Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

brylcreem posted:

I bought a (supposed) Windows 10 Pro License key on the equivalent of ebay here in Denmark.

He just sent me a picture of a sticker, that says "Window 10 Pro for OEM Software" and then the key.

(the key has been removed, of course)

If I change product key via settings, it takes it, and then wants me to activate, but then gives me an error:

0xC004F014

There a lot of solutions for that online, but before I try any of them, I just want to know if I need to track the guy down and break his kneecaps, or if the key looks legit?

I did the same thing, bought $5 eBay OEM key, gave me that error, so I tried the activation hotline and that didn't work either. Then I called the Microsoft Answer Desk, dude from India remoted into my PC and said "key is legit but isn't working for some reason", generated me an entirely new key, made sure it activated, then emailed me the key in a ticket in case I ever needed a proof of purchase. Pretty cool and I did it two more times since then with that method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

I did the same thing, bought $5 eBay OEM key, gave me that error, so I tried the activation hotline and that didn't work either. Then I called the Microsoft Answer Desk, dude from India remoted into my PC and said "key is legit but isn't working for some reason", generated me an entirely new key, made sure it activated, then emailed me the key in a ticket in case I ever needed a proof of purchase. Pretty cool and I did it two more times since then with that method.

That gives me hope, thanks a lot!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am now running an activated Windows 10 Pro.

First, I called Microsoft and was totally straight with the support guy about buying the license online.

He got it, and put me on hold for a loooonng time, after asking me "Eh, what kind of version is it!?". I am absolutely certain he did it to freak me out, but after I had talked to you guys and a friend working in IT, I knew they don't care at all about where people get keys.

So he came back with the news that the key was legit, and after some minor troubleshooting (Start-Run-winver) he declared I needed to install Windows 10 Pro from scratch.

"gently caress that", I thought, said a polite goodbye, and followed the instructions in point 3 here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles/

In case it ever goes offline: Here's the default Windows 10 Pro key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

After two restarts I was running un-activated Windows 10 Pro. After inputting the key I bought, it activated with no trouble.

Thanks, guy from the internet! Sorry I wanted to bust your kneecaps.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Constellation I posted:

My expectation is actually for this to work perfectly in TYOL 2016.

Yep, basically. And it would be different if it never, ever worked. But it works SOMETIMES. This morning I go to log in for the can't get any screens to come up. Unplug the dock, get the SP4s screen to come on. Plug the dock back in, other monitors don't come up, but I can log in. Try to extend to both monitors which were set to disconnected, but nope, I get the SETTINGS COULD NOT BE SAVED garbage. A reboot sorts it.
It's not hardware outside of the Surface, it's either the Surface of Win 10. I do think switching from mdp->dvi to hdmi instead somehow helped some.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have nothing but trouble with mdp; waking my desktop from sleep usually necessitates re-detecting my displays to un-gently caress them, as the dvi monitor displays fine but the mdp monitor changes to 600x800 or something similar.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just in case anyone else is affected, one of the latest updates broke VirtualBox and all VMs fail when you try to start them.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
How's optimus on windows 10 these days?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Iron Rose posted:

The display driver? I've had literally zero problems with it on my ThinkPad T540p from the start. I've heard complaints coming from other users here, though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Just in case anyone else is affected, one of the latest updates broke VirtualBox and all VMs fail when you try to start them.

VirtualBox pointedly doesn't care about WebGL in Linux guest environments (or their emulation of 3D acceleration is irreparably broken but they aren't able/willing to commit to making it work so they bluster about how '3D acceleration' 'works'), so it's hard for me to care that their dumb software is broken.

Or they think it's fine because WebGL works in Windows (I don't know if WebGL works in Windows guest environments in VirtualBox), which would probably make me less sympathetic than I currently am.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Iron Rose posted:

No problems since release with my third-gen i7 + 650M Asus. When the public preview first went live the Intel drivers were a bit crashy, but I haven't seen any issues since RTM.

edit: Also....

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Unless they've already pulled an update or something, I think your issue is something else. I've had Virtualbox randomly break many times even back on Win7, usually refusing to acknowledge that the system did in fact have VT enabled or failing to access it's kernel driver for whatever reason. A reinstall over top of the existing install usually fixes it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 2, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I for one am shocked that a piece of Oracle software is broken.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So here's a fun thing.

Windows 10's disk cleanup is stupid and doesn't work for poo poo.

I kept getting low disk space alerts for my SSD (which is 256GB; not huge, but not tiny), calling out many many gigglebites of "Temporary Files" with no other description. Clicking the handy Clean Up Files button did gently caress-all, and using the Windows disk cleanup utility was similarly useful (read: not at all).

