Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

brylcreem posted:

With all those disclaimers at the bottom, it's almost like companies think Americans are stupid as gently caress.

The best is the ads with dogs driving cars.

"CLOSED CIRCUIT. PROFESSIONAL DRIVER. DONT TRY AT HOME" along the bottom of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

How can a dog be a professional driver?

Truly man's best friend

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Duggler posted:

Truly man's best friend

Method Man: :qq:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was surprised to see Rowles show up as a priest on House of Cards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

He was just on his way back from his usual bars.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

John Doman is great. Everytime I see him in a post-Wire role, he plays politically influential powerful soft-spoken smiling world-weary grandpas who just wants things to go back to the way they were.

I'd like to see him throw a pie once or twice.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

John Doman portrays Rodrigo Borgia (Pope Alexander VI) in the excellent Borgia series. Not the Showtime one, that's Jeremy Irons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrSlam posted:

John Doman is great. Everytime I see him in a post-Wire role, he plays politically influential powerful soft-spoken smiling world-weary grandpas who just wants things to go back to the way they were.

I'd like to see him throw a pie once or twice.

He always seems to get cast as an evil or at least corrupt bossman type (or, in Mystic River, a brutal pedophile). Rodrigo Borgia makes sense. I want to see him be a nice guy for once!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He's a fairly nice mob patriarch in Gotham.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ainsley McTree posted:

He always seems to get cast as an evil or at least corrupt bossman type (or, in Mystic River, a brutal pedophile). Rodrigo Borgia makes sense. I want to see him be a nice guy for once!
Pre-wire, in star trek deep space 9 he played a general tasked with stopping a small scale rebellion. He was unwilling to fight and kill his own people and ended up siding with the rebels due to their reasonable demands. In the end he helped end the conflict peacefully.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Pre-wire, in star trek deep space 9 he played a general tasked with stopping a small scale rebellion. He was unwilling to fight and kill his own people and ended up siding with the rebels due to their reasonable demands. In the end he helped end the conflict peacefully.

If we can play pretend for a sec and say that every story ever told took place in the same or parallel dimensions of the same universe, and that an actor represents the same soul traveling across time and space Cloud Atlas-style, then the Doman-soul redeems himself from his long stretches of political intrigue, organized crime, and brutal dictatorship (Caesar from Fallout: New Vegas) and finally finds peace in the 24th century.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

My favorite Rawls role is still Die Hard 3, because it was so weird to see him play a tiny bit part.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MrSlam posted:

If we can play pretend for a sec and say that every story ever told took place in the same or parallel dimensions of the same universe, and that an actor represents the same soul traveling across time and space Cloud Atlas-style, then the Doman-soul redeems himself from his long stretches of political intrigue, organized crime, and brutal dictatorship (Caesar from Fallout: New Vegas) and finally finds peace in the 24th century.

Holy poo poo, he was Caesar?! Wow! I had no idea.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

And he won't even have to give it back!

This has not gotten enough love.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Jerusalem posted:

For those of us who don't watch the Oscars, who's that and what's the connection between him and The Wire?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

SimonSays posted:

For those of us who don't watch the Oscars, who's that and what's the connection between him and The Wire?

You also apparently don't watch The Wire because he was Scott Templeton in season 5.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Jesus, I didn't recognize him either. He looks 20 years older

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I didn't get the joke because I didn't recognize his face but now that I do, that is a good joke, I approve.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I can't say I recognized him at all.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What's with the goofy guy with the hair- the cop. You know who I'm talking about.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Harold Stassen posted:

What's with the goofy guy with the hair- the cop. You know who I'm talking about.

Colicchio. The most realistic character in the entire series.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Clark Kent is Superman???

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kevyn posted:

Colicchio. The most realistic character in the entire series.

