Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there a website I can search that tells me what's available on different Netflix regions?

I use unogs.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

None of that is unique to season 2 though. Like Flash or not like Flash, I just wish people would quit inventing some massive change in quality for shows that didn't happen. This goes for ALL shows, not just Flash.

These people just need to admit they got bored with the show and move on. Instead it gets turned into some huge diatribe against the direction the show is taking and how it had a gigantic decline in quality. No, it's the same show it anyways was, it just lost the new show smell.

I was saying basically the same things people are saying now during the last half of season one. It's just the season decided to double down on the stupidity and hasn't had any of the cool stuff that distracted most people last year.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Is there a term for the way that dramatic TV shows will introduce a bunch of new characters at the beginning of each season and act like they've always been there? Because marathoning shows and having it happen over and over, like with the Sopranos having a new batch of people get out of jail or move in every year, is really amusing even it's totally understandable.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

If Tom Holland is actually as good as has been rumored, then I won't feel as salty about the Flash not just ending now and Grant Gustin being the perfect combination of Garfield and Maguire's Peter Parker.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How's "The Killing" (US Version)? I can't say I've heard too much about it but it looks to be highly rated on Netflix and IMDB. Looking for something new to dive into now that I've finished Hannibal.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

How's "The Killing" (US Version)? I can't say I've heard too much about it but it looks to be highly rated on Netflix and IMDB. Looking for something new to dive into now that I've finished Hannibal.

Great pilot, mediocre red herring filled first two seasons, then the next two are actually good.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Mu Zeta posted:

The worst The 100 ever gets is the first episode where they land on the radioactive Earth and the song Radioactive by Imagine Dragons is playing.
Earliest shark-jump of a series ever. I can't believe they unjumped.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Earliest shark-jump of a series ever. I can't believe they unjumped.

......I don't think you know what jumping the shark means.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

IRQ posted:

What's' wrong with Fresh Off the Boat as a title?
They're not fresh off the boat. The central character is American born and raised, and the central theme of the show is that they moved from DC to Florida, not China to America.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Most people don't. It's like folks using "Mary Sue" in place of "protagonist I don't like."

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Most people don't. It's like folks using "Mary Sue" in place of "protagonist I don't like."

Or people describing a show as "high concept" when it just has a weird concept.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

The Killing is generally disliked by goons, including myself, although it does have a few defenders around here.

Ever watch a cop show like Law & Order where the cops go around talking to red herring suspects for about 5 minutes before it turns out that that the suspect has an airtight alibi, then they move on to the next suspect? The Killing is the first half hour of a Law and Order episode stretched out over two seasons.

Pretty much every every episode is them interviewing a potential suspect, then it turns out this suspect couldn't have possibly done it, but then there's another suspect that might have done it, move on to the next episode. Goto 10, Lather, Rinse Repeat. No, the next suspect didn't do it either.

That might be justifiable if the suspect's stories were interesting and engaging. Unfortunately, they're not. The showrunner thought that 'plodding and boring' was the same thing as 'deep'.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 3, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hughmoris posted:

People are bitter about it but it's quality drama that is severely underrated. The first two seasons are innovative television that are well worth checking out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would say it's roughly as good as Hannibal, at least a little better

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Boogaleeboo posted:

Wikipedia posted:

"Jumping the shark" is an idiom popularized by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest, which is taken as a sign of desperation, and is seen by viewers to be the point at which the show strayed irretrievably from its original formula. The phrase is based on a scene from a fifth-season episode of the sitcom Happy Days when the character Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis

I prefer the original definition, rather than how the term has drifted to mean "this show is bad now". I also believe it shouldn't be used until a show's second season, and generally with a show that was at least decent to begin with. And it should refer to using a dumb gimmick, showing that the showrunner/writers have run out of ideas. Or it can be a decision in the show that betrays everything the show stood for.
Like, when Survivor decided Russell Hantz was the best player EVER and also handed Boston Rob a season to win, and had the terrible, no good Redemption Island gimmick, that was sustained shark jumping. Survivor has since recovered, but it was a long dark period.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

I'm pretty sure it means the same thing over here as it does there too.

Confirmed.

