Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kaizoku posted:

Heather.

I was thinking about that, but we don't really know anything about Heather. She doesn't have an accent and her name just sounds sort of British. So I didn't want to assume that she's Indian just because her skin is sligtly dark. I guess her ethnicity is just ambigious because she doesn't really define herself by it. Which I am fine with. She wasn't introduced as the Indian neighbor, but simply as the slacker neighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

JAP = Jewish American Princess, it's a pretty common term for people to call themselves or their friends only semi-ironically. In this sense, it's their decision whether to use it or not as they're a member of the group the term describes.

That's fair enough if it's a term that existed before the show but you do know the other meaning of 'Jap', right? Even if it hasn't been in common usage for 50 years or so outside of cranky war vets.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Escobarbarian posted:

That's fair enough if it's a term that existed before the show but you do know the other meaning of 'Jap', right? Even if it hasn't been in common usage for 50 years or so outside of cranky war vets.
Its jewish american princess. At least according to jewish girls from new york. Which makes sense for the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it also means JAPANESE PERSON this is not complicated

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 3, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

seems like your issue is with the slang JAP which was not invented by this show and has been around and in use for at least five years or so (that I remember)

e: apparently it's much older

Phoon fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 3, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

You wrote your own counter point but are still complaining. Some people are just dedicated to being offended I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I carried the point on because there were like 3-4 people who were totally missing it and actively not making any attempt to understand.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
We're making an active effort to understand, and we agree with you 100%. If the song was two Jewish American Princesses throwing down about Pearl Harbor, we'd have a problem too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Escobarbarian posted:

I carried the point on because there were like 3-4 people who were totally missing it and actively not making any attempt to understand.

Homonyms aren't the same word. I'm not missing the point, you're saying that they don't get to take ownership of a slur that is in fairly common usage today because there's another one of fairly antiquated usage that sounds the same. You're wrong.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Phoon posted:

seems like your issue is with the slang JAP which was not invented by this show and has been around and in use for at least five years or so (that I remember)

e: apparently it's much older

JAP has been around for generations

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Escobarbarian posted:

Nobody was missing it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am surprised Rebecca didn't apologise for using that word in the song, because that would absolutely be in character for her. See how she was offended by CalMex cuisine on behalf of Latino workers of the restaurant.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Paladinus posted:

I am surprised Rebecca didn't apologise for using that word in the song, because that would absolutely be in character for her. See how she was offended by CalMex cuisine on behalf of Latino workers of the restaurant.
She is ethnically qualified to make Jewish jokes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_Jews#Jewish-American_Princess says mid 20th century as the origin for JAP.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

adhuin posted:

She is ethnically qualified to make Jewish jokes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_Jews#Jewish-American_Princess says mid 20th century as the origin for JAP.

No, I mean, there could have been a joke about two words sounding the same and Rebecca feeling the need to apologise, although there's no reason to.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

well they're both in the ACLU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They're both cool with black people.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Duh and progressive as hell.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
This is like the dumbest derail ever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fwiw I still feel pretty justified seeing how I said "no I didn't mean thing 1, I meant thing 2" and three times in a row I got the reply "but thing 1! thing 1!!!!!!!!"

I'm not offended by the Jap thing but I do think it's iffy that they used a racist term for Japanese people even though it means something else, with their only acknowledgement being "too bad if you're offended LOL" (which is actually in the lyrics of the song, idiots who think I am making this all up.) hopefully this post is clear enough that there are no more stupid replies!

e: this post is arrogant and dumb apologies

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 3, 2016

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

fwiw I still feel pretty justified seeing how I said "no I didn't mean thing 1, I meant thing 2" and three times in a row I got the reply "but thing 1! thing 1!!!!!!!!"

