Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Thank you for the recommendation but that's not really what I'm looking for.

My research seems to indicate nobody makes a decent mid sized truck anymore so it looks like im definitely going usec

I'd buy a used legacy wagon. I can get four bikes on the roof (tight) with room for a 5th in the hatch.
That said: if it is your only vehicle, get a taco because it is a nicer place to be. If it is a second vehicle or you use public transit or bikes when not hauling, get a ranger/mazda b2000 for maximum cheapness.
There were also nissan compact trucks but I dunno much about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

tater_salad posted:

Get a ppi I looked at a car from a shop once ppi returned results thst would cost more than the vehicle was worth..
Just because it's from a shop doesn't mean they did anything to it.

Well, the stuff I mentioned on the previous page - " they just replaced the timing belt, timing idlers, water pump, thermostat, did transmission service and oil change" - is all stuff they did recently to the car.

I get where you're coming from, but taking it from a repair/shop place to another repair/shop place kind of feels pointless. If you think it's worth it I'll bother.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

nm posted:

I'd buy a used legacy wagon. I can get four bikes on the roof (tight) with room for a 5th in the hatch.
That said: if it is your only vehicle, get a taco because it is a nicer place to be. If it is a second vehicle or you use public transit or bikes when not hauling, get a ranger/mazda b2000 for maximum cheapness.
There were also nissan compact trucks but I dunno much about them.

Yeah I'm an all seasons cyclist with no car currently and this is would be a weekly driver like "I want to play in the woods" and "I want to be able to go more than 8mph hauling a weeks worth of groceries home" kind of ride. I don't need anything fancy but I do want something fun. I've previously always driven sedans and hatches so I want something different.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I note you are in Boston be wary of the frame rust recalled tacos. I'd probably do a ford/mazda as it will be way newer.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'll check out the other ones the other guy mentioned but are tacos a safe bet? That's what my research is telling me. Rust issue was on the generation ending in 2005, yeah? It definitely seems like I'm going to need to fly south of the mason Dixon to get a used taco that hasn't had to deal with New England winters

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Proposed Budget: $40-$50k
New or Used: Used, but not more than 4-5 years old. Preferably the current model.
Body Style: Large sedan or any size SUV.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. Meeting with and transporting clients. It must be able to seat 5.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes.
What aspects are most important to you? My clients are generally a materialistic bunch, thus I want a car that looks expensive without ridiculous depreciation. This pretty much limits me to the used luxury market. A secondary concern is I would prefer a car that isn't constantly breaking down so no Range Rovers or anything like that. I would also prefer good performance but this is tertiary.

EDIT: The badge is important, I have mainland Chinese clients who are incredibly superficial about brands.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 3, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Is a lexus gs big enough? If so, that.
Or a cts-v, though it won't be as reliable, it will be cool as gently caress.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Have you considered a Jeep Grand Cherokee? You can get a seriously decked out 2015-2016 in that price range from what I've seen. I'm not quite sure if it'll meet your criteria of "looking expensive" but I think they look absolutely gorgeous and the interior is also very nice. Should be very reliable as well and performance is more than adequate.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I believe he's dealing with badge whores which is my I didn't mention the chevy ss (get a manual it probably won't lose much value) or even the Infiniti M37/45.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

nm posted:

Is a lexus gs big enough? If so, that.
Or a cts-v, though it won't be as reliable, it will be cool as gently caress.

Yes, but I was thinking German. Chinese car pricing is weird. Two cars that cost similar amounts in the US can have wildly different prices in China. In general European imports cost way more than Japanese imports for some reason.

Used Panameras are in my price range which would be perfect except for having only 4 seats. In China they start at like $200k.

100% Dundee posted:

Have you considered a Jeep Grand Cherokee? You can get a seriously decked out 2015-2016 in that price range from what I've seen. I'm not quite sure if it'll meet your criteria of "looking expensive" but I think they look absolutely gorgeous and the interior is also very nice. Should be very reliable as well and performance is more than adequate.

