Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Thanks for reassuring me of what I was already thinking.

I'm in southern WI, so I get rear end loads of salt combined with weeks of being to cold to wash the poo poo off. It's just an extra worry of soon having a real commute to deal with. I guess its time to just suck it up and buy a new door, and save up for a graduation present to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I love how the gen 4 Prius looks, its so ugly as sin that it confirms what I've guessed for a while, that Toyota is actively antagonizing "car people" by making the Prius both incredibly obnoxious to look at while also being practical enough to guarantee their omnipresence

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

Am I missing anything really obvious here? I feel like with my preferences I've backed myself into a corner with very few options in the USA. :(

Can I pimp the Genesis sedan again? No MT,but if you want AWD with luxury, good performance and reliability it's a good package.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Guinness posted:

Am I missing anything really obvious here? I feel like with my preferences I've backed myself into a corner with very few options in the USA. :(

I was going to suggest considering some Volvos, but with the requirement for a manual you'll have to deal with an older car, which is really a shame. They are really nice, older cars tho, if that's on the table.
(Get a 2007 V70R with the (very nice m66) 6 speed; they're sporty volvos (??!) which confuses everyone, thus they're cheaper than other sporty wagons.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IRQ posted:

It's not like any Prius isn't hideous.

The 2 and 3 were just really bland.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TKIY posted:

Can I pimp the Genesis sedan again? No MT,but if you want AWD with luxury, good performance and reliability it's a good package.

I want to like the Genesis, but it's just too big and soft for what I'm looking for. And of course being automatic is a mark against it to me, though I completely understand why a car like the Genesis isn't offered with one. If I were looking for a full size luxury car it'd be a contender.

Blitter posted:

I was going to suggest considering some Volvos, but with the requirement for a manual you'll have to deal with an older car, which is really a shame. They are really nice, older cars tho, if that's on the table.
(Get a 2007 V70R with the (very nice m66) 6 speed; they're sporty volvos (??!) which confuses everyone, thus they're cheaper than other sporty wagons.)

I've thought about it really hard, and I do think some older Volvos are awesome in that cool dad kind of way, but I just ultimately don't think that buying a 10 year old European car to replace my 13 year old European car is going in quite the direction I'm looking for. I do have a very soft spot for Volvos because I've RallyCrossed an old (early-mid 90s) 245 and 744T multiple times, but those cars were bought for under $1000 each with 200k+ miles and certainly looked the part.

I do really like what I see with the fresh investment into Volvo that has resulted in the new XC90 and V90. I've definitely got my eye on them hoping they release a cool new V40 or V60 in the next couple years.

The more I think about it the more the WRX seems like the obvious choice, except for it being a damned sedan. At a hair over 30k it's a hell of a lot of car for the money, but I think I should still go check out the Golf R and maybe some lightly-used S4s and 335xis just for the lulz if I'm going to give in to a sedan.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 24, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How flexible is your budget?

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-E/model-E63S4S

Edit: There's also the boring, non AMG version. But who would want that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
No stick shift from MB.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Instead of making GBS threads up the AI chat thread I have arrived here instead. I'm in the UK, I don't know if the build quality of certain cars differs between continents?

Proposed Budget: £15000 max

New or Used: Either

Body Style: 4dr, Saloon/Estate/SUV

How will you be using the car?: Mainly commuting, I could be averaging 600 miles a week so economy and comfort are paramount.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?

I'll admit that I am sucker for shiny things and spending my drive with my arse heated by my leather seats would make the shallow part of me very happy, but I am prepared to compromise. For instance I love the new Ford Mustang but if driving one doubles my fuel costs then it's not for me right now.

What aspects are most important to you?

The main aspects I'm looking for are reliability and economy, I want something that can do high mileage without extorting me on fuel. I should add I'm 6'9 so driver comfort and leg room is essential.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Go see if you fit in a Prius, then buy a Prius.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No stick shift from MB.

DCT is better. :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IRQ posted:

Go see if you fit in a Prius, then buy a Prius.

He doesn't fit in a prius.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Proposed Budget: $15Kish
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback, small-ish SUV/crossover, or a wagon
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, would like a decent amount of space for hauling things around (mulch, topsoil, plants, etc), I don't see myself ever needing to tow anything though. Will most likely be hauling a family in the next few years.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Hell naw.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, safety and something easy to work on. Manual transmission. I bought an 02 Saturn SL when I turned 16 (in 2004) and have been driving it (and doing almost all maintenance myself) ever since. She still runs fine at 190K miles, but it's just time for me to upgrade. I realized the only reason I'm still driving her is purely sentimental.

