Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Is the wifi on the pi3 a bit buggy ? I've been seeing some odd behaviour with very inconsistently being able to ping the pi3 even with full signal strength.

I've tried a wifi usb adapter and all the problems went away. Same router, TCP settings etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
how'd you end up with one so fast?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
They were for sale on Amazon here in the UK yesterday. Ordered it and it arrived today.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

If I wanted to control a blind with a raspberry pi and a remote, how would I do that?

What I have in mind is this, demo at 3:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGU1J3c1Pw

Ideally i'd love to have an interface where I can hit a screen proportion, and BAM it does it! Realistically I will probably have a wired connection like his. But I dare to dream!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would be trivial with an arduino.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I would be trivial with an arduino.

The "can" isn't the problem, it's the "how" that I'm curious about...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How do you imagine your remote looking like? If you want something custom it'll be more work. With a (TV-style) prebuilt remote and a motor driver it'd be pretty simple, just not as sleek.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

How do you imagine your remote looking like? If you want something custom it'll be more work. With a (TV-style) prebuilt remote and a motor driver it'd be pretty simple, just not as sleek.

smartphone/tablet interface is fine and would be good for selecting different aspect ratios, otherwise I haven't really thought about it... something prebuilt would probably be fine too, just a simple up/down (or bonus marks if I can just program it into my harmony 700!)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you have a harmony already I'd just use that and a cheap IR receiver. Then get one of the million linear actuators on eBay (with limit switches) and a driver to make it move.

There's tutorials online for all of this. Motor drivers are stupid cheap on eBay too.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Are there any decently priced NAS boxes with BusyBox or Linux support to scratch the cheap server itch? These smartphone chipsets on a board always have more GPU and less hard drive and networking support than you'd want for that. Ideally, rather than being a prebuilt system with manufacturer sanctioned apps (like the Western Digital Personal Cloud stuff), it'd just give you an SSH shell to configure as you'd like.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's your price point, feature set, etc?

You could go anywhere from a simple fully integrated fanless x86 motherboard with last year's tech for $80, all the way down to a TP-Link TL-WR703N running openwrt for $25 shipped.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It looks like a bunch of the things in the Wikipedia list of single-board computers[1] have SATA. If any of those have more than one port (or proper support for SATA port switching) and Gbit networking , you could probably build something?

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers

Practically speaking, a mini-itx PC would be faster, easier, and can be had with way more SATA connectors ... but they are also larger, more expensive, and use more power. Besides, where's the challenge in that. :)

Comedy option: buy an old large thinkpad with a dead screen. Stuff two large 2.5" drives in it and you have a decent quiet NAS with built-in UPS.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Comedy option: buy an old large thinkpad with a dead screen. Stuff two large 2.5" drives in it and you have a decent quiet NAS with built-in UPS.

This was my first dedicated file server, except I had two bus powered external USB hard drives attached.

Then I realized that's a terrible idea and bought a $100, 15 drive (capacity) case with an Intel motherboard, so I only have to solve this problem once, and simply add/swap drives as needed.

As a hobbyist experiment, the Pi is great for doing NAS. Trying to do actual long term home file storage, $100 worth of last year's low end hardware is the right way to do home NAS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah any old board by now will take an ultra cheap 8 port Intel sata adapter, and off you go.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Amberskin posted:

According to the Raspberry Foundation announcement, the OS is still 32 bit (actually, the same being used for the Rpi2) and they are checking if moving to 64 bit boosts the performance enought to be worth the effort.

If Linux had a sane multi-architecture binary system like NeXT and Apple have used since the 1990s, this wouldn't be a big deal.

In fact, if they had proper multi-arch binaries, they could build Raspbian for armv6 and armv7 for the RPi2, and still allow armv6 binaries to run on the RPi2 as well. Just like iOS has since before the original RPi shipped.

And they could support armv6, armv7, and arm64 binaries on the RPi3, again like iOS has since the iPhone 5s shipped over two years ago. And that wouldn't even require a 64-bit kernel, because with a proper OS whether you use a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel is independent of whether user processes can be 32-bit or 64-bit.

Then again, I'm also the person who thinks a single distro image should be able to boot on any number of SBCs, just by adding device drivers and standardizing the booter/kernel handoff.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

TVarmy posted:

Are there any decently priced NAS boxes with BusyBox or Linux support to scratch the cheap server itch? These smartphone chipsets on a board always have more GPU and less hard drive and networking support than you'd want for that. Ideally, rather than being a prebuilt system with manufacturer sanctioned apps (like the Western Digital Personal Cloud stuff), it'd just give you an SSH shell to configure as you'd like.

You could get a used Sun T5240 with tens (or more!) GB of RAM for about US$400 and slap a couple of 2.5in SAS drives in it. It'll run the latest Solaris, which you can get free from Oracle, which can either be a hardcore file server or managed iSCSI target.