Saw a MS forum post about using CCleaner (which I hadn't installed in quite some time on this system), and that worked a treat. Dumped 185GB of poo poo, and now I'm where I want to be.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'm going to install Windows 10 on an M2 AHCI SM951 SSD later today. Is there anything I need to know going into this? I've read about people having issues with it, but mainly for the NVM versions of the SSD.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

AlexDeGruven posted:

So here's a fun thing.

I kept getting low disk space alerts for my SSD (which is 256GB; not huge, but not tiny), calling out many many gigglebites of "Temporary Files" with no other description. Clicking the handy Clean Up Files button did gently caress-all, and using the Windows disk cleanup utility was similarly useful (read: not at all).

Saw a MS forum post about using CCleaner (which I hadn't installed in quite some time on this system), and that worked a treat. Dumped 185GB of poo poo, and now I'm where I want to be.
Depends on what the files were. Clean up won't do poo poo to system files without being run as admin, and that can be a huge amount/size of files (hibernation file, previous Windows version rollback files...)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AlexDeGruven posted:

So here's a fun thing.

Did you notice what the files were or what put them there?

Does CCleaner even tell you what the files were?

If this happens again, figure out exactly what is spewing dozens of gigabytes of files onto your drive, because that isn't normal behavior for anything Microsoft and odds are good some third party thing is ruining things.

Or your computer has Three Stooges syndrome and Event Viewer can't keep up or something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If I remember right, the Windows disk cleanup utility will give you the list of things you can clean up but not all of it is checked off/selected by default. Maybe you hit 'clean' without actually selecting those temp files for deletion?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Did you notice what the files were or what put them there?

Does CCleaner even tell you what the files were?

If this happens again, figure out exactly what is spewing dozens of gigabytes of files onto your drive, because that isn't normal behavior for anything Microsoft and odds are good some third party thing is ruining things.

Or your computer has Three Stooges syndrome and Event Viewer can't keep up or something.

This is what I was thinking. How the hell did they end up with over 180GB of temp files :psyduck:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

This is what I was thinking. How the hell did they end up with over 180GB of temp files :psyduck:

180's pretty high, but I once saw razer's lovely software generate and not clean up ~10gb of temp files before so I'm willing to believe there are even worse devs out there.

My first guess would be a windows.old folder though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

astral posted:

I once saw razer's lovely software generate and not clean up ~10gb of temp files before

They tried to DRM a mouse. I wouldn't trust Razer with a decorative pipe cleaner.

On the other hand, the attitude of people that would rather find a 'make it go away' button than learn how to operate and care for their things, especially things as powerful and as familiar with them as a general-purpose personal computer, frustrates the ever-loving Hell out of me.

I only don't believe in requiring accreditation to operate a general-purpose computer in this world because in this world it'd be corrupted and compromised in every way possible and locked up so it couldn't be used to punch upward anymore, and without a sea change in human nature that situation isn't likely to improve.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

They tried to DRM a mouse. I wouldn't trust Razer with a decorative pipe cleaner.

On the other hand, the attitude of people that would rather find a 'make it go away' button than learn how to operate and care for their things, especially things as powerful and as familiar with them as a general-purpose personal computer, frustrates the ever-loving Hell out of me.

I only don't believe in requiring accreditation to operate a general-purpose computer in this world because in this world it'd be corrupted and compromised in every way possible and locked up so it couldn't be used to punch upward anymore, and without a sea change in human nature that situation isn't likely to improve.

No problem with a 'make it go away' button that you need to press every six months. You'll never understand everything on a modern computer, and it's not worth investigating every quirk unless it's either wasting a meaningful amount of time or particularly annoys you.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So what's the current cheapest way to get Windows10 on a clean ssd, buy Windows 7 and upgrade?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

EDIT: Moved to tech support sub-forum.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So what's the current cheapest way to get Windows10 on a clean ssd, buy Windows 7 and upgrade?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the media creation thing, create media, boot from media, plug in Windows 7 key when it asks for a key.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thebigcow posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the media creation thing, create media, boot from media, plug in Windows 7 key when it asks for a key.

Media means an 8gb USB drive, in this instance, and you'll need a seperate working PC to download the media builder software and set it up.

You can buy Windows 7 COA stickers on eBay for around $5-$10 and they will activate, sometimes you might have to reboot or call the Windows 10 Answer Desk to get the key to take, but that's some nice savings.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AlexDeGruven posted:

So here's a fun thing.

