Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
code:
And I say to myself

I need exact change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Archer has a lot to answer for when it comes to animated shows that are barely animated.

Pretty much all adult-audience animated sitcoms get away with looking like trash because ~*irony*~

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sealab and Space Ghost at least have the excuse of using old cels from bad Hanna-Barbera shows and probably not a lot of money.

TwoPair posted:

UH OH

"Chopper Dave, we have uh oh"

UH OH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3EOybIJmM

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

icantfindaname posted:

Pretty much all adult-audience animated sitcoms get away with looking like trash because ~*irony*~

Moonbem City looked amazing but nobody gave it a chance because they forgot adult-oriented animated sitcoms usually take a season or two to get good. :sigh:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

icantfindaname posted:

Don't you mean ~*BIZARRO irony*~?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Sleeveless posted:

Moonbem City looked amazing but nobody gave it a chance because they forgot adult-oriented animated sitcoms usually take a season or two to get good. :sigh:

To be fair, it's jokes were already running pretty thin by the time it got as far as it did.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Archer has a lot to answer for when it comes to animated shows that are barely animated.
Meh. It's not like its the only show to use that style (Frisky Dingo and Chozen were pretty much the same style) and I find it to be a style of its own.

axleblaze posted:

That type of thing goes back WAY further than Archer. If you really want to get to patient zero it'd probably be Dr Katz or Space Ghost. Archer is actually pretty well animated, especially when you compare it to the creators two previous shows (Sea Lab and Frisky Dingo)
Archer is pretty well animated when you compare it to early Archer. The quality of the animation has steadily increased.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
According to Craig McCracken, Wander Over Yonder is not getting renewed for a third season and the last episode will air some time in June.

http://crackmccraigen.tumblr.com/post/140529754374/wander-over-yonder-over

What a shame. WoY is a great show that's been knocking it out of the park so far in season 2.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I guess Disney just doesn't like the idea of being known for showing good cartoons.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

X_Toad posted:

Meh. It's not like its the only show to use that style (Frisky Dingo and Chozen were pretty much the same style) and I find it to be a style of its own.

Frisky Dingo and Chozen were made by the same guys as Archer (who were also the same guys who did Sealab 2021).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Thanks, South Park.

Sleeveless posted:

Early reviews doomed it by saying it was just an Archer clone. It ended up being pretty good, but by that time new episodes debuted at 1:00 in the morning.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Sealab and Space Ghost at least have the excuse of using old cels from bad Hanna-Barbera shows and probably not a lot of money.
At the same time, you have to give them credit for using those old cells and animating them in Premiere/Flash or whatever.

They were really trailblazers in that respect.
Sgc2C largely just reused the cels from the original.

Also, I think the rash of super failed Adult Animation series' from the mid/late 90s proved that good animation is a costly trade-off for a product that will perform poorly (but may result in a committed fanbase, as with Mission Hills).

What's the best Adultman's cartoon currently on TV? Bob's Burgers???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 6, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pakled posted:

According to Craig McCracken, Wander Over Yonder is not getting renewed for a third season and the last episode will air some time in June.

What a shame. WoY is a great show that's been knocking it out of the park so far in season 2.

quote:

Unfortunately, the higher up bosses of bosses of bosses at Disney decided not to continue with the show. It’s not that they didn’t like Wander, they just felt that 2 seasons and 80 cartoons was enough and they didn’t see the need to produce any more.

For the record, this decision had nothing to do with the ratings performance of S2.

DISNEYYYYYYYYYYY :argh:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

I don't even keep up with WoY and this is still so :psyduck: to me

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pakled posted:

That is incredibly depressing. I hope they wrap up everything tidily at least. :cry:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Macaluso posted:

DISNEYYYYYYYYYYY :argh:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

I don't even keep up with WoY and this is still so :psyduck: to me

That's...I guess remarkable restraint? Normally the way of doing things is to milk it for all it's worth.

I mean, I guess I respect them for not trying to make it live beyond what it could handle, but I feel like it had at least another season's worth left in the show. They keep on doing this, even going back to Spectacular Spider-Man and Kick Buttowski. I know the saying is, "always leave the audience wanting more," but this is ridiculous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Didn't they restrict Kim Possible to only 2 seasons until everyone shouted at them enough for a third season to happen?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least Disney gave Craig McCracken a reason for getting rid of Wander Over Yonder, as stupid as it was. Adult Swim didn't give Aqua Teen Hunger Force that luxury.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oh darn as cancelled a show that ran for 11 seasons. what horrible dicks they are.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Macaluso posted:

Didn't they restrict Kim Possible to only 2 seasons until everyone shouted at them enough for a third season to happen?

3 seasons and shouted for a 4th. I think it was something to do with syndication numbers, or like a Disney policy of only 65 episodes, MAX. After KP broke that limit it cleared the way for Phineas and Ferb to go on super long.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Toxxupation posted:

oh darn as cancelled a show that ran for 11 seasons. what horrible dicks they are.

If it was still keeping up quality, yeah that's pretty lame man.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

The creators wanted to keep doing it forever (hence why the last season was called "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Forever") but Adult Swim arbitrarily said that the 11th season would be their last. It's a head-scratcher as to why, it's an iconic AS series that's been around almost since its start and it's inexpensive to make. I'll just chalk it up to "Mike Lazzo is an idiot."

