Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, crafting looks simpler, it was the mining that was throwing me, there's a few different numbers there between the furnaces and the miners I can't reconcile.

New question, I haven't looked at any of the bus pictures on the last page yet, wanted to see if I could figure out the idea first. Is this generally it, or if not, what mistake(s) am I making?

As you've surmised, adding a gap between bus belts helps greatly with creating offshoots, however a gap of two spaces is much better than one because it means that you can branch off with a splitter and easily have a horizontally-aligned underground belt to go around your other lanes. Here's one of my pics from THE BUS I posted several months ago in this thread. It's more of a late-game bus (7 belts and 3 pipes!), but it shows how to split off the green chips and also an incoming red chip addition to the bus from the factories on the left.

e: and here's its final form, producing practically every component in the game. Note that I'm using railway cars to better balance the wires going in to my green circuit factories (you CAN go direct wire fac -> circuit fac with inserters, but occasionally due to inserter stack size upgrades you'll get imbalance. Research is done at another base, however.

Also I believe someone asked about belt load balancing?

Breetai posted:

If you're making a factory with multiple input belts like I am, put one of these splitter formations in periodically throughout the line.

It's a load balancer that ensures that all 4 lanes are contributing equally to whichever lanes are outputting in front of it, which goes a long way towards ensuring that you're not wasting any lanes and that bottlenecks caused by drained lanes don't occur.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I honestly think if you're first learning the game, or even just want a break, making it peaceful is a good idea. Except if you're in multiplayer. Multiplayer factorio can be a little weird and everyone has to delegate out roles and sometimes you don't know what's going on or what you're doing so having a nice fall back that you can ALWAYS do which is "explore and shoot aliens you find" is a really good thing for multiplayer because it means you'll always have a nice fallback of something you can do that will be helpful forever.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

This is only my lab and oh my loving god did I have to maneuver power lines and belts and aaaaaaaaaa

Forer posted:

I honestly think if you're first learning the game, or even just want a break, making it peaceful is a good idea. Except if you're in multiplayer. Multiplayer factorio can be a little weird and everyone has to delegate out roles and sometimes you don't know what's going on or what you're doing so having a nice fall back that you can ALWAYS do which is "explore and shoot aliens you find" is a really good thing for multiplayer because it means you'll always have a nice fallback of something you can do that will be helpful forever.

Yep. Peaceful I be on. Which is kinda meh because I just made my new shotgun.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

oh hey it's 1130 where the gently caress did the last four hours go

Factorio is a very difficult game to stop playing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tenebrais posted:

I realized this when I first bought into the alpha way long ago and I had to hold my tongue suggesting people play it because I wanted it to get real stable first. Seeing that I had to put in very little effort to help make it as popular as it is is very reassuring that my tastes in video games is still solid.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tenebrais posted:

Just one more tick

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna take the day off from it. My sleep schedule is starting to suffer.
Wish me luck cuz I'm already jonesing pretty bad.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Petroleum seems to be the limiting reagent in general how do i maximize my gas production?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Research advanced oil tech: you can crack using water and convert heavy oil to light oil, and light oil to gas. That's it, no other options. Generally this is the first thing I research once I have blue science.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Azuth0667 posted:

Petroleum seems to be the limiting reagent in general how do i maximize my gas production?
Eat more beans

A neat little mod that adds a nice touch to the game:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=20712
Automatically aims your flashlight at whatever entity is under your cursor, if you're not moving.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

widespread posted:

This is only my lab and oh my loving god did I have to maneuver power lines and belts and aaaaaaaaaa

Yep. Peaceful I be on. Which is kinda meh because I just made my new shotgun.

Consider using chests as little buffers/short-term-storage. As you have it now, you'll only produce red+green science when there's less than a certain amount in the lab(i.e. when it's doing research), and also the production capacity you have going on at the moment is probably enough to keep a lab or two extra going as well.

Also I haven't played since 0.12.10/6months ago, I think this is what I used to use for greens

I remember basically just duplicating what were pairs of green science assemblers+the setup pictured feeding them to scale things up to whatever I needed, but I never worked out whether or not it was particularly balanced/efficient.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

lohli posted:

Consider using chests as little buffers/short-term-storage. As you have it now, you'll only produce red+green science when there's less than a certain amount in the lab(i.e. when it's doing research), and also the production capacity you have going on at the moment is probably enough to keep a lab or two extra going as well.

Also I haven't played since 0.12.10/6months ago, I think this is what I used to use for greens

I remember basically just duplicating what were pairs of green science assemblers+the setup pictured feeding them to scale things up to whatever I needed, but I never worked out whether or not it was particularly balanced/efficient.

If i remember correctly, the limiting factor for green science production is at the beaker production state, i.e. one conveyer belt factory and one inserter factory can easily supply multiple green science factories.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
One inserter factory and one belt factory is enough for 12 green science.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
And since you usually don't need 12 green science factories, you can feed the excess inserters to your fast inserter factory for blue science.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Oh hey I love puzzle / tycoon games, let me take a look at this!

This game is straight up loving drugs.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mikojan posted:

This game is straight up loving drugs.

