Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

DeathBySpoon posted:

For some of the less-often used options, you could always put a "..." button of some sort and have the other commands in a submenu.

Yeah, I'm kind of vacillating between a few things: something kind of flyout ... tray like that, some kind of "alt" button mode (for instance you'd hit the "alt" button to force attack with directions, or change fire to throw), a context sensitive button or set of buttons for the 9 local/adjacent cells, just directly clicking on stuff to bring up radials... Think I'm just going to have play around with stuff and see what sticks.

I want to try to get something that works without right-click context so that it'll port to touch directly, with right-click for nice to have, but not mandatory, stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What about press and hold? Hold a button and get a context menu?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Hold and slide, radial menu

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Put your left foot in.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Overwined posted:

Put your left foot in.

Caves of the Nequdancer

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Looks like the minimum viable flier has 2 wings and at least one flight jet or arc thruster. I strapped the wings off a Wasp on my Maanji just now and it can fly at over 200 speed.

:hellyeah:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Poison Mushroom posted:

What about press and hold? Hold a button and get a context menu?

I'm usually not in love with hold based UI except for totally tertiary stuff, just because it tends to be super undiscoverable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Unormal posted:

I'm usually not in love with hold based UI except for totally tertiary stuff, just because it tends to be super undiscoverable.
That is totally fair.

I'd say "tiny little arrow to indicate it opens a menu when you hold or slide" but I could easily see that mistaken for a directional thing?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unormal posted:

It's also a real pain if you have to do the thing multiple times in a row because it's so slow to input.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pladdicus posted:

Hold and slide, radial menu

I personally like this one.

I'd also like a medium sized button for switching between hotbars, so if I want to move I pull up the move hotbar / radial. Stuff like that.

I'd also like to test it on Android, but i can totally understand if we're not doing that. Emulators have those re-sizable / custom UI elements, so it might be good to have layouts you can switch between, and let the players set up the UI to what they like.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Press and hold is the best thing. Allows you to do context sensitive, prevents incorrect inputs, radial context menu, mmm. I'd love to see a roguelike with that designed.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im finially getting somewhere with gearhead. I did the animal arena till i could buy a 800k battleroid and got a lancemate. Steamrolling everythint. Still dont know how to do any of my quests.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there something that determines wether a mecha survives a crash? Do more crashes make it less likely?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

Is there something that determines wether a mecha survives a crash? Do more crashes make it less likely?

It's just damage. Skimming takes double, flying quintuple, and full speed takes 2/3 more than normal speed. That's at the same scale as the vehicle so a full size mech will take 5 times the damage as a scale 1 car, bike, Strongarm, etc.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

It's just damage. Skimming takes double, flying quintuple, and full speed takes 2/3 more than normal speed. That's at the same scale as the vehicle so a full size mech will take 5 times the damage as a scale 1 car, bike, Strongarm, etc.

Oh i had no idea about this. So faster means harder to hit but more damage if it does land?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

As far as I can tell from a quick glance at the code going normal speed does 3 hits, full speed does 5 and the damage per hit is 5 for flying, 2 for skimming and 1 for everything else. The rest is just the will of the rng.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My mecha atm has a fair bit of armor. I wonder if i should stick to running. I think once i put arc thrusters on there i was getting owned more (cause i was skimming)

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm toying with ideas for a magic system where all spells are cast by finding and combining runes.[...]Does that sound at all appealing?

A bit late to this, but if you're looking for inspiration, a game that was posted in this thread a year or two ago, flash roguelike Tower of the Archmage, does just that.

I don't remember too much, but I remember making an AOE Healing-Cloud-Strength spell by combining a cloud-effect rune with a heal-effect rune. The runes and the combos you could make got way overpowered as you advanced, but it was fun.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Unormal posted:

I've been working blind on the Unity version, because Unity's memory/performance forensics don't work on things created on your second thread.
I've never used Unity, but the best free Windows-based profiler out there is Very Sleepy, and it's reportedly compatible with Unity as well (and it should be able to read any given thread, I believe, unless Unity somehow encapsulates them?). Give it a try!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Over in the Steam thread, I just finished a review series of indie platformers for February. Turns out there were three roguelikes among them, so I thought I'd repost the reviews here in case anyone missed them.

