Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choadmaster posted:

Badass magic battle between Allanon and the Dagda Mor (and maybe some awesome demon dragons or some other crazy poo poo from the book because come on, gently caress yeah): Nope. But here's a few seconds of them pointing fire sticks at each other though. Cool, right?
With light saber sound effects for some reason.

The highlight for me though was the bit where Amberly turned into a tree, because all I could think was "I do not want to be a tree. I am a tree!"

And if you don't recognise that, you should watch Lexx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

karrethuun posted:

Yeah this show was just bad. The source material isn't that great to be honest, and imo not that well suited to TV. The acting was ok at best, the direction seemed terrible though. Is there a quota of panning shots of the drat capital we need every episode jesus. And I agree with the lack of sense of distance in the show. Arborlon to safehold is supposed to be roughly spokane to san francisco, ~900 miles or so. I'm not sure what beach you ride along for a few hours to get between the 2. If I hadn't been a fan of the series when younger I wouldn't have even bothered with this show. Hopefully this won't deter future fantasy series.

I will say though that hipsters booing spock for being an elf was a high point however.

Yeah the whole show was pretty bad overall with only a few good moments.

Separating Will and Allanon was another sort of blunder since they are are the only actors who had good screen chemistry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"Oh hey we're cut off from Arborlon."
"Maybe we should use the whistle and call that one eared guy so his Roc can just fly us there?"
"Nah let's go canoodle in a cave for a couple hours while everyone else is being demonmurdered."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Maybe we should use the whistle and call that one eared guy so his Roc can just fly us there?"
"Nah let's go canoodle in a cave for a couple hours while everyone else is being demonmurdered."

I'm sorry to say I didn't even think of that. They could've just not hosed around in the tunnel between San Fran and wherever they were and the whole troll kidnapping thing didn't have to happen. I guess they're saving that for next season?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how everything was wrapped up not so well in a short standard length episode with no real sense of payoff or reward.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tiggum posted:

you should watch Lexx.
Pretty much period.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This show is terrible and I can't believe I watched the entire season with you guys.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

This show is terrible and I can't believe I watched the entire season with you guys.

Eritrea constantly sprinting around in those tight leather pants got me through this bad show.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Josh Lyman posted:

You know what's worse? I want to see season 2.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

Well let me tell you about Shadowhunters

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

etalian posted:

I liked how everything was wrapped up not so well in a short standard length episode with no real sense of payoff or reward.

"Oh hey I'm gonna go become a tree, bye forever!"
"We just beheaded the Dagda Mor and there's only 12 demons left and they're pretty weak rear end so there's no need for that."
"LOL nope tree time!"

The battle scenes were weak as poo poo, they tried to build up a sense of a small army of elves and gnomes being overrrun by a vastly larger army of implacable monsters in the scenes leading up to it but just couldn't pull it off. They had a few cheapass establishing shots where they copy/pasted the same 6 demon warriors a couple hundred times over but they really obviously didn't have the budget to make the battle scenes reflect that.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I did find it kind of funny that Amberle's sacrifice wasn't at all key to defeating the Dagda Mor, all it took was cutting his head off with the magic collapsible druid sword. The show at least established that the demons had a hilarious "1000:1" advantage so it made some sense that a new Ellcrys was necessary even with him dead, but it still made the whole thing anticlimactic.

I am kind of curious where they would go in a second season with regard to Amberle. It would be pretty ballsy if they just said "She's a tree now, no more Amberle" and went ahead with Will and Eritrea as the two leads, but I expect they'd find some way to get regular sexy elf Amberle back on the show within the first two episodes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ShakeZula posted:

I am kind of curious where they would go in a second season with regard to Amberle. It would be pretty ballsy if they just said "She's a tree now, no more Amberle" and went ahead with Will and Eritrea as the two leads, but I expect they'd find some way to get regular sexy elf Amberle back on the show within the first two episodes.

That would be a pretty major diversion from the books; not sure if they'd go quite that far

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does the long hair elf guy end up having some sort of psychic connection to the tree, so she can just follow them wherever in his head? Maybe because of his elf magic he can project her so others can see too? Basically keeping the status quo but she's technically a tree.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ShakeZula posted:

They basically covered the whole of the book with this season. If they're following the books, technically next season should see a token appearance by Will and Eritrea then be a whole new group (plus Allanon)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
At least the worse actress of the two died.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

So, book readers, who is it that Eritrea looks up and sees at the end?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

When does she look up and see someone? I must have missed that.

But the escape from Safehold (like basically everything) in the show bears only superficial similarities to the book.

Amberle comes out of the bloodfire extremely weak. Wil starts to carry her while Eretria lights the way back out of Safehold's mountain catacombs with the flashlights (err, "smokeless lights") they found on their way in. Then they realize they don't know how to get out, and Wil will have to use the Elfstones to find the way out. (Totally unmentioned in the show, but every color elfstones have different purposes. The blue ones are the seeking Elfstones and are meant to lead the user to wherever.) Eretria tells Wil that she understands how much he loves Amberle, and that he can trust her to carry Amberle to safety while he uses the stones. Will does so. The stones lead them out of the tunnels. They get on the Roc with Perk and all fly back to Arborlon together.

Then Amberle is a tree.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

Could it be her dad? We didn't see him die on camera.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Josh Lyman posted:

And last we saw him, he was covering Our Heroes as they fled from the Star Trek watching party after trolls showed up to wipe them out. It's her dad for sure.

