Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

:agreed:, sometimes things are funny simply because of an unexpected combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Puppy Time posted:

My favorite is the little teeny MILF in a sea of Lesbian.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PBS Newshour posted:

I enjoy laughing at the tragedy of things sometimes so I find aspects of the Everest stuff to be funny but it gets weird when people are gleefully looking forward to people dying.

Imagine there's a section of highway that has the most lanes in the world. Like 20 or something. And running across it has a one in 10 chance of being creamed by a truck and requires leaving a bunch of litter on the side of the road and the help of poor locals who also have that chance of death and just want to feed their families. Now there's literally hundreds of rich people who pay $50,000 for the chance to run across the highway, dragging the locals with them. Just so they can say they ran across it.

If you can't see why these highway runners deserve ridicule than you're not capable of understanding the Everest thread.

Also imagine that since the highway has been crossed there's other people deciding to do it blindfolded for some reason.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

like most mock threads the subject might be funny but then people get really obsessive and weird about it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Imagine there's a section of highway that has the most lanes in the world. Like 20 or something. And running across it has a one in 10 chance of being creamed by a truck and requires leaving a bunch of litter on the side of the road and the help of poor locals who also have that chance of death and just want to feed their families. Now there's literally hundreds of rich people who pay $50,000 for the chance to run across the highway, dragging the locals with them. Just so they can say they ran across it.

If you can't see why these highway runners deserve ridicule than you're not capable of understanding the Everest thread.

Also imagine that since the highway has been crossed there's other people deciding to do it blindfolded for some reason.

imagine someone making a really tortured analogy

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Alaois posted:

imagine someone making a really tortured analogy

i would want that person to die

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Of exposure, on mount everest.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

will_colorado posted:

Dodgers pitcher Josh Ravin suffered a broken arm in a car accident and tweeted a photo of it:

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/lY2CL8c.jpg

:staredog:

IcePhoenix posted:

"welp" ¯\_(ツ)_}

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

i mean i give him credit, he kept it under 5 paragraphs unlike leperflesh's mountain of poo poo

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

that took some time to put together

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

insufficient guns posted:

I wonder what the nickname was.

Dreddout posted:

Malcom XXY

---

dog buttz posted:

This feels like Stephanie Meyer found a disabled guy and decided to use him to write a real life Twilight story.

:downs: I know what you are

:j: Type it. Type it now.

:downs: an ally.

---

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Slowmeo and Juliet

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Outrail posted:

Time works the same way

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

many johnnys posted:

Time works the same way

Imagine four runners on a highway....

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Toyota works the same way.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Solice Kirsk posted:

Isn't that a Deerhoof album?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think we need some sort of goon analogy school or something because wtf

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bad analogies are like when you're half-asleep and decide to play a racing video game and you doze off in the middle of the race, and crash your car, so you're super freaked out for a moment because you think it's real, and you quickly call your insurance company, but you're afraid you might lose your insurance if they find out you were driving while very tired, so you say your friend might have crashed his car in a video game, and then you wake up and realise none of it was real and you never even liked racing video games.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FlyinPingu posted:

like most mock threads the subject might be funny but then people get really obsessive and weird about it

I miss the TV tropes thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If the analogies were good there would be nothing to complain about and you'd complain about that instead.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Outrail posted:

If the analogies were good there would be nothing to complain about and you'd complain about that instead.

your analogy sucked but i'm glad you find enjoyment from people freezing to death or whatever

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The Silo That Wanted To Become A Yurt is just amazing, I'm happy every time I see it.

This is so cute I want to save it forever or until SA forums dot com shuts down.

Same thread:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is there a scientific explanation as to why everything seems super dark around a huge fire/explosion even if it's outside and well ventilated. I know smoke could account for some of it, but it always just seems like it pulls all the light into it and it's kinda weird. I'd say it could be a trick with cameras but even in real life I've seen it with like building fires and what not.

satanic splash-back posted:

You're loving stupid, do you not understand how light and eyes work or what?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Obviously not because I asked the question.

jamal posted:

You can try this yourself at home. Go outside and stare at the sun, everything else will look darker.

