Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I have a feeling this is just part of a larger effort on expansion of post sales testing of cars after the whole VW thing. Probably there is a lot of liability to clarify, not that these documents are a mess any way. Who knows with the EPA anyway.

The EPA testing center here has a hardened gate with those giant wedge gates to prevent people from driving a car bomb into the facility, it's really bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And then there are some states without emissions at all - college roommate had a new Suburban from Colorado he didn't have to smog check at all. It was weird.

I agree there's largely bigger fish to go after (the biggest of them all are ships, really, those things pollute like crazy) and I'm sure in time this will be clarified. Probably means the end of straight pipes on street cars, or for BETTER things that still remain emissions legal.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

harperdc posted:

And then there are some states without emissions at all - college roommate had a new Suburban from Colorado he didn't have to smog check at all. It was weird.

I agree there's largely bigger fish to go after (the biggest of them all are ships, really, those things pollute like crazy) and I'm sure in time this will be clarified. Probably means the end of straight pipes on street cars, or for BETTER things that still remain emissions legal.

The EPA center is for OEMs. We don't have emissions testing either, but I guess because Michigan. We have a ban on speed cameras and red light cameras too.

I think this thing is blown out of proportion, because of SEMA. I'm sure there are good companies who are members of SEMA but there's also bullshit like Fuel Doctor and cheap lovely ECU reflashers guaranteed to grenade your engine, and it will be hard to shed tears if those kinds of companies get shut down. They can get hosed.
Considering there are many 400hp+ passenger cars that meet emissions, I don't see the need to remove emissions controls for tracking cars. For sure there are corner cases like LeMons and transiting rally cars that are just in poor condition but I doubt they'll get banned.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Uncle Jam posted:

The EPA center is for OEMs. We don't have emissions testing either, but I guess because Michigan. We have a ban on speed cameras and red light cameras too.

I think this thing is blown out of proportion, because of SEMA. I'm sure there are good companies who are members of SEMA but there's also bullshit like Fuel Doctor and cheap lovely ECU reflashers guaranteed to grenade your engine, and it will be hard to shed tears if those kinds of companies get shut down. They can get hosed.
Considering there are many 400hp+ passenger cars that meet emissions, I don't see the need to remove emissions controls for tracking cars. For sure there are corner cases like LeMons and transiting rally cars that are just in poor condition but I doubt they'll get banned.

every street stock and drag car in America would be subject to this, it's not a small issue

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Unfortunately, it's going to be impossible to have a civilized discussion of the actual intent of what they're trying to clarify, because it is a hot-button nexus/honeypot of ARE FREEDUMBS, BAH GUBBERMINT, MAH RAIGHTS, and EEEEEPEEEEAAAAAA/FEMA DEATH CAMPS that all feed into each other like a human centipede of hyperbolic reaction and kneejerk bullshit. These groups also tend to have large diesel trucks where they've intentionally disabled the emissions controls on them.

Yep, I have tried telling people to calm down but if they have even the slightest "gently caress the government/democrats/obummer" tendencies it's a losing battle.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Anyone else catch the NHRA Winternationals this past weekend on FS1?

I watched all 3 shows (friday and saturday qualifying, sunday eliminations) and while there was a good number of production gaffes and mistakes given it was the very first time the production had been done in house, I can see where they are going to try and take it and I think it's a major breath of fresh air to the standard "missionary position" coverage ESPN had been doing. I also was very surprised by Tony Pendregon as I thought he did very well considering it was first time as a host. I would assume with 3 or 4 more race weekends under their belt that the FS1/NHRA show will be vastly superior to what ESPN was doing.

Also, the EFI pro stocks were interesting. I guess the Summit boys got sick of getting their asses handed to them last year. They were leaving quick and had a major performance advantage all weekend.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 15, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol @ Hot Rod calling out dudes in Pro Stock for covering their engines

also lol @ Pro Stock cars being slower than Hot Rod Drag Week cars

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

How NHRA let them get away with that I don't get it. It was obvious on TV that they were covering them up.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

I know we've talked about it before here but there really is a gigantic difference in atmosphere around the PS pits. The nitro and sportsman guys are generally all cool as hell and have problem shooting the poo poo with people and/or showing them stuff should their time be free for a moment. The PS pits are like cold war era Russia.

(whoops, didn't mean to double post)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

I didn't catch the races, did they show Densham going into the net?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8xAb2OKxoY

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Peanut President posted:

I didn't catch the races, did they show Densham going into the net?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8xAb2OKxoY

Yes they did, although not in real time like that feed showing the response time. He is very lucky he was not on fire, as if you watch how long he sat in that mess before help arrived he surely would've burnt to death. That was a pretty horrific accident, luckily the nets worked.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
at least the nets didn't kill him like that one dude

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Formula E races on a lot of bad street circuits, but the new layout for Germany might be the worst yet.

