Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

New SA Games Forums Members (CIG Leavers):

Tell us your honest thoughts concerning Uncle/Grampa Derek Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Somebody please tell me about the goon who got his $2500 back and then bought back in? Was he shamed away like the Xmas doobie goon?

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

peter gabriel posted:

:lol: right now in game none of the stupid pointless airlock doors will open so no one can get in their chariots

Please dancing cat man, we need video documentation. :pgabz:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Who cares

Tell us your opinion on refurbished furniture

Or lasers!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Doors are hard to code ok, They have to like move and slide and open and close.

It is really hard and it's getting there. I think after 5 years time they will finally fix it, and move on to elevators that go multiple stories next. Don't be a bunch of downers.

Seriously, you guys try to code a door sometime, let me tell you...

parp.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Will you shoot first? (Breaking FPS habits)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6420684/#Comment_6420684

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6422250/#Comment_6422250

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Welcome, new friend! You seem to fit right in. Just make sure every third post is complete poo poo and/or a picture of an animal and you'll be A-OK.

Sorry I misunderstood and got this the wrong way around. I thought I was supposed to post complete poo poo and every third post (or less) write something that took a little thought.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ponzi posted:

Sorry I misunderstood and got this the wrong way around. I thought I was supposed to post complete poo poo and every third post (or less) write something that took a little thought.

Eh either works :eonwe:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

I assume he means the word "smart" ;-)

e: Beaten to the punch...

poo poo!! for real? :vince:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, did you miss the part where Roberts went through the manuscript for SQ42 to remove "smart"?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"smart" being a banned word at CIG headquarters sounds too funny to be real but EightAce hasn't failed to deliver yet.

it has to become the new go-to word in stream to describe the game-changing decisions being made, alongside 'fidelitous'

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Differo Cathedra posted:

Please dancing cat man, we need video documentation. :pgabz:

On it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Every time I get bored of Star Citzen CIG gives me more gifts

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Every time I get bored of Star Citzen CIG gives me more gifts

maybe this is what they mean by hours of gameplay

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

alf_pogs posted:

maybe this is what they mean by hours of gameplay

It's emergent, in the same way sewage emerges from your toilet when your pipes block

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-aNJn-Gpc

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

It's emergent, in the same way sewage emerges from your toilet when your pipes block

that's not a block, it's how good plumbing design is supposed to happen. it's a feature

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

D_Smart posted:

Now for the :masterstroke: all you have to do is legally change your last name to 'Citizen.'

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Excellent song choice commando. Really made me think.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Red pandas :3:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Now for the :masterstroke: all you have to do is legally change your last name to 'Citizen.'

i would absolutely donate to a charity of derek's choice if derek changed his surname or middle name to 'citizen'

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

You can bet your rear end that there will be a space janitor, buffoon, or some traitor named Merek Sharp or the like.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

alf_pogs posted:

i would absolutely donate to a charity of derek's choice if derek changed his surname or middle name to 'citizen'

All hail Citizen Smart.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
:five:

How great that you can just reliably pop in and the game serves up hilarity non-stop.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Davoren posted:

All hail Citizen Smart.

This is too much

I can't

I can't breath

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

:five:

How great that you can just reliably pop in and the game serves up hilarity non-stop.

It's a great feature, it feels sometimes like they thought of everything that amuses me

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

alf_pogs posted:

that's not a block, it's how good plumbing design is supposed to happen. it's a feature

Sounds like a new pipeline is required.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Holy poo poo! Thank you.

Q4 2017 is starting to look optimistic.

Edit: Seriously, how the gently caress to you break something so fundamental to the "game" like being able to get to and fly ships. I do not understand game development.

Differo Cathedra fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 2, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Differo Cathedra posted:

Holy poo poo! Thank you.

Q4 2017 is starting to look optimistic.

Agreed, it was bug free and lookin' great :thumbsup:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So, many emails, and several CS tickets and no word on my ban.

You think they're just flat out ignoring banned people now? Have any of you other bans heard anything?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

You think they're just flat out ignoring banned people now? Have any of you other bans heard anything?

if you got banned it's because you were just as bad as a downright leaver

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spacetoaster posted:

Not a single reply here

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This company can't even figure out doors.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Okay serious?
This is an actual dev response?

HOW? I... gently caress.

Catching up, but in part I think this is why the amateur Nancy Drews we are should try and raise more questions about SQ42, the thing nobody wants.

