Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I am so glad this game has turned out to be good. I veered away from any and all media concerning this because of Absolution and the pay-for-missions delivery system. (which doesn't sound too bad fully explained)

And now I have Blood Money 2.0 to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

The discovery of several hidden bodies, indicates this is the work of a criminal.

TERRORIST kills 147 people
blood money supected.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Finally got Blood money downloaded on the 360 last night, first impressions.

. The graphics haven't aged well or were never that good anyway, same for how the characters are animated, but 47 looks great.

.No crouch toggle and not enough control options.

I managed to SA the wine mission and the opera mission and it was very satisfying seeing it all come together.

Blood Money was a very, very early last-gen game, so early that it had to be scale-able enough to port to PS2. It was actually pretty good looking at the time, mainly with vibrant levels like A New Life, and was a pretty decent "next-gen" showpiece for its day IIRC.

Just be thankful you never got stuck playing it on minimum settings on PC, because uh...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Moartoast posted:

Blood Money was a very, very early last-gen game, so early that it had to be scale-able enough to port to PS2. It was actually pretty good looking at the time, mainly with vibrant levels like A New Life, and was a pretty decent "next-gen" showpiece for its day IIRC.

Just be thankful you never got stuck playing it on minimum settings on PC, because uh...

Woah! :stare: I do think contracts on ps2 is a better looking game, which is mental I know but I think this game could have done with more hazy visuals and rain and stuff to hide the badness.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

The graphics haven't aged well

Seriously? When I play other games from the same year, I think the vast majority look worse than BM. The worst thing you could say about the graphics from a modern perspective is that they're kind of low-poly, but the art style has seen it age exceptionally well, in my opinion.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Seriously? When I play other games from the same year, I think the vast majority look worse than BM. The worst thing you could say about the graphics from a modern perspective is that they're kind of low-poly, but the art style has seen it age exceptionally well, in my opinion.

Yeah I don't get that either, as a late era PS2 game it looks like it was at the very limit of what you could reasonably expect to do with that system.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Just my opinion.

Did blood of crows and loved it, my favourite level so far, managed to keep the suitcase of diamonds and strut off like a boss.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I can sympathize with missing the grittier atmospherics of Contracts, Blood Money aims for a much cleaner, utilitarian aesthetic that works in some parts and really doesn't in others. Till Death Do Us Part looks especially bland, but Vegas is pretty lively and vibrant, it's all a bit of a mixed bag. Contracts didn't look amazing by any stretch, but it knew how to work with its limitations with a bit more consistency.

Still really wish the "HD Trilogy" wasn't just a 720p port of all the games. I get that overhauling the visuals for all three games would be a budgetary nightmare, but they could at least add a bit more pizzazz to BM beyond "now the resolution isn't early-gen arse also it's on PS3 now".

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolution is great, my other favs are Hitman II and Blood Money. I'll wait for this next one to be fully released to check it out, but Absolution is mega underrated. In general while I dig the ol' sandbox prank kills formula, I hope they're not afraid to venture outside of the box. And I hope we see something like the ninja fortress in Hitman II, aka just some unexpected locations. Not just another classy party to kill at etc.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What are some of the fun and unusual ways you killed someone?

I'll start: In the redneck wedding level, I killed Pappy by placing a mine in his chicken bucket (normally I just shove him into the water).

...poo poo now I want to do a RUAP-only run (which would be tough for any missions requiring killing more than two targets).

In the same mission I liked to get on the attic with a sniper rifle, watch the ceremony proceed and shoot the groom in the head while they were kissing. I mean she did specify that groom is to die after they got married and she got exactly what she wanted :D

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

So I told Agent 47 to shoot up Lorne de Havilland's place.. he actially did it the absolute madman hahahahaha!

I was actually going for a Silent Assassin run but I got discovered and had to shoot my way out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolution is great, my other favs are Hitman II and Blood Money. I'll wait for this next one to be fully released to check it out, but Absolution is mega underrated. In general while I dig the ol' sandbox prank kills formula, I hope they're not afraid to venture outside of the box. And I hope we see something like the ninja fortress in Hitman II, aka just some unexpected locations. Not just another classy party to kill at etc.

