Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Mega64 posted:

This is the only pic she needed.

Should have used the selfie stick as a grave marker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So whats the most ridiculous climb of a mountain anyone has done? like K2 on a bad face during winter or something

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jose posted:

So whats the most ridiculous climb of a mountain anyone has done? like K2 on a bad face during winter or something

No one has ever climbed K2 during winter. Nanga Parbat was just climbed in winter for the first time a few weeks ago, so now K2 is the only one left in winter. That Nanga Parbat climb is up there.

2005 Steve House and Vince Anderson on the Central Pillar of Nanga Parbat's Rupal Face is one of the greatest climbs ever - also 2013 Ueli Steck's solo of the South Face of Annapurna. The Piolet D'Or is an annual award to the best climbs of the year, this should give some suggestions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piolet_d%27Or

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Jose posted:

The Polish line on the South face of K2 has been climbed once by Jerzy Kukuczka and Tadeusz Piotrowski the latter died whilst descending. Its technically insane, massively exposed and avalanche prone. Messner described it as a suicidal route and nobody has ever considered another attempt.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

http://adventureblog.nationalgeogra...nt&sf21802294=1

Nat Geo is reporting that a bunch of idiots didn't listen to the Mountain God's words and we're expecting a busy season.

I stand by my 9

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

gohuskies posted:

Himalayan Times reports that the ice doctors are returning to the Icefall to start working on the route:

I hope the ice doctors are okay. I only want the rich assholes to die. :hb:

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching the new episode of Gotham with Mr freeze and looking forward to rich tourist death

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Nat Geo is reporting that a bunch of idiots didn't listen to the Mountain God's words and we're expecting a busy season.

“I think Everest is angry,” he says.,"

49 richies. 1 Sherpa who didn't know when to stay down

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Jose posted:

The attempts on the North Face of the Eiger were pretty hosed. Lots of Brave Young Men dying on a hell-rimed, trap infested wall while tourists and the media watch on cosily from the Chalet below.

Messner's first attempt on Everest without supplemental Oxygen and his first attempt on the Rupal Face of Nanga Parbat in 1970 are both loving mental.

e:

Picnic Princess posted:

Additional side bet: This is the year Russel Brice looses a climber

Double edit: HMEX state on their website that there are third party companies in Kathmandu who will chopper you all the way to Everest Base Camp now. Because gently caress taking the week long acclimatising and conditioning hike!!! I got a mountain to clime yehhhh buddy!!!

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 2, 2016

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

StoneOfShame posted:

The Polish line on the South face of K2 has been climbed once by Jerzy Kukuczka and Tadeusz Piotrowski the latter died whilst descending. Its technically insane, massively exposed and avalanche prone. Messner described it as a suicidal route and nobody has ever considered another attempt.

Apparently Poles just don't give a gently caress about mountains?

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Watched The Summit and christ does it reinforce the notion that this hobby is a crass joke told to an unsympathetic god. To paraphrase Jer's wife, "If they had made it down, my husband's effort would have been hailed as one of the greatest mountaineering miracles of all time, but they were killed by falling ice, so instead he got his reputation ruined by a coward who abandoned multiple men to their deaths."

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 2, 2016

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Poles just don't give a gently caress

fixed

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Wow I missed 14 pages of the thread.
Have we had our annual influx of "actually you're all monsters for guessing how many people will die" posts yet?

Also: 1 single person will die on Everest this year. Even mountains must rest sometimes.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I'm thinking seven sounds about right this year.

And they'll deserve it for throwing their bottles all over the pretty mountain.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Anoia posted:

We're all going to hell but it's not like that's news.

I just wonder if this year is the "no I've been kept away enough you can't stop me" rush or if that'll be next year.

Imagine rich jerks shoving their way to be the next to die.

Looks to be this year:

Picnic Princess posted:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

DumbparameciuM posted:

Double edit: HMEX state on their website that there are third party companies in Kathmandu who will chopper you all the way to Everest Base Camp now. Because gently caress taking the week long acclimatising and conditioning hike!!! I got a mountain to clime yehhhh buddy!!!

From what I've read you also get to skip out on an otherwise inevitable bout of dysentery, so I think I might take that option if I were a richie rich, and spend an extra week hiking around base camp.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stoat posted:

Wow I missed 14 pages of the thread.
Have we had our annual influx of "actually you're all monsters for guessing how many people will die" posts yet?

Also: 1 single person will die on Everest this year. Even mountains must rest sometimes.

Yeah there was one "how do you sleep at night" post and the answer is always "in a warm bed with no less than 60 degree weather and access to hot cocoa 24 hours a day"

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujh7BcgjmNg

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Absolute proclick. The bit in which Herzog confronts him about his brother's death and doesn't relent until Messner is reduced to sobs is my favorite piece of cinema ever.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
It goes without saying but Messner is so much loving smarter than people climbing today. He full on accepts that even if everything goes perfectly they still might not be able to make it and would give up, he also wouldn't climb with people who he doesn't have complete faith in, you wouldn't catch him running an Everest climbing company, the man must despair at Everest every year.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIYfkZrP2Ko

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Apparently Poles just don't give a gently caress about mountains?

I was climbing in the Tatras in Poland at the end of February, and the Polish people I was with were hard as nails and terrifyingly fearless.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pole and potato, mountain brothers separated at birth.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

pr0k posted:

From what I've read you also get to skip out on an otherwise inevitable bout of dysentery, so I think I might take that option if I were a richie rich, and spend an extra week hiking around base camp.

