Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nasgate posted:

TransBot is still ahead of its time.

TransBot followed by The Dragon's Trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Michaellaneous posted:

But this owns? :confused:

I guess because it reminds me a lot of One Punch Man.

It's not so much that the original cover is bad (it's serviceable) but that the localized western cover was better and this is rare.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The perfect Godhand cover would be a hologram of Gene pummeling some guy.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Why is that almost naked one-eyed unicorn lady with an AELLE flag hanging off the horn and the tits that will probably poke someones eye out electrocuting that native american's shoulder?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

For some reason I always associate these next two games together, despite being developed independently by two separate companies. But still, one's a 1991 NES side-scrolling action-platformer where you punch everything to awesome music, and the other's a 1991 NES side-scrolling action-platformer where you kick everything to awesome music. You can see why I might conflate the two, surely.

Also, neither has particularly bad box art, but they are pretty dorky.

Shatterhand:

Kickmaster:

The facial expressions make it, really.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I saw this in a market (read: place where they sell lovely knock-off goods at exorbitant prices to dumb foreigners) in China.

I have no idea who Frigo is and why he is returning.

Also this. Gotta love the Engrish in the corner.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Seriously though, stop hotlinking.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Shatterhand is another game where they completely replaced the assets from a licensed game, here's the original

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Seriously though, stop hotlinking.

It's not illegal anymore because traffic from this website is so low that it doesn't matter.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

"yes, we need an anthropomorphic carrot, but more importantly: we need an anthropomorphic carrot that looks fuckable"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LuiCypher posted:

What's even Engrishy about it? Looks perfectly legible.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

kirbysuperstar posted:

What's even Engrishy about it? Looks perfectly legible.

It is legible and intelligible, true. That does make it decidedly Un-Engrish. I guess I just call it Engrishy because it's one of those 'inspirational' uses of English that the Japanese seem to really like.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Listen guys, this cover looks like poo poo and didn't help our sales but we're getting a 2nd chance with a 3DS port so can we do a little better this time?

:psyduck:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Game's legit very fun, at least.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

It took 9 months of me owning that game before I realized the title is a play on the word "Crushed". Don't know how it didn't click sooner.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

LuiCypher posted:

Sonic 2 player gets trolled.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sonic 2 box is legit awesome, sorry.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

I re-uploaded this to imgur 'cause the Japanese on the side is just too weird, even for Japanese:

quote:

What Sonic taught me was vigor.
What Sonic showed me was courage.

His heart is the sky. His smile is the sun.
His two tails are vigor and courage.

Even the official box art text sounds like something you'd find on a DeviantArt "OC DO NOT STEAL" pic.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

If you think that's bad you should listen to the lyrics from sonic soundtracks

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If playing sonic 2 didn't teach you that then I don't know what kind of childhood you had, villain

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
That's an all time great game box.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I definitely do remember finding Tails' two tails emotionally reassuring as a kid.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My all time favorite sega game had a pretty wild box

but this one looks ... off

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

steve irwin looks at that stingray. it's disguised as an octopus. doesn't even have eight tentacles.

steve irwin knows death is inevitable and death is near. he smiles. there is no honour dying like a coward.

he descends into the sea, and waits.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Original_Z posted:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/japanboxes/japanboxes.htm

This article is an interesting look at western game boxes in Japan, it really is like the reverse effect. Artwork becomes more anime-style, and female characters have more focus put on them.

This is a bit of an old post, but I love some of those
=>

=>

Boardroom Notes:
1) Anime-ize
2) Focus on tits/butts
3) Remove Blacks

Anyway

e: An actual reverse:
= >

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 2, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Let us dispose of this iconic party game character in favor of a grim dark monstrosity that has nothing to do with the series! Again though to be fair, it would be kind of a neat cover if it wasn't a loving bomberman cover.

I miss those rad N64 games of bomberman. Especially the second one with the little kawaii thing that would follow you everywhere.

Good times.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did any Bomberman game ever beat the one on the Saturn? I haven't really paid attention since then.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did any Bomberman game ever beat the one on the Saturn? I haven't really paid attention since then.

The PC one that was made by Interplay had a bunch of R-rated character voice clips hidden on the disc, so it had that going for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0BlM70n4Yk

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bomberman Ultra is pretty drat good.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Rirse posted:

This is reminding me of the Gunstar Heroes boxart, amazing game, very ugly box art.

I think it's not so much an ugly cover in itself but an apt representation of the game's content. The game, as enjoyable and impressive as it is, is all over the place with its design and not very pretty.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I liked it when the cover was a healthy combo of borderline-infringement and a dick pun

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Postal Parcel posted:

This is a bit of an old post, but I love some of those
=>

Holy poo poo. Younger me would've totally watched the gently caress out of the Riot Act anime.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I love how you can tell that Crackdown/Riot Act art was done by Monkey Punch because he just drew a buff Lupin and Fujiko with dreads.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 2, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Opposing Farce posted:

I love how you can tell that Crackdown/Riot Act art was done by Monkey Punch because he just drew a buff Lupin and Fujiko with dreads.

I'd play that game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
"basketball"

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

nerdz posted:

"basketball"

Featuring hot action both on the court and off it, ya know what I'm saying? :wiggle:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Let's capstone this eastern/western thing with a reminder of the times when western devs were trying to look japanese instead of the other way around, which continues to this day.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Can we as a people forget that that art for Septerra Core exists and toss it into the uncanny abyss from which it came?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
good point on the US anime covers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, the Shogo box actually looks like something out of Patlabor.

• Locked thread