Confirmed, right down to the feeling of increased irritability when not able to play.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I'm getting to the point of rebuilding my main base because of the spaghetti belt. However, I'd like to have 4 things before I do that.

I've got rails started, however I want to change from point to point type rail network to an actual well designed rail network. Does anyone have either a good video guide or a very good detailed picture on how to build a drive-on-right(or left) T-intersection? Also related, what is the current best/good loading/unloading stations.

And what is a good design for using electric furnaces? And what is the recommend modules to have in them?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
For modules, I usually go two routes.

1: Green modules everywhere. Reduce that carbon footprint to prevent bites from gnawing your face off.
2. Balance of Blue and Purple. The speed loss from Prdoctivity modules is balanced by the Speed module. Get slightly more out of your raw resources for no time loss.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hit my ? for a tileable electric furnace design.

you always want efficiency in your furnaces+drills, half production, half speed in your green circuit and plastic bar factories, speed in your dry oil wells, and production in your full wells and alien artifact factories.

start dumping a single module into drills and then furnaces before you do anything else - the power savings is well worth it.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

azsedcf posted:

I've got rails started, however I want to change from point to point type rail network to an actual well designed rail network. Does anyone have either a good video guide or a very good detailed picture on how to build a drive-on-right(or left) T-intersection? Also related, what is the current best/good loading/unloading stations.

Foehammer posted:

Here's a chain signaled T-junction for a right hand drive system:

code:
H4sIAAAAAAAA/51X7YqrMBB9ldLfWhpjdKX4LEU0tIHeuKhd9lJ892uM9Gps7Zn82cJ6TubjZGYyVb271WVx253zh9Sd6pRs88dDF39kvm+7plCXaxcOP7d9
8F23w/da54/fPMyCv3nI0r4PJnB5b35k9QoajdC4DyrVyHL8d/ykbdngro3PDgkMzClgezKnnAyC7cmMcjIGZhN2lnIB87I5jQECfxlWQtc3s9bw6DEsXwXx
P3aDDlt10YVLOoiRdhBzIoftpa+T9jF88HZzHCtW7ojPGo4SLko0xWOgFN0M+1aLkFkxxFKMeMksr4XSW1rGS3qEBwSWr7BYapFZHiNW2dGQojkpwbOOBbSO
B8pZ6kfL/GiM+fGmZtujlyhM7C1iy1uElYVJOvOjhW+69ubFiLxtIdV4HDMx/MWnGnSwzbCTYKx3GiKnBy1cXaAGP8kJTsLEbxIQ3hcccMV4EpO7xSqtcAPw
q3/P8vesfsKccsfURp+ww2p7Vr2fUs6QglVK/WY14bmBQQ0yI/vC3QiwOsxGY3AEGNRcKEZv1swNnKOSO29M7M2QWS/BdWu5bWFNiDsWPnpD6FiUhYiyw1FW
OHSR5BO2D1RZa7MNK11JI/gr7nCk/RwFa2GeH/k2Nw7WF2dw4NTI7t7o3fkkdfUPN0laqKoPAAA=

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have elected to start a new map because oh my god sudden bodies of water offscreen are assholes my base is ruined :argh:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I have elected to start a new map because oh my god sudden bodies of water offscreen are assholes my base is ruined :argh:

If big open spaces are your thing, I heartily recommend choosing 'low' terrain segmentation for your next map. Just don't pick 'very low' unless you like seeing only one terrrain type, ever.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

For modules, I usually go two routes.

1: Green modules everywhere. Reduce that carbon footprint to prevent bites from gnawing your face off.
2. Balance of Blue and Purple. The speed loss from Prdoctivity modules is balanced by the Speed module. Get slightly more out of your raw resources for no time loss.

All production all day. Time loss? No such thing! If raw materials are backing up on the belts, then you make more assemblers to use those raws. Input/sec is the only real limiter (except for real estate sometimes depending on your map)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Now that multiplayer works for the most part, another iteration of lets all play factorio could be fun. The server stops when nobody is connected so saves wouldn't have to be passed around. You could even have someone else online just to take pictures and commentate. Everyone gets one hour or two, it would be a wonderful mess.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ciaphas posted:

Check out the Landfill mod, lets you use stone to create water erasing chunks of land.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hey, does anyone have any experience with mods in here? I had an idea for a mod last night but it would require modifying resource spawns (replacing an the individual tiles of an iron cluster with grade 1-5 iron, in short) and have absolutely no idea how to do that. Designing a building or recipes is simpler but that one is completely beyond me and RSO's code doesn't make too much sense.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I thought I was being smart and decided to have all my things that required melting run into the same area of furnaces. Why is this silly furnace jammed?

The arm on the right side is trying to put iron ore into it, but it's currently got an iron plate in it. The furnace has decided to not try melting that iron plate into steel.

The arm on the left isn't emptying the thing because there's no end product.

These are those electric furnace things that some person from this thread made. Is this a bug or something I don't understand?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 2, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bedurndurn posted:

I thought I was being smart and decided to have all my things that required melting run into the same area of furnaces. Why is this silly furnace jammed?