Cargo Commander

Cargo Commander caught me totally off-guard. I was expecting something more traditional, with set levels and power-ups and some goofy story. What I got was a deceptively clever roguelike that started eating hours of my time, at least once I got over some rough patches.

You play an employee of Cargo Corp, sent off to the rear end-end of space in a boxy little junker of a ship to salvage equally junky boxes. Your ship is equipped with a magnet that, when activated, draws in a random assortment of giant space containers to smash into your ship and each other. Within these containers are the random bits of space junk Cargo Corp wants, along with enemies, hazards, and weapons to handle them. Connected containers usually have gaps to pass through where they collide, forming a rudimentary platforming level, but you can also drill through walls or spacewalk (as long as you can hold your breath) to get where you want to go.

Surviving enough waves of salvage gets you a container with a sector pass, which lets you travel to another area of space with different containers and salvage. Sectors are random based on their name, and the navigation system shows you popular systems, unpopular systems, systems your friends play, random systems, and even let you enter your own name to create a new one. It's a neat bit of continuity between players, further bolstered by the player corpses you can find and loot in heavily-trafficked sectors, and postcards from other players you can find randomly, or fill out and shoot into space if you find a blank one.

As far as gameplay goes, that's it. You call in waves of containers, loot them for cargo and resources to upgrade your dude (which reset for each sector), and get back to your ship before the "level" gets sucked back into space. There are basically two kinds of enemies in the game, melee monsters of varying size in the containers, and aggravating drill-squid things in space. You can find and upgrade a handful of weapons to deal with them, but combat is pretty thin and it's easy to get overwhelmed. The platforming isn't much better, with the random containers sometimes making regular exploring impossible and forcing you to drill out tons of walls or spacewalk around obnoxious areas.

With each sector essentially the same aside from items to find and container layouts, the game risks getting repetitive very quickly. I was about ready to punch out after 90 minutes or so... until I started paying attention to the story. Cargo Commander has a surprisingly dark, dystopian plot propping up the platforming, told through darkly funny emails from corporate and charming letters and packages from your family. As you tick off the the 88 different kinds of cargo to find, you rank up with the company, getting you new tools to speed up the process and maybe making progress towards getting home someday.

The whole package is far more compelling than I first thought, and I find myself returning to it whenever I have a free moment. The graphics are pretty basic indie 3D and the sound design works well enough, but it's the unique roguelike format married to an interesting world and story that keep it fresh. There are leaderboards for each sector and an endless mode to challenge if you need more variety, but even without those details Cargo Commander is worth digging into.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I wish gearhead had a garage mode where I could strip parts on and off a mech so I could see how they affect performance without risking the rng destroying something important

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Agean90 posted:

I wish gearhead had a garage mode where I could strip parts on and off a mech so I could see how they affect performance without risking the rng destroying something important

Turn on the savescumming option?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So Angband has an experimental branch that removes the old ID system and replaces it with "rune-based ID". You'll have to use-ID your dagger of troll slaying (by hitting a troll with it, probably), but once you do you'll recognize the "troll-slaying" rune on every other weapon you see.

Their thread on it is here, but go to the last page for the most-updated version. (edit: or just go to github and compile it yourself)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 2, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
GH talk. Is the golden chainsaw the best melee weapon?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

GH talk. Is the golden chainsaw the best melee weapon?

Is it better than the monomolecular whip?

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013

Unormal posted:

Little preview of some things to come from ye ol' tilepro Megane:

wow these look really really polished and nice :chanpop:

I love how the chest is the similar (or same?) as a CoQ tileset.

