Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

I love how lived-in the world seems, stuff like the mother and daughter living in the cabin who sell them out to the Daleks for a few scraps of food for instance.

Regardless of all other complaints (we should do a countdown of them!), this is one thing Terry Nation was very good at.

IceAgeComing posted:

i'm in the middle of watching dalek invasion of earth, please don't spoil the 50 year old story for me

Yeah, well, too bad.

Glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

After The War posted:

Regardless of all other complaints (we should do a countdown of them!), this is one thing Terry Nation was very good at.

The first episode of Blake's Seven is absolutely brilliant for this as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Click for HUGE

:swoon:

Even before I was old enough to know the significance of the location, this image was seared into my brain.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Click for HUGE

:swoon:

Even before I was old enough to know the significance of the location, this image was seared into my brain.

Where's Cillian Murphy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

I made the decision to watch School Reunion right after this episode. It really put the "hello Sarah Jane" scene in a whole new light, and this is from someone who drat near teared up the first time I saw it. :unsmith:

As a now 34 year fan of this show, watching School Reunion the day it originally aired was so fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What ridiculous waste in the defence budget! A deux cheveaux for an officer? Back in my day they only got un cheval!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish posted a full trailer for the 10th Doctor Adventures. I'm stupid hyped for this one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Big Finish posted a full trailer for the 10th Doctor Adventures. I'm stupid hyped for this one.

I made a cringey face at "I'm hanging from a banner with a skeleton around my neck". Come on, BF, you've worked out how to do audio by now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I made a cringey face at "I'm hanging from a banner with a skeleton around my neck". Come on, BF, you've worked out how to do audio by now.

I dunno...that really seems like something 10 would say even in a televised story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's a story I'd like to talk about - an old villain from the classic series of Doctor Who returns at the head of a mad scheme. She has co-opted the "afterlife", storing the minds of the dead in a piece of Gallifreyan technology and using them for her schemes of domination of first the world and then later all nearby galaxies. The Doctor is given the choice of what to do with the power of this "heaven", and in the end only one person can return from it to life. I'm talking, of course, about 2009's season 3 finale of the Eighth Doctor Adventures.

Short Synopsis: Lucie's out of her mind and the Doctor is the devil.

Long Synopsis: The Eight Fold Truth spreads across the galaxy, creating a hive mind gifting great power to the true leader of the cult. The Doctor has to figure out how to break the brainwashing of hundreds of billions of people all at once, restore Lucie to her own body, and clean up the leftovers of the previous season's finale.

What's Good:
  • The voicework. Due to the nature of the villain/s and how they occupy space, as well as Lucie's internal (and external!) dialogues, there is some neat stuff going on with the voice acting in the story. For Sheridan Smith in particular, there are lengthy sections where it is just her talking to herself... except she's having an argument with herself. It's remarkably well done, as you very much get the sense that you are hearing two completely different people arguing - it's only when I listened to the behind-the-scenes interviews that it really hit me that Smith was simply sitting in her recording booth performing two roles at the same time, with voice modulation and editing being used to enhance the impression of two people arguing at and over each other. Smith pulls off the dual roles very well, you can absolutely hear Lucie's voice in the other person, but she changes inflection, pace, emotion etc accordingly and comes across like a completely different person.

• The sound design. The story is expertly constructed, with Big Finish doing a very good job getting across crowd scenes, open spaces, confined spaces etc. That's their job, of course, but it is remarkable how much they've improved over a relatively short timeframe. Of particular note is the voice modulation they use for the villain/s - it's just enough to give them an alien nature, something crawling down your spine telling you these things are wrong, but it doesn't overpower the voices, make them difficult to understand or overshadow the actual underlying performance. Voice modulation has in the past been hit or miss for Big Finish except for when Nick Briggs is doing Dalek or Cybermen voices, but they really get things right this time.

