Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

B-Nasty posted:

I use File Manager by Cheetah (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm)

It's not the nicest to look at, but I use the SMB/FTP functions for transferring stuff from my server and it works well. It has every feature I've ever needed including root functions. I also like how you can customize the toolbar to hide unused features. The non-ad version was $3 I think.

Don't use anything by Cheetah unless you enjoy China knowing all of your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Like the guy upthread I always recommend Explorer or Root Explorer but I'll admit that I probably haven't opened it in more than a year at this point.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

spincube posted:

I use 'CKP - KeePass integration for Chrome' on my Chromebook, as it runs straight from a KeePass database stored in Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive - no plugins or anything needed. Does auto-fill, too.

Wow that's neat as heck. Thanks for mentioning this. Will check it out later.

Also count me in for KeePass+GDrive appreciation!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

flatluigi posted:

PocketCasts supports paid podcasts, I'm following quite a few premium ones.

I know they sort-of do if you use the login:password@feed format but every time I've tried to use it, it crashes the app and I never got a response back from them about it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there a decent noise maker app that isn't shady and full of ads? I don't mind if it's not free. Everything I see on the Play store looks iffy...

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mogomra posted:

Is there a decent noise maker app that isn't shady and full of ads? I don't mind if it's not free. Everything I see on the Play store looks iffy...

For sleep noise? Or distraction, productivity, feeling less isolated on night shift?

Chroma Doze is a clean simple free app for custom-generated white/pink/etc noise. Play with the deeper formula settings along with finding the spectrum setting you like.

If you need something with natural or recorded sounds, Lightning Bug is clunky but not bad, with additional sound packs both free and paid. Lets you do custom mixes of the sounds offered.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Awesome, thanks!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Does anyone know how to change the notification sound for chrome notifications? I'd like to just make it Silent so I can use Light flow to control it. I've got light flow setup for it but haven't figured out how to silence chrome.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There have been like three nice days in the last two weeks and I can almost believe spring is coming. I kind of want to attempt doing Couch to 5k again. I see there's a bunch of apps out there, but don't know if any are good. I would probably use Strava or Google Fit for logging runs, I just want something that will handle the timer and tell me when to run/walk, hopefully while letting Google Play Music play in the background.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Anyone else experience Messenger RANDOMLY TYPE ALL CAPS when typing messages in the quick reply box? Mine does this frequently and it's aggravating.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ashex posted:

Does anyone know how to change the notification sound for chrome notifications? I'd like to just make it Silent so I can use Light flow to control it. I've got light flow setup for it but haven't figured out how to silence chrome.

I'd really like to know this too but pretty sure it's not possible..

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wolfbiker posted:

Anyone else experience Messenger RANDOMLY TYPE ALL CAPS when typing messages in the quick reply box? Mine does this frequently and it's aggravating.

I haven't. Have you tried a different keyboard?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

I haven't. Have you tried a different keyboard?

No, just using the stock one.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

There have been like three nice days in the last two weeks and I can almost believe spring is coming. I kind of want to attempt doing Couch to 5k again. I see there's a bunch of apps out there, but don't know if any are good. I would probably use Strava or Google Fit for logging runs, I just want something that will handle the timer and tell me when to run/walk, hopefully while letting Google Play Music play in the background.

It's not sleek, but when I wanted to get back into trail-running I'd just set countdown timers. Doesn't really matter which app you use, even the stock system clock app can handle it with multiple countdowns these days. Run/walk/run/walk/etc on a trail with clear markers, commit to at least a mile in length per session, and don't stop moving until the distance is done. Get your baseline on doable run/walk times, and set your minimum in that neighborhood. Run twice a week, maybe more if you aren't sore.

Add at least fifteen seconds to the run length every week. Subtract up to fifteen seconds from your walk times each week, until you're under minute and half of walking between runs. Doesn't matter where you start, just don't backslide and you'll improve.

Keep going until your run timer lasts longer than a mile, then you're free to make use of stamina powers for good or evil.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks for the advice, but I like the structured nature of Couch to 5k. It suits my personality better. It worked okay for me a few years ago when I was running on a treadmill, though I had a timer on the treadmill itself so I just used that and kept track of my times manually.

I could set up separate countdowns, but that seems like a big pain, especially if they change often. And a lot of the Couch to 5k apps I see are free (or I could get a paid version from Amazon where I have a ton of credit).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I like the structured nature of Couch to 5k. It suits my personality better. It worked okay for me a few years ago when I was running on a treadmill, though I had a timer on the treadmill itself so I just used that and kept track of my times manually.

I could set up separate countdowns, but that seems like a big pain, especially if they change often. And a lot of the Couch to 5k apps I see are free (or I could get a paid version from Amazon where I have a ton of credit).