SQ42 is targeted for this year, this is as close to a hard external date as we have. We know that missing a launch of SQ42 this year would be a major problem for CIG- the financial implications as well as Gorf's points about us likely leaving the 'nether-realm' of ambiguous media coverage. Because of that, you have a real timeline that's being dictated by something outside of CIG's sense of personal entitlement that they can shift dates whenever they please. There are some serious milestones you as an external observer can back-fill dates for if you assume SQ42 is coming out December 31st, 2016. You need to have the game in Beta some amount of time before that. You need to have your distribution channels sorted out before that. You need to have certifications for consoles before that. A lot of things that need to be locked down and frozen probably by September-October of 2016. So that means a serious honest-to-god Alpha this summer. Not this pre-alpha stuff and not the PU which is apparently home to a number of features unrelated to SQ42. So CIG has roughly 5 months between now and summer to get to an alpha.

So what's missing/at risk to meeting that timeline?

-how much of the cutscenes are completed? We hear a lot about the ship design pipeline because that's what people actually care about, but Chris probably would LOVE to talk about this. We know a bunch of mocap is done and a bunch of lines are recorded. But how is that all brought together? What do the animators and folks need to do and how long does it take?
-What will the missions look like? Will everything be "kill all enemies in this sector" and "activate this X and then kill all enemies in this sector"? What are some common mission objectives CR want's in this?
-Is FPS Parkour now a planned part of SQ42? How will the Kilwrathi or whatever move in this vision? What will that feel like?
-What will the space enemies feel like? What kind of enemy ships will we fight?

The status of these things are probably the real things that will hold SQ42 up and cause them to miss a 2016 release.

The idea that a team is struggling to commit to a timeline and things are "in too much flux" 3 years in to a project is a bad sign, but it's a way for CIG to dodge discussion. I don't think Chris will be able to help himself if people act like they're interested in his Magnum Opus.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Yup. That's basically because, as I have said, he picked the wrong loving engine to do this with. Going mocap when he could have bought off-the-shelf mocap action data for cheap and which are already targeted for games, would have been the quicker path.

But what do I know, right?

To do that you have to be confident that your script and character design give enough gravitas to your world to sell your story without the need of B-list Hollywood stars.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Pgabz it says your video is unavailable

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Catching up, but in part I think this is why the amateur Nancy Drews we are should try and raise more questions about SQ42, the thing nobody wants.

SQ42 is targeted for this year, this is as close to a hard external date as we have. We know that missing a launch of SQ42 this year would be a major problem for CIG- the financial implications as well as Gorf's points about us likely leaving the 'nether-realm' of ambiguous media coverage. Because of that, you have a real timeline that's being dictated by something outside of CIG's sense of personal entitlement that they can shift dates whenever they please. There are some serious milestones you as an external observer can back-fill dates for if you assume SQ42 is coming out December 31st, 2016. You need to have the game in Beta some amount of time before that. You need to have your distribution channels sorted out before that. You need to have certifications for consoles before that. A lot of things that need to be locked down and frozen probably by September-October of 2016. So that means a serious honest-to-god Alpha this summer. Not this pre-alpha stuff and not the PU which is apparently home to a number of features unrelated to SQ42. So CIG has roughly 5 months between now and summer to get to an alpha.

So what's missing/at risk to meeting that timeline?

-how much of the cutscenes are completed? We hear a lot about the ship design pipeline because that's what people actually care about, but Chris probably would LOVE to talk about this. We know a bunch of mocap is done and a bunch of lines are recorded. But how is that all brought together? What do the animators and folks need to do and how long does it take?
-What will the missions look like? Will everything be "kill all enemies in this sector" and "activate this X and then kill all enemies in this sector"? What are some common mission objectives CR want's in this?
-Is FPS Parkour now a planned part of SQ42? How will the Kilwrathi or whatever move in this vision? What will that feel like?
-What will the space enemies feel like? What kind of enemy ships will we fight?

The status of these things are probably the real things that will hold SQ42 up and cause them to miss a 2016 release.

The idea that a team is struggling to commit to a timeline and things are "in too much flux" 3 years in to a project is a bad sign, but it's a way for CIG to dodge discussion. I don't think Chris will be able to help himself if people act like they're interested in his Magnum Opus.

I wonder what the reality behind the shift is.

On one hand, it seems that the focus on SQ42 was precipitated by declining funds, leading Roberts to feel that if he was to poo poo on the world before running out of cash, he had to put all resources on SQ42 this year while he still could.
On the other hand, it seems that they could have milked this cow for far longer before everyone gave up hope and saw it for the scam that it has become, meaning he could have kept up the regular pace on SQ42 just fine.

It seems odd to me, although ultimately I am pleased, that he decided to go this route - he is, as you stated, forcing his own hand. If and when SQ42 releases, the media will be merciless, and the most fun part of this wreck will begin in earnest. He just may be deluded enough about this turd that he thinks it's impossible that he'll get anything but industry-wide accolades. So many good times coming. So many.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EminusSleepus posted:

Pgabz it says your video is unavailable

That's odd, is anyone else getting that?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

That's odd, is anyone else getting that?

Works fine (and is hilarious) for me (Canada)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Did the latest patch actually break all the doors

• Locked thread