• The sense of closure/new beginning. All throughout the season, there has been the underlying sense of unfinished business, of cleaning up the mess of previous seasons. The Doctor/Lucie enforced partnership being renewed by the Headhunter in Orbis, the stellar manipulator from Vengeance of Morbius being the elephant in the room, even the Doctor being fed up/detached from humanity after so many centuries of intense interest in their affairs and dedication to helping/saving them. By the end of this story, there is very much a sense that these issues have basically been cleared from the table. The Doctor and Lucie are friends and traveling companions because they genuinely enjoy each other's company, the stellar manipulator has been dealt with, recurring characters have seemingly had their stories come to a natural end etc. What looks to be a fresh start is a good thing in my mind, and I appreciate this story if only for wrapping things up so smoothly.

What's Not:

• The pacing. After the (excellent) cliffhanger of The Eight Truths, things kinda just meander along after that point. Aside from the Doctor performing a raid on an enemy stronghold early in the story, mostly what happens feels like filler to take up time before the climax. A subplot about a couple of villains trying to pull of a coup basically goes nowhere aside from teaming up the Doctor with another character. It's there to supposedly show us the fickle nature of the bad guys and how they can't even trust themselves, but that itself rather undercuts the supposedly horrifying reveal of the head baddy's scheme to turn on her own kind and make them slaves like the humans - it actually feels kind of justified now, because she's right, her people CAN'T be trusted. You could argue that the intent here is to show that it is in their very nature to be suspicious and treacherous, but the vast majority of them seemed perfectly willing to go along with her as the big boss with no sign of wanting to overthrow her. So there are a lot of scenes that end up feeling redundant or stuffed in to pad out the running time before everything gets to where it was going to be anyway. It's not so much setting the table as making everybody wait before they can sit down at a table that was already set for them.

• The "Lytton" Effect. Two characters in particular have had recurring roles throughout the first three seasons of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, one of them - the Headhunter - I think appearing in more audios than she hasn't to this point. I am not sure if they were Eddie Robson creations or not, or if he just felt a particular interest in them since he was the one to most flesh them out. But their return in this story and the emphasis they get feels like a step too far, like pet characters that the writer insists on including because he thinks they're just as important/interesting as the main recurring cast. Like Lytton from Resurrection of the Daleks and Attack of the Cybermen, the Headhunter is given plenty of scenes to showcase just how smart/clever/strategic/cool she is, all of which have basically the opposite effect. Early on she smoothly informs the head villain that should she try any of her tricks on her, they will fail because she is prepared for them. She is never caught by surprise or off-guard, always affecting not only disdain but indifference to most reversals of her fortune, often in fact suggesting that actually she was the puppetmaster pulling the strings all along to get everybody into position for HER scheme. A rather bizarre attempt at redemption occurs late in the story when she is attacked by the villain and manages to hold her off long enough to save the day, all while the Doctor calls her brilliant and expresses surprise at her actions and suggests that maybe he misjudged her. It smacks of the 6th Doctor speaking up on behalf of Lytton or his frequent declarations of the Rani's brilliance while she was mostly being an idiot, and for me it just doesn't work. By the time she's (seemingly) gone for good, all I could really think was,"Well thank goodness for that."

• The (lack of) impact. Sharing a fault common to the RTD years of the revival (and creeping back into the latter Moffat years), this story wants to have its cake and eat it too by having an enormous world-changing event happen openly in modern-day London/Earth (it was set in the "near-future" of 2015) and then just having everything go back to normal. The episode itself seems to recognize this, by having the Doctor attempt to make the population forget what they saw happen while a casual line is dropped of,"What do we do about all the news footage?". This disconnect between making everybody forget and the obvious/highly recorded & reported events of the story is particularly galling because a major theme of the previous story was the reporter who was hammering on constantly about the dangers of just accepting things at face value and questioning what you see. In essence the Doctor does what the villain did - decides for people what they should think - and even if he does it from a "good" moral standpoint, it meshes badly with the theme of the previous story. In the end, nothing really seems to have any impact, they might as well have kept the entire thing under wraps and had it all take place on a military base or some underground installation or some small village or something for all the impact it has on the wider world.

