Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
/loads up 40,000 words

ctrl+f "smart"

edit "dumb"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D1E posted:

I think I may have accidentally stumbled across an idea for possible comedy:

If the funny people in this thread (no, not you HotSauceShoTYME) want to ad-lib on the concept of being INSIDE THE INTERVIEW ROOM with ex-CIG employees on their very first job interview following CIG's bankruptcy there might be some potential there.

Possible Ex-CIG employees to consider "interviewing":
MONEY (HAT GUY)
CHERIE (CUTIE LIBRARIAN)
DISCOLANDO
BEN
BLACK LADY PROPERTY MANAGER
BEN'S WIFE (BEN'S WIFE)
SANDI
CHRIS "CHAIRMAN" ROBERTS

Possible extra comedy if hiring manager is motherfucking DR. DEREK SMART.

Mmm.... make SmartDad the letter of reference. So Anonymous Hiring Manager can ask questions like:

"We checked with your reference and he said that you're incredibly good at mismanaging projects into the ground. Tell me a little more about a time that you recently imploded a company you were in charge of."

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Roflan posted:

Don't forget that ME was Bioware's first action game of any type. KotOR and Jade Empire were third person and 3d, but they were also essentially turn based. Though Jade Empire tried action a little, it was mostly an illusion.

For their first FPS, I don't think the combat in Mass Effect was that bad... Mainly because I can imagine the myriad ways in which it could've been far worse.

Alpha Protocol comes to mind, though I much, much preferred Alpha Protocol's writing.

You know, on a side note. If they really want to find a manual override for turrets, why not turn it into a cellphone app. Someone suggest that Croberts use QR codes to manually control turrets for your friends.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

I was reading something about No Man's Sky and words mixed got up.

There is a TV adaptation in the works.

No worries. It was more for other readers than anything else. I really liked the books and I wanted people to be able to find them.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
EightAce is full of poo poo and trolling you all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sillybones posted:

The patrick call was pretty convincing.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
some more Lesnick-Speak for the masses.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sandi will have an unskippable 30 minute scene in Squadron 42 where she tells you about her being the best pilot in the galaxy ever since she was a little girl, and the butthurt special snowflakes who tried to keep her down.

She will blink about one million times.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Every community manager to ever live just had an aneurysm.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

So is Derek and Chris, so there's no real harm done.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Sandi will have an unskippable 30 minute scene in Squadron 42 where she tells you about her being the best pilot in the galaxy ever since she was a little girl, and the butthurt special snowflakes who tried to keep her down.

She will blink about one million times.

Procedural blinks.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
that Cutlass line at the end is quite a doozy.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

As we are discussing old shooters. I'm currently replaying Doom 3 as a little amuse-bouche before the new one comes out. I still dig the whole "dark ride amusement park" feel but the gunplay is laughable. It makes you realise how far shooters have come in the last decade. Just a shame Bungie decided to screw up every other aspect of Destiny apart from how cool the guns are.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Haha.

"We've designed a new ship for you, so you'll just have to buy another one instead of us actually giving you what you paid for!"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Out of interest - has anyone else ever tried to develop a triple A videogame using internet forums as the roadmap?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Holy poo poo no kidding. I mean, overall to the project it means gently caress all. But it's pretty amazing knowing the history of the pirate ship.

Buy this maneuverable pirate ship! Okay, now over the next year or two we are going to completely change what this ship is for and what it can do. But don't worry, we hear you all saying "WTF are you doing to the maneuverable pirate ship" so we're going to make a new ship you can buy, since we heard your complaints.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 2, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

smellmycheese posted:

Out of interest - has anyone else ever tried to develop a triple A videogame using internet forums as the roadmap?

zyborne clock

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Is this man unable to go one or two posts without saying the words 'Wing Commander'?

smellmycheese posted:

The entirety of the dialog from Borderlands 2 is jokes cast off from reddit.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

smellmycheese posted:

That makes me think of something - what is it with companies claiming their game is "Triple-A" before they've been released and reviewed? Since when is "Triple-A" a result of money and effort, instead of results? It's reminiscent of Disney's predilection to call all their brand-new films "Classics" as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
The more adjectives someone uses to assure, the less I trust them.

'Oh yeah, your feedback absolutely matters to us, it definitely impacts the development of the game I assure you.'

Also the mental image of Ben on a beach trying to lean over and pick up a starfish to throw it back into the ocean. "Your feedback matters!" he cries as he throws the starfish back into the brown sea. He knows that he won't see some of them for ten years, but he does it anyway, because it's the fidelitous thing to do.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I guess he's finished all his photocopying then

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Will it be the worst kind of immersion?

hm... wonder how the Stimpire "lore" would read, if you'd replace "pain" with "immersion".

Your lucky day. Today is Wednesday. Stim Council day where we discuss these pertinent issues.

Pretty much those two words are interchangeable in relation to the current context of discussing aspects of SQ42 and Star Citizen.

However, outside the world of CIG this is not always the case.

Case 1 (normal life):

Today I was in a car accident. It was immersive.
Today I was in a car accident. It was painful.

Obviously, these two are basically the same and lead credence to your thought that they are indeed basically synonyms.