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 6, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Y-Hat posted:

It's a head-scratcher as to why, it's an iconic AS series that's been around almost since its start and it's inexpensive to make. I'll just chalk it up to "Mike Lazzo is an idiot."
Did anyone really keep watching it after the Movie? They took such a hiatus making that, I just lost interest.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

The creators wanted to keep doing it forever (hence why the last season was called "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Forever") but Adult Swim arbitrarily said that the 11th season would be their last. It's a head-scratcher as to why, it's an iconic AS series that's been around almost since its start and it's inexpensive to make. I'll just chalk it up to "Mike Lazzo is an idiot."

Adult Swim really isn't going for the "lazy stoner cartoons that cost us fifty cents an episode to make" demographic anymore, Aqua Teen Hunger Force was just a hanger-on from a different era.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They're going for the "awful live-action stoner shows that cost a deal more to make" now then? :v:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
The shelf life of most Adult Swim shows is pretty short (about the same as the amount of time it takes to earn a college degree). I'm surprised ATHF has been on this long.

I think the only two AS shows I watch anymore are "Rick and Morty" and "Mike Tyson Mysteries". I used to watch "The Heart She Holler" but that was more of a "can't look away" than "watching".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Yardbomb posted:

They're going for the "awful live-action stoner shows that cost a deal more to make" now then? :v:

Their non-Tim and Eric live action stuff is amazing, tho...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Flobbster posted:

The shelf life of most Adult Swim shows is pretty short (about the same as the amount of time it takes to earn a college degree). I'm surprised ATHF has been on this long.

I think the only two AS shows I watch anymore are "Rick and Morty" and "Mike Tyson Mysteries". I used to watch "The Heart She Holler" but that was more of a "can't look away" than "watching".

I am so ready for Samurai Jack to be back.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Saul of the Mole Men was the best live thing they ever did.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Saul grew on me, but Eagleheart is pretty much the pinnacle of their live-action stuff.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEz3c6ItG9Y

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It really seems like CN doesn't know what to do with scheduling right now. Like I didn't see any advertising for their new thing, which is new Regular Show and Adventure Time on Saturday nights.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

muscles like this? posted:

It really seems like CN doesn't know what to do with scheduling right now. Like I didn't see any advertising for their new thing, which is new Regular Show and Adventure Time on Saturday nights.

They ran plenty of commercials for it, actually. It seems like they're moving away from the new episode bombs and going back to weekly new episodes. I'm just assuming they're letting some of the shows build up a good log of episodes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Live action on adult swim peaked with Eric Andre. Most of their other live action stuff has been pretty meh which is probably why they've been relocated to Friday night death slots.

As long as there's more squidbillies though, I can accept ATHF being canceled.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Children's Hospital rules

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Flobbster posted:

Frankly I'm shocked how long Venture Brothers has lasted, that show seems like it was destined for a top ten list of "Shows that were cut down before their time"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

achillesforever6 posted:

Frankly I'm shocked how long Venture Brothers has lasted, that show seems like it was destined for a top ten list of "Shows that were cut down before their time"

I liked it more when it was a parody of Johnny Quest rather than an actual superscience adventure show with a protective layer of irony but I can't complain about getting a new season every few years.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Y-Hat posted:

At least Disney gave Craig McCracken a reason for getting rid of Wander Over Yonder, as stupid as it was. Adult Swim didn't give Aqua Teen Hunger Force that luxury.

Turner Broadcasting gave an ultimatum that the unfinished Boston parody episode, which they scrapped in production and initially made in defiance of the incident, would never be shown. It leaked a few months before they announced they were ending the show. Seems pretty likely to be the cause.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Do they ever air anything besides Nicktoons on The Splat? I remember when it debuted they played the stuff I used to watch on Nick: Welcome Freshmen, Clarissa Explains it All, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, Are You Afraid of The Dark?, You Can't Do That On Television, etc. Their web site still lists a couple of those shows, but any time I think to myself "hey, let's see if they're playing anything I liked back in the day" the only things I see are Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, Catdog, or As Told by Ginger. Maybe I'm just too old for their retro block.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems like they're moving away from the new episode bombs and going back to weekly new episodes.
I was gonna say "then maybe they should do that with other shows besides their two biggest ones," but then I remembered that We Bare Bears and Clarence (btw Clarence is still really good and everyone should watch it) are on weekly as well. It's a good move on Cartoon Network's part.

Gaunab posted:

As long as there's more squidbillies though, I can accept ATHF being canceled.
Great minds think alike. But they should cancel it immediately in case Unknown Hinson dies, since nobody else can do justice to Early Cuyler.

CRINDY posted:

Turner Broadcasting gave an ultimatum that the unfinished Boston parody episode, which they scrapped in production and initially made in defiance of the incident, would never be shown. It leaked a few months before they announced they were ending the show. Seems pretty likely to be the cause.
I remember hearing about the Boston episode being the cause of its cancellation, but I'm pretty sure that this was just speculation. Did any proof come out about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

The world became a slightly brighter place when someone finally put a bullet in ATHF. I hope it was buried deep.