I don't think a Jeep would fit. I pretty much need a luxury car.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 3, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You should definitely lease a new Q7.

- Audi's brand is stronger in China than everywhere else in the world, and it's generally seen as a "safe" car for well to do but responsible people as opposed to Porsche and Land Rover which are seen as a bit gauche and new money. I know you might be dealing with new money but I don't think this is the image you yourself would want to convey.

- I don't think there is any point in shopping for a used vehicle for your purposes. Your clients know the difference between a current gen X5 and a previous gen X5, and you want to have a vehicle that's going to stay new at least for a few years, since a 4 year old car is going to be a 6 year old car in 2 years. German vehicles are not cheap to maintain or even particularly reliable after 2 or 3 years of use, and it's not like they stop depreciating after the first owner. Do some spreadsheets with projected residuals and I think that the amount of money you save over the ownership period buying used vs leasing new isn't actually that much, and certainly not worth the penalty in prestige and additional hassle of shopping for a used vehicle, maintenance, out of warranty repairs, etc.

- The Q7 isn't even that expensive, they start at $55k, it's $800/month, your budget is essentially almost there anyway. Just get the base model, the badge is more important than the leather covered air vents or whatever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

Yes, but I was thinking German. Chinese car pricing is weird. Two cars that cost similar amounts in the US can have wildly different prices in China. In general European imports cost way more than Japanese imports for some reason.

Used Panameras are in my price range which would be perfect except for having only 4 seats. In China they start at like $200k.

I don't think a Jeep would fit. I pretty much need a luxury car.
Lease something. You don't want a modern german car out of warranty.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
What about leasing a new MB GLE, how do those compare to the Q7? They appear to be right in the same price range and seat 5 people + are German.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

You should definitely lease a new Q7.

- Audi's brand is stronger in China than everywhere else in the world, and it's generally seen as a "safe" car for well to do but responsible people as opposed to Porsche and Land Rover which are seen as a bit gauche and new money. I know you might be dealing with new money but I don't think this is the image you yourself would want to convey.

- I don't think there is any point in shopping for a used vehicle for your purposes. Your clients know the difference between a current gen X5 and a previous gen X5, and you want to have a vehicle that's going to stay new at least for a few years, since a 4 year old car is going to be a 6 year old car in 2 years. German vehicles are not cheap to maintain or even particularly reliable after 2 or 3 years of use, and it's not like they stop depreciating after the first owner. Do some spreadsheets with projected residuals and I think that the amount of money you save over the ownership period buying used vs leasing new isn't actually that much, and certainly not worth the penalty in prestige and additional hassle of shopping for a used vehicle, maintenance, out of warranty repairs, etc.

- The Q7 isn't even that expensive, they start at $55k, it's $800/month, your budget is essentially almost there anyway. Just get the base model, the badge is more important than the leather covered air vents or whatever.
Everyone in China is new money, but I get your point. :cheeky:

About older models, this is why I was looking for current gens.

Ok so I did a quick back of napkin comparison. A three year old S7 with extended 7 year warranty costs about the same as a new Q7. Three year depreciation ended up being a little less than the lease price of a new Q7. I would definitely prefer a 3 year old S7 over a new Q7.

The main advantage of a lease IMO would be the ability to deduct a portion of the cost off my taxes.

nm posted:

Lease something. You don't want a modern german car out of warranty.
You can generally get very good extended warranties for only $2-3k.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

98% of extended warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
The good (and bad) ones also exclude the LOL expensive services you start seeing after the lease term comes due.
Also, if probably exclude infotainment systems and the like, which are amazingly expensive, complex and control your HVAC and sound system. And maybe other stuff in an audi. Seriously, in Audis the emergency flasher button controls the turn signal (so if it breaks, which it will because audi) you have no turn signals. And that was on old cars.
Modern german cars are designed to last a 3 year lease plus maybe a 1-2 year CPO period. That's it.

If you do buy a used german car, buy it at carmax, because that is the only company that sells long warranties that cover anything.