So the arm on the right side is trying to put iron ore into it, but it's currently got a steel plate into it. The arm on the left isn't emptying the thing because it's decided it being lazy is fun?

These are those electric furnace things that some person from this thread made. Is this a bug or something I don't understand?

Take us a screenshot of the interface for the furnace. It will be easier to tell what's wrong if we can see what's in it. Have you tried dropping an iron ore in it yourself? I'm a huge idiot, you did that.

Also, in general, multifunctional smelters are a bad idea. Factories work best when each machine has one and only one job to do.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 2, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bedurndurn posted:

So the arm on the right side is trying to put iron ore into it, but it's currently got a steel plate into it. The arm on the left isn't emptying the thing because it's decided it being lazy is fun?

It's got a plate in the input on accident (i see a couple on the input belt) This is possible because plates in a furnace will make steel, but it needs more than one to make it. I can't help with how the iron plates got on your ore belt though.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Bedurndurn posted:

The arm on the right side is trying to put iron ore into it, but it's currently got an iron plate in it. The furnace has decided to not try melting that iron plate into steel.

The arm on the left isn't emptying the thing because there's no end product.

Looks like it's trying to create Steel, but steel requires 5 Iron Plates. If you want to have your mass refining area, you should probably handle steel production someplace else because it will clog your furances like this.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

The iron plate is in an input slot, not an output slot, which is why the arm on the left isn't doing anything about it. Doing a big adaptive system like this doesn't work in general with any recipes that require more than one ingredient, so the steel recipe (5 iron plate -> 1 steel plate) you'll have to run separately.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious why the input arm picked up iron ore. Inserters usually only take items required by the factory they're inserting to - so eg when the furnace input is full they won't try to grab anything. For assemblers they'll only pick up items relevant to the recipe, and I presumed the same of furnaces - if they're smelting steel the arms should only be inputting iron plates.

I've never tried mixing my furnace inputs, but I did once have a copper mine accidentally picking up some stone, and it didn't clog up my furnaces like that. It just meant I had stray stone bricks on my copper line.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna take the day off from it. My sleep schedule is starting to suffer.
Wish me luck cuz I'm already jonesing pretty bad.

The first week I owned Factorio, I slept twice.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tenebrais posted:

I'm curious why the input arm picked up iron ore. Inserters usually only take items required by the factory they're inserting to - so eg when the furnace input is full they won't try to grab anything. For assemblers they'll only pick up items relevant to the recipe, and I presumed the same of furnaces - if they're smelting steel the arms should only be inputting iron plates.

I've never tried mixing my furnace inputs, but I did once have a copper mine accidentally picking up some stone, and it didn't clog up my furnaces like that. It just meant I had stray stone bricks on my copper line.

You don't set recipes for furnaces. They accept input for any valid thing they can smelt into something else. In this case, valid input is iron or copper ore into plates, or 5x iron plate into steel but its waiting for 4 more plates to continue.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks guys! I had the whole thing melting iron, copper and occasionally stone. It worked really well actually. I tried adding in some iron plates to get steel, but it looks like the 5 plate input requirement made it behave poorly. My steel works will have to be a separate system.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mixed inputs are still a bad idea, because at some point you're going to need green arms to sort them back out before use, and green arm bandwidth is expensive compared to belt bandwidth. Or else you're dumping the poo poo in a provider chest and making your drones sort it, and drone bandwidth is REALLY expensive.

But both of those things will only be self-evident once you've played for a while, though. Factorio is an exercise in leaving room to grow.

chairface posted:

So I actually really appreciated the :sperg: about science output ratios. Got any other useful cheater rules like that for poo poo like steel production, circuit fab, etc? If someone's already done the math I'd rather just have a chart that reinvent the wheel.

The usual for circuit fab is three wire plants feeding two circuit plants.

code:
>>>>>>>>>copper>>>>>>>>>
 |  |     |  |     |  |
[wire]   [wire]   [wire]
    |     |  |     |
   [circuit][circuit]
      | |      | |
>>>>>>|>>>iron>>>|>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<circuits<<<<<<<<

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 2, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So I actually really appreciated the :spergin: about science output ratios. Got any other useful cheater rules like that for poo poo like steel production, circuit fab, etc? If someone's already done the math I'd rather just have a chart that reinvent the wheel.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Foreman can help you do all of the ratios for everything, even with what buildings you have. Whenever I'm about to create a factory to produce something advanced, I reference this so I don't use up more area than I need.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

chairface posted:

So I actually really appreciated the :spergin: about science output ratios. Got any other useful cheater rules like that for poo poo like steel production, circuit fab, etc? If someone's already done the math I'd rather just have a chart that reinvent the wheel.

I usually pen+paper it myself, but there's tools out there for calculating entire production chains. The major one I'm aware of is Foreman, but you may or may not have to look around a bit for an up-to-date version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
My co-op partner wanted to try Bob's mods during our current map. I was aware that it was greg tech levels of busy work, but the partner insisted. So this is my attempt at mapping out how to get to blue science, with some added help from Yuoki to avoid the oil chain and the fact that Bob changes the battery recipe.