Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

The first 3 books were great....then a long hiatus...then book 4 sucked...then a hiatus...then books 5 to 7 were godawful with one of the worst endings ever.

Dark Tower and ASoIaF are very much alike.

I liked Wizard and Glass. Other than that, yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked Wizard and Glass. Other than that, yup.

As far as I can tell, you'll love Wizard and Glass if (a) you didn't have to wait years for it and/or (b) you read the story more for Western elements than for the dimension hopping craziness.

I fit both criteria and it ended up being my favorite of the series. Basically just a western with a spooky undercurrent, which is what I'd started the series hoping for. The fact that the story doesn't move forward at all didn't bug me, since I knew it wouldn't ahead of time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TommyGun85 posted:

The first 3 books were great....then a long hiatus...then book 4 sucked...then a hiatus...then books 5 to 7 were godawful with one of the worst endings ever.

Gurm doesn't have the excuse of getting nailed by a car and quitting drugs to explain his descent into mediocrity.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Massive Season 6 spoiler dropped and you're all talking about Stephen King!?!??

https://vine.co/v/igaAi30I7ap

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

Dark Tower actually had an ending...

kind of....

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CaptainRightful posted:

Massive Season 6 spoiler dropped and you're all talking about Stephen King!?!??

https://vine.co/v/igaAi30I7ap

I must be a crusty old man because I hate vines so much. 6 seconds is really the limit of our attention span now? Wouldn't want anyone to get bored.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

I must be a crusty old man because I hate vines so much. 6 seconds is really the limit of our attention span now? Wouldn't want anyone to get bored.

I'm not watching all that. Someone wanna sum it up for me?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sansa doesn't die. That's it. Massive.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 2, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:aaaaa:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
did anyone even think she was going to die?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This post just gave me a brain tumor.

Not like you were using it anyway, goon.

When's the last time you even outlined a horrible smut parody, huh? That's what I thought.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yo T, got any more sick outlines for, well, anything?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SaviourX posted:

Well I am wearing some pretty tight underwear.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sansa is going to be the one sitting on the throne by the end of this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

On the show I'm sure she will marry Jon Snow and Dany will become the queen of Easteros or something. Why not.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
What would the North during winter resemble on Earth climate-wise? Would the weather transition in Winterfell go from the bottom of Scotland to the tippy-top of Norway? What the hell do they eat all winter anyway?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Correct me if I'm wrong but no flashbacks or novellas have ever been written during winter right? Only legends. GRRM has no idea how to write winter plausibly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Normy posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but no flashbacks or novellas have ever been written during winter right? Only legends. GRRM has no idea how to write winter plausibly.

The ADWD epilogue has Kevan see the white raven at pycelle's quarters which indicates that Winter has officially began, it's possible that some of the chapters from the north have occurred chronologically after the beginning of winter. In any way the conditions Stannis has been facing on his march seem rather winterish.

MrSlam posted:

What would the North during winter resemble on Earth climate-wise? Would the weather transition in Winterfell go from the bottom of Scotland to the tippy-top of Norway? What the hell do they eat all winter anyway?

It's a mystery. There were some goons in the past who pointed out how flora and fauna on earth have a hard time scraping through hard lengthy winters and that winters spanning the length of years would be a near apocalyptic event basically killing pretty much everything so it should be pretty impossible, gurm's winter is not really plausible either way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrSlam posted:

Apparently in Braavos the bay starts freezing over. So probably something similar to that at similar latitudes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm sure there's a bullshit fantasy reaaon an 18 year summer can produce enough for a 17 year winter. Magic silos.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrSlam posted:

What the hell do they eat all winter anyway?

Packs of wild spiders, big as hounds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MrSlam posted:

What the hell do they eat all winter anyway?

Didn't we go over this already?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
That thing gets more offensive the more I look at it.

It's like reverse Goatse.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Quote is not edit

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Unnamed One posted:

That thing gets more offensive the more I look at it.

It's like reverse Goatse.

lmbo

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011
They have greenhouses, Jon wishes he had some in dance. I have no idea if that would work in a apocalyptic winter but ramsay probably smashed them all anyways.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SaviourX posted:

High praise, coming from the Book Barn.

Paging Hedrigall for a mutual China love-in.

Also nominating this wizard for writing picture books:

What? This doesn't actually work like a pager, you know :P

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Oh dang, it was just some common forums parlance, I'm suprised you even check this poo poo show. (check the poo poo show, starting April 24th!)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I need a new avatar and my Wild Cards tag back. Any suggestions?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

She has an X-men movie coming out soon-ish, what are people's thoughts on how that movie's success is gonna influence her role in GoT? Like, if Jean Grey becomes super-popular, will GoT become the Sansa show? Or is all that poo poo set in stone already and HBO wouldn't really care?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SaviourX posted:

I wish I had the mental energy and time for writing these days. I was incredibly depressed last spring and I've been busy with education since.