Final Thoughts:

Worldwide Web wraps up what was ultimately a pretty disappointing "season" of the Eighth Doctor Adventures. Mostly notable for its clever and unexpected use of an old Who villain, as well as surprisingly superficial similarities to the 2014 finale of Season 8 of the Revival (Dark Water/Death in Heaven), it is otherwise very much in keeping with the rest of the season - perfectly fine and listenable but not standing out in any way. The penultimate story - The Eight Truths - was a strong set-up, but unfortunately what worked for Eddie Robson in season 1's Human Resources 2-parter doesn't quite have the same effect here. As a demonstration of the acting skills of the main cast - particularly Sheridan Smith - and the skillful sound design and editing of Big Finish, it's impressive. But the underlying story doesn't really live up to that level, providing a competent but ultimately average episode. Recurring characters who have effectively lived out their welcome don't help, especially as one of them is talked up by the Doctor in a way that doesn't feel particularly earned or merited, smacking more of the writer wanting their pet character to be praised by an established one. However there is a sense by the end of the story that the baggage of the last three seasons has essentially been set aside, apart from one hanging plotthread of the Time Lords not being visibly present in the universe, this feels like a wiping clean of the slate so that the Doctor and Lucie can just head off and have some adventures. Their chemistry has been reestablished, they've put the past and all machinations/schemes/manipulations behind them and just want to go have some fun, and the ending where they head off for Christmas in Lucie's home of Blackpool is quite an endearing one. It remains to be seen (for me) what changes in season 4, but after that it seems like Big Finish realized they needed to shake things up, shifting away from aping the revival TV format in favor of big events like Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition. There's nothing particularly wrong with this story, but if this finale and season 3 in general was an indication of what was to be the norm going forward (and season 4 may be completely different for all I know) then I'm glad they decided to make a change and go for something a little more grandiose and exciting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. BF just announced the new Benny Summerfield/Who crossover set will feature Benny and the Third Doctor... David Warner's Third Doctor, battling Mark Gatiss' Master.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

Huh. BF just announced the new Benny Summerfield/Who crossover set will feature Benny and the Third Doctor... David Warner's Third Doctor, battling Mark Gatiss' Master.

This idea is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to Big Finish’s newsletter.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 3, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gaz-L posted:

Holy poo poo i love those Unbounds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Different strokes for different folks obviously, and I have no doubt the performances will be great - but I just can't buy into the idea of an alternate universe Doctor. It's purely something in my own head, but I just associate the idea of Time Lords being unique in time, in all the multiverse there is only one of each of them (just in the case of the Doctor and the Master there are multiple incarnations of that one running around in time and space having adventures!)

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

PriorMarcus posted:

I just assumed that Rose, being clever, knew she couldn't be in any of those pictures because she had already seen that she wasn't. She's always holding the camera.
I like this explanation.

Davros1 posted:

In a recent DWM feature, "The Fact of Fiction" about "Rose", RTD confirms that Ninth had NOT just regenerated.
But was that what he intended when he was writing the episode? It seems like the scene where 9 looks at himself in the mirror could only be referring his recent regeneration. That doesn't have to mean minutes after, but I don't imagine the doctor goes months without seeing a mirror. If that was his intention and he's changing it now since 9's season was shorter than expected then I consider the original intent of the author canon. Not that canon matters in this show.

jivjov posted:

I'd be willing to blow my entire 2016's worth of good luck if it was magically Chris Eccleston in box 3.
The only modern doctor I really really want doing audios and the only one who probably won't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Not that canon matters in this show.

Any show :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

My stepdaughter is writing an Arrow/Jurrasic World crossover as we speak...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CobiWann posted:

My stepdaughter is writing an Arrow/Jurrasic World crossover as we speak...

