just volunteered to bring a 1.75 of tequila which seemed to satisfy everyone.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm in the same spot and I just volunteered to bring a 1.75 of tequila which seemed to satisfy everyone.
That's kinda rude, you should bring enough to share.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Bring decent whisky instead.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

Bring decent whisky instead.

Got that covered for this weekend with an 8 ounce squeeze bottle of old forresters and another full of Frontier Bulliet Bourbon :smuggo:

What kinda veggies does everyone bring along? I normally grab a can of corn and chilies or something, but my trusty p-58 opener kicked the bucket last time I went out, not to mention I'd rather not have to deal with packing out the cans. I know stores sell pouched chicken, anyone make something similar for veggies? I'd rather not have to bring and prep fresh produce if it all possible

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Got that covered for this weekend with an 8 ounce squeeze bottle of old forresters and another full of Frontier Bulliet Bourbon :smuggo:

What kinda veggies does everyone bring along? I normally grab a can of corn and chilies or something, but my trusty p-58 opener kicked the bucket last time I went out, not to mention I'd rather not have to deal with packing out the cans. I know stores sell pouched chicken, anyone make something similar for veggies? I'd rather not have to bring and prep fresh produce if it all possible

I've been happy with lot of dehydrated veggies from Harmony House. I got this kit a couple years ago and I still have most of it:

You can buy them individually online or get a soup mix with a mix of veggies that you can pretty much throw into anything. My only complaint is that the beans are less practical to cook because they have to presoak and be cooked a little longer. I also dehydrate my own fruits, veggies, and jerky but buying a dehydrator is hard to justify for a weekend trip.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been happy with lot of dehydrated veggies from Harmony House. I got this kit a couple years ago and I still have most of it:

You can buy them individually online or get a soup mix with a mix of veggies that you can pretty much throw into anything. My only complaint is that the beans are less practical to cook because they have to presoak and be cooked a little longer. I also dehydrate my own fruits, veggies, and jerky but buying a dehydrator is hard to justify for a weekend trip.

I've used this too, and recommend it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yup I got that too. Still haven't used stuff like the corn or peas but that's more personal preference, and yeah the beans don't rehydrate nearly as well as other stuff.

I think I'm gonna snag a dehydrator sometime in the next couple of months to start prepping for trips I've got coming up. Probably more efficient than using my toaster oven again.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

OSU_Matthew posted:

I experimented with drying my own veggies in the oven and had decent success. I just did the big bags of frozen mixed. I found that the green beans had to be broken in half to dry completely. I also dried frozen kale and spinach which were amazing in the food because I basically crumbled them into tiny pieces and added them to pasta and rice dishes. A real dehydator would definitely be better, it was friggin 30C outside and I had an open oven for hours. My house was a living hell. Worth it, though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If you need dehydrated beans, these are pretty great
http://smile.amazon.com/Santa-Fe-Be...eans+dehydrated
Obviously they're mostly mush, but they rehydrate fast and aren't actually flavored like you'd expect. It's just beans and salt.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

image cropped

I'd been looking for something like this. While the club I hike with has a community food stash, I'd like to have my own stuff for any private expeditions I lead, and was wondering where they get their dehydrated veggies.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Anyone who knows if there's a European equivalent? Pre-packaged dried meals cost an arm and a leg.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Is anyone familiar with the Teton brand? There's a 50% off sale on a $129.99 backpack. I already bought it. I used an Amazon gift card got it for 20 bucks in the end.

Hope it doesn't suck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KBYPIG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Teton brand? There's a 50% off sale on a $129.99 backpack. I already bought it. I used an Amazon gift card got it for 20 bucks in the end.

Hope it doesn't suck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KBYPIG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

No idea about the quality of the pack, but I do know it's regularly available for about that price: http://camelcamelcamel.com/TETON-Sports-Internal-Backpack-Orange/product/B001KBYPIG

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I hosed around with homemade boil-in-bag stuff last summer and never really had a good experience. I think for anything less then a week I am just going to pack PowerBars (the og taffy like ones), Snickers bars, hard sausage, aged cheddar, and flour tortillas. Maybe some minuet rice and dehydrated beans in case I want something hot, but even the store-bought camping meals are pretty awful and rarely are worth the bother of cooking them.