Jesus Christ posted:

And don't stop staring until you become a math genius.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Context: A goon got sued by RIAA, the people that sue you for downloading music.

loquacius posted:

I dunno if you know what kind of lawyers the RIAA has (had?) but fighting that poo poo would have cost waaaaay more than $3000

My dad is a lawyer and right after I was served with the notice I called him in a panic and he calmed me down by saying everything was okay and he was gonna call a friend of his in the field and we were gonna beat this. The next day he called me back and said we were paying the $3000.

Being an RIAA lawyer in the '00s must have been a p sweet gig. It's like having a company that only does billing and nothing else, and people have to pay your bills or you get to hand them an even larger bill.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
Last month, there was a very minor derail involving roasting Ted Cruz. Cash crab's is my favorite, but they're all pretty good.

Bill NYSE posted:

old but wonderful

cash crab posted:

Someone recently pointed out to me that Ted Cruz constantly looks like he's on the verge of tears, like he's just gotten served divorce papers but he's trying to keep it light out with the boys for a beer or two, but he's thinking like, "Linda, why"

Your Computer posted:

I've never heard him speak but his face makes me think he's constantly making the Tina Belcher groan

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He looks like he just got the wrong order at a restaurant but doesn't want to send it back.

"I didn't order spaghetti, but I guess it'll do..."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He look like Mr Rogers hosed Eeyore and he is the resulting lovechild.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Gotta say, Avshalom Theology needs a wider following.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What the hell?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karate Bastard posted:

What the hell?

Avshalom is a dumb gimmick shitposter that other bad posters like for some reason.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I sometimes ask questions for which I know there are no answers that will improve my life in any way. What is book of Ariel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karate Bastard posted:

I sometimes ask questions for which I know there are no answers that will improve my life in any way. What is book of Ariel.

Her stupid gimmick is writing about being possessed by Ariel Sharon and/or "erotic" dreams about same. I assume she just congealed all her various bullshit posts on the subject into a PDF or something.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ha ha I was wrong that's actually hilarious!

:roflolmao:

Thank you!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Avshalom is a dumb gimmick shitposter that other bad posters like for some reason.
Counterpoint:

frozenpussy posted:

I love drawing. I'm just not the person who likes doodling on something for hours and hours when all I have to show for it is one drawing.

I want to improve very much, I didn't say otherwise. Improvement is very much a goal.

I started drawing when I was 8. I'm 32 now. I only recently (two years ago) decided to take art seriously. I've never been happier.

Here's an example of the efficiency I'm referring to. I spent easily 12 hours turning this image

into this image

I have other similar drawings. I could repeat that process and slave away on each and every frame, and it would look fantastic. But the duplication of effort bothered me. I would be drawing a character over and over, so instead of that, I decided to build the model myself, and texture it... so that producing an image with that character in the future was a matter of placing the scene and grabbing a render, then working over it in Corel Painter.

I'm in the middle of those classes right now, so I don't have a completed textured model to show. But the efficiency is apparent in this example of an upscaling I did using a Diablo 3 model. This was ten minutes of effort.

Other random modelling things I've done

That screengrab became this image in Corel Painter after another, what, 20 minutes. When I have the model textured (which includes color), Corel Painter will handle that for me, too.

Build up an environment and character assets initially, and you can crank out episodes of a comic very quickly, and they'll look fantastic, too. I was looking for that consistency and efficiency, I just didn't know it.

I'd like to eventually animate short films. Drawings are turning out to be a pleasant byproduct.

Avshalom posted:

:rolleyes: Okay, let's get this thread back on-topic. Now we're talking about likeable vs. interesting characters, I just thought I'd run a few character designs for my comic relaunch past the thread. My designs in the past have been pretty flat and sameish, they didn't express the characters' background, culture or personality very well. I've been dabbling in a style that mixes photomanipulation with digital painting, so it's got that nice foundation of realism but with a veneer of artistry over the top. It's good because I've always had a tendency to get caught up in re-drawing and worrying about little details. This way I can get a comic out as soon as I've collected the photos. Anyway, here are the characters (all the photos are my own):

Lumina Brennan: The "leader" of the group. Headstrong, a little bossy, secretly insecure and worried about her appearance, but she hides that under a veneer of self-confidence as you can see from her straightforward no-nonsense flaunting of her body. Each of the characters has an elemental power and Lumina's is Light, so I tried to incorporate a rainbow element into her design to evoke the light spectrum without relying on cliches like blonde hair or literal glowing.