I'm not offended by the Jap thing but I do think it's iffy that they used a racist term for Japanese people even though it means something else, with their only acknowledgement being "too bad if you're offended LOL" (which is actually in the lyrics of the song, idiots who think I am making this all up.) hopefully this post is clear enough that there are no more stupid replies!

lol by the context of the song it is loving obvious they aren't talking about japanese people, you are being a stupid pedant about this, and you are wrong

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
If someone ordered Sour Kraut on their hotdog would you shake your head because of their anti german racism?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Escobarbarian posted:

I entirely addressed your concerns and you didn't respond to them. You are the one not listening. They didn't use a racist term for Japanese people, they used a racist term for affluent jewish women that happens to sound the same. It's not even spelled the same when case considerations come into play. JAP vs Jap, so homonym was the wrong term earlier. It should be homophone. Oops.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
In the song Audrey also says "I've studied every CHINK in your armor" which she even emphasizes.

Obviously this show is about hating Asian people.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

But did you know it meant Jewish American Princess? hth

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

I entirely addressed your concerns and you didn't respond to them. You are the one not listening. They didn't use a racist term for Japanese people, they used a racist term for affluent jewish women that happens to sound the same. It's not even spelled the same when case considerations come into play. JAP vs Jap, so homonym was the wrong term earlier. It should be homophone. Oops.

But the reason they say the "find this offensive? TOO BAD LOL" thing in the song is because they're well aware that it means the same thing, no? They're not saying people are offended by the Jewish version.

When you start talking about case considerations you might have to admit your argument is a lil weak.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

They're not saying people are offended by the Jewish version.

lol yes they are

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But why would that be offensive at all? The only way it makes sense is "because it sounds the same as the racist term for Japanese people".

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

did you guys know Jewish stereotypes weren't allowed to be offensive??? Something to do with the holocaust I imagine.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If they were Japanese Jews would that be more or less racist? Worth discussing at length imo

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Escobarbarian posted:

But why would that be offensive at all? The only way it makes sense is "because it sounds the same as the racist term for Japanese people".

Indeed, why *would* being called a stupid, spoiled, materialistic brat be offensive to Jewish women?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Jewish American Princess was a derogatory term they are reclaiming via rap music hence "sorry if you're offended"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh really? gently caress. Excuse me while I totally drop this and run away.

(we don't really know about Jewish stuff in the UK okay :( )

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'm from the UK too and I think I'd heard the term like one time before the episode yeah

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
nevermind this is over now, back to White Josh appreciation please

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I think it's use is fairly regional in the US also. I grew up in central Texas where there are not many Jewish people and was not aware of the acronym JAP (although I was aware of the concept of a Jewish-American princess from TV and comedy). On the other hand, my girlfriend who grew up in Brooklyn immediately realized what it was referring to.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think we should move past it now

given experiencing a musical number is an indicator of crisis/serious issues, who has/hasn't experienced a song so far?

Rebecca, Greg and Paula each have for sure (Paula might stop now that her relationship with her husband is doing better)
Daryl had that party song but I'm not sure that really counts, Josh had the letter which again was not a full blown musical number, though it clearly had an effect on him

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Daryl had the daughter song.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
gonna prolly be the minority on this one but Having a Few People over was great, and in my book counts as a song

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
If you haven't done it already, watch the JAP battle again and focus entirely on the background singers. Darryl, Paula, Josh and the New York Lawyers are killin it.

I haven't seen chicks rap like this since 1996.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngRGTkDKqs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the daughter song was in Rebecca's head though

I think it's something worth keeping track because (at least at the beginning of the show) seeing/hearing the music is an indicator of something going wrong

eg Greg sang settle for me but didn't experience the song, he even refutes Rebecca's description of "settle for me vibes" but then his life falls apart over thanksgiving and he experiences his first song - in the pilot the musical notes even start to pop in as Rebecca's nervous breakdown begins, and you can see her confusedly looking around for where they're coming from.

Daryl's party song is the odd one really - that episode is about how lonely he is which maybe causes a minor musical event?? poo poo I forgot until just now that he literally just got divorced and found out his wife was cheating on him the whole time

• Locked thread