I've picked up Caves of Qud again after falling away from Stardew Valley (not because it's not a lovely game, it's just that I love tactical gameplay and Darkest Dungeon hit a wall where all my cool guys are level 4/5 and I don't have any openings in the roster left) and man Glotrot is a bitch. Amusingly, I found the book with the cure in Grit Gate but contracted it about 2 tiles outside of Joppa, unaware it incubates for a while like the common cold- absolutely evil. I even tried to drink honey but then I just vomited it up and the game told me it was putrid so I guess that's part of the whole "your tongue rots and falls out" thing.

Where am I going to even find a flaming mug?

HeartNotes3 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 2, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Is it better than the monomolecular whip?

I dont even know what DC means. I think its better than the mono whip ill have to compare em. I think mono whip has 21 dc and chainsword is 22 but the whip has armor piercing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Monowhip is 20 damage, 6! speed, -2 hit, armor piercing, flail (bonus to not hitting shields) and extend (can hit 2 tile range). The speed is a the real kicker, letting you get lots of hits in with a fast character. Then you can use an addon to either remove the to hit penalty or make it even faster. It only weighs 3kg so you can pile on lots of armor without worrying about encumbrance.
Monoscythe is also good but 2 more damage isn't worth -4 speed.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Monoscythe seems pretty good for attacking mechas on foot. I havent even tried the monowhip lately.

DA can you set up a phone line where i can pay $4.99/m to ask GH questions

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

HeartNotes3 posted:

Where am I going to even find a flaming mug?

Just set a canteen on fire.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Just Get Through

Just Get Through lives in this strange space between Spelunky and Super Meat Boy, a procedural platformer with loads of traps and tools to overcome them, that also gives you remarkable speed and freedom of movement. It's strange because it's not a space I'm sure that needs to be filled, because JGT has less depth than the former and less challenge than the latter. What it does have are a mess of modes to delve into, enough to keep you busy for a good long while.

There's no story or hook to the game, just you in endless deadly caverns, searching for the swirling exit. You'll run into just about every unpleasant trap you can imagine, from spinning sawblades to swinging axes, scattering shotguns to grinding chainsaws, rolling boulders to bleeping mines. To get through them, your spry little fellow can run, wall jump, and chuck TNT to blow up problematic parts of the level. The first handful of levels are mostly empty halls but into the double-digits you'll start facing intense gauntlets of traps that require significant patience and precision.

Every few levels you can choose an upgrade from an assortment of three, earning you boons like more lives or TNT, higher jumps, quicker sprints, or some key abilities like immunity to your own TNT or extra wall jumps. There are also different upgrades in the game's many different modes to help with the pertinent challenges. There's a Night Mode where you navigate with flares, a Coin Mode where you aim to collect as many coins as you can, and a Speed Mode where you start with tons of mobility upgrades but only one life. With nine modes in all, along with a database of user-created levels, you won't run out of traps to splatter yourself on.

And yet, I found myself a bit torn on Just Get Through. The platforming is responsive and challenging, the modes offer a wide range of challenges, there are extra palettes to unlock... all the pieces are there for a great roguelike platformer, but I'd by lying if I said nothing was missing. There's a certain thinness to the game, perhaps from the lack of progression, or plot, or level features. Spelunky is defined largely by the crazy antics you can stir up, and Super Meat Boy has an incredible variety of levels and challenges, and Just Get Through doesn't really come close to either of those hooks.

In the end, Just Get Through is the very definition of a good game, without poking an inch past into great game territory. The platforming is solid and there's a nigh-infinite amount of it on tap. There's just nothing beyond that to make it something special. I can certainly recommend it if you enjoy the look or the feel, but there's always going to be something better out there.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
This falls into the nebulous area of Hop-like, though technically the creator predates the game.

I'm talking, of course, about I Keep Having This Dream, the latest game from the guy behind goon favorite Dungeon Raid. Only out on iOS right now sadly, but an Android version is in the works.

