Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
New Reckoners news: the next trilogy will be called Apocalypse Guard and will be set among other worlds in the multiverse that Megan reaches into. 2 years till book 1.

http://www.tor.com/2016/03/01/brandon-sanderson-announces-new-apocalypse-guard-book-trilogy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I should have seen that coming. I really hope it's drastically different than the current trilogy. "The same, but different!" is not a good foundation for a new series. If it's just more superhero stuff with similar but different characters there's no point.

Sanderson is usually pretty aware of this stuff, though, so I have a feeling it'll be different enough to justify its existence.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The Reckoners would have been a much better series if the main character wasn't written like he was 15 at most.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I secretly hope all those other non-cosmere books would crash and not sell so he could spend more time on Stormlight.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

I secretly hope all those other non-cosmere books would crash and not sell so he could spend more time on Stormlight.

Sanderson isn't the bottleneck there. This is an author who manages to accidentally write a novel while on vacation.
I expect he has a team of editors at this point.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think reckoners is even with a different publisher than mistborn/stormlight

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mars4523 posted:

The Reckoners would have been a much better series if the main character wasn't written like he was 15 at most.

Well, it is a YA title. That's kinda par for the course.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Compared to some of the other stuff I've read lately Reckoners is pretty much in the "good" category. Wouldn't mind if he'd just focus on Stormlight but he says he needs breaks to stay fresh and he should probably do what he thinks is best.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Reckoners definitely has no connection to the Cosmere stuff, right?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anything set on Earth isn't part of that universe, if I recall.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

None whatsoever.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I doubt teenagers care that much abiut Cosmere (or adults about books for teenagers) so it wouldn't really make sense to make the YA series Cosmere

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm re-reading way of kings and it's a much different experience this time. In the very first chapter it describes how Dalinar is falling down drunk and it actually has significance.

Then with all the cosmere stuff we've learned all the spooky stuff kinda makes more sense.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

mallamp posted:

I doubt teenagers care that much abiut Cosmere (or adults about books for teenagers) so it wouldn't really make sense to make the YA series Cosmere

I don't know about that, I would've been all over something like that as a teenager. Of course I was reading stuff like wheel of time.

A good book is a good book, and while it may be a bit easier to get a teen initially interested in something like Steelheart, they will enjoy Way of Kings as well. Then if they are like a normal nerd they will hear about cosmere stuff and get interested.

Also as an adult I like some YA stuff as audio because it's easy to listen to while I do other things, whereas a book like Way of Kings you can miss important details.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jorenko posted:

New Reckoners news: the next trilogy will be called Apocalypse Guard and will be set among other worlds in the multiverse that Megan reaches into. 2 years till book 1.

http://www.tor.com/2016/03/01/brandon-sanderson-announces-new-apocalypse-guard-book-trilogy/
I follow him and a bunch of fantasy/scifi authors on twitter, and the cover is really something. He even name dropped the cover artist's deviantart page.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/705467892020609024

edit: I didn't know linking to twitter throws up images as well - is that leeching? :ohdear:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I follow him and a bunch of fantasy/scifi authors on twitter, and the cover is really something. He even name dropped the cover artist's deviantart page.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/705467892020609024

edit: I didn't know linking to twitter throws up images as well - is that leeching? :ohdear:

Given that it's a thing lowtax had to have specifically made, no.

Twitter can spare the bandwidth.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I like the idea of SHIELD meets Exiles. I just hope he makes the twists a bit less predictable than the one in Calamity and the pacing a bit more even.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Ok I'm just getting into Sanderson. I've listened to the Mistborn Trilogy and now I'm on the 3rd book of the Wax and Wayne series on audiobook and I just started The Way of Kings on my Kindle. Without going into too much detail, are the Stormlight series and the Mistborn books connected?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Daric posted:

Ok I'm just getting into Sanderson. I've listened to the Mistborn Trilogy and now I'm on the 3rd book of the Wax and Wayne series on audiobook and I just started The Way of Kings on my Kindle. Without going into too much detail, are the Stormlight series and the Mistborn books connected?

