Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

NihilismNow posted:

Things change. Once their cars were pretty crap too and now they are fine.
Philips once made pretty good tv's and are now a badge for cheap chinese crap. So it goes.

Point taken.......quite well actually.

I do have a good friend that has a 2010 Sonata that had to have the transmission replaced two years ago. Despite their "best warranty in the industry" claims, Hyundai would not warranty it. Exception? Maybe. Then again, I'm a geezer so I never forget bad experiences.

I'm also old enough to remember my best friend's '87 Excel. The thing fell apart before he paid for it.

Furthermore, I like to tell kids to GET OUTTA MY YARD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno about what their cars now specifically are like but I generally won't buy a Korean car. A little part made by Bosch called an idle air valve broke on my VW Scirocco a while back. VW and Audi stopped using the part in 1990 and it was only used on a few models so it largely seemed like I was screwed, that was until a search using the Bosch parts number revealed that the exact same part was used by Hyundai/Kia starting in 1999.

Now the part in question is fairly generic and something you could use out of a parts bin. But I do question Hyundai's design process when a part wasn't used by any manufacturer for close to a decade, Hyundai had no real tie to Bosch at that point, and then that part suddenly appears on their cars. Seems a little too much like they went door knocking to find the cheapest price possible.

1999 was when they were still terrible. About 8 years ago is when they started making decent cars. I wouldn't prefer one but it wouldn't be worse than a chevrolet or fiat.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

NihilismNow posted:

Philips once made pretty good tv's and are now a badge for cheap chinese crap. So it goes.

They also make a drat good head for a screwdriver. Keeps you from overtightening the screw.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

NihilismNow posted:

1999 was when they were still terrible. About 8 years ago is when they started making decent cars. I wouldn't prefer one but it wouldn't be worse than a chevrolet or fiat.

Alot of the lower part of the Chevy range consists of rebadged Daewoos now. It's not that Hyundai improved alot so much as alot of the competition sank down to their level.

But I'm am irritable contrarian that insists the best cars were made in the 1980s so YMMV.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Their engines are the same oil burning buckets of crap. Samsung, LG, Hyundai, all the same incestuous families running that rump state.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

SquadronROE posted:

They also make a drat good head for a screwdriver. Keeps you from overtightening the screw.

Go on..........

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
In Portland, Oregon, Henry F. Phillips patented his own invention, an improved version of a deep socket with a cruciform slot, today known as the Phillips Screw. Phillips offered his screw to the American Screw Company, and after a successful trial on the 1936 Cadillac, it quickly swept through the American auto industry. With the Industrial Revival at the end of the Great Depression and the onslaught of World War II, the Phillips screw quickly became, and remains, the most popular screw in the world. A main attraction for the screw was that conventional slotted screwdrivers could also be used on them, which was not possible with the Robertson Screw.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

1500quidporsche posted:

Alot of the lower part of the Chevy range consists of rebadged Daewoos now. It's not that Hyundai improved alot so much as alot of the competition sank down to their level.

But I'm am irritable contrarian that insists the best cars were made in the 1980s so YMMV.

HAHAHAH never buy a car by yourself. Always have a more knowledgeable person with you. You have no idea what you're talking about and WILL get fleeced.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Americans have been buying Chinese for a while if they bought those tiny entry level crap boxes, Chevy makes now. Chevy trucks, and that's about it for that brand, and their trucks are more expensive than competitors.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is Kia bad? :ohdear:

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

My neighbor certainly thinks not. He drives an Optima. His wife drives a Sorrento. His kid drives a Rio. lol at people who have brand loyalty to companies that have been around for less time than my kids.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ford explorers, black, will make most think your a cop, it is a handy psych-element.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

red19fire posted:

5 years ago they were but now consumer reports gives them pretty good reliably scores for the price

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Nonsense posted:

Ford explorers, black, will make most think your a cop, it is a handy psych-element.

True. I know from experience. Also, gently caress people who buy old police crown vics at auction and do not repaint them. jfc what assholes.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

BigBoss posted:

HAHAHAH never buy a car by yourself. Always have a more knowledgeable person with you. You have no idea what you're talking about and WILL get fleeced.

You can just do your research and look up price by yourself, and then check your credit to get your interest rate.

I work in the industry; you know who always got top dollar for their trade, and bottom dollar for our cars? The people who did 20 minutes of research and came with information.

You know who got the opposite? The guys who think I was out to do battle and would piss and moan and hem and haw about me trying to "rip them off" versus sell them a truck that they chose.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Mar 4, 2016

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Navin Johnson posted:

True. I know from experience. Also, gently caress people who buy old police crown vics at auction and do not repaint them. jfc what assholes.

I have an all-white one that still has the post mount spotlights so I can freak people like you out. What are you gonna do about it?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Roger Craig posted:

5 years ago they were but now consumer reports gives them pretty good reliably scores for the price

And even the cars CR lists as the "worst" aren't actually bad. Modern automobiles from the major companies are very reliable relative to what they were 30 years ago. It's very unusual to see a modern car broken on the side of the road. So anyone who says, "I'm never buying brand X ever again because they're all junk!" is an idiot that has fallen prey to marketing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

paco650 posted:

I have an all-white one that still has the post mount spotlights so I can freak people like you out. What are you gonna do about it?

Do you enjoy going 5 under the limit any time you are behind someone?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

The_Franz posted:

I never go over the speed limit because I am a responsible and law-abiding citizen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tumble posted:

You can just do your research and look up price by yourself, and then check your credit to get your interest rate.