YOU HAVE FAILED THIS THEME PARK

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

STORM WARNING

Starring

The Doctor – Paul McGann
Charley Pollard – India Fisher
Lord Tamworth – Gareth Thomas
Lt-Col Frayling – Nicholas Pegg
Chief Steward Weeks – Hylton Collins
Triskele – Helen Goldwyn
Rathbone – Barnaby Edwards

XXXXXX

Writer Alan Barnes
Director Gary Russell
Producer Gary Russell
Jason Haigh-Ellery
Executive producer Jacqueline Rayner

XXXXXX

October, 1930. His Majesty's Airship, the R101, sets off on her maiden voyage to the farthest-flung reaches of the British Empire, carrying the brightest lights of the Imperial fleet. Carrying the hopes and dreams of a breathless nation.

Not to mention a ruthless spy with a top-secret mission, a mysterious passenger who appears nowhere on the crew list, a would-be adventuress destined for the Singapore Hilton... and a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey.

There's a storm coming. There's something unspeakable — something with wings, crawling across the stern. Thousands of feet high in the blackening sky, the crew of the R101 brace themselves. When the storm breaks, their lives won't be all that's at stake...

The future of the galaxy will be hanging by a thread.

XXXXXX

The Engineer Prime saying "Charrrlieeeee" all the time was very distracting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus

And it has "I don't know about art, but I know what I like" as a line unironically!!!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's obviously quite rough around the edges, which is understandable, and I don't think they quite have the Doctor's idiom down yet. I think that actually helps the story, though - you come away with the instinctive feeling that the roughness is hiding something potentially really great, when actually it's just covering up that the story is fairly by the numbers.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

But was that what he intended when he was writing the episode? It seems like the scene where 9 looks at himself in the mirror could only be referring his recent regeneration. That doesn't have to mean minutes after, but I don't imagine the doctor goes months without seeing a mirror. If that was his intention and he's changing it now since 9's season was shorter than expected then I consider the original intent of the author canon. Not that canon matters in this show.

Honestly, I like the idea that Nine just adventured around for centuries without ever taking a look at himself in the mirror. Either because that would be a quirky, Doctor-y thing to forget to do, or because he's just coming out of the Time War and doesn't want to look at himself.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

So is this set after Masters of War?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You guys write good reviews. Is there any centrallized platform for your reviews anywhere so I can read and make reference to them as I watch episodes?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Agreed, my reviews of audios are the best!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Different strokes for different folks obviously, and I have no doubt the performances will be great - but I just can't buy into the idea of an alternate universe Doctor. It's purely something in my own head, but I just associate the idea of Time Lords being unique in time, in all the multiverse there is only one of each of them (just in the case of the Doctor and the Master there are multiple incarnations of that one running around in time and space having adventures!)

That's not quite what the Unbound series is - there's no indication that they're considering these in an Inferno/Rise of the Cybermen/Mirror, Mirror sense where they exist parallel to "our" universe, and I'd be disappointed if they ever incorporated that. Rather, they're more "we'll do a different version of Doctor Who starting from this point" (mostly The War Games). They still feature characters and events from the stories we know, but treated more as pieces to pull from the toy box and incorporated how the writer sees fit.

And Masters of War is really, really good.

After The War fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 4, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

You guys write good reviews. Is there any centrallized platform for your reviews anywhere so I can read and make reference to them as I watch episodes?

Thanks, the first posts by Cobi and myself on the first page has a link to all of the reviews we've done.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Agreed, my reviews of audios are the best!

:agreed:

And I also agree that part of Storm Warning's charm is that it is rough around the edges, which helps to hide the (many) parts of the story that aren't all that great.

After The War posted:

That's not quite what the Unbound series is - there's no indication that they're considering this an Inferno/Rise of the Cybermen/Mirror, Mirror sense that these exist parallel to "our" universe, and I'd be disappointed if they ever incorporate that. Rather, they're more "we'll do a different version of Doctor Who that starting from this point" (mostly The War Games). They still feature characters and events from the stories we know, but treated more as pieces to pull from the toy box and incorporated how the writer sees fit.

And Masters of War is really, really good.

