Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm going to skip the harbor freight recommendation and recommend an Innova auto ranging multimeter. They used to be twenty bucks, looks like they went up a few bucks, but it's got everything you need for testing car stuff and is even pretty handy for troubleshooting stuff around the house. I've had mine for years, and it's accuracy is virtually indistinguishable from my fluke clamp meter.

Has all the basic stuff you'll need and nothing you don't. Most compelling reason is that it's auto ranging, so it will automatically adjust it's measurement for the voltage. It's well built with good internal components, and even UL listed, no ETL bullshit

E: another thing I like is the battery testing function, it'll put a small load on the batteries so you can get a more accurate measurement of the internal voltage to tell you if the battery is good or not. Only big thing you can't do with it is measure AC current, but you'd probably want a line splitter and clamp multimeter to do that anyways

Thanks, I ended up ordering this one. I'll get a HF one as a backup but I won't have time to get over there anytime soon and I want to figure out the parasitic drain on my Jeep WK this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Just wanted to show off my new tool for spin-in rear brake calipers:

The air provides pressure while you turn the piston in. Couldn't be easier than this!

Related: I just went from hourly to flat-rate on Sunday.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Thanks, I ended up ordering this one. I'll get a HF one as a backup but I won't have time to get over there anytime soon and I want to figure out the parasitic drain on my Jeep WK this weekend.

For 12V, the HF meter is fine. For anything higher, I'd invest in a proper meter. If you are sticking it in the wall, you want a real CAT-rated meter with HRC fusing and whatnot. I link this all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM&t=364s

Please don't risk having this happen. Buy a decent meter, even $50 will get something that won't explode in your hand if you gently caress up. I'm a Fluke whore (an 87, and an 87V, plus a 45 and 8842a on my bench), but my shitbox meter is a B&K 389A I picked up at an auction for $25. I spent $10 to put another fuse in it, and it's a good, reliable meter. I've also got a Milwaukee TRMS meter and accompanying clamp meter for house-voltage AC stuff. If you get a decent Extech or Amprobe, you'll have a good serviceable meter for life. I recommend Dave Jones' shootouts, if you don't like him, then at least skip to the end and listen to the recommendations. There's also a good page on the EEVBlog forum with what meters actually meet their CAT ratings. There are several serial offenders who claim a rating, but the components inside can't meet the claim. http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/

FYI: That amprobe has an unfused 10A range, which is bad bad news. It also has a 250V-rated glass fuse on the other amperage range (According to the Amazon questions/answers), which is inline with the other measurements. Bad news again, and doesn't meet CATII 600V Rating.

I know you guys will say that I'm sperging over nothing, but there are meters that aren't that much more that are much safer. It only takes one gently caress-up on a high voltage circuit to make you very leery about messing about.

0toShifty posted:

Just wanted to show off my new tool for spin-in rear brake calipers:

The air provides pressure while you turn the piston in. Couldn't be easier than this!

Related: I just went from hourly to flat-rate on Sunday.

Congrats? I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sometimes, a grocery bag will do the trick.
Use it once, throw it away.

Yes. It's amazing.

25% Simplegreen + 75% distilled water.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/05/cleaning-bs-34-carbs-from-81-xs650.html

Protip on Ultrasonic cleaners: Put your cleaning solution and parts in a ziplock bag, then put that in the tank filled with just water. The bag doesn't stop the cleaning action, and you gain the easy-clean-up of the bag containing everything. Otherwise, you've got to dump the entire cleaner tank if it gets filthy. Also, remember that different metals need different cleaners. Simple Green will pit some aluminum alloys. Lab detergents like Alconox (PF, please) are another good non-foaming option.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 2, 2016

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

sharkytm posted:

For 12V, the HF meter is fine. For anything higher, I'd invest in a proper meter. If you are sticking it in the wall, you want a real CAT-rated meter with HRC fusing and whatnot. I link this all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM&t=364s