Well you're also incredibly likely to catch some form of food poisoning while you're eating/drinking on the mountain so they might as well just hurry up and build the travelators to the top then I guess.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Poles are like Russians except even more beaten down by life and without nationalistic bullshit to hold it together like duct tape

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Chris! posted:

I was climbing in the Tatras in Poland at the end of February, and the Polish people I was with were hard as nails and terrifyingly fearless.

I read this as "climbing the tatas"

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
How on earth do you get food poisoning when you're in sub-zero temperatures?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

There's no shortage of ways for food to get contaminated other than letting meat sit at room temperature.

It's not like base camp has running water or proper sanitation

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bad processing practices give you a can full of botulinus toxin. Still happens occasionally. Other than that, Fred Smith is shedding (say) norovirus. The norovirus stays warm and happy on his hands. He makes supper, or passes you his water bottle. Whammo.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I read this as "climbing the tatas"

Those are in Wyoming.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I bet its pretty much impossible to properly wash their hands, cooking equipment etc. up there either.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yep, water has to be hauled in by yak, and sanitation at base camp is pretty much 'a bucket with a tent around it' IIRC.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Bobby Digital posted:

Those are in Wyoming.

Every year dozens die climbing the tatas of Idaho and Wyoming.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Microwaves Mom posted:

God bless America :patriot:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

hailthefish posted:

Yep, water has to be hauled in by yak

They have big stoves to melt snow. You have to find clean snow, but sherpas can do that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Microwaves Mom posted:

I thought Penicillin put an end to that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ueli Steck's videos are mental. For some reason I never think of mountaineers just scaling a wall like rock climbers

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

To expand on some points already made...

gohuskies posted:

They have big stoves to melt snow. You have to find clean snow, but sherpas can do that.

Big stoves are fine at basecamp but watch tourists at camp two or three taking like an hour to melt enough snow for two mugs of tea on lovely little metho burner stoves. As for finding clean snow...

"Peak Poop: The Feces Problem on Everest Needs a Solution"

“The only good part about the human waste situation above Base Camp is that poo poo freezes fast at 8,000 meters,” says Adrian Ballinger, veteran Everest guide and founder of Alpenglow Expeditions. “Beyond that, it’s an inexcusable embarrassment. If you walk from one tent to another in Camp II or IV, you will step in poo poo. If you melt snow from the camp areas, you are drinking poo poo.”

“Every year, it is getting worse with poop,” says Lakpa Rita, a 23-year veteran sirdar and 17-time summiter. “People just dig holes at Camps I and II, and it melts out and smells terrible. When it melts out, it gets into the water, and people are getting sick at every camp.”

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bad processing practices give you a can full of botulinus toxin. Still happens occasionally. Other than that, Fred Smith is shedding (say) norovirus. The norovirus stays warm and happy on his hands. He makes supper, or passes you his water bottle. Whammo.

Also check out any videos of the base camp set ups that the bigger private groups like HIMEX use - super high tech food storage solutions - massive blue plastic barrels filled with raw meat which get dug into snow banks near the cooking tents. Usually fly blown to gently caress before they make it into the barrels as well. And HIMEX is one of the bigger, better supplied outfits there. Imagine what the el-cheapo mobs are doing. And who knows how the gently caress the food got there, other than overland on the back of a sherpa all the way from Lukla. They aren't helicoptering in McDonalds from Kathmandu*. The meat doesn't pop into existence freshly butchered and under cling film when you get there. There's no Costco at Everest BC**.

Additionally, when people are higher up the mountain, it seems like they're typically mixing whatever they can that will get in their thermos so they don't have to gently caress around making actual food. Plenty of VT of people mixing kool aid into milky tea and dehydrated soup, poo poo like that. They haven't been eating regular meals at regular times, so your system would be all out of whack. And the higher you go, the slower your body digests food. Stuff is just sitting in your gut all day as you climb. And on top of that you've been eating that fly blown (e: horse) Yak meat for weeks. No wonder people get the, heh heh, galloping shits.

*yet
**yet

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 4, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
After two years of Everest hubris blue balls I hope we have a glorious return to form this year.

41 DEAD! Offer void if any are sherpas.

It should be considered whether or not global warming is making this less of an achievement. Longer windows for climbing, less ice (etc.). Not that it will stop a bunch of utterly oblivious privileged drop kicks from forming an orderly queue to be 'totally awesome forever'.

Rather than write a long analogy post, the people coming in and calling us monsters are exactly the people who are asking why goons are pissing down a well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Cartoon posted:

After two years of Everest hubris blue balls I hope we have a glorious return to form this year.

41 DEAD! Offer void if any are sherpas.

It should be considered whether or not global warming is making this less of an achievement. Longer windows for climbing, less ice (etc.). Not that it will stop a bunch of utterly oblivious privileged drop kicks from forming an orderly queue to be 'totally awesome forever'.

Rather than write a long analogy post, the people coming in and calling us monsters are exactly the people who are asking why goons are pissing down a well.

Global warming is making climbing harder - warmer temperatures mean more melting, which means more rockfall (the rocks are held in place by ice and when it melts, the rocks fall on climbers) and ice avalanches (same as rockfall but big chunks of ice). That's why so many alpine climbers start climbing pre-dawn even at low elevations - pre-dawn and in the morning, the day's sun hasn't yet melted the ice. Many gullies and faces are safe in the morning and rockfall deathtraps in the afternoon, and global warming makes that way worse by expanding the risk window.