I work in the industry; you know who always got top dollar for their trade, and bottom dollar for our cars? The people who did 20 minutes of research and came with information.

You know who got the opposite? The guys who think I was out to do battle and would piss and moan and hem and haw about me trying to "rip them off" versus sell them a truck that they chose.

I've been trying to find a new used car all day today and I feel sick to my stomach :(

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
also I was a judicious ticketer when I was a police officer idgaf how much you think you're "supposed" to speed enjoy your ticket law-breaker

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wait, IBM is laying off 1/3 of their engineers?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The_Franz posted:

I just turn my brights on. I only slow to five below when I'm ahead of someone.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I've been trying to find a new used car all day today and I feel sick to my stomach :(

I can totally help you out if you'd like; I have access to national auction and dealership inventories. Shoot me a PM with what you're looking for and what you'd like for a budget.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Last time I bought a car was through my credit union, they got me a car for $2k less than I could at any dealer. They basically let dealers 'bid' on the loan, so they kind of flip the buying relationship so dealers are competing for your business.

I also hear you can get the same kind of deal through Costco's buying service.

That was, oh, nine years ago. Have things changed?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

a happy snowman posted:

Last time I bought a car was through my credit union, they got me a car for $2k less than I could at any dealer. They basically let dealers 'bid' on the loan, so they kind of flip the buying relationship so dealers are competing for your business.

Yea, you can check your credit and get a price from various places and have a similar deal in 15 minutes from home. Profit margin in cars like a Prius or Civic is crazy low now, and when you couple that with ridiculously low interest rates for longer term car loans, even if you do drive the price down another $500, you're still only going to see a drop in payment of like $10 or so a month.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

a happy snowman posted:

This sounds awesome. Any similar but not your credit union links? I want to shame mine. I'm a member at Costco, never heard of this though.

E: why the hell is Costco in this business?

Burt Sexual has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Mar 4, 2016

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
Costco is in every business

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

a happy snowman posted:

Stupid question, but does paying cash net any kind of discount for a new car? I've wondered if financing it can actually result a lower effective price for a car due to promotions or incentives, assuming you pay it off immediately. Or have they thought of that and not allowed it?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

meatpotato posted:

Stupid question, but does paying cash net any kind of discount for a new car? I've wondered if financing it can actually result a lower effective price for a car due to promotions or incentives, assuming you pay it off immediately. Or have they thought of that and not allowed it?

Finance for the lower, then pay it off next month.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

red19fire posted:

I rented a Soul and a Sportage last year. The Soul was actually a pretty nifty car, but the fuel economy sucked for a compact (couldn't get any better than 26-27 mpg highway). The Sportage had a terrible time handling the concrete expansion joints on I-16, making my trip to Savannah a chiropractor's wet dream. I'd buy a brand-new Soul and use it for around-town driving.

You couldn't pay me to drive one older than 2011, though.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Myriarch posted:

Thanks to my preference for classical music, radio is commercial free listening using a patronage model and a wide variety that provides a nice way of discovering new pieces. So just get a better taste in music goons and your radio problems will be solved.

What if I like jazz better but am mostly in my car between 6 am and 6 pm???

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

paco650 posted:

Key the gently caress out of you outside your retirement home.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Kia is for poors who want a brand new car instead of something slightly used but far more reliable. My friend's dad gave her 30k to buy a new car and she spent it all on a Kia sportage. Unbelievable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I rented a Soul and a Sportage last year. The Soul was actually a pretty nifty car, but the fuel economy sucked for a compact (couldn't get any better than 26-27 mpg highway). The Sportage had a terrible time handling the concrete expansion joints on I-16, making my trip to Savannah a chiropractor's wet dream. I'd buy a brand-new Soul and use it for around-town driving.

You couldn't pay me to drive one older than 2011, though.

I doubt see a point seeing how other brands like Honda and Toyota are basically the same price.

It's like the poor souls who willingly go out and buy a FIAT car.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Navin Johnson posted:

I actually know quite a bit about appliances. I worked in appliances at the Home Scampot back in the mid OOs. That was when LG first came out. We used to get quite a few LG fridges back within a week or two of delivery from random and mysterious leaks. I also worked for a bag packer manufacturer in the 90s. We were trying to sell some to Lucky Goldstar and one of their reps came over from Korea. I still have his business card.

Lucky Goldstar = LG. Remember Goldstar VCRs and TVs and poo poo? Same loving company. Worst electronics ever. Do NOT purchase Korean appliances. Overpriced pieces of poo poo..............

I had a wonderful experience with a Samsung LCD monitor. It lasted about 6 months before dying.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KiteAuraan posted:

I had a wonderful experience with a Samsung LCD monitor. It lasted about 6 months before dying.
Samsung is one of the best monitor manufacturers in the world. poo poo happens, and it was likely just a cap that blew.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nvidia

i mean how niche is a special processor that can only draw triangles and filling them in with raster images?

you can't build a whole company around that forever

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
What are the brands to go for for televisions now a days? I'm looking to get my grandfather a 60 inch hdtv sometime this year (well, pitch in) and as far as I know in terms of mid range that will last you but won't turn any heads was Insignia due to being the store brand rebrand of another company. I can't remember if it was Samsung or sharp. I'm feeling like it was Samsung. I'm hearing that anything not Sony or LG are garbage. I'm just looking for a tv that will last him the rest of his life and look pretty in 1080p while he uses my Netflix account. Sound is irrelevant since we have a sound system worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

vizio is the top mid-range brand

go to the hdtv thread in IYG it's not as bad as the rest of the garbage in that forum