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 26, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KillHour posted:

DCT is better. :colbert:

Better at racking up expensive as gently caress transmission repair bills~~~~

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Speedshift MCT isn't a dual clutch, it's a regular 7G-tronic with clutches instead of(or in addition to? who the gently caress knows) a torque converter.

Merkin Muffley posted:

Proposed Budget: $15Kish
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback, small-ish SUV/crossover, or a wagon
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, would like a decent amount of space for hauling things around (mulch, topsoil, plants, etc), I don't see myself ever needing to tow anything though. Will most likely be hauling a family in the next few years.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Hell naw.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, safety and something easy to work on. Manual transmission. I bought an 02 Saturn SL when I turned 16 (in 2004) and have been driving it (and doing almost all maintenance myself) ever since. She still runs fine at 190K miles, but it's just time for me to upgrade. I realized the only reason I'm still driving her is purely sentimental.

Do you need a truck?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 28, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Proposed Budget: Soft cap of $30k, could go up to $35k if there's a car that really would work better for me
Body Style: Sedan, Coupe, Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work (mostly driving through cities), grocery shopping, driving in Chicago, occasionally taking the highway to the suburbs to visit family once every few months
What aspects are most important to you?: I live in Chicago so the car has to at least handle ice and snow decently. Also heated seats would be really nice in winter.

On a similar note, as I live in Chicago I'd also like a car that isn't any longer than my Kia Sportage since a longer car makes parallel parking much harder, and I parallel park kinda often.

I only drive myself and maybe one or two other people around so I only really care about how comfortable the car is for the front two seats.

A good MPG is always nice.

I'm a sucker for stuff like keyless start, digital speedometers, etc. Stuff that'll make the car feel really new compared to the 2012 Kia Sportage I currently drive. I know these are just extra things that cost more money and provide no benefit but if y'all can think of a car that just happens to have some of those fancy features that isn't unjustifiably expensive that'd be great.

Right now I'm looking at a Honda Fit. It has a lot of what I want, and its folding seats give it a lot of storage space which I don't generally need but it's nice to not have to ever worry if I can fit things into my car, like if I see an armchair or something I really want I don't need to go out and rent a truck to get it.

On the other hand, I can't find much on the Honda Fit's winter driving performance other than Edmunds mentioning its breaks aren't fantastic, and I'm worried I'm sacrificing things I do need like MPG for that extra storage space.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

35k will get you an accord exl ad a set of stealies and winter tires.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DrProsek posted:

Proposed Budget: Soft cap of $30k, could go up to $35k if there's a car that really would work better for me
Body Style: Sedan, Coupe, Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work (mostly driving through cities), grocery shopping, driving in Chicago, occasionally taking the highway to the suburbs to visit family once every few months
What aspects are most important to you?: I live in Chicago so the car has to at least handle ice and snow decently. Also heated seats would be really nice in winter.

On a similar note, as I live in Chicago I'd also like a car that isn't any longer than my Kia Sportage since a longer car makes parallel parking much harder, and I parallel park kinda often.

I only drive myself and maybe one or two other people around so I only really care about how comfortable the car is for the front two seats.

A good MPG is always nice.

I'm a sucker for stuff like keyless start, digital speedometers, etc. Stuff that'll make the car feel really new compared to the 2012 Kia Sportage I currently drive. I know these are just extra things that cost more money and provide no benefit but if y'all can think of a car that just happens to have some of those fancy features that isn't unjustifiably expensive that'd be great.

Right now I'm looking at a Honda Fit. It has a lot of what I want, and its folding seats give it a lot of storage space which I don't generally need but it's nice to not have to ever worry if I can fit things into my car, like if I see an armchair or something I really want I don't need to go out and rent a truck to get it.

On the other hand, I can't find much on the Honda Fit's winter driving performance other than Edmunds mentioning its breaks aren't fantastic, and I'm worried I'm sacrificing things I do need like MPG for that extra storage space.