Also, Re: audi, my brother has a CPO audi that had the engine out at least twice and the transmission out once (maybe twice) and even with an audi CPO warranty, getting them to cover that was a bitch and a loving half.

Let me be clear, you cannot get a "very good" 7 year long warranty on an Audi S7 for $3k unless maybe it is a carmax warranty subsidized by morons who buy 6 year warranties on Priuses. Even then, I bet it is closer to $5k.

Also, in 6 years, a 6 year old Audi S7 will be worth approx. 12 bux. I don't care what deprecation calculators say, a 6 year old performance audi will need to be given away.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 3, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gamesguy posted:

Everyone in China is new money, but I get your point. :cheeky:

About older models, this is why I was looking for current gens.

Ok so I did a quick back of napkin comparison. A three year old S7 with extended 7 year warranty costs about the same as a new Q7. Three year depreciation ended up being a little less than the lease price of a new Q7. I would definitely prefer a 3 year old S7 over a new Q7.

The main advantage of a lease IMO would be the ability to deduct a portion of the cost off my taxes.

You can generally get very good extended warranties for only $2-3k.

The S7 is a six figure Audi with a turbo-in-valley engine, DSG gearbox and air suspension. If you've found a 7 year warranty that will cover it for $2k-$3k well then I guess you should buy it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

The S7 is a six figure Audi with a turbo-in-valley engine, DSG gearbox and air suspension. If you've found a 7 year warranty that will cover it for $2k-$3k well then I guess you should buy it.

A real 7 year warranty. Most of them are poo poo that at best exclude everything and at worse fly by nite scams.
If this actually existed everyone would have 3 year old S7s.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

A real 7 year warranty. Most of them are poo poo that at best exclude everything and at worse fly by nite scams.

Well I haven't gone out looking for them so anything's possible. :unsmith:

That aside, you could get something that's actually more useful for carrying passengers in the back, something the A/S7 is notoriously bad at, and ostensibly what you actually want the car for. I just can't think of anything that fits the bill better. A 3 year old Q7 or X5 is obviously going to look ancient vs the new models that just came out last year and this year, especially the Q7 which until this year looked like a C5 A6 inside. The X5 is quite a bit smaller than the Q7 anyway so probably not as good for carrying stuff and people. The GL doesn't look too bad I guess but it's a bit more expensive and I don't really see it having much of an advantage.

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!
I'll need to buy a used car soon, and I'm strongly considering a Ford Mustang V6.
Budget: ~15K

What year/mileage combo is realistic in my price bracket?
Is picking a certified car at a dealer a road to go down?
What do I need to look out for?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Help me decide, goons!

I have decided to finally retire my beater '97 polo and pick up a new practical car to go with my silly coupe toy. I'm looking for something I can drive during the (fairly brutal) winters here, or when I'm transporting things too big to fit in the back of my TT or more than 2-3 people. It also needs to be fairly easy to get in and out of, as I live near my grandparents and am the person who usually drives them to family events/doctor/market. I'd like something cheap that will appreciate or at least hold it's value over the next 5-10 years, that I can wrench myself for the simple to moderately complicated stuff. Finally, it has to be fun to drive!

With that in mind, I've found two cars that interest me, but I can't decide which I prefer:

Audi B4 Avant 2.6 V6: http://olx.pl/oferta/sprzedam-audi-80-2-6-benzyna-1994r-CID5-IDefuq1.html

The sensible option, the galvanised body will make it winter-resistant, it has heated seats, cruise control and is clean as hell. As a small added bonus, it also comes pre-insured until Feb 2017 and with a valid inspection certificate.

BMW E30 Touring 318i http://moto.gratka.pl/tresc/bmw-seria-3-ii-e30-318i-b-dobry-18797017.html#282abc1303f3f5cc

The E30 option! It'll be more work to maintain and has much less in the way of creature comforts, but I've always wanted an E30 and they are only going to get more expensive as time goes on. The engine on this one is pretty uninspiring, but it goes and I would swap in something a bit meatier in the future as part of my plan to spruce it up a bit performancewise. Pretty sure it will be worth a fair bit more than I bought it for in the future as well. I am also a bit worried that in winter, road salt will do horrible things to it.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Grakkus posted:

I'd like something cheap that will appreciate or at least hold it's value over the next 5-10 years, that I can wrench myself for the simple to moderately complicated stuff. Finally, it has to be fun to drive!