Absolution had some nice refinements on the existing systems (the shooting/cover was good, contracts mode was a great idea) but the level design was way too constraining. Even the more "open" levels were really tiny, and the various ways to kill your target all felt really forced - Blood Money and earlier games certain had "scripted" options for kills (like say, rigging the pyrotechnic display in the heaven & hell mission in BM), but the way Absolution did it just felt like ticking off boxes for achievements rather than being rewarded for exploring the level and watching the target's routines.

I feel like Absolution's game feel combined with Blood Money quality level design would easily be the best Hitman game, which seems to be what they're going for with the new one, although it will be hard to say for sure how good the levels actually are until they've released enough to get a good sampling (even Blood Money had a few weaker missions).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Absolution had some nice refinements on the existing systems (the shooting/cover was good, contracts mode was a great idea) but the level design was way too constraining. Even the more "open" levels were really tiny, and the various ways to kill your target all felt really forced - Blood Money and earlier games certain had "scripted" options for kills (like say, rigging the pyrotechnic display in the heaven & hell mission in BM), but the way Absolution did it just felt like ticking off boxes for achievements rather than being rewarded for exploring the level and watching the target's routines.

I feel like Absolution's game feel combined with Blood Money quality level design would easily be the best Hitman game, which seems to be what they're going for with the new one, although it will be hard to say for sure how good the levels actually are until they've released enough to get a good sampling (even Blood Money had a few weaker missions).

the worst mission is blood money is death on the mississippi

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Whenever I see people praise Absolution as underrated or whatever I always feel a bit baffled. I know I harp on about the plot too much but another thing that irked me was the level design, at times it just completely failed to be anything but total nonsense. I remember there was a bar level I just found so bizarre, it had all the problems you state, compact, constrained etc. But what really annoyed me was the very concept of the level itself, you're not assassinating anybody(:rolleyes:), you're just sneaking around (I can't even remember why)... except its a public bar so you should be able to walk around most of it without anybody hassling you, but you can't. I couldn't figure out why, there was no explanation as to why half the people would go ballistic and start shooting you if they looked at you too long, were they all goons of the main bad guy and able to recognize you on sight? Did the police put out information to the public to try to get you arrested (tempting explanation, but it would make other missions like the gun shop and hotel make no sense)? No clue! Its also packed with guards so you can barely walk anywhere without suspicion going through the roof, I ended up exploiting a quirk in the AI that reduces a guards suspicion to zero if they can't see your face so I just spun around in circles to keep breaking eye contact, pretty funny I must admit.

So I sneak around and I find a lever and I pull the lever, and somehow, I still cannot figure out how these two events were connected, pulling this lever starts a cutscene that causes a barfight to break out, which makes finishing the mission a fair bit easier (Edit: looked it up on youtube, I think it might have turned off the music?). The whole thing was so loving weird and non-intuitive, I was seeing the mechanics, contextualization and level design collapse into this nonsensical mess.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

khwarezm posted:

But what really annoyed me was the very concept of the level itself, you're not assassinating anybody(:rolleyes:), you're just sneaking around (I can't even remember why)... except its a public bar so you should be able to walk around most of it without anybody hassling you, but you can't.

I believe the context was that they don't take too kindly to outsiders waltzing in to their "public" bar. Just the fact that you couldn't walk in without the bouncers preventing you from doing so, because they said so, was enough of a hint.

Still, I completely agree with what you're saying. An environment that should have been free roaming and relatively straightforward was turned into an invisible fence maze with essentially only one safe path through. If this were any other game series, it would have been a fun "in between" level for fact-finding to advance the story and otherwise messing around with. For a Hitman game, however, it was really, really dumb.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Absolution was basically a sequel to Silent Assassin that decided to iterate upon the absolute worst parts of that game and slapping on the Misdirected Story Of The Year to string it all together. I really tried to like Absolution, there were some parts that were almost okay and the nebulous ~game feel~ did have something to it, but jesus christ if most of that game wasn't grossly abhorrent where it wasn't interminably boring.

Reliving the writing alone reminds me that, for as many facets of the games industry and community that are gross as hell now, we were in a much worse spot just 3 or 4 years ago.

At least that bafflingly misdirected movie they released last year looks funnybad... is it funnybad?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Moartoast posted:

At least that bafflingly misdirected movie they released last year looks funnybad... is it funnybad?