Well that's far more palatable, it might be something to look into if I ever get caught up on the monthly range.... and the Eighth Doctor Adventures.... and the 4th Doctor Adventurers.... and the 10th Doctor Adventures..... and the War Doctor range.... and the special one-offs/box-sets like The Last Adventure and the Fifth Doctor boxset..... and the spin-offs like UNIT and River Song..... oh my God :stare:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

To put it this way: ever look at yourself in the mirror, and think "Eh, I don't like the way my [facial feature] looks?" Is it the first time you've ever seen it? It's a little gag, like how every incarnation seems to believe that he is the only one with a impeccable fashion sense. The Doctor looks in the mirror, thinks he looks good, except for his ears.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

and the spin-offs like UNIT

The first UNIT spin-off, which is also quite good and sadly overlooked, features a character introduced in the first David Warner Unbound story! :eng101:

Played by a Scottish fella, David something. Doesn't matter, now you have to listen to Sympathy For The Devil.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Played by a Scottish fella, David something. Doesn't matter, now you have to listen to Sympathy For The Devil.

Heard he was a bit of a fanboy, he'll never make it in this business!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Heard he was a bit of a fanboy, he'll never make it in this business!

His accent is ridiculous. It's too bad he wasn't English.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Well that's far more palatable, it might be something to look into if I ever get caught up on the monthly range.... and the Eighth Doctor Adventures.... and the 4th Doctor Adventurers.... and the 10th Doctor Adventures..... and the War Doctor range.... and the special one-offs/box-sets like The Last Adventure and the Fifth Doctor boxset..... and the spin-offs like UNIT and River Song..... oh my God :stare:

Remember when you told me that there was so much classic Who I haven't watched? So much?

Welcome to the club. :getin:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Thank god I started at release 1, in 1999.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Remember when you told me that there was so much classic Who I haven't watched? So much?

Welcome to the club. :getin:
If there's any good thing about having impaired hearing, it's that I've not been spent all my money on Big Finish audios. :shobon: I have picked landmarks up like I, Davros and Spare Parts and made it through them, but trying to listen was too much of a struggle to justify regular purchases.

I wish BF included PDFs of the script with each story so that I could follow along, rather like closed captioning.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Thank god I started at release 1, in 1999.

On the flip side, you had to sit through the Divergent Arc in real time, you poor bastard.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

On the flip side, you had to sit through the Divergent Arc in real time, you poor bastard.

Ooof. Here, have something to lighten the mood...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Picklepuss posted:

If there's any good thing about having impaired hearing, it's that I've not been spent all my money on Big Finish audios. :shobon: I have picked landmarks up like I, Davros and Spare Parts and made it through them, but trying to listen was too much of a struggle to justify regular purchases.

I wish BF included PDFs of the script with each story so that I could follow along, rather like closed captioning.

for the later ones you get a PDF of the script if you subscribe: but I dunno how early that starts and you'd have to put down £50+ quid at a time, so its probably not worth bothering unless there's a run of interesting stories at a time that you'll be interested in.

Its actually a pretty good deal if you're interested in a run of monthly stories: it reduces the cost to about £9 per story regardless of whether you do a six or a twelve story one (they're both very similar: the twelve release one is slightly more expensive if you ignore the fact that you get a "bonus" release, which I'm pretty sure is limited to companion chronicles and such things). i did it last year for the locum Doctors trilogy since it worked out only a few quid more to subscribe and get six rather than buy three separately: and if I can get the money together I'm definitely doing it for the Two Masters trilogy thing and the three Seventh Doctor/Mel/Ace stories afterwards since both sound very interesting and I'm very intrigued as to exactly how the Ace/Mel stuff is going to work.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Ooof. Here, have something to lighten the mood...

I'm partial to this one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That hair looks like a cross between Bruce Lee's and a bomber cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was in Tesco earlier and saw this month's issue of DWM - I don't normally get it (collected it regularly about 10 years ago, have bought it maybe three times since Eccleston left) but this issue is a twentieth anniversary telemovie retrospective with never-before-seenTM behind-the-scenes photos and interviews with McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, Yee Jee Tso and (!) Gordon Tipple.

(No word on whether CGI Snake is interviewed.)

• Locked thread