Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm glad I 'accidentally' got the achievement for SpeedrunRT because I am not efficient enough to do such a thing IRL. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The rest of the time I can deal with bad-ish performance, but speedrunrt is flat out impossible for me unless they find a way to address the Windows 7 issues. Otherwise I would definitely be working on it.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
SpeedrunRT is stressful in a way the rest of the game isn't. I would love a button I could press to move time forward without moving.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Irony.or.Death posted:

Man way to show me up before I even got there. I thought starting with the guy on the left was slowing it down so I did this, but picking up the assault rifle still beats sword tossing. Poor sword tossing.

okay if you open your video in youtube and really see what's going on at .5x or .25x speed, it's very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW5Cs-IZ160

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

SpeedrunRT is stressful in a way the rest of the game isn't. I would love a button I could press to move time forward without moving.

As a workaround you can tap left mouse if you haven't picked something up, or are in between shots, (you hear a click when your next shot is ready). Alternatively you can keep walking against a wall easily enough.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Agreedd. I'm chugging along decent at it, 20% so far. The first level is absolutely brutal though.
https://killstagram.com/s/IgnorantHarmlessDenimMoth
Somehow that was a 6s time, I'm guessing I held spacebar on the jump just a tiny bit. I completely lucked into grabbing the second guys gun too. I don't know how I can top that. I tried sniping the guy as he runs down the stairs but the timing doesn't seem possible.

https://killstagram.com/s/ShockingResponsibleQuartzKouprey
I think my computer must be lagging or something, or it calculates time weird. I did not slow at all, RT was 5.27 the non-RT was 3.02s.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 2, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

eSporks posted:

I don't know how I can top that. I tried sniping the guy as he runs down the stairs but the timing doesn't seem possible.

Shoot the first guy before he clears the corner, so the bullet hits him as he walks in to view, then immediately shoot the other guy. Nothing complicated about it. Just do it over and over without pausing for an instant.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Shoot the first guy before he clears the corner, so the bullet hits him as he walks in to view, then immediately shoot the other guy. Nothing complicated about it. Just do it over and over without pausing for an instant.
I was trying this but it didn't seem to have enough time to reload. I did just managed to get the shoot first guy, throw, catch, shoot the second guy. 0 pauses or jumps, 5.05 seconds. :negative:

EDIT: OK, finally got it. I had to shoot the guy on the left before he spawned, gave me enough time to reload and shoot the guy on the right. I was overthinking it a bit.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 2, 2016

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Ran into a glitch and recorded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDVBM-UHlPM

I made a NEW FRIEND :3:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 2, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I realized why I don't find The Endless as fun as everything else:

Because it doesn't end with SUPER.HOT.

This game got me good. :sigh:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

IMO this game is also a great companion-game for Devil Daggers; Superhot exercises your quick-thinking skills while letting you take it all in at your own pace, and devil daggers exercises your reflexes while crushing your soul.:black101:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/422970/

Also in DD you can watch anyone's replay by clicking their names in the leaderboards - including your friends. A pal of mine on steam who I was swapping killstagram vids with peeked in on my lovely play session earlier to laugh.

I am liking these new games that whittle FPS skill down to the bare nub. Are there any other games like these that do this sort of thing that people could recommend?

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 2, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So why are Killstagram videos actually a playlist of the same video twice? Easier to make it loop?

http://i.imgur.com/bSue1K3.gifv
Probably not exciting to the experts here but I'm amazed how easy this game makes it to do stuff that looks really cool.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 2, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd kill for a Hotline Miami mod. During the replay instead of SUPER.HOT.SUPER.HOT it'd play some New Retro Wave music instead.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'd kill for a Hotline Miami mod. During the replay instead of SUPER.HOT.SUPER.HOT it'd play some New Retro Wave music instead.

The whole game did really feel much like Hotline Miami: the FPS + bullet time

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I can only assume someone left one of my replays on loop overnight because I didn't show this one off to anyone (nothing super gimmicky happens, and it's not even my fastest time of this level) and it's got near 6000 views :stare:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

AlphaKretin posted:

So why are Killstagram videos actually a playlist of the same video twice? Easier to make it loop?

Actually yeah, I do it on my portfolio site. It's the only way to loop youtube videos as far as I know. I think it might just be a playlist of a single video, I can't remember.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Spacedad posted:

I am liking these new games that whittle FPS skill down to the bare nub. Are there any other games like these that do this sort of thing that people could recommend?
Check out Lovely Planet. Don't be fooled by its cute graphics, its a pretty unforgiving game.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

eSporks posted:

Check out Lovely Planet. Don't be fooled by its cute graphics, its a pretty unforgiving game.