You'll need a rack and to not mind the noise & heat. Oh, and 200V power if you get anything larger than the 8-bay model. But you could conceivably get close to wire speed when streaming lots of data on gigabit Ethernet, for a few hundred bucks plus the cost of however many drives you want to put in it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

eschaton posted:

If Linux had a sane multi-architecture binary system like NeXT and Apple have used since the 1990s, this wouldn't be a big deal.

In fact, if they had proper multi-arch binaries, they could build Raspbian for armv6 and armv7 for the RPi2, and still allow armv6 binaries to run on the RPi2 as well. Just like iOS has since before the original RPi shipped.

And they could support armv6, armv7, and arm64 binaries on the RPi3, again like iOS has since the iPhone 5s shipped over two years ago. And that wouldn't even require a 64-bit kernel, because with a proper OS whether you use a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel is independent of whether user processes can be 32-bit or 64-bit.

Then again, I'm also the person who thinks a single distro image should be able to boot on any number of SBCs, just by adding device drivers and standardizing the booter/kernel handoff.

Even if something like FatELF were to become standard I doubt arm architectures would be a common target with most binaries. Even with OSX, multi-arch binaries don't have to be compile for all architectures if you don't want to.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Our department file server is a 7 year old dell workstation with 4 drives on the internal controller and two external 4-drive boxes hanging off a cheap Marvell eSATA card. 16 GB RAM, WD red drives, ZFS, FreeBSD. More than enough for wire speed reads, and it was enough for writes as well until it filled to 95%.

(I'm finally prepping a new proper replacement for it, yes. Something about 25TB of research data on hardware that was a bit iffy several years ago mildly worries me.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 2, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
How do the small 8-core atom boards stack up against older/similarly priced server hardware? The 2758 and 2750 are two models IIRC. I would imagine that they fall short in terms of total CPU power.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eschaton posted:

We don't take kindly to this kind of talk round these parts!

ItBurns posted:

How do the small 8-core atom boards stack up against older/similarly priced server hardware? The 2758 and 2750 are two models IIRC. I would imagine that they fall short in terms of total CPU power.
Depends on the use case, m'lady

Computer viking posted:

and it was enough for writes as well until it filled to 95%.
Just. Don't.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 2, 2016

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
HP MicroServer + xpenology.

I get a kick out of using low powered gear to achieve things, but I don't know if I'd do that for NAS.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
A J1800 Baytrail mobo inside an ancient tower case has served me well as a home server the last 2 years+.

Pros: fanless, very low power, can deliver 1080 video using Plex at about 80% CPU load in Linux.

Cons: only 2 SATA ports.

I'd imagine the newer Braswell ones have a bit more oomph in the CPU department.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I wonder if i can get some help from the rest of you,

I am into IT, have been a developer for way too many years than i care to mention (I started with zx81)

I just see a Pi as a PC running linux.

I have a PiFace and 2 Pi-B and one Pi2

I also have a breadboard kit with the header cable for the Pi as well.

I have yet to find any helpful information on how to enable piface or do anything interesting except a "weather station".

I live in the UK so the weather is NOT at the top of my targets of projects.
Maybe there is some good links that can help computer based people like me get into the "engineering" side rather than the Engineers getting into programming....

links if possible please.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

evil_bunnY posted:

Just. Don't.

Oh trust me, I know. :eng99:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

TVarmy posted:

Are there any decently priced NAS boxes with BusyBox or Linux support to scratch the cheap server itch?
Do you have old hardware lying around? Xpenology is a great solution and runs BusyBox. I still have one running and takes anything I can throw at it, while even using a 4,000,000 year old AMD Athlon X2 240. You'd probably get better results from this in the NAS thread though :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

TheresaJayne posted:

I wonder if i can get some help from the rest of you,

I am into IT, have been a developer for way too many years than i care to mention (I started with zx81)

I just see a Pi as a PC running linux.

I have a PiFace and 2 Pi-B and one Pi2

I also have a breadboard kit with the header cable for the Pi as well.

I have yet to find any helpful information on how to enable piface or do anything interesting except a "weather station".

I live in the UK so the weather is NOT at the top of my targets of projects.
Maybe there is some good links that can help computer based people like me get into the "engineering" side rather than the Engineers getting into programming....

links if possible please.

I am also old (started out on rubber key 48k) and I use my collection of Pi's for short term fun projects.
I have the obligatory webcam, I also have the 'night vision' cam which is on my list to do something with, got a few small OLED displays, which are interesting to get installed and working, then quite fun to script, I've learnt quite a bit of Python doing stuff like this.

Theres also the 'solder kit' stuff - the power switch, breakout board and so on - keeps me entertained in my spare time.

Basically, I am a sucker for the adafruit style projects - tiny touch screens, breakout boards etc - https://www.pi-supply.com is a good place to browse.

got my Pi3 yesterday, haven't had chance to try it yet though.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
How well does the ras 3 work as replacement desktop for web browsing, word processing, light image/video editing, online streaming media (youtube, spotify, netflix)? I'm okay with debian and looking to get one and set it up for my father to use as a PC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oaok posted:

How well does the ras 3 work as replacement desktop for web browsing, word processing, light image/video editing, online streaming media (youtube, spotify, netflix)? I'm okay with debian and looking to get one and set it up for my father to use as a PC.