We do have a dehydrator that someone gave us, but I have not yet messed with it, so maybe that will change my mind.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I actually had a really good store bought dehydrated boil-in-bag meal I got at rei that was black beans and rice with peppers and Jack cheese and stuff. Was very good and very dense. Also vegetarian if you're all about that life. I just grabbed it cause black beans and rice is bulletproof.

Edit: brand name Maryjanesfarm

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 1, 2016

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'm a little behind on this thread, so I apologize if this has already been posted, but Land's End has a 700 fill down jacket on sale right now for $60. That may sound so-so, but put in the promotion PAL302 with pin 7000 and it drops to $36 before tax/shipping. Looks like it's only availabe in XL and 2XL (also medium tall), which suits me just fine.

LINK

EDIT: Last year, I bought their 600 fill down jacket when it was like $21 and I have had no complaints. I took it to Boston in the winter and then I took it camping in the Ozarks with me at new year and it kept me plenty warm down into the 20s. Also, Land's End clothing has a satisfaction guarantee and you can just return it to any Sears location for a full refund.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 1, 2016

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Crazyeyes posted:

I actually had a really good store bought dehydrated boil-in-bag meal I got at rei that was black beans and rice with peppers and Jack cheese and stuff. Was very good and very dense. Also vegetarian if you're all about that life. I just grabbed it cause black beans and rice is bulletproof.

Edit: brand name Maryjanesfarm

Everything tastes delicious after you visit Mary Janes farm

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bongwizzard posted:

I hosed around with homemade boil-in-bag stuff last summer and never really had a good experience. I think for anything less then a week I am just going to pack PowerBars (the og taffy like ones), Snickers bars, hard sausage, aged cheddar, and flour tortillas. Maybe some minuet rice and dehydrated beans in case I want something hot, but even the store-bought camping meals are pretty awful and rarely are worth the bother of cooking them.

We do have a dehydrator that someone gave us, but I have not yet messed with it, so maybe that will change my mind.

Realtalk I've tried this type of thing and how do you get enough fiber? Or do you just hike a few extra miles because you never need to poop

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Realtalk I've tried this type of thing and how do you get enough fiber? Or do you just hike a few extra miles because you never need to poop

dried fruit usually does it for me

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

These are exactly what I was looking for--just bought a pack--thanks! I picked up a pad thai recipe that kicked butt from another guy that went on the trip last weekend, and I can't wait to try it out. Pb2 powdered peanut butter, flat linguini style rice noodles, dehydrated chicken and veggies, some peanuts, and sriracha to taste. It was seriously good enough I'm going to start packing it for lunch at work and messing around with other dehydrated diy recipes.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

gently caress, I've been looking for an online store in Europe that sells dehydrated vegetables (not ready-to-eat meals but stuff like in the pic above) and the closest I can find is conserva.de but they only sell Mountain House and they only have peas and corn. I tried the international checkout at Harmony House, 67$ shipping to Belgium, no thanks.

Then I started looking at European prepper forums to see if they have a solution but then I quickly had to close my browser window :psyduck: :nms:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I have spent enough time where my only available bathroom is a awful construction/festival site portajohn that I can will myself to poop/not poop almost on command, even eating awful roach coach food. A few days of low fiber isnt going to affect me at all.

I also very often go 12 hours or more at a stretch without eating when at work so part of my plan this year is to really see how little food I can get Away with packing. I think for a night or two I could do with maybe two small meals and 2-3 snacks per day, assuming I drink a ton of water and caffeine powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Going low on food while backpacking is tough for me but I'm a skinny bastard with a good metabolism (still, thankfully). I also find cooking and eating dinner while backpacking to be a relaxing part of the day, but mainly I just need the calories that I burned off while hiking or I start feeling like crap