Thank christ we have an actual racetrack for the next race.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Coming soon to Indycar.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

njsykora posted:

Formula E races on a lot of bad street circuits, but the new layout for Germany might be the worst yet.

A1GP China, never forget :china:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

A1GP: Cool concept, poo poo execution

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hey guys

why in the world is toyota's le mans entry called "gazoo racing"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

hey guys

because it's incredibly annoying and slightly effeminate, clearly

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

hey guys

It was a team/branding started with Nurburgring 24 and other more "grassroots" racing, kind of away from an old classic works team. But they've decided they want all of their motorsports (WEC, WRC next year, Nürburgring 24, Super GT, Super Formula, etc) under the one banner, and chose to go with that. I think it's also a pet project of Akio Toyoda who is the current president and has started to re-emphasize motorsports and the "fun to drive" factor.

They changed the name of the WEC team last year but only from this year is it getting the new paint job.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

so they literally just picked the word "gazoo" because they thought it was fun?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

so they literally just picked the word "gazoo" because Japan

There ya go

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So you remember when Lamborghini were kicking the ever loving poo poo against everyone in the gtd class. Well they all had unapproved parts in the air intake and all have 25k fines and point penalties.

Oh and that's another hit on the now dissolved O'Gara team that just dissolved leaving Sweedler and Townsend Bell without a ride now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The Audi people I spoke to after the race were adamant that the Hurácans were cheating and I was told (with a bit of a smile) that IMSA was impounding cars to check their engines. Looks like they were right.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

So you remember when Lamborghini were kicking the ever loving poo poo against everyone in the gtd class. Well they all had unapproved parts in the air intake and all have 25k fines and point penalties.

Oh and that's another hit on the now dissolved O'Gara team that just dissolved leaving Sweedler and Townsend Bell without a ride now.

Oh that poo poo is just too rich :getin:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

drgitlin posted:

The Audi people I spoke to after the race were adamant that the Hurácans were cheating and I was told (with a bit of a smile) that IMSA was impounding cars to check their engines. Looks like they were right.

Apparently it's using an air intake that much earlier IMSA deemed illegal on the Audis, so yeah they knew.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

please keep in mind these are both ostensibly VAG cars

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

...with the exact same engine, and quite possibly the same chassis.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

BMB5150 posted:

Manufacturers bothering to cheat means sports car racing is finally big again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Now we just need teams funded by drug money and real estate scams

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I am quite aware of that. The engines are all built in Hungary. However if you think there's any love lost between the, on track you're misinformed.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
At NHRA Phoenix this weekend:
15 Top Fuel
16 Funny Cary
15 Pro Stock

(All 16 car fields)
Not looking good for the start of the new season

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

NHRA has been trying to kill off Pro Stock for a while now, wonder if they'll make it official next year?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why would they kill the only good class

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Why would they kill the only good class

Because NITRO (:wcw:)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I loved the FS1 telecast this past weekend. They vastly improved the coverage from Pomona and dare I say it was the best drag racing coverage since the Diamond P days?! Having handheld cameras on the starting line is great. Also Leah Pritchett owns and that's the first race of many she is going to win.

Also, I saw this video on YellowBullet earlier today and it's great. It's one of the best nitro warmup videos I've seen as you can clearly see and hear when they switch from alcohol to nitro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C62J7bjpfx4

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Also, I saw this video on YellowBullet earlier today and it's great. It's one of the best nitro warmup videos I've seen as you can clearly see and hear when they switch from alcohol to nitro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C62J7bjpfx4

Seeing it with this framing in the video really makes you realize that a car like this is literally just an engine with wheels attached to it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Seeing it with this framing in the video really makes you realize that a car like this is literally just an engine with wheels attached to it.

Seems like a really good way to cut your legs off when the transmission comes apart.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Seems like a really good way to cut your legs off when the transmission comes apart.

Why do you think they started putting the motor in the back?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAhsQvDscK4

e- also they don't have a transmission..... direct drive with a clutch, the clutch is what lets go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAhsQvDscK4

e- also they don't have a transmission..... direct drive with a clutch, the clutch is what lets go

Yeah i'd seen that video before, that's what I was referencing. I wasn't sure if they had only a clutch or not, makes sense since 6000 HP would just fuse everything in the drivetrain together or shred it to pieces.

• Locked thread