Different strokes, but since I rambled too much: It's only two countdown timers to edit weekly, not a convoluted set of thirty prevision-scheduled cascading alarms. Stock clock app is guaranteed not to interfere with music and podcasts.

The Run alarm cues you to start the walk timer, then the Walk alarm cues you to start the run timer, and so on, back and forth. Forever.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
It looks like the 'Gamer ID' server-side switch has flipped for me - I'm able to log into Google Play Games without needing Google Plus. However, it looks like only one or two games - Alto's Adventure, for one - have actually been able to use the Gamer ID thing. Hitman GO, for example, still shows the 'Connecting to Play Games' animation, before asking to create a G+ account.

Anyone else seen this? Not sure if it's an API thing, thus needing the 'old' games to update, or if I should risk an uninstall/reinstall and lose my progress.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I used the zen labs c25k free version and it worked well enough.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Endomondo has a Couch to 5k plan and if you have a Galaxy you have a 6 month free trial available.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Splinter posted:

I used the zen labs c25k free version and it worked well enough.

gmq posted:

Endomondo has a Couch to 5k plan and if you have a Galaxy you have a 6 month free trial available.

Cool, thanks.

Turns out my promotional Amazon "coins" for the app store have expired. Oops! :(

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Are there any good apps to tweak/replace Active Display in Marshmallow? I just moved from a Moto X to Nexus 5X, and AD is a good enough substitute for Motorola's implementation but I don't want my screen lighting up for EVERY notification.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Are there any good apps to tweak/replace Active Display in Marshmallow? I just moved from a Moto X to Nexus 5X, and AD is a good enough substitute for Motorola's implementation but I don't want my screen lighting up for EVERY notification.

I used AC Display on my Note 3 and it was pretty good.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just got a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow, and when the phone it just sat there on my desk the screen will occasionally turn itself on without and clear reason - no new notifications or anything. Is there a way I can find out what's causing this? Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

I just got a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow, and when the phone it just sat there on my desk the screen will occasionally turn itself on without and clear reason - no new notifications or anything. Is there a way I can find out what's causing this? Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question.

That's Active Display, I don't get it either.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anjow posted:

Are you using lightflow?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Skarsnik posted:

Are you using lightflow?

Yes, I am. Is this that notification that they said would be showing up? I've had a look around and it says that it doesn't happen if one uses the older version but I don't know what difference that would make (right now I'm just using it exactly the same as I did on my 4.4.2 Note 3).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

Yes, I am. Is this that notification that they said would be showing up? I've had a look around and it says that it doesn't happen if one uses the older version but I don't know what difference that would make (right now I'm just using it exactly the same as I did on my 4.4.2 Note 3).

There is a different API in Marshmallow onward that requires a persistent notification. Now there is a Legacy plugin for the app which makes it target the old API which removes the need for the persistent notification at the cost of the app not being able to target the new API so it's feature-frozen.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The legacy version fixes the brief flash of a notification you get appearing with the 'new' version, but it doesn't fix the pulsing of the ambient display you're experiencing

Its definitely light flow doing it

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's annoying, are there any alternatives? From a quick search I've only seen ones which require root.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well you could just turn off ambient display, depends how useful you find it

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nova Launcher Prime is on sale for a buck for anyone who doesn't have it yet.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hooah posted:

Nova Launcher Prime is on sale for a buck for anyone who doesn't have it yet.

Is there any way to replicate the swipe left for Google Now in Nova Launcher?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't have any idea, sorry.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Athenry posted:

I'd love to know this. I prefer Nova, and didn't mind swiping up from the home button, but now Marshmallow adds that stupid Now On Tap which makes it one more button press to go to Google Now.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Athenry posted:

Under Gestures and Inputs, I made Swipe Up be a Google Now launcher. It took a few days to get used to it, but now I can get to Google Now from any of my home screens instead of swiping through them to find the left most one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There doesn't seem to be. Googling around indicates that Google isn't allowing access to that function. Workarounds include making a screen to the left with the Google Now widget or adding swipe actions.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 2, 2016

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'd love to know this. I prefer Nova, and didn't mind swiping up from the home button, but now Marshmallow adds that stupid Now On Tap which makes it one more button press to go to Google Now.

You can disable Now on Tap.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

nocal posted:

You can disable Now on Tap.

Does that let you swipe up from the home button to get to Google Now like before if you disable Now on Tap?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Does that let you swipe up from the home button to get to Google Now like before if you disable Now on Tap?
Yes. Well, long press Home takes you direct to Now if you have On Tap disabled. The swipe up gesture doesn't exist any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tunga posted:

Yes. Well, long press Home takes you direct to Now if you have On Tap disabled. The swipe up gesture doesn't exist any more.

Yes!

Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't use Google Now much, but even less since Now on Tap showed up (Now on Tap has proved to be completely useless every time I've tried it).