Well if you're looking to spend that much money you could splurge on an Impreza hatch and some winter tires and $10k of meth and strippers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Any modern car with esc and winter tires will be fine in an urban area unless you are a first responder. If you are a first responder, get something with studded tires (if legal) and locking diffs.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Tell me about buying a car online, miles away, with no way to see or drive it first. I've never done this before and I'm kind of nervous about getting a used car without even seeing it. The dealer would ship it to me for less than the cost of a plane ticket (+fuel to drive back) so I feel like it'd be dumb to fly out just so I could see it first :shrug:

It's a 2yr old bmw with 27000 miles, so there's still some warrantee left from the manufacturer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Find a way to get an independent inspection on it? Some people can do it as a mobile service.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Not sure if the OP is up to date, but my wife's car just got totalled. It was a 2000 Chevy Malibu and we're looking at maybe a Toyota Corolla 2015 XS or whatever with a backup camera. I had an old Corolla 1992 and it is still driving in the wilds of Michigan and I currently own a Prius C, so I'm a huge Toyota partisan. My wife is a little more rock flag and eagle but is open to suggestions.

We've got around 3.2K from insurance on the totaled car and maybe another K for down payment. We'd like to pay less than $300/mo for the car.

We live in Oakland, which has a robust second hand market (techies are good at wanting new toys and abandoning perfectly good toys). Any suggestions?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Proposed Budget: $20-28k.
Body Style: Crossover
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, but good for long distance people hauling in all types of weather. Growing family, five people and a dog seems a good barometer.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No, not really.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety and reliability would be highest. I'm living in Texas now, but have family in much colder climates I visit a few times a year so AWD I feel would be a good idea although I know that's sacrificing some mpg. Auto or manual doesn't really matter to me.

Was doing a bit of initial research and the Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester caught my eye, though I can certainly be convinced otherwise. That just seems like the form factor of what i'm looking for.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Is it generally smart to spend the max you are willing on a used car? I have been looking around at available prius and civics in my area and have found a number of car options. What I don't know is what mileage range I really should be targeting as I can go as low as 30k for a good $13k which I am willing to pay. Is there a certain mileage or age range in which I will get the most bang for my buck?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
100000 to 150000 miles if the scheduled maintenance has been done. Lot of cars will do 200k no problem, good ones will do 300, most cars with those miles will be near the bottom of their depreciation curves but still have lots of life left. However that is getting into needing to know what you are doing, re: judging the condition of the car.

Alternately, right before a major scheduled maintenance which hasn't been done yet, like a timing belt or something. Will vary from model to model whether it has such an interval and how bad it is.

Both of these points should be well below your price range for almost all vehicles.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Proposed Budget: Up to 5k

Body Style:: Sedan, Coupe, Hatchback, something with at least sorta competent MPG

How will you be using the car?: Transportation to work and back home, and occasionally driving to the next town over to help out some people. It will be a one-person car.

What aspects are most important to you?: A cheap, durable and relatively low-maintenance car, and I don't care what it looks like. No bullshit, nothing fancy, and no crazy expensive parts. I'm not familiar with all these cars so some of them might have expensive parts that would break often - I'm still in the process of doing research. The car would be used in the semi-rural and sometimes townish Oregon area. The acquisition of said car needs to happen quite quickly after I get certain news later this week.

My current 'best' choices are limited by location & range and are as such:

2005 Hyundai Sonata (one owner), 122k miles, 5k
2000 Infinity i30, 70k miles, 4.5k
2002 Volvo S60 T5, 140k miles, 4.9k
2001 Honda Accord LX, 130k miles, 4k
2001 Honda Accord, 140k, 4k, they just replaced the timing belt, timing idlers, water pump, thermostat, did transmission service and oil change.

I'm personally gravitating towards the Sonata because it's only had one owner, but the Infinity sounds nice too having so few miles, relatively. Don't want to 'attach' myself to any of these, though, prior to actually buying it. Some of the others might be one owner only, but so far the most info I have is on the Sonata.

The advice I've got from elsewhere is to go for an Accord; thus, I have two different listing I'm looking at.

Any suggestions on which of these would be best, or another car for this purpose that would be even better? Like I said, I don't have a huge amount of choice but I'll still take any possible suggestions that aren't on this list and see if there's a town nearby that has it.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 2, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sandpiper posted:

What aspects are most important to you?: A cheap, durable and relatively low-maintenance car, and I don't care what it looks like. No bullshit, nothing fancy, and no crazy expensive parts.

2001 Honda Accord, 140k, 4k, they just replaced the timing belt, timing idlers, water pump, thermostat, did transmission service and oil change.

Sounds like they did all the expensive work already. Get a PPI, get their records, and buy it.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like they did all the expensive work already. Get a PPI, get their records, and buy it.

Thanks for the quick response. The other Accord recently replaced its brakes, by the way.

I'll get that done ASAP. Appreciate it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sandpiper posted:

Thanks for the quick response. The other Accord recently replaced its brakes, by the way.

