Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Big improvements to Real Wiimotes on Windows 8 onward: Wii Remote Pluses now work without needing some hosed up custom bluetooth stack, and they support Wiimote audio! Y'know, out of that tiny little speaker that previously only screamed static gibberish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3JkJjvB0ZY

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
December progress report is up. Real Wiimote improvements, video fixes all over the shop, support for loading Gamecube/Wii system fonts from the Gamecube IPL, and a feature freeze scheduled for January 7th in preparation for the big 5.0!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The adjustable audio latency makes me want to go try to get through Rhythm Heaven again

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im trying to play bad jrpg arc rise fantasia but everytime i try after like 5 minutes the game throws up a "communications with the wii remote have been interruped". i'm not using a wii remote, and i've never had this problem with dolphin before. even playing this specific game. help, please

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cake Attack posted:

im trying to play bad jrpg arc rise fantasia but everytime i try after like 5 minutes the game throws up a "communications with the wii remote have been interruped". i'm not using a wii remote, and i've never had this problem with dolphin before. even playing this specific game. help, please

To fix your controller problem playing Good jrpg arc rise fantasia, press alt+F5.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I do that and I get Wiimote 1 Connected in the top left, immediately followed by Wiimote 1 Disconnected and nothing changes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the solution is to play skies of arcadia instead

but yeah i dunno, metroid prime 3 has a similar issue and apparently the fix for that it to untick "enable speaker data", so give that a try, i guess?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Really impressed with Dolphin lately. I got a projector in my new home theatre installed and bought a pretty beefy HTPC for emulation and VR stuff. I also bought a Dolphin Bar specifically so I could have effortless Wiimote support.

Games work great. It's awesome being able to play even Mario Galaxy and even Wii Sports Resort in 1080p on a big 120" screen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it at all possible to get at least some Wii games playable on a i7-2640m (Sandy Bridge 2.8/3.5Ghz) with HD3000? Admittedly I wasn't using the latest version for the test but it seemed to almost work - like, Mario Kart would run ok until there was more stuff going on, then it'd drop to like 40fps. Which would be good enough for me, but the emulated games are basically unplayable due to all the lag stuttering.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 13, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Probably not, it seems like you're running into GPU bottlenecks. Mario Kart Wii is pretty shader heavy I think.

You might have better luck with Gamecube games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What you're mostly running into with stuttering is shader compiles. We're (slowly, it's a hard problem) working on ubershaders, but in the meantime, simply playing through the game will eventually help the stutter, since we do cache the compiled shader binary.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The CPU is actually 2640m, not 2620m. Updated the post but it hardly matters.

SwissCM posted:

Probably not, it seems like you're running into GPU bottlenecks. Mario Kart Wii is pretty shader heavy I think.

You might have better luck with Gamecube games.
It's not like I can set the resolution even lower or change the graphics card, so I might never know :) although it didn't fare much better on my (Q6600, 650Ti Boost) desktop. Gamecube stuff runs perfectly fine but looks like rear end in comparison.

Suspicious Dish posted:

What you're mostly running into with stuttering is shader compiles. We're (slowly, it's a hard problem) working on ubershaders, but in the meantime, simply playing through the game will eventually help the stutter, since we do cache the compiled shader binary.

You're right, the actual serious stuttering goes away eventually, but it's still quite slow with seriously choppy audio. That's ok if it won't run faster on a 5 YO mobile CPU, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a config issue on my end. Also just tried the latest build and it seems to be way slower, is it compiled in debug mode or something? :v:

Anyway, thanks for your work, I'd love to help but my graphics experience is mostly with homebrew raytracing stuff and very basic OpenGL stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
January Progress Report. HD texture packs can now cast their hideous shadow over multiple regions of a game, an input timing fix squashes an eight-year-old Sonic Heroes bug, Androids now support the Gamecube adaptor, various graphical fixes, and the Dolphin team dip into the bargain bin to find games to test... with mixed results.

Also, a feature added three years ago only just got noticed, heralding in official support for Skylanders portals and certain other USB things.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm finally getting around to moving my whole collection onto my PC and I'm noticing some games, such as Skies of Arcadia Legends, have different compatibility ratings than what are on the wiki. For that game it's 4 on the wiki and 3 in Dolphin. I am running the latest Windows build (4.0-8867) so I'd figure that that would be it, but at least according to the wiki it should be good up to that revision I think?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Doesn't really mean anything, they aren't automatically kept in sync. I'd guess the Wiki ratings are more accurate.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
DX12 has just been added in a recent update!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Hey all, in a bit of a bind here. Was on the xenoblade chronicles emulation train 4 years back, Switched to a new computer, copied everything to a new hard drive, 32x to 64x. I am just now getting back to it, got the game working with a 64x build of dolphin but unfortunately my save states are not working. I have tried a few different builds of dolphin from 4.0, 3.5, and 3.0 but it just keeps crashing. Any ideas? For example if I were to throw one of my save states up, any chance someone could grab it and save the game to an emulated save or any such wizardry?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Hey all, in a bit of a bind here. Was on the xenoblade chronicles emulation train 4 years back, Switched to a new computer, copied everything to a new hard drive, 32x to 64x. I am just now getting back to it, got the game working with a 64x build of dolphin but unfortunately my save states are not working. I have tried a few different builds of dolphin from 4.0, 3.5, and 3.0 but it just keeps crashing. Any ideas? For example if I were to throw one of my save states up, any chance someone could grab it and save the game to an emulated save or any such wizardry?