With that in mind, I've found two cars that interest me, but I can't decide which I prefer:

Audi B4 Avant 2.6 V6:

BMW E30 Touring 318i

I admit to knowing nothing about the used car market in Poland but .. I am surprised that either of those cars would fit the criteria of being either easy to wrench on or having any chance of appreciating in value while being modified and driven? Also, not sure a 150hp sohc v6 or a normally aspirated 1.8 I4 of that vintage could qualify as sporty either but I guess that is a little bit more subjective.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The E30 is a better choice for what you describe, Polish man. B4 Audis are not reliable.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The E30 I would classify as fairly easy to work on, the Audi I know very little about from a wrenching perspective, is it a pain in the rear end? As for their values, the Audi is already worth a little more than the price that it is listed for - I wouldn't expect it to go up a huge amount, but I'm fairly confident I could sell it for at least what I bought it for in the future providing I don't beat it to hell. E30s are currently going up in price pretty fast, the one I linked is worth probably nearly double of what it's listed for, in the central/eastern European market tasteful modifications to the mechanicals don't really affect the price of sought after cars so a swap to an m20b25 or similar and some uprated brakes/suspension wouldn't hurt it (I wouldn't make it hellaflush or any of that garbage).

As for the fun to drive part, maybe I should have specified that I'm not looking for something that is going to blow my socks off, I have a sports car already, I just want something that is a little less anaemic than a 60hp polo mk3 :D a 10ish-second 0-100kph time will do me just fine.

edit: ^^^^^^^ how bad are they? I had always heard it was the V8s and quattro systems that were a bit ropey, and was hoping to avoid that by getting a v6 fwd. Is it still going to be bad?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I need to buy a new car, but I don't make a lot of money. My dad is willing to help me out by signing for me (lol), here is a list of cars that are in my area that I'm considering:

I don't do a ton of driving compared to a lot of people I know, my father-in-law is pushing me to get the Civic, but the dealership is being cagey with the actual price (I haven't spoken to them, but he did, and they kept pushing $109/biweekly instead of overall cost, the $15k is an estimate)

I like the Sonic personally, and it also seems to be the cheapest, I thought I'd come here like I did with my last car and ask for advice

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
The first car that I bought for myself was a 2011 Toyota Yaris back in 2010. I understand that research is super important in car buying, especially with used cars. My car is really young, but I don't want to put off the research for too long. I really enjoy and feel safe with this car, the price is very reasonable, all of my friends have great experiences with their Yarises, and when the time comes I wouldn't mind buying another one as long as some huge issue doesn't come out. Am I wrong for just wanting another Yaris hatchback a few years in the future?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yes because it's not as good as its competition.

On the other hand, who gives a gently caress, buy whatever you want. If you like the Yaris, it isn't so deeply flawed as to actively encourage you not to buy it. The Honda Fit is a better-designed and safer car, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I need to buy a new car, but I don't make a lot of money. My dad is willing to help me out by signing for me (lol), here is a list of cars that are in my area that I'm considering:

I don't do a ton of driving compared to a lot of people I know, my father-in-law is pushing me to get the Civic, but the dealership is being cagey with the actual price (I haven't spoken to them, but he did, and they kept pushing $109/biweekly instead of overall cost, the $15k is an estimate)

I like the Sonic personally, and it also seems to be the cheapest, I thought I'd come here like I did with my last car and ask for advice

I think the Sonic is the best bet for you. The LS is the non turbo engine so it will be quite reliable. The cost savings in initial purchase and insurance will more than make up for any additional repairs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sandpiper posted:

I called back earlier today to re-confirm some stuff, it's a 2.3 VTEC V4.