After you ran Disk Cleanup, did you click the Clean Up System Files button? Then it will remove old updates, old system install files, etc. It actually works great so it's you.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Nominating this to be an official unit of storage

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Hi, would someone mind helping me out?
I currently have Win7 installed on my computer and am planning to buy a new MOBO and CPU before upgrading to Win10. My current install is an upgrade from Vista. Would it be possible to do a clean install of Win10 from a bootable USB and the above link using my Vista->Win7 upgrade key as the product key? Or should connect my Win7 installed SSD to the new MOBO and do an in-place clean install?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

GreenNight posted:

After you ran Disk Cleanup, did you click the Clean Up System Files button? Then it will remove old updates, old system install files, etc. It actually works great so it's you.

Did it multiple times, it found gently caress-all. Also found several forum posts on MS's sites that call out the same issue and resolution, so whatever makes you feel better about yourself, I guess.

And to answer above, it was Windows update/upgrade cache files according to CCleaner (different than windows.old, which I cleaned out previously after the November upgrade).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MediumWellDone posted:

Hi, would someone mind helping me out?
I currently have Win7 installed on my computer and am planning to buy a new MOBO and CPU before upgrading to Win10. My current install is an upgrade from Vista. Would it be possible to do a clean install of Win10 from a bootable USB and the above link using my Vista->Win7 upgrade key as the product key? Or should connect my Win7 installed SSD to the new MOBO and do an in-place clean install?

Try using the key installing into a VM that's not connected to the internet. If you get past it, just ditch out then do a clean install. That's the quickest/safest way I can think to test it. I can't think why it wouldn't work, but MS licensing is a hot mess so who knows.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Well that's interesting. In less than 24 hours, my system has generated a 14GB log file in C:\Windows\Temp.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well that's interesting. In less than 24 hours, my system has generated a 14GB log file in C:\Windows\Temp.

:stare: Can you tell us more about the log file? What's the name and extension of it? Is it in C:\Windows\Temp or deeper in a subdirectory? Look through Task Scheduler.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

:stare: Can you tell us more about the log file? What's the name and extension of it? Is it in C:\Windows\Temp or deeper in a subdirectory? Look through Task Scheduler.

Actually, now that I've dug in, it looks like it was a holdover from something and CCleaner didn't catch it. Just systemname-log was all there was to it. I whacked it, so lets see if it starts growing again.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I like the lockscreen improvements in the latest fast preview. It tells you when num lock is off now, which is nice, since Hyper-V automatically turns off num lock for some reason.

Too bad the crossfade stuff only works when you're actually logged out, rather than just locked. I hope/assume that'll also be improved in future builds.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Windows 10 seems to be loving up my PC's sleep function - when I hit sleep it goes through the motions, the screen goes black, the fans turn off, the lights go out, everything seems fine, then literally a second later it turns back on. This happens literally every time, both on my old and new computers, of which the only common hardware component is an ATi 290x. Any ideas how I go about fixing this?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
For me this wound up being caused by the USB wireless mouse. Ticking the box shown below fixed it for me..

You can also run powercfg -lastwake and see what woke the computer last. Not sure how well that works in 10 though now that power management is significantly changed. You can run powercfg -devicequery wake_armed and see which devices are able to wake the computer and then work backwards (disconnect them) to figure out which it is. You can also see if there's anything stupid in powercfg -waketimers, which should normally be empty aside from the Windows update task.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 5, 2016

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Yep, it was my mouse. Took me unchecking that setting twice for it to 'take' though, threw me off a bit.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I still have not got the November 1511 update pushed to me through windows update. Does anyone else find that completely bizarre? I got windows 10 the day it came out so I shouldn't be under that 30 day rule.

Guess I'll just use the tool, finally...

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I still have not got the November 1511 update pushed to me through windows update. Does anyone else find that completely bizarre? I got windows 10 the day it came out so I shouldn't be under that 30 day rule.

Guess I'll just use the tool, finally...
Something in my system was causing problems with the install process, so 1511 would try, fail, revert, and wait until later. I didn't notice until a few weeks later when I used the tool and it kept crashing during the first step after reboot. Wound up having to yank out all the peripherals and extra drives until after it completed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Something in my system was causing problems with the install process, so 1511 would try, fail, revert, and wait until later. I didn't notice until a few weeks later when I used the tool and it kept crashing during the first step after reboot. Wound up having to yank out all the peripherals and extra drives until after it completed.

At least you've had it pushed to you. I'll finally fire up the tool next weekend I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Your recovery partition is too small, that's why it's failing and reverting. You have to use something like Easeus to bring it up above 500 gb.