If you still have the old build (or at least remember what it was; if it was a sound hack you might have to be specific about it), dig it up, save to an actual save file, then upgrade to ... probably the current nightlies.

If the build properties are written plain in the save state, this will help. I don't use save states in Dolphin so I wouldn't know.

Also you and anyone else this hits close to home should take notice that save states are a temporary save format for this very reason and almost always have been.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 24, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
February's post is up: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/03/01/dolphin-progress-report-february-2016/

Regarding D3D12:

quote:

The D3D12 backend is still experimental. Currently, it lacks bounding box support (Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mickey's Magical Mirror and a few others), External Frame Buffer support (GameCube Main Menu, many games), and Performance Queries (Super Mario Sunshine goo). Games that require these features will not work correctly. On top of that, as with anything new, there could be various bugs that the other backends do not suffer from. While users are encouraged to try out the new backend, please understand if there are problems for the time being while it matures. Also note that only Windows 10 currently supports D3D12, and only PCs running Windows 10 will be able to use the new backend.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The thing that's exciting about DX12 isn't that we now support DX12, it's that supporting DX12 is forcing us to clean up our code so it suits modern GPUs and drivers better, because we just have to do things correctly. So expect to see performance improvements across the board because of cleanups in VideoCommon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I was actually surprised Dolphin went with DX12 first than Vulkan, but I suppose the latter will come later either way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm kind of hoping that eventually there'll be a Metal backend, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Anybody's guess whether that will happen before or after Apple support for Vulkan.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i recently upgraded to a 4K TV, and if there's one thing it taught me, it's that boy howdy is dolphin a drat good emulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDtYDYLo-NA

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is The Last Story notoriously bad on emulators? Every time I try to run it in Dolphin it stutters like a motherfucker even during menus.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
yeah i've heard that the last story is pretty much the toughest wii game to emulate

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Is The Last Story notoriously bad on emulators? Every time I try to run it in Dolphin it stutters like a motherfucker even during menus.

its pretty much impossible to emulate well, yeah

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You can underclock it in dolphin and see if that helps

Cake Attack posted:

its pretty much impossible to emulate well, yeah

It runs fine on an i5 :shrug:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well maybe my computer just sucks then!

nah i was probably being a bit hyperbolic. it's pretty much the only game my computer can't run on dolphin, but i also haven't tried in like two years so new versions of dolphin might have better compatibility

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
afaik heavy stuttering is usually a case of shader cache generation

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I ran Last Story like a year ago and it worked fine, I have an i3.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I love the Progress Report updates.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can't post that without the context

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dolphin keeps crashing, with the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Dolphin.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5240867d
Fault Module Name: XAudio2_7.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c0643cc
Exception Offset: 000007fee1392891
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2264
Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
Additional Information 3: cbc8
Additional Information 4: cbc8838751246aac88a23ca383fc9ab4

What does it mean, and how can I fix it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
XAudio is crashing? Try using a different audio backend and updating your sound card drivers.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Suspicious Dish posted:

XAudio is crashing? Try using a different audio backend and updating your sound card drivers.
Updated my sound drivers, didn't seem to help.

The audio settings are greyed-out, and I can't figure out how to change them.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Don't just dolphin 4.0, use the latest build

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hace posted:

Don't just dolphin 4.0, use the latest build
I just used whatever was on my computer from a few years ago. Forgot how to transfer saves between builds anyway.

Did figure out what the issue was - I stupidly tried to switch audio options while already emulating something, which is not an option, apparently.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
You should still use the newest development version, 4.0 is dated as gently caress and there's been a ton of progress including game stability fixes and improvements to performance since its release.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Dolphin keeps crashing, with the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Dolphin.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5240867d
Fault Module Name: XAudio2_7.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c0643cc
Exception Offset: 000007fee1392891
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2264
Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
Additional Information 3: cbc8
Additional Information 4: cbc8838751246aac88a23ca383fc9ab4

What does it mean, and how can I fix it?

Do you have a touchscreen or drawing tablet? If so, try disabling it or killing the process tabtip.exe.

I've seen other games crash after exactly 15 minutes if you have a touchscreen and it being reported as being caused by XAudio2_7.dll.

Personally I've run into it with Street Fighter V and Resident Evil 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What could cause a game to not register Action Replay codes?

Playing through Fire Emblem - Path of Radiance. Right click on the rom in the Dolphin window, properties, AR codes. Checked a few, added 2 - "master code" and "bexp". Made sure they were for the US version, which is what I got. The config looks like this:
[ActionReplay_Enabled]
$Max Luck(IKE)
$Bexp
$EXP?
$Master code
[ActionReplay]
$Bexp
04330724 0000270F
$EXP?
04330724 0000270F
$Master code
C4221BA4 0000FF01

None of this has an effect in-game, whether I load a save state or restart a chapter from the game menu. What could be the problem, and how do I fix it?

• Locked thread