Please don't risk having this happen. Buy a decent meter, even $50 will get something that won't explode in your hand if you gently caress up. I'm a Fluke whore (an 87, and an 87V, plus a 45 and 8842a on my bench), but my shitbox meter is a B&K 389A I picked up at an auction for $25. I spent $10 to put another fuse in it, and it's a good, reliable meter. I've also got a Milwaukee TRMS meter and accompanying clamp meter for house-voltage AC stuff. If you get a decent Extech or Amprobe, you'll have a good serviceable meter for life. I recommend Dave Jones' shootouts, if you don't like him, then at least skip to the end and listen to the recommendations. There's also a good page on the EEVBlog forum with what meters actually meet their CAT ratings. There are several serial offenders who claim a rating, but the components inside can't meet the claim. http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/

FYI: That amprobe has an unfused 10A range, which is bad bad news. It also has a 250V-rated glass fuse on the other amperage range (According to the Amazon questions/answers), which is inline with the other measurements. Bad news again, and doesn't meet CATII 600V Rating.

I know you guys will say that I'm sperging over nothing, but there are meters that aren't that much more that are much safer. It only takes one gently caress-up on a high voltage circuit to make you very leery about messing about.
I'm really just gonna be using it for car stuff, if I need to stick it in a wall my friend has a very nice meter she stole from when she worked at Comcast and knows how to use it properly. But thank you for your concern (not sarcasm)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I'm really just gonna be using it for car stuff, if I need to stick it in a wall my friend has a very nice meter she stole from when she worked at Comcast and knows how to use it properly. But thank you for your concern (not sarcasm)

Yeah, stick to Low voltage (<24VDC) and you'll be fine with it. If it were me, I'd have gotten an Extech EX330 for $50 or less, but whatever. For low voltage stuff, the big things I look for are a good readable display, instant continuity beeper, and a stable stand. That wrist-strap looks... odd, but may be useful. Best of luck with the parasitic. I hope it's small amperage :D.

As ChrisGT said on IRC: "bottom line is, don't go sticking meter probes where you wouldn't stick your fingers unless you have an expensive piece of equipment "

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I'd just like to point out that trying to find a parasitic power draw (i.e. measuring current from battery) using a meter that, as SharkyTM mentioned, has an unfused current range is at best a very bad idea

Unfused current range + potential current that a car can draw from its battery = meter gets overloaded, overheats in a couple of seconds and catches on fire.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

literally a fish posted:

I'd just like to point out that trying to find a parasitic power draw (i.e. measuring current from battery) using a meter that, as SharkyTM mentioned, has an unfused current range is at best a very bad idea

Unfused current range + potential current that a car can draw from its battery = meter gets overloaded, overheats in a couple of seconds and catches on fire.

poo poo for real? A bunch of the reviews said it was good for just that purpose (which means exactly fuckall but...)

Sorry if everyone is sick of meter chat, I thought it would be a simple matter of "yeah buy this one next question thanks" lol

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

poo poo for real? A bunch of the reviews said it was good for just that purpose (which means exactly fuckall but...)

Sorry if everyone is sick of meter chat, I thought it would be a simple matter of "yeah buy this one next question thanks" lol

Honestly, a $3 test light is pretty awesome for a lot of general automotive troubleshooting, like finding draws and "is this wire actually hot?"

Easy to learn, easy to clip to ground for one-handed use, and the bulb doubles as a fuse for safety.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

If the meter's only rated for 10 amps, and it has no fuse, and you try to draw more than 10 amps through it, things will start to heat up. Your car could potentially draw dozens of amps just from having the ignition turned on, which would rather rapidly immolate the meter thanks to having no fuse (and force you to buy another meter) - a decent quality meter has a fuse on that range, and will just blow the fuse, rather than burn your house down.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Little gotcha I totally missed about the HF folding trailer: my county assessed it as a generic "2015 8ft utility trailer" worth actual money.

The assessed value was at $450, taxes at $50/year, meaning they thought market value was a few thousand dollars.