The game consists of laying tiles to get to the exit of each world, where each tile can hold either powerups, or an enemy. You also have a Nemesis that follows you, advancing whenever you discard tiles from your hand, you accidentally build yourself into a dead end, or when you run out of health. The game ends when the Nemesis reaches your position.

The game is actually pretty simple, with the main tension coming from special enemies that are just as bastardly as the ones from Dungeon Raid, if not moreso. I also love the atmosphere a lot -- sound and music design is top notch. Some hot tips!

• 1/3rd of the attack value is lost each time an attack is made, but only if you deal health damage. This applies to both you and the enemy in case you're wondering why that snag isn't losing attack. For this reason sometimes you can juggle defense values so you take 1 or two health and then shave off a ton of attack.
  • 1/2 of the defense value is lost each time an attack is recieved. This is unconditional.
For the above two reasons it's sometimes better to drop a snag, then place a series of defense / attack tiles one after another since this gives you more value over several turns. Naturally this is different if you can kill a snag in one turn, or if you need to move out of one-shot range.
  • Since the Nemesis eats every tile behind you when you dead-end yourself you can use this as a last-ditch snag removal method (remember it'll still attack you once!). Nemesis gain a lot more experience from eating a special snag, but who cares?
  • Always pick up Eventful as your first upgrade. Events are a bit of a mixed bag, but they basically provide 'quests' where you have to place X of a certain color. There are a lot of useful effects in there, ranging from giant heals to xp / gear bonuses.
  • The first world is pretty chill so it's not a bad idea to deliberately stall a bit and grab a dozen gear tiles and level up early (via discarding tiles) to get a leg up on world two.
  • "What is this egg thing in my hand and why is my life agony?" Congrats, you drew Infestation! Unless you have an event that lets you remove special snags from your hand you are almost certainly going to lose.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 2, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RoboCicero posted:

Some hot tips!

• 1/3rd of the attack value each time an attack is made, but only if you deal health damage. This applies to both you and the enemy in case you're wondering why that snag isn't losing attack. For this reason sometimes you can juggle defense values so you take 1 or two health and then shave off a ton of attack.

Is this supposed to read "1/3rd of the attack value is lost each time an attack is made"? I read it a few times without knowing what you were trying to say, so I'm just guessing based on the following point.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I initially wrote it to be "your attack value" etc. but rewrote it since it applies to both you and enemies.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Picked the game up. It seems very cool so far - very strong board game feel, more than 'roguelike'. Furthest I've gotten so far is level 3.

What exactly does levelling up do? It seems like items make tiles spawn with larger values (and eventually have other effects, judging by the 'no special effects' on every item I've seen), and levelling up your HP seems to increase your max, but what on earth do attack & defense upgrades do?

korora
Sep 3, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

What exactly does levelling up do? It seems like items make tiles spawn with larger values (and eventually have other effects, judging by the 'no special effects' on every item I've seen), and levelling up your HP seems to increase your max, but what on earth do attack & defense upgrades do?

Attack/Shield/Heal tiles are drawn with face values between your relevant item stat and character stat. (You can see the range on your character summary screen). Leveling up also gets you perks which are absurdly important because they unlock item abilities, secondary stat boosts on items, passive attack/defense gain, etc.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Is there a way to savescum Sil?

I die pretty reliably around 400' and as much as I adore the game, I don't like going through the first part over and over again, because it isn't helping me get better at the parts I need to improve on. So I was hoping there was a way to just reload a save at around 400' and I can play from there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Monopthalmus posted:

Is there a way to savescum Sil?

I die pretty reliably around 400' and as much as I adore the game, I don't like going through the first part over and over again, because it isn't helping me get better at the parts I need to improve on. So I was hoping there was a way to just reload a save at around 400' and I can play from there.

Yes. You scum your save file. duh?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Serephina posted:

Yes. You scum your save file. duh?

Lmao is that embarrassing. I don't know why I assumed there would be some kind of measure to prevent it. Jesus :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Alternatively take your lumps like a man instead of savescumming like a bitch.