There is no way this gets a season 2.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

DrProsek posted:

There is no way this gets a season 2.

Executive producer is claiming it exceeded MTV's expectations and he has high hopes for another season. Either there are a shitload of us hatewatching or we've all underestimated the ability of MTV's core demographic to swallow lovely writing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm guessing her real dad is a troll, which explains her cutie mark mysterious Safe Hold tattoo

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Executive producer is claiming it exceeded MTV's expectations and he has high hopes for another season. Either there are a shitload of us hatewatching or we've all underestimated the ability of MTV's core demographic to swallow lovely writing.

I'd give it a solid 6/10. Some lovely acting and dialogue for sure, but things like set design and makeup were really good and helped sell the setting, and the mix of modern day and fantasy elements was quite intriguing. The CGI wasn't half bad either, especially for a show like this.

Aggregate ratings were quite decent:

Aside from the acting and dialogue, a lot of the criticism seems to come from book readers, who didn't like the significant deviation from the source material. I haven't read the books so I don't give a poo poo, personally.

Anyway, a lot of shows "sucked" on their first season before finding their footing. I would put Supernatural in that category, for example. It had terrible writing, bad acting and a very weak overall plot, but it's on its what... tenth season now?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sober posted:

Well let me tell you about Shadowhunters

The premise was interesting, even if not super original.

But the execution is a class of failure all on its own.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

You'll be pleased to know that's how it goes down in the book. The get their asses to Arborlon ASAP by flying back on the rocs. The demon horde has basically sacked the whole city by that point and are pushing into the gardens to try and destroy the remains of the Elcryss. Amberle and Will get dropped off like right next to the tree just as the demons make a breach in the wall and start rushing in. She literally transforms into a new Elcryss just in time to stop the demons. It's the whole "Eagles to Mt. Doom scenario" but actually happens this time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

You'll be pleased to know that's how it goes down in the book. The get their asses to Arborlon ASAP by flying back on the rocs. The demon horde has basically sacked the whole city by that point and are pushing into the gardens to try and destroy the remains of the Elcryss. Amberle and Will get dropped off like right next to the tree just as the demons make a breach in the wall and start rushing in. She literally transforms into a new Elcryss just in time to stop the demons. It's the whole "Eagles to Mt. Doom scenario" but actually happens this time.

I like how they had the plot detour with the elf scout and he shouts just use this magic whistle if you ever needed help.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Choadmaster posted:

:stare: huh. The article's from 2/19, but I can't imagine the show would have had such a massive dropoff in the last two weeks that it would go from exceeding expectations to at risk of cancellation.

I think if season 2 either changes leads or sends Austin Butler and Ivana Baquero (and Poppy Drayton if they bring back Amberle) to acting boot camp, the show could be unironically decent. There's a lot of other bad actors but any sort of praise I want to give the show for a cool high fantasy/post apocalypse aesthetic or Mannu Bennett being amazing or scenes like the Spock booing is drowned out by "3 of the 4 leads can barely read their lines".

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
This show is worse than Legend of the Seeker, even excepting all the barely-concealed fetishes the author compulsively threw in.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DrProsek posted:

:stare: huh. The article's from 2/19, but I can't imagine the show would have had such a massive dropoff in the last two weeks that it would go from exceeding expectations to at risk of cancellation.

I think if season 2 either changes leads or sends Austin Butler and Ivana Baquero (and Poppy Drayton if they bring back Amberle) to acting boot camp, the show could be unironically decent. There's a lot of other bad actors but any sort of praise I want to give the show for a cool high fantasy/post apocalypse aesthetic or Mannu Bennett being amazing or scenes like the Spock booing is drowned out by "3 of the 4 leads can barely read their lines".

Actually I think the actors (with the exception of the crazy elf dude) were fine. It's just that their source material was so bad that it completely took the viewer out of the scene.

Besides, when you have powerhouses like Mannu Bennett, everyone is going to look lame by comparison. It's not their fault.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Despite all the flaws i think the show was decent, i like that they wrapped up the story relatively quickly,

"Oh hey I'm gonna go become a tree, bye forever!"
"We just beheaded the Dagda Mor and there's only 12 demons left and they're pretty weak rear end so there's no need for that."
"LOL nope tree time!"

I am pretty sure that her sacrificing herself by entering the tree is what caused all the demons to disintegrate.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
You are the seed! you must become the tree!

NO! I MUST BE WITH MY ELF BOY.

*Sleeps with Elf boy*

Ok I am ready to be tree now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barn Rave!!!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really hope next season they go to a village where they watch Lord of the Rings.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

I really hope next season they go to a village where they watch Lord of the Rings.
That would fill enough hours it would be the entire season!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chairman Capone posted:

Did we see any dwarfs in Shannara? Do they look like dwarfs or are they all ugly like gnomes?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tiggum posted:

Did we see any dwarfs in Shannara? Do they look like dwarfs or are they all ugly like gnomes?

I don't think there was a single dwarf shown on-screen.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

ShakeZula posted:

Maybe she got preggo and you can't permanently be tree if you're preggo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Will gonna be the proud dad of an Ent

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azhais posted:

Will gonna be the proud dad of an Ent

Will is actually Groot's father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

etalian posted:

Will is actually Groot's father

Groot is too strong and wise to be born from this show.

• Locked thread