I had to wait in line at the courthouse, present an original receipt showing the $220 purchase price and fill out paperwork to get the value down to $75 and taxes down to $7.50/yr.

I was ready to sell the thing if taxes were going to be 1/4 the price every year.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 2, 2016

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

literally a fish posted:

If the meter's only rated for 10 amps, and it has no fuse, and you try to draw more than 10 amps through it, things will start to heat up. Your car could potentially draw dozens of amps just from having the ignition turned on, which would rather rapidly immolate the meter thanks to having no fuse (and force you to buy another meter) - a decent quality meter has a fuse on that range, and will just blow the fuse, rather than burn your house down.

I totally forgot, I already have this Lisle drain tester: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGN5UAY?keywords=lisle%20battery%20drain&qid=1456900741&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Which has an inline fuse, so I should be cool right?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I totally forgot, I already have this Lisle drain tester: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGN5UAY?keywords=lisle%20battery%20drain&qid=1456900741&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Which has an inline fuse, so I should be cool right?

Yeah, that should work. I mean you should still get a meter with a proper fuse in it but that'll work :v:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

literally a fish posted:

DO NOT BUY A UNI-T METER.

They are horribly unsafe and incredibly poorly calibrated, see any number of EEVBlog Uni-T meter reviews/teardowns/rants.

I personally use one of these Agilent/Keysight units and it is A+ http://www.amazon.com/Agilent-Techn...keywords=u1232a (I actually have the 1233 because it wasn't any more expensive) but I recognize most people ain't gonna drop US$175 on a multimeter.

I highly recommend this $50 extech meter, though: http://www.tequipment.net/ExtechEX420.asp?v=7231 as does Dave Jones (who mostly knows his poo poo, despite his loving intolerable voice) - if I only had 50 bux for a meter, that's where I'd go.

The babby Extech is fine too - http://www.tequipment.net/ExtechEX330.asp?v=67159

E: And yeah, I know the lack of safety on uni-T meters isn't a huge deal on low voltage stuff, but you just know at some point you're gonna want to test something hooked up to the mains with this meter and it could literally explode in your face... Besides, the absurdly low calibration spec is just atrocious.

I hate to just shill for the pro products, but this is exactly why Fluke, Snap-on, etc. are worth the money. I'm going to use it all the time in lovely conditions, and I know it's not going to catch fire and kill me. And if it does it will be recalled and fixed instead of covered up.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

dont underestimate the amount of current a battery can dump out either- The winch on my car draws 550A at full load and my optima yellowtop doesnt even flinch punching that out.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

eddiewalker posted:

Little gotcha I totally missed about the HF folding trailer: my county assessed it as a generic "2015 8ft utility trailer" worth actual money.

The assessed value was at $450, taxes at $50/year, meaning they thought market value was a few thousand dollars.

I had to wait in line at the courthouse, present an original receipt showing the $220 purchase price and fill out paperwork to get the value down to $75 and taxes down to $7.50/yr.

I was ready to sell the thing if taxes were going to be 1/4 the price every year.

When I was working part-time there for two years, we always gave people a quick run down as far as expected costs between taxes, registration, and inspection. 1/3 of the people would end up not buying.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

metallicaeg posted:

When I was working part-time there for two years, we always gave people a quick run down as far as expected costs between taxes, registration, and inspection. 1/3 of the people would end up not buying.

You should've seen the DMV clerk red-in-the-face trying to convince me that the sales tax she was trying to charge me was totally different than the sales tax I had already paid the the store.

The free flashlight also on the receipt really complicated the math for some reason.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ferremit posted:

dont underestimate the amount of current a battery can dump out either- The winch on my car draws 550A at full load and my optima yellowtop doesnt even flinch punching that out.

Very true, but a 12V circuit won't really arc flash you - if the fuse pops on the low current range, it'll just pop. If the high current unfused range goes up, either the probes/probe wires or the meter will catch fire and you'll get some burns on your fingers (could even be second or third degree... no, not kidding) but won't be electrocuted or arc flashed.