It turns out it's being sold from a repair/sales shop, and they have a CarFax on it so I should be fine in that regard. Because of that, I don't think I'd need to get a PPI run on it unless for some reason these guys are con artists and I'm being duped (I checked their online rep, and it's good), but I'm feelin' like this is my best option for sure.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

It's an inline four cylinder, an I-4. Don't say V4, it immediately exposes you as a credulous idiot to anyone trying to sell you a car. Either that, or you are really in to Lancias, old Saabs, or euro-market Fords from the 1960s.

Get an independent inspection. You can pay under $100 to have reasonable certainty about future repair costs. That is a good deal.

No PPI - best case scenario, you saved $100! Great!!! Worst case scenario - car is hosed, you spend thousands of dollars in unexpected repairs that could have been easily caught by a PPI
PPI - best case scenario - you spend $100 and find out that the car is hosed, preventing you from spending many thousands of dollars on the car, or providing you with negotiating leverage to reduce the purchase price of the car. Worst case scenario, you spend $100 and the car is reliable and great and you buy it with peace of mind. (the best case and worst case scenarios here can be switched, depending on your individual perspective)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think the Sonic is the best bet for you. The LS is the non turbo engine so it will be quite reliable. The cost savings in initial purchase and insurance will more than make up for any additional repairs.

I think I'll check it out on Saturday, as well as looking at the Fords. I'd like to knock some money off their price, any general tips for how to do that?

Edit: I also found one a little further away: Sonic LS, '12, 58k kilo, $8,603 with insurance $9 cheaper a month

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 3, 2016

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's an inline four cylinder, an I-4. Don't say V4, it immediately exposes you as a credulous idiot to anyone trying to sell you a car. Either that, or you are really in to Lancias, old Saabs, or euro-market Fords from the 1960s.

Get an independent inspection. You can pay under $100 to have reasonable certainty about future repair costs. That is a good deal.

No PPI - best case scenario, you saved $100! Great!!! Worst case scenario - car is hosed, you spend thousands of dollars in unexpected repairs that could have been easily caught by a PPI
PPI - best case scenario - you spend $100 and find out that the car is hosed, preventing you from spending many thousands of dollars on the car, or providing you with negotiating leverage to reduce the purchase price of the car. Worst case scenario, you spend $100 and the car is reliable and great and you buy it with peace of mind. (the best case and worst case scenarios here can be switched, depending on your individual perspective)

Thank you. Well, I'm just repeating what I heard over the phone word for word (V4) but I appreciate the distinction.

Going in a few hours, I'll take your advice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I think I'll check it out on Saturday, as well as looking at the Fords. I'd like to knock some money off their price, any general tips for how to do that?

Edit: I also found one a little further away: Sonic LS, '12, 58k kilo, $8,603 with insurance $9 cheaper a month

I'd pay the money for the newest and lowest mileage version you can find.

I have no idea what to benchmark for Canada. Internet suggested VMR, which also suggests that the '14 Sonic is in a decent range of reasonableness. You can look for any obvious blemishes or defects and try to get money knocked off, but the price seems pretty fair. The '12 Sonic is a bit high.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sandpiper posted:

Thank you. Well, I'm just repeating what I heard over the phone word for word (V4) but I appreciate the distinction.

Going in a few hours, I'll take your advice.

Also, if they won't let you take the car for a PPI, that provides you with a very useful data point.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd pay the money for the newest and lowest mileage version you can find.

I have no idea what to benchmark for Canada. Internet suggested VMR, which also suggests that the '14 Sonic is in a decent range of reasonableness. You can look for any obvious blemishes or defects and try to get money knocked off, but the price seems pretty fair. The '12 Sonic is a bit high.

Alright, I found this guy, which looks like a pretty good deal to me. I'm not in the area, however my dad is and he took it out for a test drive, said he really liked it, however it doesn't come with air conditioning, which is a Big Deal with my girlfriend.