No. It's like the Resident Evil movies. Not great, but not absolutely terrible either. The kind of movie you watch on TV late at night while tinkering with your phone for most of it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Moartoast posted:

Eh, it's mostly bad bad. There is one pretty incredible scene early on where 47 walks into a US embassy fully armed, gets arrested, and manages to escape by kicking a table with his sniper rifle on it and shooting off his handcuffs (hair trigger...). Several scenes are also recorded as though they were gameplay from a video game, which translates really poorly to cinema. It does have Ciarán Hinds as well, who is a much better actor than the movie deserves and breathes some life into a supporting character.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

khwarezm posted:

Whenever I see people praise Absolution as underrated or whatever I always feel a bit baffled.

It always amazes me how easily baffled fans can be when somebody likes the thing slightly different than their favorite thing. We're all fans of a kooky series about killing unsuspecting often unarmed people. I find the first one and Contracts not that good, but I'm not baffled when I see others like those.

Moartoast posted:

but jesus christ if most of that game wasn't grossly abhorrent where it wasn't interminably boring.

Reliving the writing alone reminds me that, for as many facets of the games industry and community that are gross as hell now, we were in a much worse spot just 3 or 4 years ago.

This is Hitman. I hope we get more and more abhorrant as we go, though it's always had some crass stuff and whatnot. It's Hitman, a darkly comedic game about killing for money. But it is all personal taste, for me I don't find anything in the game abhorrant, not even the sexy gun nuns or whatever ha, it's a stylized kooky simulator of movie cliches and whatnot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So i gambled and bought alekhines gun from gamestop. its crap. it plays like blood money on a budget but so much worse. the controls are overly complex and stiff. the frame rate is poo poo, the shooting and the stealth are bad. hell you cant even go postal because the aim retical and recoil and cover system are poo poo and wont allow it. i am so loving returning it.

I am posting this as warning for any bored hitman fans who want a hitman clone.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i gambled and bought alekhines gun from gamestop. its crap. it plays like blood money on a budget but so much worse. the controls are overly complex and stiff. the frame rate is poo poo, the shooting and the stealth are bad. hell you cant even go postal because the aim retical and recoil and cover system are poo poo and wont allow it. i am so loving returning it.

Welp, this bums me out but doesn't surprise me. Death To Spies 2 was pretty rough but playable and seemed to understand some HM systems better than others, but the development hell, failed kickstarters, wonky preview footage and very very dumb name change were defos setting off some warning bells for this one. Also lol at how they tried to make console versions (released ten days earlier than PC for precisely zero reason) on an already-minuscule budget, no kidding it looks and runs like crap.

From the few reviews I've seen so far, it sounds like they made the controls and gunplay even worse than DTS2, which is utterly hilarious.

Oh well, it's releasing the same day as Hitman's Paris level for PC, and for all the complaints I can level about IOI's iffy script triggers, at least Hitman will defos play well and be fun in some way.

Heavy Metal posted:

This is Hitman. I hope we get more and more abhorrant as we go, though it's always had some crass stuff and whatnot. It's Hitman, a darkly comedic game about killing for money. But it is all personal taste, for me I don't find anything in the game abhorrant, not even the sexy gun nuns or whatever ha, it's a stylized kooky simulator of movie cliches and whatnot.

Eh, I get the appeal but it's just not my kind of black comedy, I like the villains being morally bankrupt scumbags, not so much the exploitative camera angles and "oh and they're even more villainous because they are <insert scaaaaary minority here>" and whatnot. Also Absolution had the Watch Dogs problem of not knowing whether its protagonist is a hosed up noir villain that you're supposed to think is an awful person or a super cool brooding anti hero that you're supposed to think is cool and good and ICONIC TIE.

Not to mention how little faith I have in IOI's writing being in... well, good faith, since the abomination that was Kane and Lynch 2, but that's different topic, and the less I remind myself of it, the better.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

reviews seem to confirm this. disappointment. :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Absolution was pretty meh but it does have a positive. It lets you wrestle a giant mutant Mexican man to death

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Absolution was pretty meh but it does have a positive. It lets you wrestle a giant mutant Mexican man Danny Trejo to death

The best part about doing that is despite the fact that it's in front of dozens of people who are watching you very intently it's still a Silent Assassin kill...

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Heavy Metal posted:

Hey unpopular opinion guy, I really like the first hitman game and one of my favorite levels minus the boss fight is the colombian jungle, so i feel ya. Every time someone says they couldn't stealth it I always think they didn't try hard enough. I also liked Absolutions insane uncanny valley characters, especially mr. Yee haw

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The best part about doing that is despite the fact that it's in front of dozens of people who are watching you very intently it's still a Silent Assassin kill...