Ah yes, the kawaii ESPORTS MOTHERFUCKER game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/29/superhot-virtual-reality-support/

SUPER HOT VR is coming

SUPER

HOT

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yep.

I find this interesting because: This game is also perfect as an early-generation VR game, because it lets people get used to how everything feels in FPS games at their own pace. The same can be done for getting used to how everything feels in VR.

If they manage to port this to mobile device VR and it takes off there, it will be a way to 'train' a lot of casuals in not just how to play fps games but get them used to how VR feels.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Yeah the mouse click is ok sometimes for moving forward but a dedicated button would be good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hate how expensive this game is but I love how good it is.

SUPER

HOT

:supaburn:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Anatharon posted:

I hate how expensive this game is but I love how good it is.

SUPER

HOT

:supaburn:

It's a really good game with a bunch of really neat post-campaign content, a built-in way to give your friends discounts on it, and a bunch of free postrelease content they want to put into the game. It's a good price.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

Does Superhotline Miami count?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Mine crashes all the time :( its super infuriating especially when you beat a speedrun time and then it just shuts off and doesn't record it. happens like every other game ;(

I never have any FPS slowdown either so I dunno whats wrong. My comp is no slouch either.

How can you check for updates on steam?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
have you gotten the updated exe

I think the big thing Idon't like about it is the lack of music. It works for some games, not so much here. Other games like it (Hotline Miami, NOT A HERO) have great soundtracks to pump you up for a reason.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Music would take away from the time distorted audio. I tried playing with music and didn't like it, I enjoy how serene everything feels when time stops.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

eSporks posted:

Music would take away from the time distorted audio. I tried playing with music and didn't like it, I enjoy how serene everything feels when time stops.

I guess to each their own. Actually I meant I'd want the music to be affected too, slowing down when time stops and speeding back up when you got to regular speed.

Do higher difficulties change the 'regular time' speed? As is even in 'regular time' when I'm moving everything is slowed down, and I had thought it'd be closer to real time.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 2, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I could see the being distorted too working, but it could also end up being unrecognizable or too simple and repetitive.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

eSporks posted:

I could see the being distorted too working, but it could also end up being unrecognizable or too simple and repetitive.

I might be misremembering but I think SSX2012 had a similar feature that worked pretty well.

Viewtiful Joe also had the music slow down during slowtime.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Anatharon posted:

I might be misremembering but I think SSX2012 had a similar feature that worked pretty well.

Half-right, the music didn't slow but when you caught big air it would dull it so that you could hear wind rushing past and the like. I think that's actually been a thing since Tricky.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Like a loving ballet

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Viewtiful Joe also had the music slow down during slowtime.
Vuewiful Joe did yea, but you played the majority of tgat game at full speed unlike Superhot where you play the majority in slo mo. Joe also had faked SFX for the slo mo, this game is actually playing the audio back at different speeds.
I could be completely wrong, and maybe we get music in the future but I just don't see it working well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how to: lose your katana and still win a katana-only stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY96YzRzz6U

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Spacedad posted:

Ran into a glitch and recorded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDVBM-UHlPM

I made a NEW FRIEND :3:

That map seems to frequently spawn AI that just stand around. On the bright side it's really good for a Throw-0nly run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpjoAW1Zds

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can save replays of failed runs? :stare: gently caress me I missed a hilarious moment because I assumed you couldn't.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AlphaKretin posted:

You can save replays of failed runs? :stare: gently caress me I missed a hilarious moment because I assumed you couldn't.

Yup, just wait a bit and it'll bring up the replay like normal

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
https://killstagram.com/s/DapperWatchfulSiennaOkapi

I've watched this loop for like five minutes straight and I still can't decide whether shooting the replay this way makes it deeply unsettling or incredibly silly. I feel like I'm going to have to experiment more with this.

(Num0 for free camera in edit mode, I forget which ones toggle player model and viewmodel, but they are both on the numpad somewhere. Also very useful for scouting out secret terminals.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Perpetual posted:

https://killstagram.com/s/DapperWatchfulSiennaOkapi

I've watched this loop for like five minutes straight and I still can't decide whether shooting the replay this way makes it deeply unsettling or incredibly silly. I feel like I'm going to have to experiment more with this.

(Num0 for free camera in edit mode, I forget which ones toggle player model and viewmodel, but they are both on the numpad somewhere. Also very useful for scouting out secret terminals.)

This is a game changer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Perpetual posted:

Thanks, I was curious about this.

• Locked thread