It's going to be awful for video editing because of the limited data bandwidth and slow poo poo GPU. That stuff will also be bad for image editing if we're talking 10 megapixel plus photos. You should probably pick him up a couple years old laptop and stick it on a cooling pad, with a monitor and keyboard/mouse running to it - they'll be around $150-$200 for a nice Sandy Bridge system from 2011 which handle all of that flawlessly.

Here's a good example, the case is beat up but who cares? It's not going to be moving: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...tEAAOSwYlJW2HmX

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Even for web browsing it will be slow as gently caress because 1GB RAM is not enough RAM for today's memory hungry desktop applications.

I tried the new Chromium OS port, and it is still crazy slow. The entire OS is stripped of everything not needed for running a browser, and it is still uselessly slow.

And Netflix and other paid streaming services are going to be somewhere between a headache and completely unavailable.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah my rule of thumb is never recommend non-brandname stuff to family members unless they're tech savvy. I tell my brother to build his own stuff and give him parts recommendations, I tell my parents & grandparents & not-nerdo friends what brands to look at. The Pi really, really isn't meant to be a desktop replacement, it's a learning tool and hobbyist item and even with the processor upgrade I can't see it being a passable solution for anyone expecting a computer to 'just work'.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The only way to use the Pi 2 as a Desktop computer is with very lightweight apps. If you don't even start up X and just do stuff with console-based applications like emacs etc.. it's quite usable as a typewriter but I don't think that's for Dads. As fishmech posted, your father will be served much better with an cheap x86 based product. These tiny ARM SBCs simply aren't there yet.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I tell my brother to build his own stuff and give him parts recommendations, I tell my parents & grandparents & not-nerdo friends what brands to look at.

As if there's more than on brand you need to look at for mainstream use.

(Hint: It's Apple.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

That's stupid, most people by far are on Windows machines, and running Windows on a Mac is a recipe for paying more and getting worse performance (because of Apple drivers) for the same level of hardware.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I got an rpi0 this morning from Adafruit after getting a notification that they were back in stock, if anyone was waiting.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'd go so far to say that anything less than 4gb ram is entirely unacceptable for browsing the internet and light desktop work. Even with a lightweight desktop environment.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Anyone managed to pick up a Pi 3 in the U.S. yet?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

Not for people who don't want to pay more than a couple-hundred dollars and have been using Windows for their entire lives.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Anyone managed to pick up a Pi 3 in the U.S. yet?

I ordered one but it's still in processing, whatever that means.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I just received the official touchscreen display, and I'm trying to understand it's interface. I realized today that even though the touchscreen works, I never enabled i2c in my boot config. Some sparse info points out that the GPU is in charge of that particular i2c interface (on the display and camera connectors), so I actually have no idea how Linux is utilizing this touchscreen. Anyone know where I might start looking?

Aside from this---the display seems to be pretty decent, even if they made the goddamn rookie mistake of making the display orientation upside-dow. The viewing angle isnt symmetric, so it has a preferred orientation and unless you have it mounted on something in a pretty ugly way (since it is only really equipped to be mounted on the back, and not flush mounted into an enclosure) the USB power cable would need to come in from the bottom in order to use the correct orientation. While this isn't an uncommon mistake (my team at work ran into that same issue last year, but corrected it in the 2nd revision prototype), it's kinda weird that they didn't catch it before their design went through EMC testing. I guess it's not high enough volume to merit them fixing it with a display interface board revision since that would require another round of EMC testing, which isn't cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Slanderer posted:

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I just received the official touchscreen display, and I'm trying to understand it's interface. I realized today that even though the touchscreen works, I never enabled i2c in my boot config. Some sparse info points out that the GPU is in charge of that particular i2c interface (on the display and camera connectors), so I actually have no idea how Linux is utilizing this touchscreen. Anyone know where I might start looking?

Aside from this---the display seems to be pretty decent, even if they made the goddamn rookie mistake of making the display orientation upside-dow. The viewing angle isnt symmetric, so it has a preferred orientation and unless you have it mounted on something in a pretty ugly way (since it is only really equipped to be mounted on the back, and not flush mounted into an enclosure) the USB power cable would need to come in from the bottom in order to use the correct orientation. While this isn't an uncommon mistake (my team at work ran into that same issue last year, but corrected it in the 2nd revision prototype), it's kinda weird that they didn't catch it before their design went through EMC testing. I guess it's not high enough volume to merit them fixing it with a display interface board revision since that would require another round of EMC testing, which isn't cheap

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/tree/master/hardware/display
https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/blob/master/hardware/display/troubleshooting.md

Probably find the source for those dependencies that are called out. It's a starting point, anyway.