I'll get that done ASAP. Appreciate it.

Is this the 4 cylinder or 6?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Bovril Delight posted:

Is this the 4 cylinder or 6?

I'll find out when I go to see it in person tomorrow. I did some googling based on your question and it looks like the V6 has a few more problems than getting the V4, so I'll keep that in mind.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Proposed Budget: 7-10k
New or Used: Used. Def
Body Style: Small/Medium Truck
How will you be using the car?: I don't need a ~*manly*~ pickup truck. I'm more thinking of hauling a 1-4 bicycles plus light cargo. No towing or anything I just need a sedan alternative but I've always driven late 80s/early 90s tiny Asian econoboxes so I'm out of my element
What aspects are most important to you? Definitely reliability and maneuverability are top. I live in metro Boston and while there's plenty of room for fuckoff huge cars I don't like driving a giant tank. I also have always driven manual so that's also important. Fuel economy I figure is out the window but idgaf about v8's or any of that garbage since I'm not really going to haul anything important.

Preliminary research says 10 year old Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger because everything else is loving HUGE but it seems like trucks are all high milage. I kind of like the T-1000 but everything in Boston is like >200k mi.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

what I really want is a hilux or kei truck but obviously that ain't happening

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Proposed Budget: 7-10k
New or Used: Used. Def
Body Style: Small/Medium Truck
How will you be using the car?: I don't need a ~*manly*~ pickup truck. I'm more thinking of hauling a 1-4 bicycles plus light cargo. No towing or anything I just need a sedan alternative but I've always driven late 80s/early 90s tiny Asian econoboxes so I'm out of my element
What aspects are most important to you? Definitely reliability and maneuverability are top. I live in metro Boston and while there's plenty of room for fuckoff huge cars I don't like driving a giant tank. I also have always driven manual so that's also important. Fuel economy I figure is out the window but idgaf about v8's or any of that garbage since I'm not really going to haul anything important.

Preliminary research says 10 year old Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger because everything else is loving HUGE but it seems like trucks are all high milage. I kind of like the T-1000 but everything in Boston is like >200k mi.

Any reason you aren't considering just getting a hatchback/crossover and bike rack?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

My dad had a RAV4, my mom a subaru outback, and I don't like SUVs. I actually hate the idea of big cars but its hard to haul more than two on a strap on bike rack

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hitch mount bike racks are where it's at and you can definitely get ones that'll hold four. And loads of cars can have a hitch.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

powderific posted:

Hitch mount bike racks are where it's at and you can definitely get ones that'll hold four. And loads of cars can have a hitch.

Seconding this; Thule sells a hitch mount that I put six bikes (~18K of bikes on it!) on with no hesitation; it also pivoted down so hatches/trunks/rear doors were still useful.

Unless you actually need one, get a suitable car with a decent hitch and avoid the insane premium and crap fuel economy of decent small trucks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sandpiper posted:

I'll find out when I go to see it in person tomorrow. I did some googling based on your question and it looks like the V6 has a few more problems than getting the V4, so I'll keep that in mind.

Honda in general, and Accords in particular, had problems with automatic transmissions in that era, especially coupled with the V6. Four-cylinders autos should be fine, manual transmissions (though I think they are rare to nonexistent behind V6s) are fine, but a V6 auto should be avoided.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honda in general, and Accords in particular, had problems with automatic transmissions in that era, especially coupled with the V6. Four-cylinders autos should be fine, manual transmissions (though I think they are rare to nonexistent behind V6s) are fine, but a V6 auto should be avoided.

I called back earlier today to re-confirm some stuff, it's a 2.3 VTEC V4.

It turns out it's being sold from a repair/sales shop, and they have a CarFax on it so I should be fine in that regard. Because of that, I don't think I'd need to get a PPI run on it unless for some reason these guys are con artists and I'm being duped (I checked their online rep, and it's good), but I'm feelin' like this is my best option for sure.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 3, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Get a ppi I looked at a car from a shop once ppi returned results thst would cost more than the vehicle was worth..
Just because it's from a shop doesn't mean they did anything to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Blitter posted:

Seconding this; Thule sells a hitch mount that I put six bikes (~18K of bikes on it!) on with no hesitation; it also pivoted down so hatches/trunks/rear doors were still useful.

Unless you actually need one, get a suitable car with a decent hitch and avoid the insane premium and crap fuel economy of decent small trucks.

Thank you for the recommendation but that's not really what I'm looking for.

My research seems to indicate nobody makes a decent mid sized truck anymore so it looks like im definitely going usec