It's still somewhat dangerous and likely to injure you if you really cock it up, but it won't be instantly fatal (or arguably worse, blind you, deafen you, and leave you with half your body covered in third degree burns and possibly needing a few amputations) the way using a fake/non CAT rated meter the wrong way on a 480V 3-phase circuit would.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 2, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Very true, but a 12V circuit won't really arc flash you - if the fuse pops on the low current range, it'll just pop. If the high current unfused range goes up, either the probes/probe wires or the meter will catch fire and you'll get some burns on your fingers (could even be second or third degree... no, not kidding) but won't be electrocuted or arc flashed.

It's still somewhat dangerous and likely to injure you if you really cock it up, but it won't be instantly fatal (or arguably worse, blind you, deafen you, and leave you with half your body covered in third degree burns and possibly needing a few amputations) the way using a fake/non CAT rated meter the wrong way on a 480V 3-phase circuit would.

Yeah. Even a full-blown short from battery hot to ground will just cook the meter and leads a bit. It's possible to hurt yourself with 12VDC, but it takes a special talent.

Some of my stuff is 350VDC, with 1500A behind it. It's only for 2ms, but still, 1500A is 1500A, and it only takes 9mA to kill you.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to get a set of fused leads and make any meter safe?

Shark tank here I come

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, theoretically you could put one of those super expensive HRC fuses that Fluke uses into a set of test leads, I don't see a reason it wouldn't work.

Or you could just spend another ten or fifteen bucks and get a middling quality meter that comes with one already.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sometimes, a grocery bag will do the trick.
Use it once, throw it away.

Yes. It's amazing.

25% Simplegreen + 75% distilled water.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/05/cleaning-bs-34-carbs-from-81-xs650.html

sharkytm posted:

Protip on Ultrasonic cleaners: Put your cleaning solution and parts in a ziplock bag, then put that in the tank filled with just water. The bag doesn't stop the cleaning action, and you gain the easy-clean-up of the bag containing everything. Otherwise, you've got to dump the entire cleaner tank if it gets filthy. Also, remember that different metals need different cleaners. Simple Green will pit some aluminum alloys. Lab detergents like Alconox (PF, please) are another good non-foaming option.

Good info, thanks. Any suggestions on brands? It seems like there is cheap Chinese crap that you can tell by the sub-60 watt rating, and a big jump to commercial stuff.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got the Chinese crap Pittsburg one (that violated my no HF parts with wires in them rule) that's been surprisingly decent for cleaning nuts, bolts, and various smallish car parts. Can take a while but works pretty well and I've even used it with jewelry too.

It was dirt cheap and it's still choochin so it was well worth the pittance I paid.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Good info, thanks. Any suggestions on brands? It seems like there is cheap Chinese crap that you can tell by the sub-60 watt rating, and a big jump to commercial stuff.

I've got an eBay-special, but if you really wanted a good one, I'd look for a used industrial unit on eBay or an auction. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

kmcormick9 posted:

Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to get a set of fused leads and make any meter safe?

Shark tank here I come

The fusing would have to be contained in a box, which would make the leads annoying to use. Or like Ken said, buy a decent meter and upgrade the fuses (The EX330 from Extech still uses glass fuses).

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Is there a cheap(ish) but decent timing light? Seems like the HF one I have is super unreliable. I really don't need advance adjustments or anything, I usually just use it to clip onto the easiest to access part of a spark plug wire to confirm things are working for diagnosing coil/sparkplug issues.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sharkytm posted:

I've got an eBay-special, but if you really wanted a good one, I'd look for a used industrial unit on eBay or an auction. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

The eBay ones have gotten pretty good and have halved in price since I bought mine. I say go that route instead of scouring auction sites hoping for a steal and accidentally buying an oscilloscope instead.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My gearwrench x beams flex heads came in today! Coworker that owns the Matco version spent a good 15 minuets painstakingly comparing the two. And then quietly said "gently caress" and moped out for a cigarette.