I wonder if "go gently caress yourself with a 40, shitbreath" was a real quote Simon pulled from his time as a police reporter.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Harold Stassen posted:

I think you're talking about Colicchio. He represents brute-force heavy handed police work. He's a knucklehead who's the kind of cop that rides the line between enforcer and bully.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrSlam posted:

I think you're talking about Colicchio. He represents brute-force heavy handed police work. He's a knucklehead who's the kind of cop that rides the line between enforcer and bully.

He's Herc, without the charisma.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I went looking for what that actor is up to and found this:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I think he's written a few books before too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He must be a drat fine actor, then; based on that character, I wouldn't have thought he'd even ever read a book.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

He must be a drat fine actor, then; based on that character, I wouldn't have thought he'd even ever read a book.

Now that I'm home I looked him up. His dad was Frederick Busch, a novelist with a few awards to his name (nothing I've read, though), so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. Benjamin's book was war-related (at least the one my friend read), and he's done a few war photography collections.

Definitely agree with you though. He probably nailed the dumb jarhead role from his time in the Marine Corps.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Harold Stassen posted:

Major Eckloff?

edit - yeah yeah the same series with Cpl. Ziggy Sobotka...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And just incase people aren't in the know, he wrote and directed Spotlight, a film about investigative journalism. And played the bad journalist in the Wire.

That's some amazing irony synergy right there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Crumbletron posted:

Now that I'm home I looked him up. His dad was Frederick Busch, a novelist with a few awards to his name (nothing I've read, though), so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. Benjamin's book was war-related (at least the one my friend read), and he's done a few war photography collections.

Definitely agree with you though. He probably nailed the dumb jarhead role from his time in the Marine Corps.

Pretty much. He came in for the audition with the marine corps haircut and when he came back with regular hair, they were like "yo, what happened to the buzzcut?"

He's a pretty cool dude, and his book's a surprisingly somber reflection on his life and service in the corps. If you get a chance to, see his short film Bright. It has Capt. America from Generation: Kill in it too.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Whiz Palace posted:

In case anyone missed it, Toyota held a Sobotka family reunion for their Super Bowl ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYeM-8hO3hM
I don't care how little sense it makes or how much it would poo poo on the legacy of The Wire, I'd be 100% behind a spin-off where the Greeks staged Frank's death, he later frees Ziggy from prison, and takes Nick along with them so they can go rob banks to pay off the Greek.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I finished the second half of S5 the night Templeton won the Oscar which was kind of weirdly serendipitous. I like how everyone knew which guy I was talking about with the vaguest description possible and also that his resume is more impressive than that one character would suggest.

I love the names for the product and how they evolve with the times:

WMD - 2003 Iraq invasion
Swing State - 2004 presidential election
Greenhouse Gas - 2006 An Inconvenient Truth (gas up!)
Troop Surge - 2007 Iraq troop surge

I would have to write a thesis to succinctly explain why I think this is so funny/brilliant

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't follow the oscars, did Tom McCarthy (Templeton) win for writing Spotlight?

Man, I gotta see that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't follow the oscars, did Tom McCarthy (Templeton) win for writing Spotlight?

Man, I gotta see that.

Best picture, he wrote and directed it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Harold Stassen posted:

I finished the second half of S5 the night Templeton won the Oscar which was kind of weirdly serendipitous. I like how everyone knew which guy I was talking about with the vaguest description possible and also that his resume is more impressive than that one character would suggest.

WMD - 2003 Iraq invasion

I would have to write a thesis to succinctly explain why I think this is so funny/brilliant

My favorite is when Bodie's crew move in to where the better quality Bin Ladens were being sold, repackage their inferior stuff as WMDs and insist they're just as good, it's "same poo poo, different name".

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 5, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Harold Stassen posted:

WMD - 2003 Iraq invasion

Yeah, lemme get that Syrian Exodus and a Thailand Tsunami

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Harold Stassen posted:

WMD - 2003 Iraq invasion

Greenhouse Gas is hot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

YF-23 posted:

I vaguely remember Simon mentioning this sort of thing in Homicide, so for how silly it is it's a real thing that was actually done.

it started in Detroit and a few detectives got suspended over it, but not before it spread to most departments across the country