But someday.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's a mystery. There were some goons in the past who pointed out how flora and fauna on earth have a hard time scraping through hard lengthy winters and that winters spanning the length of years would be a near apocalyptic event basically killing pretty much everything so it should be pretty impossible, gurm's winter is not really plausible either way.

It's not really even worth thinking about. Gurm has no idea how to write his basic story let alone make the world in any way logically consistent. Back when people still cared there were a bunch of bullshit theories about how the planet would need to change axis or orbits or some poo poo to have 20 year seasons but at the end of the day it's a fantasy world cooked up by a goonlord who really only thought things as far through as the "wouldn't it be cool if" stage as a backdrop for his deviant murder and liquid poop fetishes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IRQ posted:

It's not really even worth thinking about. Gurm has no idea how to write his basic story let alone make the world in any way logically consistent. Back when people still cared there were a bunch of bullshit theories about how the planet would need to change axis or orbits or some poo poo to have 20 year seasons but at the end of the day it's a fantasy world cooked up by a goonlord who really only thought things as far through as the "wouldn't it be cool if" stage as a backdrop for his deviant murder and liquid poop fetishes.

To be honest, that's all it really needs to be as well. People looking for real world explanations in a book about dragons and ice zombies should go read Moby Dick or something else that is full of mind numbing details like how to make aprons out of whale dicks and whatnot.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Solice Kirsk posted:

To be honest, that's all it really needs to be as well. People looking for real world explanations in a book about dragons and ice zombies should go read Moby Dick or something else that is full of mind numbing details like how to make aprons out of whale dicks and whatnot.

Asking a nerd not to nitpick petty details is like telling a butterfly not to fly. We gotta spread those chubby wings, baby. I don't need to consult climatologists and astronomers to to enjoy my low-fantasy book series, I was just curious how it's supposed to work in-universe. Maybe I'm coming off as the plebiest pleb here but to me Gurm seems to put a lot of thought into the details. So I can't help wonder if he expects entire ecosystems to play musical biomes and migrate 100 miles south while everyone north of Barrowton goes full Eskimo Inuit Mountain Clans every 10 years.

Hibernation is not a thing that would happen in Westeros, so anything that's not a polar bear would have to instinctively waddle south to survive (or use magic :smugwizard:). And all Google will tell me about frozen food is that it shouldn't stay in the freezer for a year, so I'm assuming medieval sensibility could make it last 2-3 years at most, but not 10. I assume there'd be caravans making a mint off running food supplies and hunting parties running all over hell, but I remember hearing somewhere that the North rarely trades with the south.

If this is one of those 12 Parsecs things and 'Children of the Forest did it' then whatever, I guess I'm fine with that. Nerds tend to think about things a lot more than authors do and now I get the general consensus that :iiam:

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 3, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The great other literally blots the sun or harnesses its energy or something equally stupid. Upon the reveal of this grand scheme Bran will complain about the fact that the simpsons already did it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

IRQ posted:

lol how the gently caress can Drogon fly when he's the size of an elephant but only has the proportional wingspan of an eagle

is gurm literally retarded

E: Have you guys ever heard of a "Forgotten Realms" setting? Apparently it has flat planets. lmao how would gravity even work there

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

E: Have you guys ever heard of a "Forgotten Realms" setting? Apparently it has flat planets. lmao how would gravity even work there

You mean planes, which are other dimension of existence and also part of the larger Dungeons and Dragons setting, not just the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, which takes place on the planet of Toril...
:goonsay:

MrSlam is right, we're just horrible nerds who refuse to accept "It's magic" as an explanation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Westerosi wheat has a shelf life of 10 years so they just have to harvest 5 times the amount they need per year and they will be set for a long winter (and probably into the spring). Boom. Winter livin' splained.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

King got hit by a car and the near-death experience made him rush the poo poo out of those books so that he could give the series closure before he died, which is the opposite of ASoIaF.

Granted if GRRM got sideswiped by a minivan we'd probably see the contents of his LiveJournal double within the span of few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Tim Burns Effect posted:

King got hit by a car and the near-death experience made him rush the poo poo out of those books so that he could give the series closure before he died, which is the opposite of ASoIaF.

Granted if GRRM got sideswiped by a minivan we'd probably see the contents of his LiveJournal double within the span of few months.

....poor minivan. It would need some serious repairs.