Yes. Most of his books (Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn, Stormlight) and some novellas take place in the same universe. All of the worlds are connected via mechanisms that aren't well-explained in the books yet but are becoming more plot-relevant, especially in the later Mistborn books and the Stormlight books. For example, at least one character from Mistborn shows up in the first Stormlight book. How he got there and what his purpose is are unknown. The magic systems on each world derive from the same basic source, although with obviously different manifestations.

You can read all about it if you look up the Cosmere. It's interesting but isn't necessary to enjoy the books, and the entire thing will eventually be spelled out directly in the books via exposition.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Ithaqua posted:

Yes. Most of his books (Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn, Stormlight) and some novellas take place in the same universe. All of the worlds are connected via mechanisms that aren't well-explained in the books yet but are becoming more plot-relevant, especially in the later Mistborn books and the Stormlight books. For example, at least one character from Mistborn shows up in the first Stormlight book. How he got there and what his purpose is are unknown. The magic systems on each world derive from the same basic source, although with obviously different manifestations.

You can read all about it if you look up the Cosmere. It's interesting but isn't necessary to enjoy the books, and the entire thing will eventually be spelled out directly in the books via exposition.

Ok thank you, I was trying to read back but every page looks like it's been redacted by the CIA

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Daric posted:

Ok thank you, I was trying to read back but every page looks like it's been redacted by the CIA

There's probably not going to be an Avengers-style meet up though, at least not for many many years. There's 16 "shards" (basically fragments of a God, and each one gives unique magic) in the universe, and only 10 have been confirmed thus far. There can be multiple shards on the same world though, so there aren't going to be 16 different series to catch up on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mistborn: Science Fiction Space Opera Era will be the big crossover, apparently.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I liked the Reckoners series overall, but the ending to Calamity made no sense to me.

First of all, why did Calamity disappear? Secondly, why did Calamity see the parallel world differently through Megan's powers compared to when the powers had belonged to him? What I mean is: when Megan "mastered" her powers, she saw all the different possibilities and parallel worlds. But the powers had originally belonged to Calamity, so he should have already seen everything that Megan could possibly show him. Also, why the heck was Calamity evil in the first place? And why did his presence cause the darkness?

Maybe I just somehow missed some important parts of the story, but I was definitely not satisfied by the ending.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Illegal Move posted:

I liked the Reckoners series overall, but the ending to Calamity made no sense to me.

First of all, why did Calamity disappear? Secondly, why did Calamity see the parallel world differently through Megan's powers compared to when the powers had belonged to him? What I mean is: when Megan "mastered" her powers, she saw all the different possibilities and parallel worlds. But the powers had originally belonged to Calamity, so he should have already seen everything that Megan could possibly show him. Also, why the heck was Calamity evil in the first place? And why did his presence cause the darkness?

Maybe I just somehow missed some important parts of the story, but I was definitely not satisfied by the ending.

It allowed Calamity to see how much it hosed up when it decided to stick around compared against all the other realities where it departed

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 8, 2016

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So when is the next Cosmere novel coming out? Preferably Mistborn world or Way of Kings world.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ The White Sands graphic novel is probably next.

computer parts posted:

There's probably not going to be an Avengers-style meet up though, at least not for many many years. There's 16 "shards" (basically fragments of a God, and each one gives unique magic) in the universe, and only 10 have been confirmed thus far. There can be multiple shards on the same world though, so there aren't going to be 16 different series to catch up on.

Stormlight seems like it;s going to be the Avengers meetup series though considering Hoid's actions there are after he's gotten his hands on the bead of Lerasium and he has at least enough Breath to have Perfect Pitch. Nightblood has ended up on that world now as well and you have the people who have shown up specifically to find Hoid in addition to other things that'll probably crop up in book 3.