Because it was a death match, as far as the audience was concerned someone was supposed to die.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Right down to unmasking and having an open conversation about "the girl". God, that game blows...

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
the most understated thing about absolution is how the old SAS type dudes at the end of the game were way cooler and more in style than the nuns from steelport

e:
in fact
http://vmashup.com/ZxUkyF7z

Booty Pageant fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 2, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Right down to unmasking and having an open conversation about "the girl". God, that game blows...

Which doesn't count against anything from a Silent Assassin rating.

If I had absolutely no knowledge of Absolution and you told me 47 takes on a 10-foot tall Danny Trejo while wearing a luchador outfit, I wouldn't believe you.

EDIT: Has there been any word of weapon customization for Hitman 2016? It was one of my favorite things about Blood Money.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Veotax posted:

Because it was a death match, as far as the audience was concerned someone was supposed to die.

While I'm aware of that aspect, it still stretched the definition of Silent Assassin. God that game is horrible.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i4ldqM3mjg

Shows off more of Sapienza and Marrakesh, and the Swedish embassy in the latter. Holy poo poo this looks great.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Profanity posted:

New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i4ldqM3mjg

Shows off more of Sapienza and Marrakesh, and the Swedish embassy in the latter. Holy poo poo this looks great.

Ahahaha, I want to do an all throwing people off buildings run.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Goddamn, I am so loving glad that the Hitman series is finally back in top form. I was actually sort of worried that Absolution buried the franchise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moartoast posted:

Welp, this bums me out but doesn't surprise me. Death To Spies 2 was pretty rough but playable and seemed to understand some HM systems better than others, but the development hell, failed kickstarters, wonky preview footage and very very dumb name change were defos setting off some warning bells for this one. Also lol at how they tried to make console versions (released ten days earlier than PC for precisely zero reason) on an already-minuscule budget, no kidding it looks and runs like crap.

From the few reviews I've seen so far, it sounds like they made the controls and gunplay even worse than DTS2, which is utterly hilarious.

See i could deal with it if the controls were blood money or even absolution. yeah, whats worse is the age is definatly there. it feels like its from 2007 maybe. not the graphic(well yeah those too but i am not a graphics person) its the mechanics and the controls that feel so dated its not even funny.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

While I'm aware of that aspect, it still stretched the definition of Silent Assassin. God that game is horrible.

gently caress yeah.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Goddamn, I am so loving glad that the Hitman series is finally back in top form. I was actually sort of worried that Absolution buried the franchise.

nah it wouldnt. absolution felt like an experement. IO wanted to make something different rather then blood money sandbox. if people didnt like it. they would go back to blood money. I didnt hate it(as a 3rd person game), but i am glad with blood money 2.0

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 2, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The many faces of hitman :

The newest one is probably the most normal looking hitman ever, for once it seems he wouldn't stand out like sore thumb, I like it.Absolution had the best cover art drawings for hitman but they made his eyebrows look retarded in the game. He looked like loving ming the merciless.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 2, 2016

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Good to see HEALTH still getting some video game play. Max Payne 3 had a looooot of awful problems, HEALTH's music was not one of them. Trailer track is "MEN TODAY", btw, off of their fairly new and very good album.

Also holy poo poo we get to make 47 look fabulous and to a heelturn on the catwalk, I am so unironically into this it's unbelievable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The many faces of hitman :

The newest one is probably the most normal looking hitman ever, for once it seems he wouldn't stand out like sore thumb, I like it.Absolution had the best cover art drawings for hitman but they made his eyebrows look retarded in the game. He looked like loving ming the merciless.

the newest one is actualy the alpha face. he looks alot more like bloodmoney/absolution cept with current gen graphics.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
He still looks more normal than before though, he's just closer to his actual age (around 60?) in the newer builds.

Also those trailers make me sad that the only films we'll likely ever get are poo poo because drat, a proper hitman film could actually work if done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

BillBear posted:

He still looks more normal than before though, he's just closer to his actual age (around 60?) in the newer builds.

Also those trailers make me sad that the only films we'll likely ever get are poo poo because drat, a proper hitman film could actually work if done right.

Apparently he was 48 years old as of Hitman Absolution. So he's probably younger looking in the tutorial levels and older looking for the rest of the game.