Case 2 (Stimperian Citizen):

Today I won a boxing match in the Stimpire. It was immersive.
Today I won a boxing match in the Stimpire. It was not tripling-in-pain painful, since I was the victor and my hands were not chopped off.

Case 2 is somewhat the de facto standard in the Stimpire. It basically boils down to the definition of the worst type of pain. Ergo, one cannot substitute 'immersive' with 'painful' in the Stimpire since not all Stimpire Citizens experience the same level of pain and cannot comprehend the full level of immersion the Stimperor could conceive.

As always, open to feedback from various sources. We scour the empire looking at various social feeds, forums and comment cards to facilitate the council's directives.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sillybones posted:

Stop ruining my immersion!!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

I like the term 'budgeted'. Where to begin.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sillybones posted:

:tinfoil: I want to believe.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samizdata posted:

Old Man's War. But their tech was pretty advanced. The title comes from the fact that lots of old people sign up towards the ends of their lives when they have nothing left. The military makes them a gene-spliced superbody and copies their consciousness into it. And even with the awesome weapons and superbodies, the casualty rates are savage.

:downs: durr my cover shooter has cover in it :downs:

Since we disagree on this particular issue sir, I challenge you to fisticuffs

Loser binge watches every episode of ~around the verse~ in an oculus rift

E: woah actually meant to quote this post

alphabettitouretti posted:

It only occassionally improved. The sequels still had them signposting fights from a mile off.

If ME4 has you fighting in rooms conveniently laid out with waist high barriers again I will get real loving salty. Citadel suffered less from that because it felt like they'd designed it as a real place first.

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 3, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

Stop ruining my immersion!!!

as entertaining as it is, why would an employee risk his/her job by posting work stuff on a comedy forum? that's what beats me :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Is this man unable to go one or two posts without saying the words 'Wing Commander'?

The entirety of the dialog from Borderlands 2 is jokes cast off from reddit.

Wing commander is still his life and may always be. Its been his only claim to fame and its got him the job he has today.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

his nibs posted:

as entertaining as it is, why would an employee risk his/her job by posting work stuff on a comedy forum? that's what beats me :shrug:

I could see myself doing something like that if I were contemplating quitting but too cowardly to actually do it. Essentially leaving whether or not I quit up to chance.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's ok, you can melt the cutlass and give us more money to get what you originally wanted

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nebiros posted:

Alpha Protocol comes to mind, though I much, much preferred Alpha Protocol's writing.
I love Alpha Protocol so very much. Replaying it now and still enjoying it more than either of the two Mass Effect titles (1 and 2) I've played. Steven Heck and SIE are two of my favorite videogame characters ever.

Of course, Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will blow it away with their gameplay and writing, so I'm enjoying AP before I have to compare it to Roberts' masterpieces.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

"Sure the ship you spent 100 or more dollars on sucks rear end but because of that we are going to sell you another ship"

"Thanks Ben"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

I sometimes fantasize about cleaning up those houses from the show hoarders.

Like, going into a place and just throwing everything away in big garbage bags. Then sweeping/mopping/etc. And finally throwing a fresh coat of paint on everything and doing some basic yard maint just makes me feel good.

If I had the time I could see myself buying those crapholes, cleaning them, and then just selling them to get money to buy another craphole to clean.

Marry me. It takes all my self-discipline not to let the house turn into one of those hellholes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

This is God's work, you brave Commando.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

That was a drat fine book. Too bad about the rest of the series.
I've had fun with the series but agree that it's fizzling out. Still I loved the part when the main character realized that we are the baddies. It's Starship Troopers that becomes self-aware halfway through.

darkarchon posted:

Old man's war is one of the best modern sci-fi books and I can recommend it to anyone interested in sci-fi books. It's really really good. The sequels are great as well. Gulped it all down in a few weeks and am longing for more. I really hope Scalzi continues the world and series. Can't wait for more books in that world.
Man... that book from the perspective of the adolescent girl was pure shark jump. Not because I have anything against teenage girl POV but because it was just poo poo.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 2, 2016

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sillybones posted:

I'm interested as to why you think that

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

I love Alpha Protocol so very much. Replaying it now and still enjoying it more than either of the two Mass Effect titles (1 and 2) I've played. Steven Heck and SIE are two of my favorite videogame characters ever.

Of course, Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will blow it away with their gameplay and writing, so I'm enjoying AP before I have to compare it to Roberts' masterpieces.

Obsidian deserved the chance to make an Alpha Protocol 2.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

spacetoaster posted:

Like, going into a place and just throwing everything away in big garbage bags. Then sweeping/mopping/etc. And finally throwing a fresh coat of paint on everything and doing some basic yard maint just makes me feel good.

If I had the time I could see myself buying those crapholes, cleaning them, and then just selling them to get money to buy another craphole to clean.

literally my relish

EDIT: My grandma is a mega hoarder. Will give you a call when she passes and we have to buy a 30 yard dumpster for her stuff

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Roflan posted:

I could see myself doing something like that if I were contemplating quitting but too cowardly to actually do it. Essentially leaving whether or not I quit up to chance.

I hope to gently caress it's true of course :jiggled:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Become a landlord. You'll basically have a hazmat suit tucked away on standby since you'd be amazed what is in there after you evict someone. There will be no shortage of work.

• Locked thread