Its the exact loving same set for a 3rd price.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Brigdh posted:

Is there a cheap(ish) but decent timing light? Seems like the HF one I have is super unreliable. I really don't need advance adjustments or anything, I usually just use it to clip onto the easiest to access part of a spark plug wire to confirm things are working for diagnosing coil/sparkplug issues.
So just to flash and say "yes, it's sparking"? You can get cheap little glow caps that fit between the HT lead and the plug to do that.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

InitialDave posted:

So just to flash and say "yes, it's sparking"? You can get cheap little glow caps that fit between the HT lead and the plug to do that.

Basically yes. Flashing proportionally to the revs is handy (ie is the ignition cutting out at higher revs?)

Fitting something between the plug and lead isn't convenient when you have to disassemble the intake to the point that the car won't run. If that's needed to continue the diagnosis, sure ok, but as a first step in trouble shooting, I'd really like to be non-invasive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Check if your multimeter has a rev counter feature?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

It doesn't.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

My gearwrench x beams flex heads came in today! Coworker that owns the Matco version spent a good 15 minuets painstakingly comparing the two. And then quietly said "gently caress" and moped out for a cigarette.

Its the exact loving same set for a 3rd price.

Literally every Matco tool can have this done to it. Most of the air Tools are rebadged IR or Chicago pneumatic. The only matco tool I like is my plastic tree puller. It is at a perfect angle and has an edge on the tip.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

sharkytm posted:

Yeah. Even a full-blown short from battery hot to ground will just cook the meter and leads a bit. It's possible to hurt yourself with 12VDC, but it takes a special talent.

And there are few unfused circuits on a car, so the only way to cook the meter would be to connect directly to the battery.
Granted, many circuits are fused much higher than the 10A that an HF meter can handle. Which will go first in a dead short, the meter or the fuse? I don't know. I'd guess the fuse. One day I'll do an experiment when my every "last place I looked" is stocked with a meter, a tape measure, and an LED flashlight.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
My wife is amazing and surprised me at work. Extendable 1/2 " ratchet and 7 drawer end cabinet .

Sorry for the awkward angle. A rusty ford with a seized a/c compressor was in the way. Then after seeing this my old boss's dad walks over and hands me these.

Almost made up for the lovely poo poo gates belt that flew off a customers car......

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have a Fluke 88V I love to death and is one of 3 multimeters I'm allowed to use as per mercedes-benz for measuring ignition circuits on airbags without making party balloons. If you need a good meter, get a fluke. if you're just dicking around with 12V, most cheap 12V meters should be fine for you.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Pulled the trigger and ordered a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact wrench, will post videos of me loosening rust belt fasteners.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Pulled the trigger and ordered a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact wrench, will post videos of me loosening rust belt fasteners.
Congrats. You've made a good life choice.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I just got the non fuel 1/2 for a 175 the other day with one battery with charger. I really want to give it a run down on the skidmore at work and see how she does.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

And there are few unfused circuits on a car, so the only way to cook the meter would be to connect directly to the battery.
Granted, many circuits are fused much higher than the 10A that an HF meter can handle. Which will go first in a dead short, the meter or the fuse? I don't know. I'd guess the fuse. One day I'll do an experiment when my every "last place I looked" is stocked with a meter, a tape measure, and an LED flashlight.

Say you land up dumping 30A through the meter on a 50A fused circuit, though. Meter's still gonna go up.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Harbor freight's tool cart was just about the perfect size for what I needed, the same price as the AC Delco one at work and had an extra drawer for me to put stuff like a multimeter and zip ties in. All that poo poo piled on top is what is just constantly pulled out of my actual toolboxs whenever I try to work on something. Granted, alot of it is redundant since I wind up misplacing a 12mm socket, grabbing another one, misplacing that one, grabbing the deep well and then at the end of the job I have 3 sockets of the same size sitting next to me to put up. Hopefully this helps me keep poo poo slightly more organized once I finish setting it up. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Then after seeing this my old boss's dad walks over and hands me these.

I need these :stare: