Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

"Last race of the year" in New York, in November. mhmm mhmm
"as big as Daytona 500" again, in new york, in november. mhmm mhmm
"the huge racing fanbase in New York" [looks at attendance at the Brickyard] mhmm mhmm

This is some subpar trolling by you, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

idk man if there's one thing that springs to mind when i think about NYC it's "potential NASCAR hotbed"

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Close Michigan International Speedway, Race Belle Isle

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

"Last race of the year" in New York, in November. mhmm mhmm
"as big as Daytona 500" again, in new york, in november. mhmm mhmm
"the huge racing fanbase in New York" [looks at attendance at the Brickyard] mhmm mhmm

This is some subpar trolling by you, my friend.

unlike most of the nation, northeast fans can tolerate the cold, it's 50's and sunny here in mid November

also I don't think Indianapolis is dead center in the Northeast megalopolis where a fifth of the US population lives within 200 miles

e- in November the Hudson Valley receives 3.5 inches of rain/snowfall historically, I bet Florida posts more! lol and the average high temp is in the mid 50's

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 2, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

good reasoning, we better sell the football teams before anyone finds out

e- reminder that within this "non racing fan area" we have dozens of tracks (which LA doesn't). we get 7-10k people for Eastern States, Syracuse would draw 70k. you would've got 70k at that track consistently just from the race fans outside NYC

I agree with Viking.

NY/NY/CT/PA is stock car/modifieds/dirt track country. There's a legit fanbase there that NASCAR didn't really tap into it's full potential.

(....they really should have saved Trenton as a track, but I digress....). I'm not sure a Daytona clone would have been the way to go. Perhaps a short track would have been better?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

unlike most of the nation, northeast fans can tolerate the cold, it's 50's and sunny here in mid November

also I don't think Indianapolis is dead center in the Northeast megalopolis where a fifth of the US population lives within 200 miles

e- in November the Hudson Valley receives 3.5 inches of rain/snowfall historically, I bet Florida posts more! lol and the average high temp is in the mid 50's

The recent failings of the Brickyard 400 have more to do with NASCAR itself rather than the Indiana race fan.

From 1994 to 2008? They had a hell of a weekend they could sell to race fans. They had USAC race with Trucks and Xfinity over at Lucas Oil. You also had a national series that was a great deal more popular than the hometown IndyCar/CART series and had homegrown talent running in said series.

Then Goodyear happened, and then NASCAR started to oversaturate the market by putting races in nearby Kentucky, and Chicagoland. They're now left with what we're seeing right now.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean, yeah, it's short track country? But not really because our short tracks are 1/2+

It was going to be more of a Talladega clone, it was wider than Daytona. 300,000 people like they say? Doubtful. If they held a race there this year? 100k easy. Even if I concede the late year date, put that poo poo in May or September and you'll pack the loving place. Remember, New Hampshire is always loving packed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Viking there are all of maybe 50,000 nascar fans north of the mason-dixon. New York probably has ~10,000 of them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would bet there are more in Indiana since it is the only southern state north of the line. Also see the quantity of Indiana NASCAR drivers it is oddly disproportionate.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

I would bet there are more in Indiana since it is the only southern state north of the line. Also see the quantity of Indiana NASCAR drivers it is oddly disproportionate.

Wisconsin man.....Michigan too. Wisconsin's short track scene is pretty legendary. Kulwicki? Kenseth? Trickle? Menard?

New England...but that goes without saying. The Northeast is modified crazy.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
elko "motor speedway" best sediffd

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Pearn Count: -1

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20160302c

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

elko "motor speedway" best sediffd

It's up there. Iowa is also good.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I-70 or bust, that track always put on good ASA races.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Looks like furniture row isn't as good at cheating as Joe gibbs is yet.

The Lazer
Jul 22, 2005
I turned 18 and all I got was this stupid account.
Don't know if this would be up any of you guy's alley. Some game company is trying to crowd fund a dirt racing game. This is the link to the Reddit post about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comments/48mnz3/new_dirt_track_racing_game_crowd_funded_on/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Lazer posted:

Don't know if this would be up any of you guy's alley. Some game company is trying to crowd fund a dirt racing game. This is the link to the Reddit post about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comments/48mnz3/new_dirt_track_racing_game_crowd_funded_on/

I've been watching this, but it's the former Ratbag team so I don't have high hopes for realism. Probably still be fun, though.

rFactor remains top dog for dirt sim racing for now.

e- see, this part here

quote:

Dynamic Track Conditions (the track changes as you race on it. The groove you run on eventually darkens and gets slower which means you will have to search around the track for a faster groove)

It's not always necessarily true that a rubbered over groove gets slower. At my local track, for instance, the big block guys sometimes set their car up to utilize it and they drive the track like it's pavement. The sprint car guys do it too, because the type of clay that we use allows this. Not all clay is created equal, and such broad statements like the above don't leave me with any hope that different tracks will be unique, just that the surface will do the exact same thing every race with a background swap. That's not a dynamic track surface, that's a scripted event.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
someone talk me out of this

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can't becuse then I"ll be at ransomville cheering you on from the stands if they do vingage races there.

But what's your hobby budget, I hope its high because you know what they say about making a small forutne racing.. start with a big one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

tater_salad posted:

I can't becuse then I"ll be at ransomville cheering you on from the stands if they do vingage races there.

But what's your hobby budget, I hope its high because you know what they say about making a small forutne racing.. start with a big one.

I'm actually looking for an 80's vintage mod to convert to a street car, which is why that one is golden. Junkyard engine and trans, plexiglass windshield with working wipers, and a set of lights and I'm good. I'd need bicycle fenders when the DMV issues the special construction tag but I'd be riding dirty without them once I got plates.

e- though the vintage guys are exponentially cheaper than regular racing. 70% of those guys just stroke and probably only eat a few sets of tires a year

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 3, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Take $2,000 and a trailer and pick that up. Does that work?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

VikingSkull posted:

I'm actually looking for an 80's vintage mod to convert to a street car, which is why that one is golden. Junkyard engine and trans, plexiglass windshield with working wipers, and a set of lights and I'm good. I'd need bicycle fenders when the DMV issues the special construction tag but I'd be riding dirty without them once I got plates.

e- though the vintage guys are exponentially cheaper than regular racing. 70% of those guys just stroke and probably only eat a few sets of tires a year

There is a vintage mod series that runs around New England (pavement mods) and they run scripted races. They do a draw at the beginning of the day to determine the winners of heats and the feature. Then they run around at like 3/4 throttle until the guy who is supposed to win works his way up to the lead and then "race" the rest of the time, so long as nobody passes the leader. Basically they are show cars that nobody wants to take a chance of crashing so they take the element of pushing it for the win out of it. Its cool to see them on track until you realize they are running 25 parade laps. There is another vintage series that actually races though which is pretty cool. They all race pretty clean and nobody breaks their stuff so it can be done competitively without wrecking every week so I don't get the fake races but to each their own.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Sounds fun I've seen Sprint cup races before

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/14891983/dover-financial-filing-sheds-light-nascar-concerns

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Seems like that just restricts an Indycar like split and making sure they don't get any big tracks to run at. Makes me think of that loving SMI funded series that was DOA.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bigbillystyle posted:

There is a vintage mod series that runs around New England (pavement mods) and they run scripted races. They do a draw at the beginning of the day to determine the winners of heats and the feature. Then they run around at like 3/4 throttle until the guy who is supposed to win works his way up to the lead and then "race" the rest of the time, so long as nobody passes the leader. Basically they are show cars that nobody wants to take a chance of crashing so they take the element of pushing it for the win out of it. Its cool to see them on track until you realize they are running 25 parade laps. There is another vintage series that actually races though which is pretty cool. They all race pretty clean and nobody breaks their stuff so it can be done competitively without wrecking every week so I don't get the fake races but to each their own.

OCFS gets the Atlantic Coast Old Timers and the Northeastern Vintage Dirt Modified Racing Club.

ACOT I think runs scripted races but the NVDMRC runs like raped apes. Here's the NVDMRC running laps at OCFS

The NVDMRC guys have zero issues totaling their cars out

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 4, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BMB5150 posted:

Seems like that just restricts an Indycar like split and making sure they don't get any big tracks to run at. Makes me think of that loving SMI funded series that was DOA.

Ah yes, TRAC.

I think you're right about preventing a split. What other stock car series are even out there which would be comparable aside from ARCA or whatever ASA's top class is now?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ah yes, TRAC.

I think you're right about preventing a split. What other stock car series are even out there which would be comparable aside from ARCA or whatever ASA's top class is now?

It was entertained briefly (Very...briefly.) pre-IndyCar split.

quote:

Standing under umbrellas in the rain at Talladega one weekend, in an otherwise deserted garage area, one powerful team owner had posed an intriguing question to me privately.

"How much would you pay for NASCAR right now?" he asked, amid rumors that giant corporations such as Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp, or even Disney, might be interested in buying.

"You mean if I were Murdoch? Oh, $2 billion, $3 billion, I don't know," I said.

"Now then," and here the owner pointed to the haulers of NASCAR's top six or seven teams, "if those rigs were suddenly gone, those teams were out, how much would you pay for NASCAR?"

"Oh," I mused, "about $1.99."

"Exactly," he said, and walked away in the rain.

The point was, without its major teams and stars, NASCAR would be worthless. This came precariously close to the thinking that had started CART.

What had started the NASCAR rumblings, in parallel to the Indy car conflict, were the activities of O. Bruton Smith. A longtime France family rival, Smith was chairman of Speedway Motorsports Inc., a track conglomerate he'd taken to Wall Street as a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange.

The France family, which owned NASCAR outright and controlled International Speedway Corp., another track conglomerate, was watching Smith closely as he gobbled up tracks with built-in NASCAR race dates. He already owned the tracks at Charlotte and Atlanta, bought existing tracks such as Las Vegas and Bristol, and planned to build new ones, his crown jewel-in-progress being Texas Motor Speedway.

Smith was acquiring tracks so fast, and had disagreed with the Frances so much for so long over how NASCAR should be run, that there was much conjecture that he might start a rival stock-car series.

Then Smith, not yet able to get a Cup race scheduled for his yet-to-open Texas track, hinted that he might just run a non-sanctioned or "outlaw" race, after the NASCAR season was over, with an enormous purse.

That got the attention of the NASCAR owners, and that in turn fueled rumblings of a CART-type council of team owners to sell their services to the highest-bidding series.

Amidst all this, Bill France Jr., second czar in the NASCAR dynasty, publicly postured himself as neutral in the Indy car conflict.

http://espn.go.com/racing/columns/story?id=5195237&columnist=hinton_ed&seriesId=1

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

Dear NASCAR Employees,

I was not able to attend the Town Hall meeting yesterday, so I wanted to send a note to the NASCAR team.

As many of you know, I often have been involved in supporting political candidates running for public office. Elections are an important part of our country's democratic system, and I truly believe that being involved is an important role for every citizen.

Looking ahead at the presidential election in November, I made the personal decision on Monday to announce my support of Donald Trump. I have known Donald and his family for many years, and it is through this connection that I offered my support. Needless to say, with any candidate that one may endorse, there are many positions or policies that run counter to your beliefs, as is the case here with me. This is my personal and not a corporate position. However, I still encourage each of you to make your own personal evaluations as our country moves forward in the electoral process.

That said, let me make something perfectly clear: NASCAR will continue to operate our business unchanged. This includes our deep, long-standing commitment to diversity and inclusion. It’s a commitment that I made to this organization more than a decade ago. We will not waiver from our goal to make our sport more open and friendly to everyone, and we will remain steadfast in our support of key initiatives to grow our fan base and remain a model of a progressive organization.

If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to raise them directly with your supervisor, Officers in our company, or to me directly.

Best regards,
Brian

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-chief-brian-france-defends-trump-endorsement-to-employees-677132/

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Just about as dumb and awful as ***Allegiant Air*** becoming the official airline of NASCAR.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"i personally don't support diversity and inclusion, but NASCAR will, even though my family has run NASCAR with an iron fist for the entirety of its existence"

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
"This is my personal and not a corporate position. However, I still encourage each of you to make your own personal evaluations as our country moves forward in the electoral process."

"This is not a corporate position", followed by "However". At least try to be subtle about telling people who they should vote for lest they be fired?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ah yes, TRAC.

None right now. It seems preemptive to me. NASCAR's not going away anytime soon, but the ratings and attendence have been declining long enough that maybe they're worried that eventually someday someone else competing with them won't be impossible like it is now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ah yes, TRAC.

ASA is dead.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Goddamnit I thought Phoenix was this weekend not Vegas.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I can't think of a better way to attract a new title sponsor than to have the head of NASCAR endorse a bigot for president.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

daslog posted:

I can't think of a better way to attract a new title sponsor than to have the head of NASCAR endorse a bigot for president.

Nascar didn't Brian France did duh didn't you read the letter?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol if you think corporations aren't salivating over a Trump presidency

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Probably not the ones he's threatening to impose tariff on for manufacturing outside of the US, or really any companies given he's threatened to start trade wars with Mexico and China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Trump is reverse Obama and it's great

• Locked thread