Given the developments in the Wax and Wayne books and the Mistborn secrets novella I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in Stormlight we see Kelsier, having left behind the Bands (and possibly ageless depending on how he came back) show up there as well.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 7, 2016

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ The White Sands graphic novel is probably next.

Stormlight seems like it;s going to be the Avengers meetup series though considering Hoid's actions there are after he's gotten his hands on the bead of Lerasium and he has at least enough Breath to have Perfect Pitch. Nightblood has ended up on that world now as well and you have the people who have shown up specifically to find Hoid in addition to other things that'll probably crop up in book 3.

Given the developments in the Wax and Wayne books and the Mistborn secrets novella I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in Stormlight we see Kelsier, having left behind the Bands (and possibly ageless depending on how he came back) show up there as well.

I think Kel is going to be held in reserve until the second set of 5 Stormlight books, if indeed he shows up at all. While there are worldhoppers present and playing an active part they tend to be behind the scenes....which is decidedly not how that guy operates. He's liable to suck all the narrative oxygen out of the room if he makes an appearance.

Though more cosmere crossover hijinks are likely, now that Jasnah's back. Looks like she has a story to tell.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Captain Monkey posted:

So when is the next Cosmere novel coming out? Preferably Mistborn world or Way of Kings world.

White Sands graphic novel is coming soon. 2 Mistborn books got released in the last 5 months or so. Hes currently writing the next Stormlight book which will probably come out early next year.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ithaqua posted:

Also doesn't he have some prepubescent sailor-moon-esque character that pops up in every one of his novels, even when it's obscure?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ah, Kreiger-San

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Also doesn't he have some prepubescent sailor-moon-esque character that pops up in every one of his novels, even when it's obscure?

What are you talking about?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

coyo7e posted:

IIRC, there's a recurring character but it's an adult male.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Khizan posted:

IIRC, there's a recurring character but it's an adult male.

Well he IS the equivalent of the 30000-year old demon ...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Next time I reread a Cosmere book I'm going to replace Hoid's actual appearance with this description.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Next time I reread a Cosmere book I'm going to replace Hoid's actual appearance with this description.

no wonder Vin bolted from her meeting with him in Mistborn 2

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Steven Brust has a young girl who shows up in all of his Dragaera novels, but she's normally a blink and you miss it phenomenon

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Hoid is one of the most interesting characters I've ever seen in a book, probably because we know so little about him.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

navyjack posted:

Steven Brust has a young girl who shows up in all of his Dragaera novels, but she's normally a blink and you miss it phenomenon

Devera knows that she's the daughter of Aliera and granddaughter of the goddess Verra and that her existence shouldn't be revealed to anyone just yet.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tahirovic posted:

Hoid is one of the most interesting characters I've ever seen in a book, probably because we know so little about him.

(For me at least) it's because we know so little about him, and at the same time he knows basically everything about what's going on with whatever current world he's on and in the cosmere in general, and rather than be some wise all-knowing being he's just kind of a prick about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Daveski posted:

(For me at least) it's because we know so little about him, and at the same time he knows basically everything about what's going on with whatever current world he's on and in the cosmere in general, and rather than be some wise all-knowing being he's just kind of a prick about it.

Have you seen the added stinger for the elantris 10th anniversary edition?

Hoid the begger is hanging out with an evil seon by that lake. He's all wrapped in bandages and poo poo.

Evil Seon: Elantris is fixed, bub. You gonna hold up your end of the bargain, Hoed?
Hoid: The name is Hoid. And... BEHOLD!
He tears the bandages off, revealing that, startlingly, under them his skin is...

totally normal.

Evil Seon: You dick, you would have known if you got transformed. Now, about that bargain where you'd help us with your elantrian powers?
Hoid: Guess that's not happening! Cannonball!
*hoid vanishes into the pool*

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 8, 2016