She and I also worked out payments for it using an app and found them to be higher than anticipated. She believes that going around to dealerships and seeing what they can give me on a 2015 is a better idea- thoughts? My dad really likes it, but my girlfriend hates it, and unfortunately I have to try to find a balance between both.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

nm posted:

I just got a quote from CarMax for a five year(from date of purchase) extended warranty on a 2015 S7 for between 1800-4300 depending on deductible and mileage($50-$500, 75k-125k). I also know someone who bought a 10 year old E55 with a USAA warranty that he wouldn't stop raving about due to it paying out like $20k in repairs in just a couple of years.

Yes a lot of extended warranties are scams, but there are a few good companies that offer money losing warranties on unreliable luxury models that they probably recoup via selling warranties on new Toyotas.

Throatwarbler posted:

Well I haven't gone out looking for them so anything's possible. :unsmith:

That aside, you could get something that's actually more useful for carrying passengers in the back, something the A/S7 is notoriously bad at, and ostensibly what you actually want the car for. I just can't think of anything that fits the bill better. A 3 year old Q7 or X5 is obviously going to look ancient vs the new models that just came out last year and this year, especially the Q7 which until this year looked like a C5 A6 inside. The X5 is quite a bit smaller than the Q7 anyway so probably not as good for carrying stuff and people. The GL doesn't look too bad I guess but it's a bit more expensive and I don't really see it having much of an advantage.

I was just using the S7 to compare depreciation, I don't actually want one.

What do you think about a 2013 S550 versus a same year A8L? The S is the previous generation but is still IMO a better car. The A8's main advantage is it looks exactly the same as it does today.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mainland china loves audis.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Alright, I found this guy, which looks like a pretty good deal to me. I'm not in the area, however my dad is and he took it out for a test drive, said he really liked it, however it doesn't come with air conditioning, which is a Big Deal with my girlfriend.

She and I also worked out payments for it using an app and found them to be higher than anticipated. She believes that going around to dealerships and seeing what they can give me on a 2015 is a better idea- thoughts? My dad really likes it, but my girlfriend hates it, and unfortunately I have to try to find a balance between both.

If your financial situation is that bad, I suggest a reliable, high mileage compact.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If your financial situation is that bad, I suggest a reliable, high mileage compact.

It came out to be, using onlineloancalculator.org, ~$250/mth*, combined with $82/mth insurance, so the total cost would be $15,139.67 after 5 years... which in the neighborhood of the cost of a new Chev Sonic (my dad argues, however, that there are various other charges that go into buying a new car versus used).

I'm looking at lower cost, slightly older, higher mileage vehicles that are showing numbers that I like better.

* - Assuming 7%, which was a bit higher than what the guy thought he could get me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OK, what? That math doesn't make sense. On the one hand, you're calculating some weird half-rear end attempt at ownership costs (financing, asset cost and insurance) and then comparing it to the asset cost alone for a new Sonic. How does that make any sense? You are nowhere near the total five year cost of ownership in that estimation.

If you want to take a reasonable look at ownership costs between different options you need to include:
code:
Fuel
Maintenance
Insurance
Unplanned repairs
License / registration
Sales tax or other purchase tax
Vehicle cost
Finance charges
Whatever the value of the vehicle is likely to be at the end of five years

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I didn't most of that- here's a car I like that appears to be cheaper, what do you think of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gamesguy posted:

I just got a quote from CarMax for a five year(from date of purchase) extended warranty on a 2015 S7 for between 1800-4300 depending on deductible and mileage($50-$500, 75k-125k). I also know someone who bought a 10 year old E55 with a USAA warranty that he wouldn't stop raving about due to it paying out like $20k in repairs in just a couple of years.

Yes a lot of extended warranties are scams, but there are a few good companies that offer money losing warranties on unreliable luxury models that they probably recoup via selling warranties on new Toyotas.

I was just using the S7 to compare depreciation, I don't actually want one.

What do you think about a 2013 S550 versus a same year A8L? The S is the previous generation but is still IMO a better car. The A8's main advantage is it looks exactly the same as it does today.

Well if I had to pick one probably the Audi, mostly because it looks more or less the same as the new one like you said, but I also think the MB is kind of ugly so I'm probably biased.