Plum Blossom Yang: The genius of the group. Her elemental power is Brain. She is a ninja who is very shy and submissive, but uses her meek appearance to get close enough to her victims to strike them with her neuro-hacking, with which she can take control of their bodies. However, she prefers to control her own body - she's an athlete as well as an intellectual and considers her perfect figure to be a symbol of her power and ability, so she displays it proudly whenever possible.

Mengelina Finn: The sassy girl. Her elemental power is Water. I made her a redhead as a bit of irony. She actually gets really upset when people point out how funny it is that a redhead is in control of water! Although Lumina tends to take control, Mengelina is the true leader who influences the others through snark and sarcastic remarks. Sometimes she can go a bit too far and cause offence, but she has a good heart and tends to be right about most things. She grew up on a secluded island living a subsistence hunter-gatherer lifestyle, so she never learnt to be ashamed of her body and she usually goes naked because it helps her swim faster.

Choo Choo: The alien. Choo Choo's elemental power is Fire. She's actually originally a tool of the invading aliens (the villains of the comic) and is a modified deathbot who was hacked by Plum Blossom and developed sentience and a personality. She's quiet but extremely powerful. She doesn't really understand humans yet, but the other girls are trying to teach her to fit in with human society and constantly reassure her that she's beautiful and desirable to boost her self-confidence, which leads to her slowly becoming more empowered and willing to display her body over the course of the comic.

Let me know what you think! I'm hoping to get the first few comics out as soon as I'm totally happy with the art style.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

burexas.irom posted:

Man is my finger not on the pulse of this forum. Poison womb is funny, but rich people committing suicide by ego is somehow not?

I'm getting old. :corsair:

The lady who made a website about training to climb everest and her training mostly consisted of photoshopping herself into pictures of mountains was funny. That was like three years ago and it's really weird how the same group of people are howling with laughter and using the word schadenfreude improperly while talking about how great it is that people are being punished with death for climbing the bad kind of mountain.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

little munchkin posted:

The lady who made a website about training to climb everest and her training mostly consisted of photoshopping herself into pictures of mountains was funny. That was like three years ago and it's really weird how the same group of people are howling with laughter and using the word schadenfreude improperly while talking about how great it is that people are being punished with death for climbing the bad kind of mountain.

My favourite part is how they keep saying that Everest is not a "technical skills" mountain, and that any idiot can climb it, it's just luck that determines whether they live or die.
But in the same breath they say that everyone that is dying on it is an idiot who deserves to die because they're rich white morons that can't climb mountains guys!!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ahahaha

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

little munchkin posted:

it's really weird how the same group of people are howling with laughter and using the word schadenfreude improperly

If they're laughing then that's legitimate schadenfreude. The only prerequisite is that someone finds someone else's misfortune funny, it doesn't have to be 'deserved' misfortune or funny to everyone or whatever else.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Laughing at people who fall off a mountain is a schadenfreudian slip.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Abugadu posted:

Laughing at people who fall off a mountain is a schadenfreudian slip.

hahaha gently caress

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If they're laughing then that's legitimate schadenfreude. The only prerequisite is that someone finds someone else's misfortune funny, it doesn't have to be 'deserved' misfortune or funny to everyone or whatever else.

Oh, well if they're using the word right, then it's really normal and good for a bunch of out-of-shape, sedentary goons to spend years celebrating the deaths of people with the audacity to go outdoors.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The everest threads are actually really good and cover a lot more stuff than just everest if you read them. Sure theres dudes who've never climbed a mountain in their life making GBS threads on the difficulty of it but there are some very smart people talking about a lot of similar and related topics and effort posting, it can be pretty interesting. There are people who take it way too far, at the end of the day Everest is an easy mountain compared to literally everything around it, doesn't mean it's an Easy Mountain though. Just ignore the crap stuff.

The last time I read it, there was talk of stuff like underwater caves and other mountains around the world. Everything about those caves is pure :stare:

E: It might have been because the mountain closed last year that the thread was good though

underage at the vape shop has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Mar 3, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Last month, there was a very minor derail involving roasting Ted Cruz. Cash crab's is my favorite, but they're all pretty good.

I've been saying for some time that Cruz always has an expression on his face like he just found out too late that he put on pants someone else made a dump in and he's got to try to pretend everything's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

E: It might have been because the mountain closed last year that the thread was good though
It might have.