It means Vagizzle.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Anybody else watch the premiere of Hap & Leonard on Sundance? I thought it was pretty good, a nice slow-burn story and some solid performances.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't know, that actually makes things less horrific. Like I think just getting completely up nature's rear end with no way out and eating each other, then dying slowly and painfully to like 9 different conditions, is pretty bad. I would imagine at that point a monster showing up would be a giant relief.

Has anyone ever done a dramatisation of the adventures of the Donner Party?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't know, that actually makes things less horrific. Like I think just getting completely up nature's rear end with no way out and eating each other, then dying slowly and painfully to like 9 different conditions, is pretty bad. I would imagine at that point a monster showing up would be a giant relief.

The monster starts attacking really early so it's more of a compounded thing where they're slowly starving to death AND there's a horrific beast randomly killing them. The crazy thing about the Franklin Expedition is that they actually had a lot of food to begin with but the outfitters went with the lowest bidder so their canned food was poorly sealed and went bad quickly. There's also speculation that they suffered from lead poisoning because the ships' water systems were badly designed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I remember reading that the tinned provisions they'd been given had been sealed with lead solder as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well, that's one of the more perfect casting choices I've ever seen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

Actually The Flash showed it was crappily written because iZombie started airing beside it and was doing actual good television with good writing, just not flashy (no pun intended) cape stuff.

Like on iZombie the generic love interest opposite the lead also kinda mopes over his fiancee leaving him but actually gets up to his own poo poo and drives his own plot. Meanwhile on The Flash Iris plans to investigate and find out who the Flash is except the writers literally abort her attempts at every turn (remember that picture she took of him when he zipped away from one of their meetings? that went nowhere). Oh and let's not forget how in S2 she basically is the gatekeeper for Wally West which is - let's be honest - the only reason she still has an active role in the plot, and anything affecting her is ancillary to that.

iZombie needs to do something about the whole procedural part being loving terrible though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess House of Cards s4 starts tomorrow. Get hype? :confuoot:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
S3 was very dull but I'm willing to give it a chance to recover.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really don't care anymore but this is Beau Willimon's last season so I may as well finish out his run.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

Ever watch a cop show like Law & Order where the cops go around talking to red herring suspects for about 5 minutes before it turns out that that the suspect has an airtight alibi, then they move on to the next suspect? The Killing is the first half hour of a Law and Order episode stretched out over two seasons.

OK, so here's the thing. All of this is true, but I found the actual investigators to be interesting enough to watch them repeatedly fumble around in the dark. The case is mostly terrible except as a way to watch it destroy and rebuild the lives of the detectives working it.

Also, there is some grade A scenery chewing in the first season by Michelle Forbes who plays the mother of the victim. I will not call it good acting, but it is Dramatic Acting.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Blindspot is so ridiculously bad but I love it so much.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I have about 0 interest in House of Cards season 4 but I know I'm going to binge the whole thing this weekend anyway.

I suspect this is what Netflix is banking on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know what HoC could do that's more entertaining than the current reality.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This week's Full Frontal really doubles down on the whole, Samantha Bee should have been the host of the Daily Show thing because she kills it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

sbaldrick posted:

This week's Full Frontal really doubles down on the whole, Samantha Bee should have been the host of the Daily Show thing because she kills it.

She was smart not to accept that job.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Terrible, and a huge waste of time. You caught up on Fargo?

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

thrakkorzog posted:

This is a spot-on description of The Killing. I don't think any show's ever shown more promise and yet been so utterly unsatisfying. Years later, the thought of it still gives heartburn.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

I don't know what HoC could do that's more entertaining than the current reality.

Not actually happen.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Like 90% of the backlash against The Killing is from people who are still bitter about spending months watching the first season when AMC putting out a new drama actually meant something only to have it end on a clifhanger. It's a fine show and even with the weak second season three and four are entirely new standalone stories that are great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Terrible, and a huge waste of time. You caught up on Fargo?

hahahaha A+

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Killing is awful but I really like Joel Kinnaman and I'm glad he's getting past Robocop.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The Killing is awful but I really like Joel Kinnaman and I'm glad he's getting past Robocop.

Yeah, that and Terminator Genysis. He's had some flops since Avatar but he's still got potential.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Has anyone been watching "Billions" on Showtime? I didn't see a thread on it and I've watched all six episodes so far. Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis are both pretty good in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't get it. Are you talking about Jai Courtney or Sam Worthington?

• Locked thread